Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I bought a Stihl RMI 632 today , dealer sold Husqvarna and Kress as well , he claimed the Husqvarna was a poor relation of the Stihl

anyway all in fitted 3200 , covers up to 3000 sqr metres

Sounds like there is a better mark-up on the Stihl!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I finished my video about the robot lawnmowers. It's aimed at people who are considering getting a mower, I tried to cover all the things I wanted to know before getting mine.

Thanks Airbee and KCross for your inputs for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭shane b

Mad_maxx wrote:
    I bought a Stihl RMI 632 today , dealer sold Husqvarna and Kress as well , he claimed the Husqvarna was a poor relation of the Stihl

In chainsaws yes, automowers not so sure.
    I had the opposite advice from a local sthil dealer. He changed from selling sthil to husgavarna automower recently as the husgavarna is less problematic.
    He would class Sthil as a better saw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

The service has to do with (in car terms) the suspension. It's the 3 wheel 105 and I've now had the back wheel replaced twice, the wheel just falls to pieces. I feel the problem is with the rubber dampers as they seem to be worn and actually bent a little so I feel the support is not there. I see this unit is not being sold anymore so would also be concerned that I won't get parts in the near future. Would love to get the suspension overhauled so I could get a few more years out of it but my dealer is very busy at the moment and it would be great if I knew someone who just solely concentrated on overhauling the unit.

The service has to do with (in car terms) the suspension. It's the 3 wheel 105 and I've now had the back wheel replaced twice, the wheel just falls to pieces. I feel the problem is with the rubber dampers as they seem to be worn and actually bent a little so I feel the support is not there. I see this unit is not being sold anymore so would also be concerned that I won't get parts in the near future. .

I got a 105 fitted earlier this year so they are still available. Dealer said husgavarna were to phase them out but decided against it. It cost me 900 euro plus fitting. Dealer said the charging unit is about 400 euro on its own
    You could you ring one of the dealers and see if they had a reconditioned one or could they order a bare unit on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Noticed the past two day the mower keeps getting stuck. The grass has gotten extremely thick.

It’s usually out twice a day for two hours at a time. I’ve changed it to three hours at a time. Does 6 hours a day seem like a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Noticed the past two day the mower keeps getting stuck. The grass has gotten extremely thick.

It’s usually out twice a day for two hours at a time. I’ve changed it to three hours at a time. Does 6 hours a day seem like a lot?

How long is a piece of string!

It depends on the mower and the size/complexity of the lawn.

Ultimately, if it’s not keeping up with the growth you simply have to send it out more

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Have a look at what your automower is speced for vs the area to cut. For example I have a husgavarna 315 and according to the guide it should take about 10 hrs to cut my area (about 1000 sq metres).
    When I was mulching with an ordinary lawnmower I was mulching about twice a week. I'm using the same logic with the automower and seems to be working so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks for the link here Kcross

Suggestions needed.

This is my house and garden. Currently 3 areas, with 1 and 2 linked by a strip of grass about 1m wide that goes up quite steeply at the end although I could possibly flatten it a bit.

557275.jpg

More difficult is the concrete driveway between areas 2 and 3. Can a mower cross that area if I dipped the kerbs? I understand it would need to follow a guide wire but there are joints in the concrete like this one:

557276.jpg

So I could possibly dig a narrow track in the middle rather than butchering the whole area.

Finally section 4 is an area of rough ground behind the back fence that is part of my site, I've just never got around to turning it into a lawn. I will do someday though so that would be additional grass area.

The full site is about 0.8 of an acre so that should give a rough idea of the sq m of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Crossing from 2 to 3 could be done using wires in the concrete but high risk somebody would hit it with a car. Could you run wires close to the shed between 1 and 3 so there's less risk if a collision?

• Advertisement

searay wrote: »
    Crossing from 2 to 3 could be done using wires in the concrete but high risk somebody would hit it with a car. Could you run wires close to the shed between 1 and 3 so there's less risk if a collision?

Not much risk of a collision. Anyone coming in the drive other than ourselves would need to buzz the electric gates so could be warned in advance.

Plus there is a wall along the front of area 1 as it's raised a few feet so the only place a crossing is possible would be where the red ? is on the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

So I could possibly dig a narrow track in the middle rather than butchering the whole area.

I bought a curved chisel bit for my hammer drill to do exactly this for the power to the basestation across a footpath. Haven't done it yet but it could work for you too.

I was thinking of using some external tile grout to re-cover the cable. Probably not suitable for you if cars are driving on it though. Although for a guidewire you might be able to just push it down into the control joints in the concrete without any digging...

Either of these 2 joints would do the trick.

557366.jpg

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks for the link here Kcross

Suggestions needed.

This is my house and garden. Currently 3 areas, with 1 and 2 linked by a strip of grass about 1m wide that goes up quite steeply at the end although I could possibly flatten it a bit.

More difficult is the concrete driveway between areas 2 and 3. Can a mower cross that area if I dipped the kerbs? I understand it would need to follow a guide wire but there are joints in the concrete like this one:

Finally section 4 is an area of rough ground behind the back fence that is part of my site, I've just never got around to turning it into a lawn. I will do someday though so that would be additional grass area.

The full site is about 0.8 of an acre so that should give a rough idea of the sq m of grass.

