Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What MPG are you getting from your vehicle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A lot of people in this thread seem to be beating their vehicles official fuel economy figures, by some margin. Which is interesting.

On a long run I'm normally at the speed limit which gives worse fuel economy than sitting at 80-100kph.

But on a recent trip mixed motorway and and lots of small country roads I was getting about 8L/100km in a 1.6 TDI MPV with a roof box and five people and luggage which matches my official figures. In our previous petrol version of the same MPV it's was always around 11L/100km. We rarely do long trips and never with only one person in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Economics101

I do a regular 160km trip in the Waterford direction (mostly M9) and consumption can be a s low as 3.7L per 100km. On other occasions it can be 4.2. A lot seems to depend on prevailing wind. I drive a VW Golf Diesel 2 litre, it's 11 years old and pervormance is as new. Mind you it's low mileage for a car of its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Eco mode does sweet **** all. Tested it over a number of tanks, you might get +15km range on a 1000km tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

This happens all the time. Most of the numbers you see from people are BS and they give more positive numbers. No idea why.

Personally mine is running at 9-10ltr/100km

• Advertisement

Is that even possible in a 2.0ltr Golf? I had one years ago and never got in a arse roar of those figures. Also driving on motorway all the time. It was a 2009 2.0ltr 140Bhp(I think from memory).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Economics101

Yes, on average it would be very close to 4.0 or if cruising at 120kph maybe 4.2. I've also cross-checked by measuring how much it takes to refill against distance covered and it checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

mines not BS, you can come over and look at my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Excuse the dust, that’s 3.96 L/100km taking it handy on a 2.0 TDI Octavia estate. It’s done a little better than that, but you’re really relying on slow moving traffic.

as said a few months ago, that goes out the window once you get up to 120-130

my old Civic 1.8 petrol would do some great figures for a petrol too, but again you’d have to be driving like a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭passatman86

I get roughly the same

6.8L/100km

Just serviced and good tyres

These avensis aren't great at 42 mpg

I do mostly city driving like a lot of taxis would - surprised so many taxi drivers use them at that mpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Reliability was the main attraction to the PSV industry, they're a comfortable car to be in for lengthy periods too. Unfortunately reliability from 2012 onwards has taken a huge dip and they are starting to fall out of favour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭passatman86

Mines a 2010, i find since they went with the1.6 diesel option and also joined with bmw the issues got worse tbh

Mine is between 5.0-5.5l/100 that's measured from fill to fill I don't know what the display says.

Approx 32 MPG and it's one of the most fuel efficient cars I've ever owned.

2.0l petrol Audi MK3 TT Quattro.

Life's too short to average 69 k/pH.

It was a 29Km journey. What is your long term average speed? Probably not much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

You can save or waste litres of fuel by the way you drive. Excessive acceleration and too many unnecessary gear changes are two ways to waste those litres. I did a one day course some years ago on economy driving in a 1.9 diesel van with 6 speed gearbox, 1st to 2nd to 4th to 6th. 1st to 3 rs to 5th to 6th. Starting off downhill 1st to 3rd to 6th. Coming down through the gears, 6th to 4th, 6th to 3rd, even 6th to 2nd. Going through roundabouts in 4th. All this driving safely and within all speed limits in both urban and rural areas taking traffic, road and weather conditions into account. The results were amazing saving many litres of diesel. As I posted earlier I have a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel, it has 6 forward gears and I drive it all the time even on the very bad roads where I live the way I was instructed on that course. The same applies to 5 speed gearbox vehicles. I don't know about automatics as I have never owned or driven one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Long term on my audi a6 190bhp is 7 l/100kms or 40mpg. I can, if I really really try get 50mpg or 5.6l per 100kms but have to drive in such a way that I hate it.

Most of my driving has been motorway, dual carriage driving. I've not checked. If I drove into town it would be a lot lower.

I've driven from Limerick to castlegregory and mostly stayed with traffic and managed 45 mpg, but it was an experiment never to be repeated. :)

I should have added, mine is an automatic and 230 PS

Maybe, but go out on the roads and nobody is driving like that. I would be a lot more conservative than majority of the people on see on the road yet never get close to the numbers quoted on here. I am sure if you check a lot of them the manufacturer even with the old testing system they never got close to the claimed ltr/100km on here. Those tests got done in ideal conditions with no wind/rain etc. Impossible for any standard road user to achieve.

Also majority of people like to drive for fun, sorry but that sounds incredible boring driving, to save what? maybe a two euro per 100km, personally don't think it's worth it. Enjoy your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

46 MPG 132 Lexus IS300h 2.5 litre petrol hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I love driving, enjoy my car and don't find it a bit boring driving that way. I never think about manufacturers claims or try to achieve them when I'm driving, I simply drive the way I was instructed on that course, which incidentally I was doing to a lesser extent with the same van for about six months before that course as it was owned by the company I was working with and they organised the course for their drivers. That was back in 2007.

"...You can save or waste litres of fuel by the way you drive....."

For sure.

2.82 litres per 100km (100.31mpg)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2.8l per 100km really does show how wasteful cars are. 2.8l of diesel is 108MJ of energy.

that's the same amount of energy required to lift a 1.5 ton car nearly 7.5km straight up into the air.

I do enjoy my car and regularly give her the holly tipping 140/160 km/h, it still manages to easily achieve 1100/1200 km to the tank of diesel, it's just light on diesel and well serviced, I use millers diesel additive religiously at every fill which might or might not make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The misses gets about 12.21 litres/100kmh out of her 1.6 VW Touran. Shes getting a electric car now as she’s fed up of garages

she’ll go from €56 per 300km to €3

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

I'm getting 5.7 litres per 100 km (49.5 mpg) in my 2007 1.4 Petrol Skoda Octavia (Normally Aspirated Engine).

Really pleased, as I did not get much more out of the diesels I owned in the past with similar driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thats actually amazing for the size of the car and small engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

Yes, it really shocked me too. In fairness I drive fairly light footed, but I've driven a diesel vectra, astra and 407 the exact same way and not faired too much better in the overall scheme of things.

Also, not much difference between the onboard computer and doing the math after filling up when I checked recently.

Makes me wonder why I stuck with diesel for so long 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

27 mpg. Big diesel and very short commute.

Advertisement