Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

• 06-07-2021 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Dublin (at least the city center) has become literally unlivable, especially for foreign people who don't have their family here. There are street fights on all sides; people taking crack and heroin on every corner;
    you have to do the slalom between excrements to walk; police totally absent and if you try to report a fact to the people in charge they consider you as the problem. Women certainly risk walking alone. Most of all, there is a total absence of values

It feels like living in a nightmare
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

It's unliveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Thanks for letting us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What an over exaggeration

I was surprised how much it’s been let slip to the gutter. Will there be an effort to clean up most of it post lockdowns or is it as good as gone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Its grand, could be better but could be a lot worse.

More Gardai and an effective system of dealing with scumbags wouldn't go amiss but that's a wider issue than just Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Liam32123 wrote: »
    Dublin (at least the city center) has become literally unlivable, especially for foreign people who don't have their family here. There are street fights on all sides; people taking crack and heroin on every corner;
    you have to do the slalom between excrements to walk; police totally absent and if you try to report a fact to the people in charge they consider you as the problem. Women certainly risk walking alone. Most of all, there is a total absence of values

It feels like living in a nightmare

I was in Dublin city centre last night for about 5 hours.
    Henry St, up through Temple Bar, Grafton St and up Camden Street.

What I saw was shocking. People sitting outside pubs and restaurants enjoying themselves.
    Not a sign of a street fight.
    Didn't see anyone taking crack or heroin.
    Searched yards and yards of pavements, but not one bit of excrement could I find.

I'll try again at the weekend, and hopefully will have something more positive to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I just checked the corner of my street and no poo or junkies in sight. Hope to have both sorted shortly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

From your answers I assume you are all locals

Take a walk with your children from Capel Street to Croppies Acre Memorial Park at 7pm and get me updated

Self-criticism is a rare commodity, and I assume the rule here is to proceed with keyboard sarcasm and bullying to address the problem

People have been saying Dublin is unliveable since Damo the Viking turned to his mate Erik and said "I don't think much of the summers."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is that because of all the shouting???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

There are definitely more junkies in the centre of Dublin than in any other city I've been too; at the same time, there seems to be fairly little petty crime like pickpockets and muggings, and women are a lot less likely to be harassed than in other European cities.

So, as with so many things, a bit of a mixed bag.

ok then. Lay off the TESCO lager too bud. Go back to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Thank your lucky stars you didnt live in Dublins inner city in the late eighties through to the early mid 90s

Allinall wrote: »

What I saw was shocking. People sitting outside pubs and restaurants enjoying themselves.
    Searched yards and yards of pavements, but not one bit of excrement could I find.

I'll try again at the weekend, and hopefully will have something more positive to report.

"Didn't see anyone taking crack or heroin.
    Searched yards and yards of pavements, but not one bit of excrement could I find"

Are you sure you went through Henry Street and all those small street close to ILAC mall? WHY DON'T YOU MAKE A VIDEO NEXT TIME AND POST IT HERE? (INCLUDING THE PAVEMENTS). You see I am very stupid not to believe in that. Please humiliate me once again

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

This post feels about 3 months out of date. The city is already a lot better than it was just during the lockdown. Will get back to normal soon once the last restrictions end.

Dublin was not in any way unusual in that by the way. Loads of cities around Europe had curfews in place for months. Once you take out the normal football and activities in a city, it is to be expected that the atmosphere will worsen as druggies and criminals see a chance to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There are definitely more junkies in the centre of Dublin than in any other city I've been too; at the same time, there seems to be fairly little petty crime like pickpockets and muggings, and women are a lot less likely to be harassed than in other European cities.

So, as with so many things, a bit of a mixed bag.

There in every city but in other cities that you visit, you're not there as often as Dublin or know it as well. Also the centre you talk about is really O'Connell St and it's off shoots so quite a small concentrated area. You see less of them around College green , Grafton St etc. In other cities they'd be more spread out or confined to other areas

Despite the trollish post from the OP Dublin is a very safe and vibrant city to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I live in Dublin city center. I am not from here or have family. Throughout the entire pandemic, I have not seen a single fight. Nor a single person taking crack/heroin (obviously have seen a few enjoying the subsequent side effects). Not one bit of dog poo. Agree with the "no guards", but that has always been the case. I see and know, lots of single girls who walk alone without being afraid their own shadow.

Dublin has always been a dirty kip. It is proud of being a dirty kip. But it is a totally liveable dirty kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

In my early 20’s as a poor student I briefly lived in Dublin City Centre. It was a kip back then. There was an alley behind the apartment. Very popular spot for junkies shooting up. Never felt safe walking around after dark. Plenty of fights witnessed and many of those between couples. It was a culture shock to be honest and luckily rents crashed and I was able to get out of there to the suburbs of South Dublin.I can’t imagine it got any better during the pandemic when there was a drop in workers going in and out of the city every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I work with a fair few EU nationals, there are 3 French women in my team. They have no issues walking around Dublin on their own at night and feel much safer here than in any large French town or city.

There's a lot more visible issues here than in some cities, but to be honest at this stage they are more in the category of annoying, but tend to stay out of your way. I'd be very familiar with Hamburg and Frankfurt, they have some serious drug problems and I've seen far worse there than here as well as far more open gang criminality.

Yeah, Dublin can be frustrating at times, but it's not as bad as most European cities in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Its grand, could be better but could be a lot worse.

More Gardai and an effective system of dealing with scumbags wouldn't go amiss but that's a wider issue than just Dublin.

our police force much prefer plonking themselves on roads holding speed cameras or pulling people over for motor tax offenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    our police force much prefer plonking themselves on roads holding speed cameras or pulling people over for motor tax offenses

And they don't even do that enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dotsman wrote: »
    I live in Dublin city center. I am not from here or have family. Throughout the entire pandemic, I have not seen a single fight. Nor a single person taking crack/heroin (obviously have seen a few enjoying the subsequent side effects). Not one bit of dog poo. Agree with the "no guards", but that has always been the case. I see and know, lots of single girls who walk alone without being afraid their own shadow.

Dublin has always been a dirty kip. It is proud of being a dirty kip. But it is a totally liveable dirty kip.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who goes into town, enjoys going to the shops or to Merrion or St Stephen's Green, has a nice lunch, goes for a coffee, and generally just has a nice time.
    Everyone else is just getting high off other people's heroin smoke and avoiding being stabbed.
    I love going into town myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don’t like Dublin and would hate to live there. I have seen this type of post regularly before and I have to ask, especially non nationals who have no family here…why the hell did YOU chose to live in Dublin? There are hundreds if not thousands of other towns and villages that you could have chosen to move to where rent would be considerably less and you would have a better quality of life than living in a dingey flat in Dublin City centre. Move the **** out of the city if it’s that bad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bring back lugs brannigan

fryup wrote: »
    bring back lugs brannigan

no he sounded like a horrible wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Been in a few times and have seen a few dodgy characters and shouting matches between said dodgy characters.

I've seen plenty of garda too.

It's okay but could be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe he had to be to get the job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No deluge of culchies in this thread talking about how much of a kip they know Dublin is?

Non nationals end up living in Dublin because the majority of jobs that attract people to come and live in another country are based in Dublin. Seems a simple enough thing to understand.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I hate people whinging about Dublin, I love living here and will defend it always. However twice recently I brought my daughter to the Jervis St. McDonalds, and multiple people were openly doing crack in that green area behind The Church, so while perhaps exaggerated, that part is not totally false.

There was also a group of 2-3 spaced out junkies trying to steal a bike in broad daylight; they were gradually joined by more and more fellow zombies who only impeded their effort. There were about 8 of them at it by the time I left, one had injured himself in his attempts. There were at least 50 people out of their minds on something.

Suppose it helps that they congregate in one area and can be avoided, but it's a shame that when they're so visible there isn't more of a Garda presence, especially just off one of the main shopping streets in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

nullzero wrote: »
    No deluge of culchies in this thread talking about how much of a kip they know Dublin is?

Non nationals end up living in Dublin because the majority of jobs that attract people to come and live in another country are based in Dublin. Seems a simple enough thing to understand.

I don't think so. A place with 1.5 million people out of 5 million is unlikely to have the majority of anything. And certainly not non nationals, according to the Census.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The areas around O'Connell and Henry Streets and The Quays definitely need investment, tighter controls on shops fronts and outdoor amenities, but it's hardly the wild west.

It all just looks very run down and neglected for a city centre.

The areas around O'Connell and Henry Streets and The Quays definitely need investment, tighter controls on shops fronts and outdoor amenities, but it's hardly the wild west.

It all just looks very run down and neglected for a city centre.

Yeah it doesn't really bother me but for all the people who love to hate on Dublin and call it a kip etc, if you just avoid the north inner city and stay south of Dame St, it's a pretty nice place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've lived in Dublin pretty much all my life and I work in the city centre I'm still alive as far as I know ha.

There are a lot of junkies around yeah no doubt about that but the majority of the time there at each other your just unlucky if you end up dealing with them. It happens but its not something that happens to everyone and anyone in the area like some seem to think.

O Connell street is a dark dirty kip of a place but again I've managed to avoid any real issues on there over the years.

The worst street I come across on a regular basis is Moore street. The place needs to be floored and start over. Its a ghetto covered in scummy townies and Gypsies any bit of Dublin culture it once had is long gone.

