Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its not that interesting really.

I get that its raceweek though so time for you to start this stuff up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not even the "car is designed for his teammate" shtick. That was a big one last year when vettel needed a dig-out.

Suppose it depends on the popularity the driver. More popular drivers get more excuses. The usual story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭McFly85

Vettel is a 4 time WDC, so I think it's natural for some people to look at other factors because they've seen how good he's capable of being. Bottas has never had a period in his career of sustained top performance or dominance where you could think "we've seen how good he was, there must be something else wrong".

The car being developed to suit Hamilton is a complete non-runner, we've seen Russell race in it after a couple of days of driving it and he was a puncture away(after a botched pitstop) from at least a podium. If someones doing that well in a short space of time you would expect more from Bottas.

The team preference is fairly obviously Hamilton, but even still, he's never really put Mercedes in a position where they'd really have to think about that.

Simple fact is he's an ok driver in a great car. He's never been consistent enough to be considered anything more than that.

I'd agree with that assessment re the car design. But I think the fact that it suited Russell doesn't meannit suits Bottas. Last year we got entirely bais based assertions that the Ferrari was built for Leclerc (even before he drove for the team. Not joking, some posters went as far as saying that).

I think bottas is just good and not great, so he's outshone his top tier teammate. But like you said, people found it hard to accept the same reasoning when Vettel was beaten by a faster teammate.

Leclerc has gone on to prove pretty conclusively, over the last 3 years since he joined Ferrari, that he's just better than Vettel is. And instead of applying the same logic to both, the excuses are roled out for one and not even considered for the other. Likeability is a big difference in the calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

Toto on Bottas this morning saying "If we come to the situation that we wanted to give somebody else a go, then it's not only my relationship with him but also the responsibility that he has a great future, because he deserves that" - sounds like he will be leaving based off this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

Red Bull have lodged a petition to review the penalty given to Hamilton. As required for the petition, it is based off new evidence that wasn't available to the stewards at the time. After the flexing wings, pit stops and now this, I personally hope both teams are given a firm shoe up the arse and told to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Sounds like a load of virtu signaling pisshh from Mercedes and Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

Is there any topic you can't shoehorn a bit of Vettel hate into?

As for Bottas, he's doing everything Mercedes ask of him so I would be very surprised if they replaced him.

They're not even pretending that he's there to do anything other than support Hamilton these days. He spends qualifying acting as a tow truck rather than optimising his own performance, his race strategy is always built entirely around disrupting Red Bull rather than maximising his own result, and in the event he overcomes those hurdles and ends up ahead of Hamilton without other cars between them then they just tell him to invert the cars anyway.

He's had this role since he joined Mercedes, he's one of the slower drivers on the grid but also the most compliant. Toto Wolff has never hidden the fact he doesn't want a repeat of Rosberg, he's stated as much publicly. Put an above average driver in the second Mercedes and if and when they beat Hamilton regularly, Lewis will start throwing toys out of the pram, putting conspiracy theories against his own team out into the media, making private telemetry available to competitors, and all the other things he's done in the past when he's had to race another driver on fair terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah pretty cynical throwing a few quid at a charity to try and distract from the fact that their dirty tactics are being further investigated. The charity doesn't come from their budget cap of course, unlike Red Bull's repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hamilton donated 20m of his own money to it, hardly a few quid nor a 'virtue signal'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would say this is a standard process for them to ensure they have all their ducks in a row regarding the potential overspend they have now because of a wrecked engine - as far as I understand it, they can go over budget, but need to evidence why that is at the end of the season to the FIA(could be wrong there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Saudi GP tickets on sale, 3 day tickets from €450 to €5700/

saudiarabiangp.com

Post edited by smurfjed on

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Don't even bother with that here. Lewis could donate both his kidneys to dying kids and posters would call it virtue signalling.

I know, doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out on their idiotic stance, and one can just look at their post history to see the foundations of their objections

Bottas is one of the slowest drivers on the grid? And you would be surprised of Mercedes replaces that slow driver? Are you serious or just saying it for the sake of discussion.

As a matter of interest, since bottas is roughly matching Perez this year, where do you rate perez? Would you rate him similarly as one of the slowest drivers on the grid?

The criticism of hamilton has become parodic. If he lends support to a cause, its virtue signalling. If he sets up an organisation to advance the cause, its virtue signalling. If he donates a huge chunk of money to advance the cause (literally putting his money where his mouth is), its virtue signalling.

I don't like the guy with the shite he talks about racing, but I can't fault his activism or his driving ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭BikeRacer

The irony of you giving out about a poster shoehorning hate of any driver when you continuously post your regurgitated anti-Hamilton drivel is beyond hilarious.

How many programs were set up and money put forward by Lewis and Merc to be inclusive, promote diversity and encourage minorities before?

Out of interest.

The only thing I can find about "mission 44" before 11 hours ago were to do with levels in computer games.

I donate to various charities via contributions through work, might stick an announcement in the local paper.

Seems now that its the "in" thing they need to jump on it and broadcast it.

Well this was the first steps

https://www.hamiltoncommission.org/

Cool, was that before his BLM stunt?

Out of more interest.

• Advertisement

It was hardly a stunt, and yes it predates it. Careful now, your mask is slipping

Autosport: Has Formula 1 ever increased a penalty after an appeal?.

Autosport article on previous penalty appeals and how they worked out. There is precedent for having a penalty overturned but no penalty for having a penalty increased by another team.

It's not clear what RB is playing at, probably just making fuss to pit pressure on to gibe Hamilton a harsher penalty if the opportunity arises

Had a quick Google there, the "hammilton commission" wasn't setup before he started pontificating about George Floyd.

On my part, I'll end the Hamilton back and forth there.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with regards a mask slipping.

Has there ever even been retrospective action on anything regarding penalties in F1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

And rightly so.... Hamilton's actions by knocking Albon of the track twice cost them a podium and an almost certain victory, and maybe even cost him his career in F1....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

I've just booked tickets to Spa at the end of August. Admittedly Gen DTS and it'll be my first F1 experience. We have tickets for Gold 2 on Sunday so here's hoping we get a good view out of the hairpin and up over the hill.

Can anyone recommend a good town to stay in for the night? As we're so late booking, Maastricht looks like a good bet with shuttle buses available but open to recommendations.

Also, any tips for visiting the track would be appreciated!

Well, the article linked shows the times that happened. Some penalties were overturned on appeal by the penalised party. Irvine had his penalty increased when he appealed it himself.

Never has someone appealed to have a penalty increased on a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

We just have the ticket for race day but the more I read up on the circuit the more I'm inclined to spend the extra €100 for a weekend pass. Is it feasible to walk around the track in the morning and then move p to the stand for the F1 at 2pm?

I went to Spa a while back, camped just outside Les Combes. Amazing weekend. Mates walked the entire track on the Saturday, took them a while :D It's been long enough since I was there that I don't know if it'd be the same but back then there were lorry containers in the campsites used as stages with lasers and smoke machines, people set up massive marquees with space for 50 or 60 people, great craic altogether.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement