Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This simple solution is to mandate that cars that undergo repairs must re-start from the pitlane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

Also worth noting that when Hamilton repaired during the red flag he had not been adjudged as the guilty party for the incident.

At that point for stewards Max may have been decided on as the cause of the accident so then Hamilton gets penalised with no repair for an accident he arguably didn't cause.

I suppose it makes a case for stewards making decisions quicker but when I saw the collision originally I said to myself I would not want to be a steward because I couldn't call if it was a racing incident or if a driver was to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was referencing the general rule that if a driver inadvertently benefits from causing a red flag, like Leclerc did at Monaco this year, that rule has glaring gap in it for how a car/driver can benefit.

As some have said, it should be that you restart from the pitlane etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mick Schumacher behind the wheel of the Jordan 191:

Simple enough answer for the red flag thing; anyone who makes a change (including tyres) goes to the back of the grid. That way if everyone needs wet tyres they can get them and the field will end up the same. If there's a safety issue it's on the team to make the decision to effect repairs.

• Advertisement

Fu-ckin glorious sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

It's looking increasingly likely there will be no race in Japan this year, I'd imagine they are waiting until the olympics finish until they make a decision. Joe Saward reported some rumours of them planning 2 races in Texas and 2 in Mexico over the space of 5 weeks to fill the slot left by Japan and Singapore. I fully expect at least one more round at Bahrain where Australia was and the inevitable cancellation of the race in Brazil. It's bizarre to think that there is only one race on the calendar for November and we are still going until mid December.

I am tempted to fly down to Austin for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Marko claims RB have hired a lawyer to look into the accident at silverstone.

I don't know any of the reputable racing news sites but it's mentioned here

I put it here instead of the race thread because if is true it could have an impact outside of that incident.

Mind games if anything I would say. This would put more eyes on any driver if there was a potential flare up in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Red Bull opening a massive can of worms there. What’s the point of this other than putting all the attention on them?

If (when) Checo inevitably punts someone off this is the type of thing that bites them in the arse.

Its done. Beat him on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d say it’s quite a normal behind the scenes process that a lot of teams do as the bill for damage can be quite high and it’s just a case of crossing t’s and dotting i’s. It’s just a news site looking for clicks and making a story of it because of the spotlight the crash received!

Every F1 team has a team of lawyers on retainer no doubt!

I think this is more of am aim at Merc for RB. If RB and Max can keep their advantage and build up a points lead again, and Hamilton does another first lap dive that results in a DNF or accident, the press would then be to apply a sterner punishment.

That is what i am reading from this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He watches Dave during the day.

Have you been in an accident that wasn't your fault. You are due compensation, We offer a no win no fee so call now.

Poor Marko being sucked in at his old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If its true its just the usual story of stirring up additional trouble in the hope that it will influence the FIA to comedown harder on Hamilton if the opportunity arrives again.

I really doubt any lawyer could have any affect on the result of the race or even paying for damages to Max's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

Yep his average qualy gap to his teammate is 0.482s, which is the largest gap on the grid, just ahead of Gasly and Verstappen, while "Mr Saturday" George Russell for example has an average gap of 0.377s - the difference is that the Williams is fast enough for that to be worth a bunch of positions but the Haas is only ever good enough for 19th. Mazepin is hardly a benchmark of a teammate of course, but he's hardly worse than Latifi.

It will be interesting to see how Mick does in a somewhat competitive car in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

Beat him on track? They've been beating him on track week in and week out, right up to the point where he punted them into the wall and put Max in the hospital. It's amazing the kind of twisted logic some people use to try and make the victim out to be the one who did wrong.

Did someone make Hamilton out to be the victim? Where did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Exactly well said. The only way Hamilton could beat Max was to put Max into the wall. Disgraceful driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Alfa Romeo and Bottas have opened talks about a drive next season, according to numerous reputable F1 sources.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

For Kimi or Gio though? You'd imagine it's Finn for Finn but from next season Alfa are no longer required to take on a Ferrari driver.

Will it also cease to be Alfa? Is the driver a part of the Alfa branding deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

Both are likely to be gone next year, with Bottas replacing Kimi and Callum Ilot replacing Giovinazzi

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Who is making Hamilton out to be a victim? I just said it's a stupid move from Red Bull, especially if something happens involving their drivers. I said nothing about Hamilton.

Utterly bizarre ramblings again from your good self about something nobody has said.

Another insinuation that Hamilton did this on purpose as well. Piss off with that sh*te. Absolute scumbag behaviour from you implying that this was done intentionally.

Since you like to reply to posts and then run away, I'll ask you to prove that Hamilton did this on purpose.

I'll also ask you to prove that Hamilton was fed a line to ask if Max was ok since you like throwing out baseless accusations because you have such rage-induced hatred for a sportsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

I think Gio is making a stake to hang around, so it is likely to be Kimi that gets the boot.

Kimi is marginally quicker than an aging Kimi who looks like he's totally checked out.

I would keep Gio onlynbecause I think kimi will be even worse next season, not because I think Gio I'd anything more than a poor driver, well inside the bottom few drivers on the grid. I don't think anyone has ever used expressed the sentiment, "great drive from Gio today, really looked like he is getting the best out of a poor car". Alfa has 2 very poor drivers in a poor car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭klose

How long has latifi left at Williams? I know his dad has pumped money into the team but if they've ambitions they'll punt him out. Be nice to get a couple seats opened for next season.

Think bottas would take a drive at alfa, with new regs they might be a bit more competitive next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I'm not sure about these new regulations improving anything with regards the slower teams. Surely if the power, aero, chassis packages are well off the pace now then having a bigger, heavier car will compound those problems, if anything being able to get closer makes the top teams less susceptible to them as back markers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement