Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Night owl gal

anyone know of a website, where they show prime shows/movies that are about to expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

anyone know of a website, where they show prime shows/movies that are about to expire?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?rh=n%3A9791716031&brr=1&rd=1

Yes it's the UK site but there is much more correlation nowadays generally if a title is listed here that's on Prime here you better get cracking. It gives you what shall be leaving within the upcoming month.

Expiry notices will go up on such titles 2 weeks in advance be it by sussing your watchlist (recommend) or hovering title on primevideo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

tomorrow war has got some terrible reviews
    i watched it last night, the dialogue is terrible , some of the acting is terrible but i enjoyed it ., mindless popcorn action/sci fi fun

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

peteeeed wrote: »
    i watched it last night, the dialogue is terrible , some of the acting is terrible but i enjoyed it ., mindless popcorn action/sci fi fun

I enjoyed it also. It's not terrible at all. 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They removed broad city a day before I could finish the last episodes…… this is something I will never forgive and likely never fully recover from.

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    I enjoyed it also. It's not terrible at all. 6/10.

6/10 is very close to a terrible review.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Started watching Bosch yday.
    Really liking it so far. Looking forward to more tonight.
    Dark, gritty crime detective drama.

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

10 Items or Less
    21 & Over
    A Cinderella Story
    The Accountant
    The Age of Stupid
    Animalympics
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    Blood Diamond
    Charade (C.Grant/Hepburn)
    Cinema Paradiso (Original Title: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso)
    Contagion
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Death in Love
    Deepwater Horizon (M.Wahlberg/K.Russell)
    Dressed to Kill
    Escape Room
    The Feels
    Final Destination 3
    The Final Destination
    Free Willy
    Girls Just Want to Have Fun
    The Glass House
    The Gospel According to Matthew (Original Title: Il vangelo secondo Matteo)
    The Great Gatby (Di Caprio/C.Mulligan)
    Harpoon
    He Walked by Night
    He's Just Not That Into You
    In the Heart of the Sea
    House on Haunted Hill (V.Price)
    La La Land
    Layer Cake
    Leave No Trace
    Kansas City Confidential
    King of New York (Walken/Caruso)
    Mad at the Moon
    The Man with the Golden Arm (Sinatra/K.Novak)
    Matilda
    Mr. Calzaghe (Documentary)
    The Naked Kiss
    Nina Conti: Her Master's Voice
    North of the Rio Grande
    Pay the Ghost
    Pixels
    The Physician
    Primer
    Royal Wedding (Astaire/J.Powell)
    Scrooged
    Storm Boy
    Sully
    The Switch
    Terminator Genisys
    The Tomorrow War (Pratt/Strahowski)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    The Tracker
    Upstream Color
    War Dogs
    The Way Back
    The Wedding Guest
    Welcome to the Punch (J.McAvoy/M.Strong)
    The Woman

Anonymous Noise (Season 1)
    Eureka Seven (Season 1)
    Erased (Season 1)
    Love Live! Sunshine!! (Season 1-2)
    The Promised Neverland (Season 1)
    Your Lie in April (Season 1)
    The Shield (Season 1-7)
    Station 19 (Season 1-3)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

School of Rock - 12/7
    Saving Private Ryan - 16/7
    Little Miss Sunshine - 18/7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Clarkson's Farm, I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

I like Jeremy anyway but no interest in farming, but I found it very good, with the added characters especially. Really interesting view of how life on a big farm is too.

When I hear farmers complaining about the weather, I have a bit of an insight now as to why.

I watched a couple of episodes of this while it was pissing rain at the weekend. I'll put my hands up and say I think he's a total twunt. It's interesting in places in terms of dealing with stuff I never would have thought about when it comes to farming but so much of it feels so staged that it destroys the rest of the show. And he's an utter penis.

peteeeed wrote: »

Also watched it last night, liked it I like Chris Pratt but not truly convinced he's a lead tbh. Had the writing been better could have been a great film but it's entertaining anyway - 6.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

6/10 is very close to a terrible review.

Terrible for me is 3 or less, 4 is poor, 5 is watchable, 6 is okay, 7 is good, 8 very good, 9 excellent and 10 is well 10!

But I appreciate different websites/peoples gauges are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think a 6/10 is watchable, but I'd never willingly want to watch it again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Shield is coming I see, think I watched the first three seasons years ago on netflix, might give the rest of it a go now.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Shield is coming I see, think I watched the first three seasons years ago on netflix, might give the rest of it a go now.

It's been on prime for a while. It's great, launched Walton Goggins.

protonmike wrote: »
    It's been on prime for a while. It's great, launched Walton Goggins.

There since around February I think, expected it to leave like the rest of the FX shows but been renewed so may give a bash myself now.

On another note The X-Files looks likely to be leaving soon, expected with the Disney factor I suppose.

There since around February I think, expected it to leave like the rest of the FX shows but been renewed so may give a bash myself now.

On another note The X-Files looks likely to be leaving soon, expected with the Disney factor I suppose.

A criminal act… I like to dip in for an episode or two… good HD as well…..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nalz wrote: »
    Terrible for me is 3 or less, 4 is poor, 5 is watchable, 6 is okay, 7 is good, 8 very good, 9 excellent and 10 is well 10!

But I appreciate different websites/peoples gauges are different.

Ya 6 is nowhere near terrible, I'd rate similar and gave tomorrow war 6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Night owl gal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?rh=n%3A9791716031&brr=1&rd=1

Yes it's the UK site but there is much more correlation nowadays generally if a title is listed here that's on Prime here you better get cracking. It gives you what shall be leaving within the upcoming month.

