Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,019 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some great pics of wild boar with piglets on social media today from the national park.

Turns out the park rangers shot them a few hours ago.

Disgraceful.

Theyd obviously lived there for a few years incident free

There is a wild boar on the loose so be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Hi all.

I will be visiting Killarney for the 1st time this week.

We have booked a few restaurants and pubs, but have nothing booked for the Friday or Saturday night as things stand. Is the town very busy at the moment? A lot of places seem to be doing walk-ins only. Has it been difficult to find a table since hospitality reopened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Was in town twice over weekend, different times of the day each time. Usual traffic hold ups are fully back. Park Road and Lewis Road roundabouts and their approach roads clogged up with cars stopping on the roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Equium wrote: »
    Hi all.

We have booked a few restaurants and pubs, but have nothing booked for the Friday or Saturday night as things stand. Is the town very busy at the moment? A lot of places seem to be doing walk-ins only. Has it been difficult to find a table since hospitality reopened?

Town is definitely busy, especially at the weekends.

I haven't tried to go anywhere in town the last few weeks/since the reopening but I was talking to someone last week who had to try a number of places the weekend before last before they got a table.

If you are staying in a hotel, maybe consider dining there one night?

Alternatively maybe try to avoid the centre of town at the peak times [there are a couple of places out the Muckross Road with bigger seating areas than the places inside town [Randles/The Brehon/ The Gleneagle/ The Killarney Oaks/ Lord Colgans (out by Muckorss Abbey)

Also be aware Kerry are playing Clare at 5pm on Saturday in Fitzgerald Stadium - only a very limited crowd are allowed in but it's only on Sky Sports so I would expect pubs/bars in town to be very busy during/after this. I could definitely see a bit of a post-match rush so might be an idea to get to a restaurant before this match is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Hello all! Looking for some advice about restaurants. I am between two places for my Saturday night meal in Killarney - Murphy brownes or the laurels pub. Would anyone have any thoughts regarding the food/ambience in either of these spots? Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Equium wrote: »
    Hi all.

I was in town this weekend just gone and it was impossible to find a place to eat after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone recommend a pub to watch the Kerry v Clare game on Saturday evening. It's only on Sky Sports. It's at 7.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is a wild boar on the loose so be careful

Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

finbarrk wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a pub to watch the Kerry v Clare game on Saturday evening. It's only on Sky Sports. It's at 7.00pm.

I know Scotts has a TV outdoors, as does Reidys. I'd expect both to be really busy, so you would need to be in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Everywhere will be rammed for the game. Ring around and try make a booking if you can, otherwise just get in early. Scott's, Reidys, Jimmy Briens have a small TV outside.

Would be pure pot luck for the day thats in it I'd say whether you get somewhere or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jimmy O'Briens is a great bar to watch a match, but will probably be full well in advance of the game. The K Town bar could be worth a shout, I'm not the biggest fan of the place but they will have more room and it's a bit off the beaten track (for Killarney), in that it's not on the main street so less likely to be wedged.

Jimmy O'Briens is a great bar to watch a match, but will probably be full well in advance of the game. The K Town bar could be worth a shout, I'm not the biggest fan of the place but they will have more room and it's a bit off the beaten track (for Killarney), in that it's not on the main street so less likely to be wedged.

Does KTown have outdoor screens?

dobman88 wrote: »
    Does KTown have outdoor screens?
    A friend of mine said they do, but I haven't actually been there myself to confirm

A friend of mine said they do, but I haven't actually been there myself to confirm

Haven't been myself either which is why I didnt mention it but would be an ideal spot if they have an outdoor screen. Plenty room down there too.

@Finbarr, Actually, im almost sure the Laurels have outdoor screens. But havent been there so ring them to check before hand

Ok, thanks for the suggestions folks. Being there early won't be a problem. It's the Sky Sports I'm wondering about.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions folks. Being there early won't be a problem. It's the Sky Sports I'm wondering about.

Every place has sky sports, you wont have to worry.

I called K Town. They are already booked out for Saturday evening. And they don't have outdoor TV screens she said.

I called K Town. They are already booked out for Saturday evening. And they don't have outdoor TV screens she said.
    Ah right, my bad :pac: I must inform my mate who told me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Do you need to book a table in to just have pints in a pub or are they walk in?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Do you need to book a table in to just have pints in a pub or are they walk in?

