Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

There definitely occasions where the wind in blowing and the pin rattling in the hole that makes a 4 or 5 footer more difficult. Overall though I am surprised how much I have got used to the pin in though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

prefer it in myself. dont think think any advantage to taking it out.

played captains day today with actual sand in bunkers. some difference

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Has anyone found good light weight, water resistant top/sweaters for use in warmer summer weather. I have good waterproof Calvin Green tops and bottoms and several light FJ tops that just soak-up water but looking for something that deals with those summer days with passing showers without having to put-on and take-off the rain gear that can get quite sweaty unless rain is very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

bmay529 wrote: »
    Has anyone found good light weight, water resistant top/sweaters for use in warmer summer weather. I have good waterproof Calvin Green tops and bottoms and several light FJ tops that just soak-up water but looking for something that deals with those summer days with passing showers without having to put-on and take-off the rain gear that can get quite sweaty unless rain is very heavy.

someone suggested craghoppers and no complaints from me so far. trousers are very comfortable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Are you blaming it because the ball sometimes hits the pin and bounces out

Or that mentally the PIN affects your stroke somehow ?

Just think it causes me to push the putts really. Don’t mind it in on long putts it’s just the short ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Deliberately set up and aim to hit ball out of the toe of the club

Had this before and the only way I found to cure it is place a headcover 1 inch from the toe of the club when practicing at the driving range. But get a lesson, multiple things can cause the dreaded hotel rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

I have hit the Pin 3 or 4 times in the last couple of rounds were if the pin was out they would of dropped 100% as they weren't hard putts very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

benny79 wrote: »
    I have hit the Pin 3 or 4 times in the last couple of rounds were if the pin was out they would of dropped 100% as they weren't hard putts very frustrating!

We have a rule that your playing partners can hold the flag straight if its leaning towards you, do you have this rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Same rule applies at my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Can you not get your playing partner to pull back the pin if you think its blowing towards you? Putts should not bounce out then unless they are absolutely hammered at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Can you not get your playing partner to pull back the pin if you think its blowing towards you? Putts should not bounce out then unless they are absolutely hammered at it!

Does this not defy the whole point of not being able to handle the pin?

Also different courses have different flag stick sizes and then you just have some putts where you need to ram it

Our club has yet to put the bins back, airlines for cleaning shoes, ball washers and even the ringers out of the bells to signal the fairway is clear

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Also different courses have different flag stick sizes and then you just have some putts where you need to ram it

Our club has yet to put the bins back, airlines for cleaning shoes, ball washers and even the ringers out of the bells to signal the fairway is clear

I use my putter head to hold the pin back so dont have to touch it.

DuckSlice wrote: »
    We have a rule that your playing partners can hold the flag straight if its leaning towards you, do you have this rule?

No Not that im aware of but Im 99% we dont. Sure whats the difference in that and taking it out? I have noticed at other clubs they have bins & ball washers back on course. Will still dont even though I have asked loads of times.

Plus had nothing to do with the wind it was the angle the flag was sitting in the cup and the angle the ball went in. I used to always play with flag out for this reason.

Plus had nothing to do with the wind it was the angle the flag was sitting in the cup and the angle the ball went in. I used to always play with flag out for this reason.

Are you sure you just didnt hit a bad putt :D:D

Well anytime I've been asked to do it I just pull it back with my putter head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No Not that im aware of but Im 99% we dont. Sure whats the difference in that and taking it out? I have noticed at other clubs they have bins & ball washers back on course. Will still dont even though I have asked loads of times.

We have 2 bins out on our course, and also have the air back on at the 18th to clean shoes and wheels. Have a hand sanitizer attached to the wall beside it.

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Are you sure you just didnt hit a bad putt :D:D

Ha. No it wasnt :D its actually starting to happen alot between myself and playing partners.

Well anytime I've been asked to do it I just pull it back with my putter head.

Might come across as irrational but I'm unwilling to use mine, its cost enough I don't want it marked unnesscarily

Might come across as irrational but I'm unwilling to use mine, its cost enough I don't want it marked unnesscarily

Your hardly going to mark it pulling back a green pin, its probably less than the impact than actually putting the ball!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Holidaying in Sligo this week. Was out in Rosses Point at the beach. Saw this sign and made me smile....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Our club has removed the little pull up contraption that was on the pins only done the other day but no mention as to why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Our club has removed the little pull up contraption that was on the pins only done the other day but no mention as to why

Please let us take the pins put again. please! Hate putting with them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Probably because they add no value other than spring the odd putt out of the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone's Thomas O'Connor shoots 63 in Lahinch on opening day of the South of Ireland.

Could that be a course record ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Druids Golf is incredibly aggressive at marketing, I ordered once from them last year and despite deselecting all the marketing stuff I started getting emails nearly every day about their 'incredible' offers, not to mention the all my social media full of their ads(That's down to cookies though). Took a few tries but the unsubscribe eventually worked. Now in the past couple of weeks I've started getting text messages. There is no number to block and no way to stop the messages. I find it strange that companies do this kind of marketing, the clothes I got from them were only okay, clearly cheapo Chinese stuff that isn't going to last long(The gloves disintegrated after a few rounds) but not bad at the heavily "discounted" prices. I would've considered ordering again in future but this aggressive marketing has me turned right off them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

they are relentless. So annoying to keep getting the emails but I'd rather emails than text messages

5hrs 30 minute round

Must have been 30 golf balls lost between two of them. I was there a few years ago, we all have, but I was never that slow. Last to putt out, first on the tee and usually last to hit my second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Often an issue with those new to the game, was it in a comp or casual? I've been wondering about this in terms of slow play, most of our big comps are stroke play and I've wondered is there anything to be said for including a cut off score on some holes? Similar to the nett double bogey used for adjusted gross for handicap purposes. My thinking would be;

Par 3s - 8 or above=pick up

Par 4s - 9 or above=pick up

Par 5s - 10 or above=pick up

With a pick up or scratch equating to a score of 10 on those holes. Only issue I can think of is for those with really high handicaps, is a 10 the end of a round for them or is it possible to card a ten in a stroke play comp and still put in a score? For me if I have anything above a double bogey my round is usually destroyed unless I play lights out for the way in, I'd imagine must players up to maybe 25 handicap would be similar? I have obviously done no research into this so I could be way off but something that has popped into my mind when I see someone reloading a 3rd or 4th time on a hole. It would speed up competition play while also ensuring that people don't get totally fed up with their own round or their playing partners.

Advertisement