Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone have any good outdoor dining recommendations? :)

I havent visited either since outdoor dining started but I've seen on social media that Murphys on college street and the Laurels at market square have good outdoor spaces. Both were good places for food before covid but as I said I havent been since outdoor started.

Actually, if its open Casita Mexicana was always nice imo. They always had outdoor seats anyway so I dont see any reason it shouldnt be open now. Run by a husband (chef) and wife (hostess/waitress) and spice is added to your liking. It's a bit on the expensive side but the food was always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hello all. Does anyone in Killarney recommend a firm who would be able to professionally soundproof an upstairs bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

dobman88 wrote: »
    Actually, if its open Casita Mexicana was always nice imo. They always had outdoor seats anyway so I dont see any reason it shouldnt be open now. Run by a husband (chef) and wife (hostess/waitress) and spice is added to your liking. It's a bit on the expensive side but the food was always good.

Yes that place is open, fabulous owners.

LilacNails wrote: »
    Yes that place is open, fabulous owners.

They really are. I do miss that place since I left Killarney. They're Welsh afair, always had a warm welcome and remembered you when you returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hi, will be visiting for a few days and just looking for a decent spot to book for the euros final?

Thanks

Hi, will be visiting for a few days and just looking for a decent spot to book for the euros final?

Thanks

From what I've seen, majority of places are walk in only.

My suggestion would be to have a look at social media and contact some places.

Scott's was always the best place to watch a game like that, massive outdoor screen, massive outdoor area and its covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

From what I've seen, majority of places are walk in only.

My suggestion would be to have a look at social media and contact some places.

Scott's was always the best place to watch a game like that, massive outdoor screen, massive outdoor area and its covered.

Thanks, Scott's does look like a good option, will just have to hope it's not full!

Listrydude wrote: »
    Where in Dingle? Heading there this weekend for a few nights away with mrs Listrydude so looking for ideas for food

Relevant to Dingle

https://twitter.com/Geaney15/status/1410297418034319367?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

Anyone have any tips on a place taking reservations for drinks on Saturday night 9pm ish. Obviously busiest time of the week. Haven't been out much recently and didn't realise how busy / under capacity towns can be. Trying to organise a special weekend away and now have a vision of us wandering the street unable to get in anywhere like 17 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Spent a week down in Killarney & I have to say I have never been so disappointed with the quality of food served up in the restaurants & pubs that we visited.

Really really average to poor food served up in nearly everywhere.

We used Tripadvisor for guidance on the better food places and even a lot of the top places that were open served up food lacking in quality.

I know some of the restaurants are not open but quite a few are which have good reviews.

Went to Dingle one day & got our best meal of the week.

Even spoke with a couple of locals and they asked where we ate etc. and they said themselves there is a real lack of quality food in Killarney.

Other than the poor food, we enjoyed our time down there, lots to do to keep busy.

Have to agree with that. The lack of choice in most places was also frustrating. Everywhere seemed to serve just chicken wings, a selection of burgers, pizza or other fried fayre.

We decided to have food in our hotel on our final night, Saturday. Was very disappointing to discover that they were actually running a semi-buffet with just 3 choices of mains despite hosting a much fuller menu on their website. €30 per person for lukewarm Thai green curry and a mini cheesecake was a bit rich.

In fairness, I did have a nice steak in the Park Hotel. The food in a place we stopped in Waterville was also fantastic.
    lenovo1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on a place taking reservations for drinks on Saturday night 9pm ish. Obviously busiest time of the week. Haven't been out much recently and didn't realise how busy / under capacity towns can be. Trying to organise a special weekend away and now have a vision of us wandering the street unable to get in anywhere like 17 year olds.

I was there from Wednesday until Sunday. The only bar I booked in advance for the weekend evenings was J M Reidy's, and they don't seem to have any slots free now until the end of July. Truth be told, the town really filled up from Friday onwards. A lot of bars had a walk-in only policy and queues outside from 5pm. We went looking for somewhere taking walk-ins for drinks on Saturday night, but gave up after 30 mins of walking around town. We settled for the hotel bar instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

From what I saw last weekend, the only place you will get is your hotel bar. Not a hope anywhere else.

Try to get to a place earlier if you can. They have to close at 11.30 anyway and most places I've been to have been last orders about 10.45/11.

I'm not sure you'd get a booking for that time as places will be mental busy anwyay but my only suggestion would be have a look at websites and social media, contact any place that takes your fancy and explain it's a special occasion and you could do with a booking. Might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What’s the Mexican place like to get a table ?

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s the Mexican place like to get a table ?

Last time we visited, August 2020, we couldn't get a table for 2 as they were booked up. Our own fault cos we hadn't planned on being in town and just chanced it.

Would recommend contacting them and asking are they still doing bookings

Last time we visited, August 2020, we couldn't get a table for 2 as they were booked up. Our own fault cos we hadn't planned on being in town and just chanced it.

Would recommend contacting them and asking are they still doing bookings

Casita Mexicana?

Casita Mexicana?

Yes.

• Heading to Killarney in 2 weeks for the weekend. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants to go too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Heading to Killarney in 2 weeks for the weekend. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants to go too?

Moved into the Killarney thread. Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Heading to Killarney in 2 weeks for the weekend. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants to go too?

I recommend going to whatever restaurant you can get a table in. That's not as straightforward as one might think. We got a table in Buckleys marquee on Saturday evening at about 5.30pm. Just walked in. We stayed there until about 10.00pm. Back to the residents bar in the hotel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The Lane in the Ross is lovely. The Mexican place mentioned above is supposed to be fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

Anyone got Vodafone 'efibre' to the home on the SIRO cables that are being fed into the house via the ESB Meter Box???

Am talking about inside Killarney town - within the Woodlawn area???

Am thinking of moving from EIR and dropping my landline and moving to VF who say I can get 1000mb (1GB) in speeds...!!

Any help on this ???

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Is there a shop near Killarney that retails beans, lentils, etc. in bulk packages, 2 or 5 kilos? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Any word about an official opening date for the new cinema? Sounds like sometime in July according to Omniplex

Any word about an official opening date for the new cinema? Sounds like sometime in July according to Omniplex

Where is the new cinema going ? The other one still open is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Where is the new cinema going ? The other one still open is it ?

Opposite McDonald's on Park Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the fun fair in Killarney open or closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Oh it's open. Lots of people in and about there the past few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

Any recommendations for someone to clean gutters?

Advertisement