Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 mile 32.2km cycle time gym

Options
  • 18-07-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have turned to cycling to try and increase my fitness and lose a few pounds after Ben Dunne have taken the boxing bags out of their gyms. My question is what is a good time to cycle 20 miles on a bike in the gym? I'm only new to this and don't have much interest at the moment cycling outside. I'm aware it would be a lot more difficult outside with the terrain and weather conditions etc. But just to gauge my progress I would like to have something realistic to aim for in the gym. I have done the 20 miles four times now in the gym and my best time is 55 minutes and 20 seconds. That was flat out on lowest resistance. Is that a good time? Has anyone any tips on how to improve on it. I'm a 26 year old male in decent enough shape but am am aiming to lose a stone.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

All gym bikes will be different. I suggest you stick with the same one and simply see how much you can improve on where you are now.

1 hour sessions at relatively high intensity will soon show some benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Beasty wrote: »
    All gym bikes will be different. I suggest you stick with the same one and simply see how much you can improve on where you are now.

1 hour sessions at relatively high intensity will soon show some benefits.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I use the same bike. Can you tell me time wise if that's OK? Or would you know?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it was on a par with something like the Wattbike (I have one of them at home - they are calibrated and a close reflection on real effort), I would hope to be getting an average of 38-40+km in an hour in an all-out effort. That would be 20 miles in 48-50 mins or so. Your speed is maybe 35 km/h which is absolutely fine for a beginner

You improve it by repeating the effort, making sure you give yourself a day or two to recover

If you are looking to do some real cycling though that's very different. You need to get out on the road and learn to cope with hills and the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Put a bit of resistance on the bike the odd time,get them legs working.

swap between the sit down bit and the sit on bike in Ben dunnes.

i used too whack the sit on bike up too level 25 too get the legs pumping and end up like nigara falls in West Point

Advertisement