Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Ahem:

Told you. Well done on sprinting into the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m not sure that’s a good idea. I doubt they could get anyone with the necessary “experience” to take the job.

I know there’s a few “techie” types on here who think they’d be well able but this isn’t some ‘Call of Duty’ or ‘Warcraft’ LAN, it’s a business.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Change the default options in Profile -> Notifications

There are a load of them preset. I unticked the vast majority of them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Which was my first sentence.

It need not be a permanent job, a short term contract would do it, but the Chief Exec needs to go

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Deleted a few off topic posts. If folks want to squabble about the merits of other websites go do it somewhere else.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

At least all the mod stuff was fixed anyway. Priorities.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not. We all have very limited powers. The only thing I can do that is on a par with the old site is to siteban people.....

Probably wouldn’t be too bad a way to leave ye for a while and start afresh seeing as you’d all lost the run of yourselves long before the change. Fresh start and a happier site overall would be great.

Roll back so that the Prison can have spectators again. The spectators cannot Thank the mods there either.

Remember Covid 19 don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why is the soccer forum different from the rest? It's as dead as everywhere else but looks even worse. Why all the avatars?

More than a week later, even the 'like' count display issue hasn't been resolved. Such simple things.

The footer links are still dead ends and apparently hosting is still by Digiweb Hosting.

What an absolute dogs dinner ye've managed to make of this once great resource.

How are the users who haven't jacked it in here already supposed to have any confidence in boards staff and their providers over in Canada when this basic stuff hasn't been dealt with yet?

I hope ye plan a career change whenever boards dies in the hole you dug for it. Who in their right minds could overlook the incompetence on display?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

This is very harsh and unnecessarily personal. They'll get the site back to full functionality - just be patient and give them the time they need.

Nonsense. It's not personal criticism at all. As professionals, as paid staff working with their new vendor and led by their CEO, they screwed up. As a user/contributor for many years now, I'm really disappointed with how what was once an online community has been taken for granted, with little to show that the user-base were anywhere near the top of their list of priorities. Why have we not seen a fallback position adopted here? Forget about the clear lack of solution validation and UAT we're all able to see in effect; Why was this not rolled back 48 hours after it was clearly not working? Technically, there's no good reason why not.

This isn't new technology, at least not the discussion part of online forum functionality, so there's really no argument to be made that doesn't come down to this whole exercise being something driven by interests other than those of the community and user-base. There's stubbornness and ego at play here. Someone's been sweating with a shovel in their hands, digging down instead of out. It's a poxy situation for that person to put their team in, that's the harsh reality here. As a CEO, the buck stops with Odhran, for the decision made in that executive capacity and the failure to ensure continuity of service for an online platform.

Whether as a user or a tech professional, I'm saying that's simply inexcusable, so you should probably stop making them when they're fairly levelled in the direction of the people who have made a bad decision and failed to execute on whatever plan they had in mind here. I think it's fairly apparent this hasn't worked out well and the fact we're still looking at very basic issues which should never have been present when the migration was given a green light just paints it in a harsh light for anyone who looks at this for what it is. It's a total balls-up.

I've no doubt that the staff are under a lot of pressure. They're looking at the very thing that created a reason for their employment go off the rails. Spin doesn't fix the problems for us or for them. This isn't the 1990's. We've all been using online platforms for decades at this stage and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. This is absolutely looking like an ugly migration at this point in time. I can't for a minute believe they're so entrenched in their positions that they can't see how the user-base is up in arms about this and if they actually put themselves in the community users shoes, they have to recognise that to be an understandable viewpoint and sentiment to be expressed.

@Boards.ie: Odhran , it's time you actually spoke up here, acknowledged that this has happened while you were at the helm and that you're sorry for what's happened here. Fix it if you can, but you need to hold your hands up and take this criticism onboard, not hide behind your team. All that experience you have as a strategist, board member and executive over many years must have equipped you with the ability to communicate with customers (or users, here) when a business you run fails its customers in a substantial way. You've failed us here. Almost 3 weeks in without a word of apology isn't reflecting well on you as the CEO. 3rd party apologies without responsibility and accountability is worthless.

It's so easy as well to fix things like that. I'm guessing they'll get around to it to it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They call custom javascript "JS hacks" so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

New site is rubbish.

I found out yesterday how to follow forums on mobile. Great. Follow 2 particular forums and now when I open them all the threads are mixed up between each other.

Complete balls of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

It feels like a site where they closed the old version down then sat down to have a meeting about how the new one should work, knowing they had to be back up and running in a couple of days.

I know its free to all users, but as they say if you're not the customer, you're the product. One of the worst handling sites I've ever used whilst the last was excellent. Not a clue why anyone would bother change it bar maybe some cosmetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As a site user of 20 odd years and someone who checked in multiple times per day, I just want to say I'm disheartened with the current incarnation of the site. What was once so elegant and seamless to navigate, is now slow, clunky and awkward to use. Boards simplicity was its biggest advantage and allowed for free flowing discussions and fostered a unique culture. In its old form it was a delight to visit, read the various threads and interact with 'friends' you had built up over the years.

Some may well like the new look, some may be patient and give it time but it feels like a death knell. I'd never consider myself a troglodyte. I'm all for progress, innovation and moving forward. Things need to evolve but as it is, this feels like a devolution and while I'll hang in there for a bit longer to see if things improve, I worry that the place I visited every day will be receiving one less visitor in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The definition of an upgrade according to the Oxford dictionary is raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

they have so far missed the mark its beyond mental how it even managed to get this far and now ignore users feedback. No users = no forum. It’s fairly simple. The feedback forum must be the most active since the upgrade and that’s saying something.

They haven’t even got an updated privacy policy or cookie policy both of which are required under gdpr. I’d have some concerns about any data processing agreements they have signed given the incompetence that has been shown so far.

it’s sad that a few users have provided code to make a better user experience and it’s been completely ignored. If it was my site I’d be extremely embarrassed about that and the lengths people are going to just to be able to use the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Vanilla seems to have ripped the good things of Boards to shreds, and made it hard to navigate what's left. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

What is this "small" you're referring to?

You mean the largest Internet forum in Ireland? The site with "more than 360,000 members, 3,200,000 threads and 64 million posts"?  The site which "expanded into a number of other countries"?

...That "small" message board? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

All i want is a dark mode option again :( to dame bright!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thread here (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200272/diy-desktop-site-customisation-use-at-own-risk#latest ) on using an add on with Chrome to enable dark mode (among other adjustments to how the site looks) or you could use a full on extension for complete dark mode with no other changes to how it looks.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The one that actually made it onto XKCD's map of the internet in 2010.

I think to be honest, the changes being made are decent, and I can understand the need to switch from an old platform - but really the two key items for me (and probably most users) are notifications by thread, not by post (otherwise I get to 99+ and I delete them all) and auto-subscribe to threads you post in (otherwise you lose them)

I don't think they've been addressed at all as yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why the move away from vBulletin to Vanilla though - I don't remember seeing an explanation for this. vBulletin is still being developed and supported right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Not being able to view my own posts is literally a 101 feature that EVERY discussion board/forum has, yet its gone on boards.ie. Half the threads i followed, I cant find, as I cant see my posts. What the hell like, why is that feature gone. Ye have made an absolute meal of this update. Did any research go into this at all or even do a test run and get some market feedback. Who ever is behind the wheel at boards.ie needs to take a serious look at their ability to deliver. Boards has been on the downward for years and now and this might be the final nail in the coffin. Such a shame to see it but its worse as this is such an own goal. Boards is, and has been, a wonderful community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Having to have threads explaining how to use the new side it total faining of design, alway remember "if you are explaining you are losing"

It's been well over a week now and it's still sh1t, totally sh1t, the new look and feel gets in the way. For example I can't quote one sentence from another post, only the whole thing. And that is just one thing. Come on boards explain your plan to fix this or role it back and say sorry.

Advertisement