Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

i'm not one for knee-jerk reactions but the lack of activity on the few forums/threads I use almost 2 weeks after the update is shocking. The communities are dying.

I realise it's a long climb down and a bit embarrassing, but you guys need to face facts. The move to Vanilla will kill boards and plans need to be made to move back to vBulletin before it's too late. This is one of only two internet forums I still use and I use it because of the people, half of whom I haven't seen post since before the update and a few still posting hate the new site. It's only a matter of time before they stop visiting as much as they used to and then eventually never visit.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

At a minimum something has to be done about the soccer forum. One of the busiest forums on boards is a ghost town.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Noticed the distinct absence of "The usual suspects" myself. Maybe offer some morsel to entice them back? And becoming boring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

A problem with that seems to be that it doesn't appear on the main list of new posts.

I wonder would it be better just to allow everyone access to it? The threads would appear on the front page then.

I know access was requested previously because of the amount of ****-stirrers in it, but you could deal with them by banning them in the normal fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Try this:  https://boards.ie/profile/comments/ 

I am starting to save the ^ many helpful links (the admins and mods are posting in various places) on my profiles "activity" box (copy and paste, then hit share to save them on your profile), so I won't forget how to do what we used to be able to do, and have them at the ready when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Surely it's time for a new website to be created in the aftermath of this update? a new completely separate team with expertise to capitalize on the failings here. i'd gladly jump ship. I don't even visit this site much now, can't get my head around it and so frustrating I can't locate certain topics I had saved. who the hell cares for booking marking threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Just be aware whatever you post there is public. If you go to the bottom of any page and click on 'Activity', you'll see what everyone else has done.

You're not adding anything private, but just be aware if you post on another user's wall everyone can read it. A but like the old profile page visitor's messages, but no option to set it to private.

Okay, FFS how hard is it to reinstate the follow "My Forums"? function?

I've an absolute pain in my arse now having to endlessly scroll up and down through categories to try and find stuff I posted on before, and squinting at lists of links that are not even laid out in a way that makes them easy to read.

Enough is enough, Boards. Fix it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly, this is a complete shambles.

The site is unusable, the UX is utterly terrible. Roll it back now.

This won't work. Boards is all about the community that has been formed here over the past 20 years and the information in the thousands of threads created over that time. They need to fix THIS site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So two weeks later and the site is still a complete and utter shambles.

The owners need to swallow their pride and go back to the old version of the site. Everyone has no confidence in the new site and the longer the owners prevaricate, the more users they are going to lose.

Change it back now please before it is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I was going to add to my original post, but the edit function is hidden behind three dots, who knew eh?, was to echo complaints over the loss and lack of followed threads. As a user of this site for nearly 20 years, I simply couldn’t be bothered at present because it too much of a pain in the hole to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Finding this site a nightmare to use. Why can't you delete old posts? So many missing features, did anyone think this through? The website barely functions as a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Disappointing, generally have tried to give it a go but it is a really difficult and less user friendly environment to post in. Tbh I was open to change, the old site had lots of issues so was looking forward to seeing what this brought however its currently a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Please rollback, the mobile site is an absolute shambles. Its so difficult to use and navigate. I’d assume a lot of people like myself use mobiles when browsing boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"Community" WAS the heart of Boards, Vanilla has swept that vital aspect away. I fear Boards cannot survive, not to mention "thrive" without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its as though the move from the old boards to the new platform was a basic scrape of the existing posts/threads data and plonked into the new platform. Its the shoddiest platform move iv ever come across to be honest, its quite amateur tbh. To think boards.ie is a for profit business too is sort of mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Is rolling back an option? If so, I suggest you use it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's time for the Boards executive team to meet in an emergency session and find the quickest way to bring in outside expertise to roll this back as soon as possible.

Once that's done and a project timetable has been agreed and communicated to the users, the executive team should resign, with a couple staying on in caretaker roles to facilitate transition.

They have a window where a good bit of the damage can be repaired, but with each passing day you're going to lose more members who won't bother coming back. Sadly I don't think they'll do what needs to be done and will continue down this path. It'll be such a sad end to boards.ie and one that was easily avoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ahhh boards, will you just fix the "My Threads" and "Thanks" menu buttons. I can live with everything else. It's next to impossible to find the hot topics and my active discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

This won't be rolled back even if it should be. They've gone to far down the road now to admit their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Can't believe this has only got 11 likes! Maybe there are other similar posts that say much the same thing that have hoovered up other nods of approval.

My Forums, My Threads, My Discussions.......MY ARSE!!!!

How about just "My Posts"? Nice and simple. Unambiguous. Easy to follow. I can't believe it's such a grind for a database programmer to implement either. This must have been a "strategic" ie deliberate decision by those commissioning the "upgrade" (sic).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Good tip @Deja Boo Thanks for that.

It's a pain that is not sorted yet on desktop, finding own posts, but that will help, until it's fixed...(if that ever happens) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

(desktop) It's not the same but here's a direct link to your posts/comments - on desktop there's no official link in your profile 🙄

https://www.boards.ie/profile/comments

(mobile) It's under your avatar-->view profile-->scroll to bottom-->comments

Post edited by archfi on

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You need a degree in coding to be able to use basic features of the site now

it's like the codebase for this site was done in something like Microsoft Visual Studio 5.0 from 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I think I use Boards differently to lot of the regulars commenting here, I almost always log on and just browse the latest posts so I can see a random mix as well as my own general areas of interest.

There used to be three pages of Latest Posts to browse so you'd always see something but now it's quite limited, I don't see that mentioned on this thread. Can we get it back so there's more Latest Posts available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It took me 3 minutes just to find this thread again! Oh man, this really needs a look at. Surely being able to find your active discussions WITHOUT bookmarking the discussion or searching for it needs to be top of the list of things to fix.

How was this missed in "testing"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This is brutal.

What can find "My Posts"?

Advertisement