It differs for each place and time you go. I see Murphys on Instagram saying they're walk in only. Other places take bookings and depending on the time, you might need to book in advance.

If it was me and I was making plans a couple of days in advance, I'd ring to try and make a booking so I wasnt left disappointed.

• Advertisement

We were there last night. It was very busy everywhere. We watched the match in the hotel bar on ipads as they didn't have Sky Sports. We had an enjoyable evening there. Arbutus Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Spent a week down in Killarney & I have to say I have never been so disappointed with the quality of food served up in the restaurants & pubs that we visited.

Really really average to poor food served up in nearly everywhere.

We used Tripadvisor for guidance on the better food places and even a lot of the top places that were open served up food lacking in quality.

I know some of the restaurants are not open but quite a few are which have good reviews.

Went to Dingle one day & got our best meal of the week.

Even spoke with a couple of locals and they asked where we ate etc. and they said themselves there is a real lack of quality food in Killarney.

Other than the poor food, we enjoyed our time down there, lots to do to keep busy.

Spent a week down in Killarney & I have to say I have never been so disappointed with the quality of food served up in the restaurants & pubs that we visited.

Really really average to poor food served up in nearly everywhere.

We used Tripadvisor for guidance on the better food places and even a lot of the top places that were open served up food lacking in quality.

I know some of the restaurants are not open but quite a few are which have good reviews.

Even spoke with a couple of locals and they asked where we ate etc. and they said themselves there is a real lack of quality food in Killarney.

Other than the poor food, we enjoyed our time down there, lots to do to keep busy.

Been hearing this more and more from friends and family who still live there. Sister in her early 20s and her small group of friends loved eating out in Killarney, your stereotypical photos for the Instagram and cocktails young wans, and even they've said they have noticed things arent anywhere near as good as they were.

I told them at the start of reopening it might have been down to places trying to adjust to outdoor service, but they've had enough time to implement a plan now and get things right imo.

I hope you told each place about your concerns before you left as that is the only way they can/will improve. By getting feedback from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

dobman88 wrote: »
    Been hearing this more and more from friends and family who still live there. Sister in her early 20s and her small group of friends loved eating out in Killarney, your stereotypical photos for the Instagram and cocktails young wans, and even they've said they have noticed things arent anywhere near as good as they were.

I told them at the start of reopening it might have been down to places trying to adjust to outdoor service, but they've had enough time to implement a plan now and get things right imo.

I hope you told each place about your concerns before you left as that is the only way they can/will improve. By getting feedback from people.

To be honest, only one placed asked us how was our dinner - Cronins. The rest didn't even ask.

However, left some reviews on Tripadvisor for everywhere we ate.

I think due to the number of tourists they typically get, moreso in non Covid times, they can charge what they want & serve up what they want & people will pay for it & eat it.

I find a lot of Irish people don't understand what a good quality meal is, they have poor palates.

To be honest, only one placed asked us how was our dinner - Cronins. The rest didn't even ask.

Fair enough. I've only ever eaten in Cronins twice, despite living most of my life in Killarney, so that probably tells its own story.

But I would have mentioned it to staff or asked for a manager and tell them instead of posting on TA. I usually convey my concerns, give a place a 2nd chance and if its shìte twice, I'll leave the review and not return. That goes for any place I've ever visited anywhere.

Give them a chance to rectify it before reviewing it but I totally understand thats pretty much TA purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Where in Dingle? Heading there this weekend for a few nights away with mrs Listrydude so looking for ideas for food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

I think due to the number of tourists they typically get, moreso in non Covid times, they can charge what they want & serve up what they want & people will pay for it & eat it.

I find a lot of Irish people don't understand what a good quality meal is, they have poor palates.

Problem with Tripadvisor is bad reviews tend to be dismissed on it. One well know Killarney restaurant ower is very good at doing it. No prizes for guessing who that is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Anyone have any good outdoor dining recommendations? :)

Listrydude wrote: »
    Where in Dingle? Heading there this weekend for a few nights away with mrs Listrydude so looking for ideas for food
    I've eaten in a few different places in Dingle and have always found The Chart House and Random to be very good.

• Advertisement

Listrydude wrote: »

I'm not sure if either are open but whenever we go to Dingle we always eat in Murphys Bar (red building on the corner) and The Chart House. Both firm favourites of ours.

Advertisement