Expiry notices will go up on such titles 2 weeks in advance be it by sussing your watchlist (recommend) or hovering title on primevideo.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Noticed the Gamera films added to Prime recently, and decided to give the 1990s trilogy a gander. I'm not a kaiju expert, but my understanding is the series was conceived in the 1960s as a rival Japanese studio's cheapo rival to the popular Godzilla franchise. By most accounts, the original films aren't anything to write home about - indeed, they've been actively mocked by Mystery Science Theatre. Even the character - a giant turtle with massive fangs, fire breath and a rocket powered shell - is fairly naff.

And yet the 1990s movies are extremely well regarded, and it's not hard to see why. These are great modern monster / disaster movies that surprisingly get better with each passing film. The first is a rock solid bit of kaiju storytelling, but a focus on characters pays serious dividends by the time the excellent third film rolls around. The modern Godzilla / 'Monsterverse' films from the US have been rightly criticised for their terrible human-level storytelling - this is how you do it better. Even the nonsense stuff about the psychic connections between humans and the monsters works well. Gamera's relationship with humanity complicated as the series progresses, to quite striking and interesting effect.

This is still a film series based around a guy in a turtle suit, but it also feels like a pleasant stop-gap between the era of practical and CG effects. There's some superb model work throughout, and director Shusuke Kaneko really delivers on the big showstopping monster mash climaxes. By the time very Evangelion like mecha-monsters get involved, there's plenty of pleasantly beautiful compositions. Temper your expectations - this isn't Hollywood level, and some effects are very much 'guys in suit' territory. But if you like your monster movies, these films represent a much, much better take on the genre than anything Hollywood studios have made with exponentially higher budgets. Not bad for a series featuring a c-tier monster.

For anyone interested and (understandably) confused by the plethora of Gamera titles on Prime at the mo, you want to start with Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995) and then work your way through the handily titled Gamera 2 and Gamera 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Dave Made A Maze

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4457344/

Watched it the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it for it's uniqueness and creative visuals. It's not a million miles from one of those "high concept" fan-favourite episodes of Community to be honest, so if you're familiar with and like those, you'll really enjoy this one I think.

• Advertisement

Alabama Moon

An American Affair

American Violet

Bad Moms

Brooklyn's Finest (Gere/Cheadle/E.Hawke/Snipes)

Clueless

Dangerous Moves (Original Title: La Diagonal Du Fu)

Freaky Deaky

His Girl Friday

Horizon Line (A.Williams/K.David)(2020)(Amazon Original)

The Matrix

The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Revolutions

Meet John Doe

New York, I Love You

Prince Avalanche

Rat Race

Submission (Tucci)

Sugar Mountain

Valerian and the City of a Thosand Planets

Where Is Kyra?

Yes Man

L.A.'s Finest (Season 2)

Crazy, Stupid, Love - 29/7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you want a good laugh watch Dating Amber. I'm finding it very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Guns Akimbo has been added. Harry Potter has two guns bolted to him and is forced to take part in a live-streamed death match. Great movie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

Watching Start up on Netflix. It’s okish so far.

Watched Guns Akimbo the other night too enjoyed it also. I'll say it again Hugos' niece be snappin up the parts Margo Robbie not available for (like she actually did for Ready or Not).

Aankhen

Amélie (Original Title: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain)

Angel and the Badman 

Annabelle Comes Home

Balibo

Battle in Seattle

Bernie (J.Black/McConaughey/MaClaine)

Bereavement

Carmilla

City of Life and Death (Original title: Nanjing! Nanjing!)

Dark Matter

David Brent: Life on the Road (Gervais)

The Decoy Bride

Guns Akimbo (Radcliffe/S.Weaving)(Amazon Exclusive)(2019)

The Hitch-Hiker

Jolt (Beckinsale/Tucci)(Amazon Original)(2021) - Out tommorrow - 23/7

The Messenger (B.Foster/Harrelson)

Nobel Son

Thick as Thieves

White Zombie (Legosi)

Dead Snow - 29/7

Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead - 29/7

Psycho - 29/7

Click - 31/7

Ex_Machina - 31/7

Ghostbusters - 31/7

Ghostbusters II - 31/7

Ghostbusters (2016) - 31/7

The Social Network - 31/7

War of the Worlds - 31/7

Allied - 1/8

Disconnect - 1/8

The Mule - 1/8

The Hateful Eight - 3/8

Carol - 4/8

The X-Files (Season 1-11) - 31/7

The definition of a hidden gem. Monument Ave. Denis Leary and Colm Meany star in Boston crime drama…. Really like this movie… surprised to see it on Amazon because for a while it basically impossible to get anywhere…. Kinda a low budget but great performances….

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched Jolt tonight, new action film with Kate Beckinsale as a woman with violent tendencies, she wears a shock vest to keep her urges under control, and she sets out to find out who killed a man she's just started dating and kill them, violently.

It wasn't great, to be honest. The script is really poor, but Beckinsale seems to be having a lot of fun with it and there's a lot of violence. It's a very easy watch though, and only about 90 minutes.

There's a scene at the end that was presumably meant to set up a sequel, but it really made it feel more like a pilot for a TV show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kate Beckinsale feels like an actor whose career should be better than it is; wonder if all those Underworld sequels with her then husband Len Wiseman held her back, made her seem like a schlock merchant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, she's quite charming and can definitely do comedy, Love & Friendship is a great example of that. This film has an awful script, there's just no way around that, and there's so many forced jokes that don't land, but even with that you can kind of see what she'd be able to do with a some decent writing.

I've been thinking about this film since last night and I'd actually really like to see it as a TV show. I haven't read any of the background on it but it really did feel more like a pilot than something written to be a film, even one setting up a sequel.

Advertisement