Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Watch that. Its very good and explains the thinking and research behind the new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

They talk about it being cutting edge and futuristic, then explain what a petabyte is in terms of filing cabinets full of paper 😔

Disappointed to discover that the cars are going to be even heavier, they're already far too heavy as it is. Hopefully it does pay off with closer racing. Interesting to see how many aero bits will be under the floor, looks like drivers might have to be very careful over the kerbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Yeah, was going to ask how will it work if those very important aero bits get absolutely ripped off the car.

Also, they dragged the hole out of unveiling the new design on Sky.

Post edited by Hijpo on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Russell is contracted to Mercedes. They won't let him go to another team like Alpine or McLaren - both have drivers for next year anyway. He's had his years in Williams and he's done his apprenticeship. They need to sh1t or get off the pot re Russell.

I don't know if RB would seriously sign him. He'd probably be a step up from Perez, but RB isn't looking for a top driver, they want a good no.2 standard driver and Perez is doing that job very well.

Hard to know what will happen. People within f1 seem to rate Russell highly so that's all we can say for sure.

Re drivers jumping from the bottom team to top teams: that's the whole point of aving feeder teams. Toro Rosso was designed to provide exactly that service (though they have generally been mid table). All the rumours are that it's just a matter time before they pull the trigger on Bottas and announce Russell for next year.

Red Bull could only hire him if he was out of his Merc contract, in which case he'd be available to McLaren / Alpine / whoever at the same time.

I disagree that he'd be a step up from Perez, we just haven't seen enough evidence to demonstrate that. Perez is a proven race winner and has a history of continually getting great results in midfield teams. Russell still has a lot to prove, I do think he's been flattered recently by Williams making a step forward with their new funding injection, combined with Latifi not really being F1 material. As I said, Giovanizzi has scored a point and Russell hasn't, and Latifi has been outqualifying Alfa Romeos recently so I don't think you could say for certain that the Williams is clearly a worse car.

And yes, teams do have junior driver programs and feeder teams. Which is why it makes sense for Russell to step up to Mercedes, but makes no sense for him to suddenly step up from Williams to Red Bull even though they have their own junior program and their own feeder team - like I said, if they were going to take a driver outside their own stable they'd take someone who's proven himself at the sharp end, like Perez had, like drivers such as Norris and Sainz are currently doing, like Russell has yet to do.

• Advertisement

Latifi finished 2nd in F2 before getting into F1. He's no slouch.

Russell won GP3 in his first season in 2017. Then he won F2 in his first season in 2018.

Let's look at I dunno, Alonso. 1999 he won the Euro Open by Nissan series. 2000 he finished 4th in Formula 3000. Then he went to Minardi for 2001 and finished behind Tarso Marques (who dat?). Sure Jaysus not showing much potential there. Actually just clicked 4 random races from that season and Alonso smashed him by over a second in qualifying for all the races. But obviously that means nothing, only points do. 🙄

Anyone with a clue can see Russell has it. We've seen Riccardo (who at least kept up with Verstappen) move teams and struggle now. Russell jumped from the worst car to the best car and was beating the guy who's been at the team for 4 years without properly fitting in the car.

Regarding Latifi, he finished 2nd to a driver who never made it to F1. It took him multiple seasons to get up to second having done much worse previously (most drivers move on from F2 much earlier than that so those years of experience are a big boost), and his whole career is just a litany of losses to people who never got close to F1.

Russell beat Bottas in one race, yes, but at least 90% of the grid could beat Bottas and remember that Russell has extensive experience in the Mercedes simulator, he was used to racing a Mercedes engine with all of its settings and quirks week in week out, it wasn't like Hulkenberg jumping in at almost zero notice without having driven all year, or Ricciardo getting to know a completely unfamiliar team of people and set up (and it's not like Ricciardo's current performance is the bar to be comparing against).

I'm not saying Russell isn't a good driver, he clearly is. But I just find it crazy to suggest that Red Bull would ignore all of their own in house talent and ignore the drivers who are currently doing the business scoring podiums and big results at midfield teams, just to jump at the chance to hire someone who's outperforming a pay driver teammate and not quite scoring points in a car that's had a big development push and is not looking particularly slower than the Alpine or Aston Martin at this point.

90% would mean there are 2 who wouldn't. Care to name the just 2 who wouldn't beat Bottas? In a car they're not used to and don't fit in properly.

It wouldn't make sense for Red Bull to take Russell right now, they have a generational (at least) talent in Verstappen. I was more talking about the generalised nonsense on this board about Russell being overrated. He has a junior-category record that outshines even Hamilton's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You're suggesting Bottas is in the bottom 10% of drivers... that's how far you need to go to make this point. Christ almighty.

Let's assume Latiffi and Mazepine are behind bottas, are you seriously saying that he likes of Schumacher, Giovanazzi, Kimi, and Tsunoda are all better than Bottas? Wild suggestions altogether. Veering that far from reality to make a point, renders the point pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

The Saudis are buying a share in the McLaren Group for 550 million which will bring their sport washing tab up to 2 billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ugh, as if the Bonesawco ads littering the tracks weren't obnoxious enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

I agree that Russell is definitely a talented driver but as mentioned by another poster there is no way RB would replace Checo with him. First of all Checo is getting the job done for RB. He is getting podiums and even has a race win under his belt. RB are also currently P1 in both championships. Even if that changes they have a very talented pool of drivers to pick a replacement. Personally I would have Lando, Sainz and Gasly ahead of GR. Sainz is probably the most underrated driver on the grid, and I am sure RB regret not promoting him when they had the chance. I think he is locked into Ferrari for at least another 2 seasons. Gasly could leave AT if he doesnt get promoted soon but CH doesn't seem keen to give him that second RB seat. Lando could be great and I think might even challenge MV. This depends on how he adjusts to the car and if HM and CH give him the time to settle. I would like to see GR in the Merc next year. He could very well prove me wrong. It's very difficult to judge a driver from a far especially with all the variables that come with F1.

Ms

Proof the English football fans are just the worst fan,

Terrible that happened to him. I hope whoever mugged him gets caught.

Ms

What a weekend of racing we have Silverstone Formula 1 live qualifying tonight a sprint race tomorrow and then the race on Sunday and W Series live as well tomorrow and that is just the ones I know about.

Any other racing on this Weekend?

Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

WEC is at Monza for a 6hrs. Last race before Le Mans.

Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Eurosport, the WEC app, or the Motorsport.tv app (also covering the Super GT, Porsche Cup Brazil, Ferrari Challenge North America and some karting)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ms

Tom Cruise is on Channel 4s program this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cruise was facetiming the England team last week.... what is the deal with him? Is he promoting something or are we about to hear about him investing in some sports stuff this side of the atlantic?

Maybe its just a case of famous guy doing things.... but it feels like he is a bit more present in brit media at the moment than i would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

I think they were filming a new movie during the pandemic, I expect its out pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maverick is his next film out - but that is November I think. Maybe they are spooling up the PR for it though.

^ Now that is nice. Those Xbox controllers are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yep. I just saw that now in this article.

The Aston Martin is my favourite livery on the new car to date. It looks gorgeous.

Although Ferrari have not done a mock-up on the new car yet. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Russell needs to be in a better car to progress as a driver, he's extracted the absolute maximum out of that Williams and still driving it is only holding back his development imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

With the new car design it means cars can follow closer, therefor they shouldn't need help from DRS to get passed cars quicker on straights, will it be removed at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

According to Sky, not initially but the aim is to remove it because, as you said, it shouldn't be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

At least it'll make circuits like barcalona watchable

• Advertisement

Frank Williams documentary on BBC4 now in case anybody is interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement