Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We landed on Mars... again? [Mod note post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You said "Sir Isaac Newton" twice on the same line. Just wondering why felt the need to give his full credentials? Newton fan?

Why won't you tell me which experiments he did that any fool can repeat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what in particular is it that you have disproven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

OK, lets' be specific, in secondary school, first year, maybe second, we did experiments proving the 3 laws of motion.

Your turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Why won't you answer any questions put to you.

You're fixating on a rather odd point.

In which post did I contest the three laws of motion? You need to read my posts carefully before trying to start debates.

• Advertisement

And yet more running and hiding.

Be brave, state your beliefs and what science has got wrong, it's the conspiracy theory forum, no one will bite.

What are you talking about? I was very clear on my position but you couldn't be bothered to read my post carefully. It's quoted above again for your information. I made it abundantly clear that Newton's theories of gravitation and orbital mechanics have zero experimental foundation.

But they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halley%27s_Comet#Computation_of_orbit

Why do you believe they are wrong? What do you believe is the correct view for gravity?

Why do you keep ignoring questions?

Do you think that if you ignore questions they will go away and no one will notice?

apart from all the satellites we have placed in orbit and the rest of the US and Russian space programme? how did they did manage that if their understanding of gravity and orbital mechanics is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I know this was started back in Feb but I'm only seeing this now. I'm sure this has been mentioned already BUT:

Concorde was actually commercially viable and turning a profit for British Airways. What really killed it off was the lack of spares and servicing. Once the crash happened Airbus saw an opportunity to withdraw providing spares and maintenance for the plane. In actual passenger service it had been economically viable for BA for a number of years.

• Advertisement

while it may have turned an operating profit for BA it never returned the money invested in it. Given that only 14 ever flew commercially it was never going to be a commercial success.

And proved wrong one post later, but at least we have established that you agree with the fundamentals of the 3 laws of motion.

Now, given that orbital mechanics has been proven, please present your beliefs as to what is incorrect. I'm not going to reach so far as to ask for evidence as you won't have the tiniest shred of that.

What words can you put together to avoid answering these questions, that is the bigger question!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Where exactly do you think that the ISS is? Do you believe that the various Space Shuttle launches taking it up actually happened? Where do the rockets go once they disappear through the clouds?

I thought you'd agreed that Branson got into a rocket plane previously. What then happened such that you think he didn't reach the altitude that they said he did? Where did he go instead?

You never proved anything. Seems to me you are making things up as you go along.

Why should I provide evidence that there is no experimental data for gravitation and orbital mechanics? That's not how it works I'm afraid and a completely backwards way of thinking! 😆

Why don't you provide me with the experimentation and scientific data that you claim exists that supports gravitation and orbital mechanics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Not are you only ignoring everyone's questions put to you, but you are literally ignoring posters asking why you are ignoring all those questions.

1. Is the ISS real? yes or no, if no, what is it?
    2. Do you think the Earth is a globe yes or no?
    3. Do you believe there are satellites yes or no? if yes, how did they get up there? if no, then how does GPS work? how does satellite TV work?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

"The red arrow pointing to where they claim "zero-gravity" starts. Despite the fact that "zero-gravity" is an impossibility at this altitude."

You're correct is saying that 'zero-gravity' is impossible at that altitude (in fact at any altitude!). What they really mean is that people within the vehicle will have a perception of zero gravity.

What happens at the red arrow point in the flight is as follows:

• The craft is going at over mach 3 (> 2300 mph) when the rocket engine shuts down
    • At that height gravity is only marginally weaker than at the earth's surface, so the craft continues upwards but decelerates due to gravity (@9.8m/s/s) - it's like when you throw a stone up in the air, it keeps going until it reaches a peak, and then starts to drop again.
    • Both the craft and the people within it decelerate at the same rate (both before and after the peak), so there is a perception of weightlessness and people can float around. However gravity is still acting equally on both, and decelerating both.
    • When the craft reaches it's peak it has lost all it's vertical speed due to gravity, and it starts go drop, and then accelerates on the way down (again @9.8m/s/s).This weightless perception (this perception of zero gravity) will persist from the moment the rocket shuts down to the moment the parachute deploys.
    • When the parachute deploys it reduces the acceleration downwards of the craft, and the people inside will begin to experience weight, gaining maximum weight when the craft reaches a constant, or terminal, velocity (zero acceleration) downwards.
    • At no point was there zero gravity, only a perception of weightlessness due to travelling at the same speed as the craft, and subject to the same deceleration / acceleration as the craft itself.

If you don't agree with this description can you explain what bit(s) you don't agree with?

I don't disagree with anything you said. It's no different to a parabolic flight. Branson and Bezos are playing on the ignorance of 99% of the population by producing clips of them floating around like clowns as evidence that they've been to space when the reality is that this footage could be shot at any altitude.

I even linked an article a page or two back of Branson practicing "zero-g" on one of these parabolic flights and he was coming out with statements like "It has certainly whetted our appetite to experience space for real."

I think it's hilarious all the posters here running to their defense given how deceptive they are. (Hmm, sounds very similar to certain other space agencies too doesn't it? 😆)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Where did Branson and Bezos go then? How high did their craft go?

Because you were immediately presented scientific evidence, then, like a chicken, you ran away because you cannot produce one single shred of evidence to support your theories that you are also afraid to even air as you know how ridiculous they are.

Lay out your cards, what do you believe, answer some questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Branson and Bezos are playing on the ignorance of 99% of the population by producing clips of them floating around like clowns as evidence that they've been to space when the reality is that this footage could be shot at any altitude

I partially agree with the first bit of your sentence, in that it's probably a bit of marketing by highlighting the weightless phase. Re evidence of their having been to space, well it depends on how you define space. According to one definition once you surpass 80km you are in space, so Branson qualifies on that score. Another definition requires you to be 100km above the earth's surface, and Bezos qualifies by both definitions.

As regards the footage being able to be shot at any altitude, that's probably not strictly true. You can simulate weightlessness at lower altitudes, but the duration will depend on your vertical speed at the time you stop accelerating upwards, and the distance you can free fall back down, and it seems to be approx 30 secs duration. It's likely to be straightforward to calculate that the duration of Bezos and Branson's weightlessness (3 to 4 mins) would require the trajectory to be within a particular range of max speed, and then a free fall distance before parachute deployment, and this would probably rule out it being possible at much lower altitudes.

Are you saying you don't believe they got to 80km and 100km respectively?

I wonder why he's decided to attempt to address your points, yet still ignores everyone else.

I suspect he'll start ignoring yours too before long though.

Very odd and embarrassing behaviour...

Ok. SO you agree that all of that happened, despite your previous claims. You seem to keep flip flopping depending on what's convenient to your silly beliefs. It's almost like you're making it all up on the spot without thinking very hard on it.

So since you agree with the facts of what happened with the flight, and no one claims anything else happened, what's the issue you have? What part was faked? How was it faked? How does this prove that the rest of the space industry was fake?

Why do you believe they are faking all of it?

Is it because the world is flat?

I honestly don't know what altitude they got to and don't really care. Both of them want to declare themselves as being first civilians or 'space tourists' etc. into space. It's no different to the Arctic/Antarctic/Everest etc. expeditions in which a few egotistical (and ultimately dishonest) 'expeditioners' scrambled to reward themselves title of being first to do X or Y for the sake of popularity (and financial gain moreso).

This is really no different. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Branson and Bezos started a big publicized spat between themselves just to stay in the public eye. Use it to promote their respective brands more.

Also, why 80km or 100km counts as being space must have some bizarre and contrary reason from the fraudster space agencies. I'm sure they have a hilarious rationale for these altitudes...

What should count as space in your uneducated opinion?

You obviously aren't going to be addressing any of the previous points, so we'll consider all of them forfeited by yourself.

You can't explain what was faked with Bransons or Bezos' flights. So you admit and agree that they happened as described and that you were lying when you claimed they were faked.

Would have been better and more honest if you just said this directly, but that's expecting too much honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

You wrote:

"Both of them want to declare themselves as being first civilians or 'space tourists' etc. into space."

I don't think either of them are going to do that as there have been civilian space tourists for some time now and, moreover, into orbit.

Are you claiming that the poles haven't been reached, or Everest climbed now?

How does any of what you are saying have anything to do with your claims that space flights to the moon, Mars, the ISS are faked?

Exactly. Yet another reason why the whole thing is a redundant farce.

One thing I am delighted about is how the vast majority of people really couldn't give a flying fck 😄

Yet you have a belief so farcical you can't support it in any way and can't answer any questions

• Advertisement

But you are suggesting that the entire space program is faked.

How many people do you think believe that?

You also appear to be a flat earther going by your arguments, your ignorance and your dishonesty.

How many people to you believe are also flat earthers?

And again how many people do you think you are convincing by running away from every single question and point put to you?

Flat Earthers generally believe that there's no such thing as the South Pole and that Antarctica is really just a giant ice wall that encircles the disc of Earth.

So Marky here claiming that all Antarctic expeditions are also fake is very much in line with flat earth beliefs.

Haven't heard if Flat Earthers have any specific beliefs about Everest, but I'm sure they believe something wacky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He still hasn't told us what happened to those "thousands" of seafarers "killed" because of Newton's theories...

Scrap the cap!

LOL 😄

Bezos now seeking to go to the moon in 2024!

Why 2024 and not right this instant? It took the US less than a decade to allegedly go to the moon with the crude equipment and technology they had in the 1960s and that was without the benefit of knowing if it was even possible. Why will it take them 3 years to do something that was done repeatedly with 100% success over 50 years ago? The questions that keep me up at night!