A few things Phil.

To put a guide wire across the drive would require you to actually put in 3 wires across the drive a metre or so apart. The guide wire isn’t allowed cross the boundary wire so that might not be something you’d considered.

If putting in 3 wires is turning you off you could consider a second robot that only cuts section 3. A small robot for that area can be got quite cheap (€hundreds) and means no issues with the driveway then. It’s also next to your garage so looks like you won’t have issues getting power to that area for the charging station.

To get from 1–>2 you will need a guide wire for that section as it’s quite long and narrow so that needs to be part of your buying decision as some robots don’t have guide wires.

Thanks KCross

OK so to get this clear in my head, the guide wire can't cross the boundary, therefore I'd need to run the boundary either side and the guide in the middle?

How about if I ran the boundary wires in other tracks, which there are quite a few of due to the size. Could they double back towards the centre like this to form the boundary?

557378.jpg

I'd prefer not to have to fart about with 2 separate mowers.

As for the other side, is this area wide enough to accommodate the movement?

Narrow part
    557380.jpg

Gets wider on the way to the back
    557381.jpg

Narrow sloped bit as it joins
    557382.jpg

Thanks KCross

OK so to get this clear in my head, the guide wire can't cross the boundary, therefore I'd need to run the boundary either side and the guide in the middle?

How about if I ran the boundary wires in other tracks, which there are quite a few of due to the size. Could they double back towards the centre like this to form the boundary?

I'd prefer not to have to fart about with 2 separate mowers.

Not sure what you mean by double back but what you have shown with the red lines would technically work but what you end up with is the mower interpreting that wide area on the driveway between the two boundary wires as part of the lawn so it will actually spend time “cutting” that part of your driveway so not an ideal solution.

By keeping the area narrow it won’t naturally find its way across the driveway except when it’s specifically following the guide wire (i.e when it’s heading to area 3)

As for the other side, is this area wide enough to accommodate the movement?

Looks wide enough. Whatever robot you buy check it’s spec for min distance but looks ok to me.

It does definitely need a guide wire though and you may find that that narrow section needs some manual cutting. Long narrow sections are not the robots friend.

How do you cut that today? Does the ride on travel up there or do you have a push mower too?

KCross wrote: »
    How do you cut that today? Does the ride on travel up there or do you have a push mower too?

I do have an old push mower too but I usually just take the strimmer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

To put the wires across the driveway you only need a very small channel. I cut mine with a stone blade on a circular saw. Just needs to be deep enough to fit the wire and something over it to seal it

• Advertisement

spose wrote: »
    To put the wires across the driveway you only need a very small channel. I cut mine with a stone blade on a circular saw. Just needs to be deep enough to fit the wire and something over it to seal it

Yes and I could fit it into the existing track, but as KCross says I'd need 3 wires. That makes things tricker.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Some mowers i.e Ambrogio L350 Elite don't use guide wires, only boundary wires. Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Yes and I could fit it into the existing track, but as KCross says I'd need 3 wires. That makes things tricker.

I have 3 wires crossing about 12 to 15m of tarmac. It’s not a big deal. The channels cut by saw are so thin the don’t stand out much. I put a photo of it in this thread at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭celt262

Will the robot mower work on a second lawn with guide wires in place. I would have to carry it over.

I'm buying shortly and interested in a robot for obvious reason but power to the charger may be a problem on the main lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks - i only have a small enough grass area at back of the house. - maybe 25 meters squared - are there any mowers around the 500 euro mark that would be up to the task? pure laziness talking here as currently have a petrol mower which i take out every few weeks
    cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

hi folks - i only have a small enough grass area at back of the house. - maybe 25 meters squared - are there any mowers around the 500 euro mark that would be up to the task? pure laziness talking here as currently have a petrol mower which i take out every few weeks
    cheers,
    Mick

I got a Yard Force EasyMow 260 last month for €320, garden is 70m2 and it's grand. Cuts an hour each day no issues.

No app or anything fancy, the schedule is whatever time you first start it is the time it goes out at each day. No alarm or pin protection, no WiFi. Spending more just meant WiFi, an app or a 500m coverage but same 16cm cutting diameter as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I got a Yard Force EasyMow 260 last month for €320, garden is 70m2 and it's grand. Cuts an hour each day no issues.

No app or anything fancy, the schedule is whatever time you first start it is the time it goes out at each day. No alarm or pin protection, no WiFi. Spending more just meant WiFi, an app or a 500m coverage but same 16cm cutting diameter as far as I know.

can i ask where you bought from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

can i ask where you bought from?

My Robot Center, Austrian based I believe. Quick dispatch and delivery. Comes with a chunky EU plug but is just about covered by my outdoor socket. Amazon UK don't ship most of them here and the prices in the likes of B&Q or Screwfix are a good bit more expensive than online, especially for someone wanting to just get a basic one or has a small garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

celt262 wrote: »
    Will the robot mower work on a second lawn with guide wires in place. I would have to carry it over.

I'm buying shortly and interested in a robot for obvious reason but power to the charger may be a problem on the main lawn.

Yes, for most if not all models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Thank you, thank you thank you.  I had no idea these machines existed.  I got one installed last week.  All I can say is thank you thank you thank you.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Advertisement