To be honest what can the Guards really do about it ? They can arrest or move people on but the ****ers are right back out doing it again the next day. Scum have more rights than normal decent people until that changes and the government stops ignoring the anti social problems on the streets in Ireland than we will just have to put up with it or leave and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i think he meant "craic"

°°°°°

I don't think so. A place with 1.5 million people out of 5 million is unlikely to have the majority of anything. And certainly not non nationals, according to the Census.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

So you are arguing that Ireland isn't skewed in a Dublin centric manner?

All the people living in the surrounding counties who clog the roads in and out of Dublin every day are just there for fun?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

And it is also said that Erik turned back to Damo the Viking and said: "I was expecting more after that winter, alright. And you know what? That black pool is starting to give me the heebie jeebies. It's unnaturally black. I don't think we should be camping here here at all, at all. Give me clear water any day of the week, Damo. Not that black stuff. No good will come of it, mark my words." --The Annals of Damo, 500 A.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Walking down from the Spire through North Earl st onto Talbot St heading towards Connolly Station is some sight.

Have had to do it a few Saturdays during lockdown, town was fairly quiet apart from the "characters" you would see on the route outlined above.

I am a Dub and fcuk me, town was an absolute sh1thole during my visits while in lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hello Moto GP

Lived in Dublin for three years, an absolute kip of a place. Never, ever again even if my salary was doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GymComerford

As a dub its sad to see what the city has become.

The capital city is a toilet , covered in skidmarks

Members of my family were subjected to 3 aggressions in the last 2 months. I guess it is enough form me to write this post or should I wait some other episodes?

BTW, I would really want to see some wise people here having the courage to simply send their children to school alone in this area or to play with friends! (Easy to talk if you come only once in town for a pint with friends)

I refer to Four Courts, Croppies Memorial Park, Church Street, Capel Street, Arran street, Ormond Quay, O'Connor, Jervis, Christ Church ..(this is the surrounding where I live)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Liam32123 wrote: »
    Members of my family were subjected to 3 aggressions in the last 2 months. I guess it is enough form me to write this post or should I wait some other episodes?

BTW, I would really want to see some wise people here having the courage to simply send their children to school alone in this area or to play with friends! (Easy to talk if you come only once in town for a pint with friends)

I refer to Four Courts, Croppies Memorial Park, Church Street, Capel Street, Arran street, Ormond Quay, O'Connor, Jervis, Christ Church ..(this is the surrounding where I live)

Call into the Bridewell and talk to someone about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gold plated legend.

But no. Sadly, the Garda Commissioner's priorities at the moment extend to beard growth, tunics, turbans and rainbow flagged patrol cars.

This City needs an executive mayor and quick. We need rid of unaccountable solo runners like Owen Keegan and one-year honorary Lord Mayors who host Christmas dinners for auld ones and jollies for reformed druggies in the Mansion House.

We need a strong, accountable, first citizen, with powers over security, planning, transport, economic development and the public realm. We need him or her to fight for what the people of the City really want and need to make a good life, not let is slide further into being a haven for petty criminals, drug dealers and a grimy transient economy for wasters.

Limerick is doing it already. Why aren't we?

Last time I got off the train at Heuston and exited to get a LUAS these scenes greeted me "Bud can you spare a Yauroh :

557770.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

Lived in Dublin for three years, an absolute kip of a place. Never, ever again even if my salary was doubled.

Not even if yer salary was dublin?

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

There's junkies and bad areas in any city. For some reason we seem to have ghettoized our capital city center.

Why do the non working class get housed in prime locations?

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your clearly in the minority and you dont know what a kip actually is. For me Dublin is one of the best places to live in the world, id never live anywhere else. People always exadurate the crime level, i have always found it a safe place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Gold plated legend.

But no. Sadly, the Garda Commissioner's priorities at the moment extend to beard growth, tunics, turbans and rainbow flagged patrol cars.

This City needs an executive mayor and quick. We need rid of unaccountable solo runners like Owen Keegan and one-year honorary Lord Mayors who host Christmas dinners for auld ones and jollies for reformed druggies in the Mansion House.

We need a strong, accountable, first citizen, with powers over security, planning, transport, economic development and the public realm. We need him or her to fight for what the people of the City really want and need to make a good life, not let is slide further into being a haven for petty criminals, drug dealers and a grimy transient economy for wasters.

Limerick is doing it already. Why aren't we?

We need Batman.

°°°°°

We just didn't like you and wanted you out.

Mission accomplished.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Greyfox wrote: »
    Your clearly in the minority and you dont know what a kip actually is. For me Dublin is one of the best places to live in the world, id never live anywhere else. People always exadurate the crime level, i have always found it a safe place to live.

I just fcukin' love Dublin.

nullzero wrote: »
    We just didn't like you and wanted you out.

Mission accomplished.

I believe in that. You seem not to like many persons here in Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement