Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭ EmmetSpiceland

I’m not sure that’s a good idea. I doubt they could get anyone with the necessary “experience” to take the job.

I know there’s a few “techie” types on here who think they’d be well able but this isn’t some ‘Call of Duty’ or ‘Warcraft’ LAN, it’s a business.

He/him/his

“When you're used to privilege, equality feels like oppression”.

#bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ Esel

Change the default options in Profile -> Notifications

There are a load of them preset. I unticked the vast majority of them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭ Larbre34

Which was my first sentence.

It need not be a permanent job, a short term contract would do it, but the Chief Exec needs to go

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 31,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo

Deleted a few off topic posts. If folks want to squabble about the merits of other websites go do it somewhere else.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

At least all the mod stuff was fixed anyway. Priorities.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 65,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Beasty

It's not. We all have very limited powers. The only thing I can do that is on a par with the old site is to siteban people.....

Probably wouldn’t be too bad a way to leave ye for a while and start afresh seeing as you’d all lost the run of yourselves long before the change. Fresh start and a happier site overall would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭ xieann

Roll back so that the Prison can have spectators again. The spectators cannot Thank the mods there either.

Remember Covid 19 don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,299 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal

Why is the soccer forum different from the rest? It's as dead as everywhere else but looks even worse. Why all the avatars?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ Burt Renaults

This is very harsh and unnecessarily personal. They'll get the site back to full functionality - just be patient and give them the time they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,893 ✭✭✭✭ Ads by Google

It's so easy as well to fix things like that. I'm guessing they'll get around to it to it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭ fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,893 ✭✭✭✭ Ads by Google

They call custom javascript "JS hacks" so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭ mfceiling

New site is rubbish.

I found out yesterday how to follow forums on mobile. Great. Follow 2 particular forums and now when I open them all the threads are mixed up between each other.

Complete balls of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭ threeball

It feels like a site where they closed the old version down then sat down to have a meeting about how the new one should work, knowing they had to be back up and running in a couple of days.

I know its free to all users, but as they say if you're not the customer, you're the product. One of the worst handling sites I've ever used whilst the last was excellent. Not a clue why anyone would bother change it bar maybe some cosmetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭ shanec1928

The definition of an upgrade according to the Oxford dictionary is raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

they have so far missed the mark its beyond mental how it even managed to get this far and now ignore users feedback. No users = no forum. It’s fairly simple. The feedback forum must be the most active since the upgrade and that’s saying something.

They haven’t even got an updated privacy policy or cookie policy both of which are required under gdpr. I’d have some concerns about any data processing agreements they have signed given the incompetence that has been shown so far.

it’s sad that a few users have provided code to make a better user experience and it’s been completely ignored. If it was my site I’d be extremely embarrassed about that and the lengths people are going to just to be able to use the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,721 ✭✭✭✭ Deja Boo

Vanilla seems to have ripped the good things of Boards to shreds, and made it hard to navigate what's left. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,721 ✭✭✭✭ Deja Boo

What is this "small" you're referring to?

You mean the largest Internet forum in Ireland? The site with "more than 360,000 members, 3,200,000 threads and 64 million posts"?  The site which "expanded into a number of other countries"?

...That "small" message board? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ chewythefirst

All i want is a dark mode option again :( to dame bright!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭ GBX

Thread here (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200272/diy-desktop-site-customisation-use-at-own-risk#latest ) on using an add on with Chrome to enable dark mode (among other adjustments to how the site looks) or you could use a full on extension for complete dark mode with no other changes to how it looks.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cdeb

The one that actually made it onto XKCD's map of the internet in 2010.

I think to be honest, the changes being made are decent, and I can understand the need to switch from an old platform - but really the two key items for me (and probably most users) are notifications by thread, not by post (otherwise I get to 99+ and I delete them all) and auto-subscribe to threads you post in (otherwise you lose them)

I don't think they've been addressed at all as yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭ loyatemu

why the move away from vBulletin to Vanilla though - I don't remember seeing an explanation for this. vBulletin is still being developed and supported right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭ spaceHopper

Having to have threads explaining how to use the new side it total faining of design, alway remember "if you are explaining you are losing"

It's been well over a week now and it's still sh1t, totally sh1t, the new look and feel gets in the way. For example I can't quote one sentence from another post, only the whole thing. And that is just one thing. Come on boards explain your plan to fix this or role it back and say sorry.

Advertisement