Also, why does he need NASA to get him there? Surely he could do this himself without the help? Not sure how much help NASA would be anyway - they lost all the technology to go to the moon years ago along with endless amounts of high definition footage. Why would Bezos trust such a bunch of clumsy little rattlesnakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes, thousands upon thousands of sailors lost at sea (along with millions worth of ships and cargo) lost due to ships being 20+km out of reckoning and ending up on the rocks, (sometimes even in broad daylight) mostly in the southern hemisphere due to the fact that they were so inebriated by the infallible Newton and his incorrect assumptions that the earth is an almost perfect sphere with slight compression at the poles.

This being completely contrary to the pendulum experiments of Von Gumpach who contested this and many of the phony astronomers of the mid 19th century with stone hard data and concluded that the earth is slightly elongated at the poles with a widening below the equator, or an oblate spheroid or 'pear shaped' as Neil DeAss Tyson calls it. All easily verifiable by NASA and their magical spaceships and telescopes but, alas, they downright refuse to.

• Advertisement

Do you have an example image of this shape? (as you imagine it looks of course)

I'd also be (genuinely) interested in sources for the seafarers who went off course due to Newton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You'd think they could rely on their eye sight to avoid rocks and not need Newton.

So you ate again going on mad rants with no evidence or reasoning with no intention of defending any of your claims or answering any questions. All while you continue to ignore all previous questions that you cannot answer.

Pure cowardice and dishonesty.

And to top it all off you keep intentionally misspelling Neil Degrasse Tyson's name. I'm not sure why you're doing that as it only serves to make you look extremely childish as well as cowardly and dishonest.

And again you are asking questions that we have answered for you previously on this thread. You have ignored them because you can't counter them.

There are no sources for shipwrecks that explicitly state that it was "due to Newton", it was due to their poor navigation assumptions based on Newton's error-filled theories (and his blindly-following astronomers). It is well known that there were many shipwrecks in the 1700s and 1800s due to poor navigation most often when they get blown of course and have to rely on sextants/constellations for navigation.

• Advertisement

Submerged rocks and sandbanks due to being too near to coastlines. You don't see them until you hit them

So no you have no examples or sources for your weird claims.

You should have just said that.

And your earth shape image? Can be approximate if you want.

There is no image, that's the point! My first argument in this thread a few pages back was about the complete lack of photographs of the entire earth. I claimed there is only one official, others claimed there were millions but could only link 5 or 6 clearly faked composites.

NASA could settle any and every debate that has plagued researchers for millennia (pre the fake space race of the 1950s and 60s) but they choose not to! Because why? It's not that important? They don't feel like it?

But that's not true. Now on top of your constant dodging you are outright lying.

You were provided with many examples of what you asked for. Repeatedly.

Why are you lying?

Who do you think is going to buy this latest lie of yours?

But since you are going to dodge these questions because they are to difficult for you, perhaps you'd like to just have a rant about your beliefs.

Please explain what you believe is the true shape of the earth?

I'd just like to knon where they think the rockets go after launch. Thousands of people see them go up into the sky, but they don't then go into orbit according to Markus Antonius. What happens next?

Where do they go in between the launch and those people who were seen getting on board the top of the rocket then appearing on live streams from the ISS or whatever destination that they think is being faked using a film studo in the back of a plane carrying out parabolic flights... But nobody has ever noticed these planes doing flights for hours on end to allow for the live streaming footage.

Newton said it was an oblate spheroid. Von Grumpach said it wasn't. Von Grumpach was wrong. The earth is an oblate spheroid.

Isaac Newton first proposed that Earth was not perfectly round. Instead, he suggested it was an oblate spheroid—a sphere that is squashed at its poles and swollen at the equator. He was correct and, because of this bulge, the distance from Earth's center to sea level is roughly 21 kilometers (13 miles) greater at the equator than at the poles

I now want to know how far off that would mess with your navigation calculations which you are doing based on looking at stars if you were working things out based on a perfect sphere or not?

Presumably not by very much, and would guess that the error would cancel itself out when at equivalent distances from the equator. So if you come up with your sphere calculations from somewhere in Europe then your going to be just fine sailing across to the Americas, and fine again when sailing around the bottom of Africa, South America and Australia, just have to be a bit careful around the equator...but how far exactly did it throw those ships off course, and there must also be a load of shipwrecks around the equator which can be shown as evidence for how badly wrong Newton apparently got things.

Over to you Markus.

The more interesting point is that markus doesnt even under what von gumpach claimed. He thinks von gumpech claimed that the earth was an oblate spheroid. He didn't. Von gumpach claimed that the earth was elongated at the poles. this is clearly wrong.

the difference is 21 KM. given the circumference of the earth is 40,075KM that is a difference of 0.05%. That is much less than the accuracy of navigation available at the time he lived. If ships ships were crashing into rocks it wasn't because of any miscalculation of the shape of the earth.

This is another lie

You claimed there weren't images, there are.

You then claimed those images are fake, they aren't.

Again, over to you. Keep dodging questions and lying or engage in normal discussion? I don't have much hope for the latter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement