Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

So tight. Hard to know if extratime suits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Can't buy a decision from Horgan

4 handy frees to Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

It's a hugely exciting game but agree, the difference in puck outs between both teams is incredible.
    How many scores have Wex got from their clever puck outs versus our crude ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Wexford look faster and fitter. I fancy Wexford to win extra time

• Advertisement

Who played that criminal pass into midfield?

Deegan.

Where was the full back line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

What outfield player went off after the sin bin of Murphy?

robwen wrote: »
    What outfield player went off after the sin bin of Murphy?

Bergin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That pass from Deegan that led to the goal... Christ almighty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Headless chicken stuff.

Never in doubt......

Thoroughly enjoyable game.

Delighted with the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭blackcard

We may not be great but they showed great fight when going down to 14 men and a goal down as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

I expected Kilkenny to win with comfort as Wexford have had their day but it took a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fair play to the lads, they dominated extratime. Subs made a big difference. Can never question the effort anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I don't come down on him as hard as many but damn if his deliveries/passes don't go astray more often than not.

Too many long puckouts we kept losing but still a really enjoyable match. Good to see Wally have a big impact.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    I don't come down on him as hard as many but damn if his deliveries/passes don't go astray more often than not.

Too many long puckouts we kept losing but still a really enjoyable match. Good to see Wally have a big impact.

Great for Wally's confidence, tbiggertycome had said before the match that he was in good form and he was proved right. He really came into the game after a quiet start when brought on.

Wonderful stuff but will only matter if we learned lessons.
    4-5 players have surely played themselves out of the equation, and no harm in that for me, I think we were fooling ourselves with a few of them.

Donnely and Walsh immense in X time

I thought Billy Ryan was poor in regular time but credit to Kilkenny management for reintroducing him when they saw Wex players starting to generally struggle with cramp etc.

A great win, but we have to learn from it.

I'm being greedy but Darren Mullen and Delaney in backs and R Hogan in mix, and I think we match anyone.
    Midfield stilla worry, but Maher gone to top of pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭blackcard

Eoin Murphy's save from Rory O'Connor followed by Billy Ryan's point was pivotal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Was the minor match streamed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

blackcard wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy's save from Rory O'Connor followed by Billy Ryan's point was pivotal

This reaction save was the turning point.
    A mixed bag overall but we have to stop with the high ball in crowded full forward lines. If there's only 2 on 2 then fine but we were losing these all day.
    Corcoran, browne and leahy not really on the game from the start but we never gave up.
    One of the most disappointing aspects of the game was literally having only 1 player in wexfords half for most of their puckouts. They had so much time to start their running game. Ironically it came undone with tj intercepting one of these in the last few minutes.
    Walter did excellently for the goal. Bergin did well when introduced too and Cody will take some watching. Adding the threat of mullen, Billy Ryan and tj we have scorers to match any team in the country.
    I've also said this many times but padraig walsh centre back is not ideal. A super hurlers but in every match there are times when his area is left wide open after he travels up the field. Happened today a number of times. I know positions mean very little now in the game bur we have to cover that area and any threat that comes in there.

The really really frustrating thing is until extra time when TJ gave a diagonal ball to Cody and Donnelly gave a ball down the line for Bergin we completely abandoned everything we were doing well in the league. Never tried to run the ball from the back, never tried to play a ball outside a corner forward. I just don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Delighted with the result, fitness and never give up attitude. Still plenty to work on and still issues in most lines of the team. Cannot understand the puck outs at all. Thought Mullen did a lot of dirty work today and Eoin Cody looked like a leader in the attack. I think Cody’s experiment of trying to turn Paddy Deegan into Jackie Tyrell has not worked and maybe should be one thing looked at for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

The really really frustrating thing is until extra time when TJ gave a diagonal ball to Cody and Donnelly gave a ball down the line for Bergin we completely abandoned everything we were doing well in the league. Never tried to run the ball from the back, never tried to play a ball outside a corner forward. I just don't get it

As frustrating as it was the irony is that wexford ran with the ball a lot more and were burned out by extra time. Let the ball do the work..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

Brian017 wrote: »
    Was the minor match streamed anywhere?

https://page.inplayer.com/offalygaafaithfultv/

As frustrating as it was the irony is that wexford ran with the ball a lot more and were burned out by extra time. Let the ball do the work..

I get what you're saying but we weren't playing like Wexford in the league. Work the ball to midfield to draw the defenders out and then ping the corners. If the defenders don't come out to meet you kill them from midfield. But we just launched ball down. And the long ball isn't even accurate. 90% of the time our forwards are having to reverse to get under the ball which means the defender is in the best position and Wexford are always going to have more bodies back for the breaking ball.

Look, we won which is the main thing obviously but Jesus we're doing the same thing that hasn't worked for the last 5 years like.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Wonderful stuff but will only matter if we learned lessons.
    4-5 players have surely played themselves out of the equation, and no harm in that for me, I think we were fooling ourselves with a few of them.

Donnely and Walsh immense in X time

I thought Billy Ryan was poor in regular time but credit to Kilkenny management for reintroducing him when they saw Wex players starting to generally struggle with cramp etc.

A great win, but we have to learn from it.

I'm being greedy but Darren Mullen and Delaney in backs and R Hogan in mix, and I think we match anyone.
    Midfield stilla worry, but Maher gone to top of pecking order

Donnelly makes such an impact & is consistent. he's like TJ when it comes to coming out of messy situations with the sliotar. Turns a lot of quality players over without clumsy tackles. Pretty accurate as well. ...and what a hit! He may have dipped a bit going in but looked shoulder to shoulder from my couch. Wally did great to stay focused and get his rewards after a slow start.
    Plenty of work to do but enjoyable match.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

I find it extraordinary with 2 wing backs struggling and all of the full-back line walking tight ropes with yellows that Darren Mullen wasn't brought in.
    Not sure what is the point of naming him if no intention of playing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I thought Darren Brennan played his part when he came in he slowed down the game a notch his puck outs were good.

Advertisement