Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Waterways Ireland

Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭ Ubbquittious

What do ye make of this crowd?

I've had 0 dealings with them. Was at a slipway today where they were preparing to remove some old heap of sh1t from the water that was half sinking and had no engine. Great to see someone tidying the place up a bit, I thought. Fergal would do a fine job of restoring it if he got his hands on it. Do they go up for auction at some stage? incinerated perhaps?

But then someone told me that if you live in a boat you need to give them permission to come on board at any time so they can have a good gawk around at the inside and I thought that sounded very Orwellian. Is there any truth to this? What kind of a crowd are they at all?

Comments

• They do sell them off at auction once a year https://www.waterwaysireland.org/news-centre/news/332/shannon-harbour-vessels-for-sale the boats would have been stickered a good few times before they are lifted and the owner contacted if it is registered.

• I've never heard of an authorised officer coming on board for a "good gawk around". I have heard of black water tanks being checked, but that's about it.

There are bye laws regulating use on the inland waterways of Ireland, which ones you must follow depend on the waterway. They can be found at this page

The people I deal with within the organisation from top to bottom have always been very helpful and obliging.

I find that the people that have only bad things to say about WI are the people that have someway caused them trouble or ignore the byelaws because the byelaws don't suit those people and their lifestyle. The type that see no problem speeding in no wake zones, think it's fine to dump fecal matter in swimming waters, that try to turn the five day rule into a five year rule.

• 924e292649e9137d8b1bcd9b5ca5ee30.jpg

• had a look through the listings last nights and some niceish looking things that would make a good project if youd the time and money

• neris wrote: »
    had a look through the listings last nights and some niceish looking things that would make a good project if youd the time and money

I like this one :D

214373000_10158315550983861_8168734077497078267_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=j4NRodmeLAsAX-Nm6oU&_nc_oc=AQlL3pyVlgXTUQsVW7ZJt3ZzlbkQ9fG9M-hwWpERdWEAJnCnE__V4qXu_sM8Mvp8D-I&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0ebb8e373673acdad72ac16d7063e242&oe=60E9D787

• Advertisement

• fergal.b wrote: »
    I like this one :D

214373000_10158315550983861_8168734077497078267_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=j4NRodmeLAsAX-Nm6oU&_nc_oc=AQlL3pyVlgXTUQsVW7ZJt3ZzlbkQ9fG9M-hwWpERdWEAJnCnE__V4qXu_sM8Mvp8D-I&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0ebb8e373673acdad72ac16d7063e242&oe=60E9D787

I think it's about the best one in the auction.

The narrowboats all look a bit ropey, I know some of them have been down more times than a submarine. One (which I'll not mention) might be worth a punt, the hull supposedly an original quality build.

But I expect with this auction, the boats will go for stupid money, especially the patrol boat.

• God, that catalogue made for depressing viewing :(

Advertisement