Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Its so slow the favicon even takes time to load! (haven't seen a site do that in a few years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm also not seeing any slowness, desktop or mobile.

It's an odd one.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The timestamp for each thread is is an hour behind too although my timestamp is showing in real time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

What's interesting is I switch to a VPN in Canada given that Vanilla software is at that location. Is Boards.ie hosted now in Canada or around that region as the VPN seems to have improved load times by selecting that region?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

On your phone you can change the view to the desktop version and it's much easier to navigate than the mobile site, however, I don't think you can set the desktop version as your default view, so need to change it everytime you click onto boards.ie site. While the desktop site is better, it still takes much more effort to find stuff than on the old site. Also seems to be less interesting things to view on the site since the changeover

• Advertisement

Cheerio (with burning eyes)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same, my newish broadband provider is pretty quick so maybe thats helping me.... but no trouble at all with speed.

timestamp is accurate too here.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

My time stamp is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Yeah, they didn't survey user needs before scoping the work, everyone likes dark mode and it is no where to be found or indeed if it is coming back at all.

The am/pm thing is annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Every post should have a full timestamp (day/date and time in 24h format).

Same needed on /discussions and ../bookmarked lists

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is it really necessary to have to scroll so far to the page end to get to the next page tab (on phone)?

It seems an excessively long scroll.

I can't find how to activate dark mode on this site, only on my phone in general and my eyes are bleeding from the whiteness.

It's like another poster said above, you don't just whip out your phone now and casually browse the site for a few minutes, it's too taxing.

I'll go on record to say I absolutely hate the change.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

you were not here long enough to remember the good old boards format.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm not automatically subscribed to threads that I post in so that's a deal breaker for me. Thats the most basic feature a forum needs.

Also, WHERE HAVE MY STARZ GONE?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Probably my last boards post.....good many may say! :D

This new layout is too awful. Every thread appearing as "unread", no "view first unread" button.

I love a bit of change and a fresh outfit but above all, don't break what is working with change.

Sad, it used to be so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This isnt available for me at all . I have no way to see threads i have commented on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Like button is just the default wording on the Vanilla platform. They seem to have a number of different reactions (positive and negative) available, but boards chose to just use the Like one as it was the closest to the old Thanks we know and love. It's nothing to do with Facebook (even though it uses the same wording and icon), so clicking on it just registers a reaction to the post in the exact same way the old Thanks button did. I think I saw Niamh mention that changing the wording to Thanks was one of the things on their list.

I do think a lot of people do assume that it's somehow linked to FB though. There's far, far less thanks/likes being given out, even on threads that have a (relatively) large amount of activity.

I've used the Sylebot plugin for Chrome (on my PC) to write custom CSS to get rid of most of the whitespace at the sides, increase the font size a little, spread the post content out to fill the width of the screen and a few other bits and pieces.

I've attached it here if anyone is interested. I threw it together very quickly, so it may introduce some unforeseen issues. I did try to do things like format stickies differently at the top of forums, and a few other thigs, but there wasn't an immediately easy way to do them, so I left it. The code I'm using also hides the ads, but I don't feel right about sharing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

install Stylebot in Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylebot/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha?hl=en)

Visit Boards.ie, and then open the plugin and click "Open Stylebot"

Make sure you've got the "Code" tab selected, and paste in the CSS from my attachment (or write your own).

It auto saves, so just hit the X to close the code window. The CSS will only apply to boards.ie, not any other sites.

EDIT: I will say that the much improved image management features of Vanilla made this post much easier to make than it would have been on vBulletin.

These screenshots are full-screen on a 2k 27" monitor.

Original:

With my Stylebot script:

The huge amount of white space in the second post in the image above is actually a signature that user has added. The whitespace in the third post seems to be cause by the user hitting the return key a few times after typing their post, so effectively this whitespace is content and not the fault of Boards. Most posts are like the first one, without excessive white space between the content and the reaction buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

C'MON those in authority - listen to the people revert to the old version for the love of god

"lord bless us & save us"

😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Get rid of the 'Like' button with the thumbs up thing. I don't think the Facebook aesthetic is a direction to be moving in. There was nothing wrong with the old thanks system and the way the names of the posters would appear in the thanks list below your post.

They can't revert, that's just not going to happen. This isn't just a new design they've put on Boards, they've changed the entire software they're running on. They moved for a reason: because the old platform was held together with customisations and hacks that were becoming untenable. We've all suffered through the glitches and performance issues and outages over the past couple of years. They weren't going to go away without a change like this.

The problems we're facing now are with the interface. They can be fixed.

The problems they were facing was with the infrastructure. That can't be fixed anywhere near as easily.

So in that situation the right thing to do is to move to a more stable and sustainable infrastructure. Where they went wrong was in not preparing properly. Downtime was far too long, and when it came back up, things obviously weren't complete. But they're one full-time developer and a volunteer helper.

I manage teams that implement and maintain ecommerce sites. On our bigger clients, I've teams consisting of 4 or 5 developers, 2 or 3 QA, a Solution Architect, two project managers and a Business Analyst - and that's just for dealing with the front end. For a site the size of Boards, they're vastly under-resourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

They need to get rid of whiteness + long scroll on mobile.

I'll stay because I love the weather forums but couldn't be bothered looking up anything else anymore, so I suppose I'll save myself a lot of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If the new site was a car it would be launch of the VW Mk3 GTI 8v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

All I want is notifications back for posts on followed threads. is that too much to ask

They are back (must be since yesterday).

Go into Edit Profile - Notification Settings, and configure the notifications you want.

there’s actually better, more granular notification settings than there was on vBulletin.

I just set mine up a few minutes ago, and was notified about your post.

Again, where Boards went wrong here was not having this available from the start, giving the impression that the new system lacked features the old one had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I can't navigate the new setup at all - can't find any topics or categories? I'm using touch, maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Advertisement