Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I worked with a lad that set up the first (and possibly only) Frisbee Golf course in Ireland in Kippure Estate in Wicklow. Ownership changed though and he had to close last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd love a hurling version.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You mean like... Golf? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It actually exists here believe it or not, only heard about it recently

https://www.footgolfcork.com/hurlgolf/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Not sure where to post this but was on TK Maxx in today and picked up a pair of RLX trousers for €55 and an Original Penguin Polo for €23. About a third of their normal cost and the RLX trousers are really good quality, delighted with them considering would have paid more for the basic UA or Adidas equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

So I just getting back into golf this year after a break of about 5 years and have been browsing new clubs for fun :pac:, not really considering changing anything at the moment :rolleyes: but what the f**k, prices are crazy, nearly €600 for top end drivers, over €1400 for a 4-PW irons set! Those prices must be at least 1/3 more expensive that about 5 years, that's crazy!

Still some of those new clubs are so pretty (I'm looking at you MP-20's) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

dwd wrote: »
    So I just getting back into golf this year after a break of about 5 years and have been browsing new clubs for fun :pac:, not really considering changing anything at the moment :rolleyes: but what the f**k, prices are crazy, nearly €600 for top end drivers, over €1400 for a 4-PW irons set! Those prices must be at least 1/3 more expensive that about 5 years, that's crazy!

Still some of those new clubs are so pretty (I'm looking at you MP-20's) :D

Just checked the newest version of mine (900 forged vs 921 ) and only a difference of about €10.

Drivers have gotten more expensivefor sure though, and I'm not sure if fairway woods were 300euro before :eek:

Second hand is just as mental, seen a set of TM R7's sell for 250 last week on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Just checked the newest version of mine (900 forged vs 921 ) and only a difference of about €10.

Drivers have gotten more expensivefor sure though, and I'm not sure if fairway woods were 300euro before :eek:

Second hand is just as mental, seen a set of TM R7's sell for 250 last week on adverts

on the irons i was comparing my mizuno mp59's 3-PW which I got around 2014 for €850 to mp20-mcc's which are currently ~€1300 for 4-PW. But I guess Titleist irons would have been at a higher price point compared to Mizuno.

I find it hard to fathom paying so much for a driver though, there's been little progress in terms of performance in the last couple of years. TS2 vs TSi2 for example, from youtube reviews, the difference is only aesthetics really, everything else is purely marginal.

dwd wrote: »
    on the irons i was comparing my mizuno mp59's 3-PW which I got around 2014 for €850 to mp20-mcc's which are currently ~€1300 for 4-PW. But I guess Titleist irons would have been at a higher price point compared to Mizuno.

I find it hard to fathom paying so much for a driver though, there's been little progress in terms of performance in the last couple of years. TS2 vs TSi2 for example, from youtube reviews, the difference is only aesthetics really, everything else is purely marginal.

Sorry the 900's are Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, should have put the full model in.

Unless your swing has changed to favour a different launch or spin, and if you were using a driver that suits, I don't think you'll see any improvements under 5years if even. Sometimes you just feel like you need a change aswell though and I get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Am after developing a very worrying case of the sh+#ks! Started with wedges and short irons but is creeping further of the bag. Jaysus it's terrible. Any advice out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Deliberately set up and aim to hit ball out of the toe of the club

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Am after developing a very worrying case of the sh+#ks! Started with wedges and short irons but is creeping further of the bag. Jaysus it's terrible. Any advice out there?
    Lesson, it's the quickest way to sort it. I've a few swing faults that can creep in and cause it so it's rare any one answer will fix it forever but a good lesson can.

On the course fix is aim for the toe of the club, I've gotten them bad enough that I had to try and graze the inside of the ball with the edge of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm thinking of getting a new set of wedges but not sure if I should bother. I've only been playing golf about 4 years and have 15 handicap. I have a SM6 52 degree which I use for everything from 50 to 100 yards out. I'm inconsistent with it because I have to vary how hard I hit it depending on the distance, full shots are hardest to execute and invariably fall shot as I get under it too much. I also have a 58 degree high bounce which I use for everything near the green and bunkers. Ideally what I'd like is 50, 54 and 58. Maybe I should keep my 58 and just get 50 and 54? Also I'm going for more lessons next week so will ask him as well

I'm thinking of getting a new set of wedges but not sure if I should bother. I've only been playing golf about 4 years and have 15 handicap. I have a SM6 52 degree which I use for everything from 50 to 100 yards out. I'm inconsistent with it because I have to vary how hard I hit it depending on the distance, full shots are hardest to execute and invariably fall shot as I get under it too much. I also have a 58 degree high bounce which I use for everything near the green and bunkers. Ideally what I'd like is 50, 54 and 58. Maybe I should keep my 58 and just get 50 and 54? Also I'm going for more lessons next week so will ask him as well

What degree is your PW?

Do you generally play links or parkland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Full shots with the gap wedges are definitely my downfall too. Half a pitching wedge does the job much better most of the time when I remember to do it. Say it to your pro about the difficulty you have with the shot. You're probably throwing your body out of position by forcing the shot. It would be the same for me and I tend to sway my body forward when trying to generate 10 more yards with the gap wedge which gives the same strike you described

If you're happy with your 58, dont change it. Having a wedge you can use decently around the greens is invaluable and changing it now could set you back

Why would people ever want to watch other people play golf on TV?

whatnow! wrote: »

Because it's nice to watch the game being played well instead of the ****e I usually watch myself play on sunday

Pro tournaments or the lads you see on YouTube?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

redzerdrog wrote: »
    What degree is your PW?

Do you generally play links or parkland?

I think it's 46 but I'd need to get it checked. I feel like it's 46 because pitching wedge will go 110-120 yards for me and 52 would be 80-90. 100 yard shots are tricky for me, I usually just try take a bit off my pitching wedge which is easier said than done. I'm almost exclusively parkland so low punchy shots is not something I'd do very often(on purpose)

I think it's 46 but I'd need to get it checked. I feel like it's 46 because pitching wedge will go 110-120 yards for me and 52 would be 80-90. 100 yard shots are tricky for me, I usually just try take a bit off my pitching wedge which is easier said than done. I'm almost exclusively parkland so low punchy shots is not something I'd do very often(on purpose)

Something that has really helped me with half shots is to think of the swing like the hands on a clock. Address position is half 6 on the clock. Both hands down and then imagine the distance I want to hit by how far back and through I want to swing.

A quarter to 3
    ten to 2
    five to 1

Are the times on the clock face i am usually trying to replicate. For your 100 yard shot, it would be the pitching wedge or 9 iron swung to "five to 1" - that is, bringing your back-swing up as far as the 11 on your clock face and through-swing in reverse around the clock back to the 1. I have found for myself, using this visualisation of feel that I have become much better at half shots and usually while addressing the ball, I will take a couple of rehearsals to see if its a "10 to 2" shot or a "5 to 1" shot before executing to get that feel.

There are couple of shots in athlone where the slope means the ball is below your feet and playing a 7 or 8 iron from 90-100 yards with a "ten to 2" swing means I hit the green more often than not. it might not be the most glamorous way to play golf, but it is effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rikand wrote: »
    Something that has really helped me with half shots is to think of the swing like the hands on a clock. Address position is half 6 on the clock. Both hands down and then imagine the distance I want to hit by how far back and through I want to swing.

A quarter to 3
    ten to 2
    five to 1

Are the times on the clock face i am usually trying to replicate. For your 100 yard shot, it would be the pitching wedge or 9 iron swung to "five to 1" - that is, bringing your back-swing up as far as the 11 on your clock face and through-swing in reverse around the clock back to the 1. I have found for myself, using this visualisation of feel that I have become much better at half shots and usually while addressing the ball, I will take a couple of rehearsals to see if its a "10 to 2" shot or a "5 to 1" shot before executing to get that feel.

There are couple of shots in athlone where the slope means the ball is below your feet and playing a 7 or 8 iron from 90-100 yards with a "ten to 2" swing means I hit the green more often than not. it might not be the most glamorous way to play golf, but it is effective

Great method, I'd nearly say to keep it to something simple like a 10 to 2 swing, with varying lofts, if starting out. If you're carrying 4 wedges and an 9 iron, you should have 5 solid distances between 50-110.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's weird that, with years of GameGolf under my belt I know my landing and roll out distances very well but the half swing gets me not half the distance but more like 2/3rds, if I could just hit it where I want to hit it and avoid rusty chunks the shots would fall away...but alas I rely on the mood of the golfing Gods and they are very inconsistent these days

Any better format than a full scramble for a bit of fun?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I love watching golf on tv. I usually have a small wager on a few players too.
    I also love watching play-offs for the intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like the team events.
    Two scores on each hole and maybe four to score on a difficult par 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Champagne scramble? Pick the best tee shot and finish out the hole individually from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why would people ever want to watch other people play football on tv...or tennis...or cricket...or bake a cake? Why not?

If it is 46 then yeh 50, 54, and 58 makes most sense provided you wana carry that many wedges. If you trust the 58 you have then I'd just replace the other two.
    On the vokey site they have a questionnaire that helps you select how much bounce and grind is needed, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Will we ever get to take out the pin again? Convinced it’s why I miss some short putts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

slingerz wrote: »
    Will we ever get to take out the pin again? Convinced it’s why I miss some short putts

Are you blaming it because the ball sometimes hits the pin and bounces out

Or that mentally the PIN affects your stroke somehow ?

Advertisement