Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News boss apologises for not linking 5 hot days in late July to climate change

Comments

But you are? Lead me. Be my Shaman but can you please just first present the evidence to show that the flooding in middle Europe in the last week was due to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Climate change evangelism is what RTE have pledged to partake in

The apology was RTE showing contrition for not being devout enough

WOKEness is a religion

You say less than 1% of1% of the people that read this site are scientifically literate. As if reading a scientific paper is anything more than ploughing through college thesis bullshit to find the point trying to be made. Get over yourself. If science has something to say it is well able to say it, succinct and clear, without vitriol or virtue signalling for twitter likes.

Your writing here don't strike me as scientifically minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

This is exactly the kind of scientific illiteracy I was talking about. Thank you for proving my point.

You think that there would be peer-reviewed scientific articles written about an event that happened last week, yeah? Bish bosh there’s your paper, out before the end of the week. Two pounds forty.

It’s not a Ryder Cup round up, mate, papers like those would need to researched, written, analysed, rewritten, reanalysed, peer-reviewed, published, etc etc.

Scientific analysis of specific phenomena actually need time and the steady heads of learned, educated professionals to comb through the events and determine what happened with a scientific lens. They’re not gonna be spunked out in a week in order to prove some lorry driver on the internet wrong. You just don’t get it.

I have never read such rubbish in my life. Science has to be “succinct and clear?” For who? For you, because you don’t get it? Do you think they have to take all the big words out or something? Do me a favour.

• Advertisement

It is, and always has been, succinct and clear, unless it is convoluted with bull ****. Some people wallow in that bull **** and call it science. They do this to say that less that 1% of 1% of people understand them. I suspect you may be a wallower

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weird that people keep appealing to the science when the vast majority of scientists who study this have come to the conclusion that anthropogenic climate change is a real and measurable phenomenon.

appeal to science and then ignore the science. black is white.

Ah ffs, climate change is a real thing. Stop tilting at windmills.

Absolute nonsense and yet again it betrays the user base of boards’ lack of scientific know how: scientific papers should have a turnaround time of less than a week and they should be about as long as a Tweet.

And these are the people who demand “evidence” over and over again, like they could even begin to understand what they would be reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement

Condescending you. Firstly you assume people are simple and then speak down to them because you mistakenly believe you know better.

There's flooding EVERY year in middle Europe and still no proof collected over those years that it is caused by climate change because it simply isn't. The climate in middle Europe is one where it is possible for humidity to build up over weeks and then the heavens release the rain and it comes down in buckets. It is a different climate to Ireland. The Irish are used to incessant light rain, The Spaniards I know are used to dry heat. They can't endure the climate here as the humidity saps their energy completely. I knew rains were coming as it had been humid for too long. I had hoped rains were coming to give a little relief from the humidity that is normal at this time of year in this part of Germany. The rains when they came lasted longer than expected due to meteorological conditions where no clear relationship to climate change can be established.

Now, tell me again where is the proof that the flooding in the last week was due to climate change or have we just witnessed a new heretofore unpredictable paradigm in the last week in which case it wouldn't matter how literate or illiterate we are as it hadn't been documented. You can't have it both ways much as you'd like it.

Direct quote from the article:

'In recent weeks, we've seen a series of unusual weather events, from record hot temperatures in Canada and the northwest United States, to deadly floods in Germany and Ireland's heatwave.'

Ah I don't know where you are going with this man, the thread was about an Irish indo article referring to the head of RTE news article.

I'm too tired now and this websites glitches are driving me up the wall so, apologies, I'm not investigating your Rueters point further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that's what raised a load of eyebrows. RTE bought a story from reuters and changed little except the headline which they spun in *quite* a different way to the source article. just shows how 'woke' RTE is as people claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

This is the most valid point in the thread.

There have also been extreme weather events going back to the beginning of time.

This planet has evolved from the Ice Age (the hint is in the name) to where we are now.

From then to now and for the next God knows how long there will be climate changes and extreme weather events.

How we act on planet earth obviously affects certain changes but using climate change as an excuse for every single extreme weather event worldwide just doesn't ring true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Climate scientists in NUI Galway have said the heatwave is linked to climate change.

Again Ireland isn't somehow in a bubble unaffected by climate change just because other parts of the world are experiencing far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm not disputing that climate change is a thing but I just don't think that 7-10 days of warm summer weather that was not extreme is down to global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RTE is a shyteshow nowadays.

Why the flying fook should the boss of RTE news apologise for this?

This is pandering to the modern social media driven ethos where people have to apologise for not being liberal enough, left enough, inclusive enough, nice enough, environmental enough, and yes that awful term woke enough.

It is vomit inducing.

And is yet another reason why a lot of people are going out of their way to be counter to all of the above.

We all know the climate has been changing, milder winters, more storms, wetter seasons,etc, etc.

We don't need some gobshytes on RTE to tell us that and most definitely do not need the overpaid head of RTE News to apologise for not telling us.

The same station that refuses to cover anything that doesn't fit the convenient narrative on a lot of social and current affair issues yet have the fooking gall to advertise themselves as purveyors of honest coverage.

A pox on their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had to laugh at them on the radio this morning describing the flooding in Swords and Malahide as apocalyptic and due to climate change.

A friend working for the council told me the drains were blocked.

There was a bit of water built up for about 10 minutes before the pressure unblocked the drains by itself and it all went away.

Same happened in Kenmare last year. A tree that washed down and got stuck against the bridge, blocked the waters path under the bridge and caused a big flood there until the tree got pulled out. And in the interviews they couldnt help but blame it on global warming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Your skills at googling and linking are to be commended. However, you neither claim to be a/ present to view the news articles at the time b/ an expert on climatic conditions to assess the paper for validity. The paper does mention the publication in noted news sources at the time articles pertaining to cooling and these were then disseminated to the newspapers which the part of the public discourse..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look at mega fires in America and Australia they get worse every year many states in America are running out of water farmers are letting land go as they have not enough water to raise plants

Look up heat dome usa record high temps are now being seen in many parts of america

Portland has had some days where its over 105 degrees its obvious we are seeing the effects of climate change

Portland usually has mild weather before August

I cycle every day I notice the last year its raining less often we can go 2 weeks without rain

Yes 10 days of hot weather is not unusual in Ireland in summer time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Using a couple of days as "proof" of climate change is exactly why we have climate change deniers...

Couple of hot days in summer...

Climate change is more about trends and prolonged changes...

Although there is some interesting core samples, that suggest that at the birth of the renaissance the world's temperature was raising... something like .5 of a degree as opposed to the 1 degree since the turn of 2000's...

So some of this increased temperature is possible natural...

i'm a person with a stupid username on a discussion forum, surrounded by people with stupid usernames on a discussion forum. who here is an expert on climatic conditions?

weird that if i try to back up an argument with sources, my sources are dismissed because i'm not an expert. however, on the assumption that you're not an expert, you cannot refute the paper. so we could go around in circles on this.

Well we can all Google a topic then throw up an impressive looking link backing it up without even bothering to read it.

Luckily for us we have science expert CGI_Livia_Soprano on hand to interpret such knowledge which is beyond our comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's not just RTE they are all at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I was full sure it was going to be Waterford Whispers News when I read the headline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Wasn’t the vast scientific consensus that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around it until Copernicus??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anyone here that smug git on today fm this morning delighted in taking the credit for making RTE apologise.

Supposidly it was him and his merry band who complained and made RTE backtrack.

He went on to mention his teenage daughter who was part of the schools marches 2 years ago etc.

Unbelievable.

Hottest day on record in Ireland was in the 1800s.

Bet he didn’t know that.

Advertisement