Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Launching e-sim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

about time. wonder what plans it will be limited to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

this is interesting !

Could I in theory get a Vodafone sub on the esim in my iPhone 12 Pro and keep the 3 sim (work) ?

Or will vodafone insist on the hardware being purchased from them to provide an esim

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

shanec1928 wrote: »

I don't see what it will have to do with plans and more to do with devices as e-sims will eventually replace sim cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

whippet wrote: »
    this is interesting !

Could I in theory get a Vodafone sub on the esim in my iPhone 12 Pro and keep the 3 sim (work) ?

Or will vodafone insist on the hardware being purchased from them to provide an esim

I think if you have an unlocked e-sim then you can go to any network you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's some details:
    Vodafone Ireland is also offering Irish consumer customers eSIMs on 25 (1) of its top devices from July 2nd, making it the first Irish operator to do so.

(...)

(1) Full list of devices available with eSIMs – iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 12 Mini, iPhone SE, iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS, XS Max, iPhone XR, Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G , Samsung Galaxy Note 20 FE 5G, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 FE, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Ultra 5G, Samsung Note 20+, Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+ and S20 Ultra, Google Pixel 5 , Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4, Huawei P40 Pro.

eSIMS are currently available to all RED Unlimited, Pay As You Go and Vodafone X customers, and will be rolled out to Business Customers on a phased basis

https://n.vodafone.ie/aboutus/press/vodafone-ireland-s-network-now-100--powered-by-electricity-from-.html

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see what it will have to do with plans and more to do with devices as e-sims will eventually replace sim cards.
    in other countries that have esim's they have tended to have it on certain plans only usually no payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Vodafone are launching e-sim in Ireland on July 2nd. Might be useful for those with the data vee we soon of the Apple Watch etc.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1230811/

Don't see any mention of Apple Watch yet:( Lets hope that happens also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Don't see any mention of Apple Watch yet:( Lets hope that happens also.

Does enabling the eSim on the Apple Watch happen as a result of doing so on your iPhone? Or it it a separate process?

But yeah, it is strange that it's not mentioned on the device list, given that it's a device that will drive a lot of interest in the technology. Maybe Vodafone/Apple need to start selling the cellular version here before they announce support for it.

Does enabling the eSim on the Apple Watch happen as a result of doing so on your iPhone? Or it it a separate process?

But yeah, it is strange that it's not mentioned on the device list, given that it's a device that will derive a lot of interest in the technology. Maybe Vodafone/Apple need to start selling the cellular version here before they announce support for it.
    It’s a separate sim on the Apple Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It'll be apple that announce cellular apple watches on sale in Ireland, not a cellular provider.

eSim support for Apple Watch is a little more complicated in that the network needs to support forwarding calls to an esim number that's tied to your primary number. Not all eSims have this functionality and many are often used just for data roaming.

Time will tell on this for better or for worse.

• Advertisement

It'll be apple that announce cellular apple watches on sale in Ireland, not a cellular provider.

eSim support for Apple Watch is a little more complicated in that the network needs to support forwarding calls to an esim number that's tied to your primary number. Not all eSims have this functionality and many are often used just for data roaming.

Just as a matter of interest, I bought a Series 6 cellular from Argos Letterkenny, 3 weeks ago so they are being sold in Ireland. :D Obviously I would be interested in the sim integration for the watch if the price wasn't too expensive :(

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, I bought a Series 6 cellular from Argos Letterkenny, 3 weeks ago so they are being sold in Ireland. :D Obviously I would be interested in the sim integration for the watch if the price wasn't too expensive :(

Key difference here is Argos is a UK company with centralised UK stock purchasing agreements. Same with Nike.ie they’ve sold cellular apple watches too. Same deal but I think their stock is German.

I guess my main point was Apple will be the first to make a song and dance about cellular apple watches and not Vodafone. Definitely a good step in the right direction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Key difference here is Argos is a UK company with centralised UK stock purchasing agreements. Same with Nike.ie they’ve sold cellular apple watches too. Same deal but I think their stock is German.

I guess my main point was Apple will be the first to make a song and dance about cellular apple watches and not Vodafone. Definitely a good step in the right direction though.

I agree that Apple will make the announcement, and they are probably holding it back until a September or October event for the new Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 askpt

For Portugal it was the operator that announced the Apple Watch cellular not Apple itself. I hope we finally get the cellular version of Apple Watch, specially it is so useful for running without carrying the phone everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

Anyone manage to move over to esim this morning? Getting nothing but errors from Vodafone.

Gwildor wrote: »
    Anyone manage to move over to esim this morning? Getting nothing but errors from Vodafone.
    likewise. errors different in the app than the website also.

I switched WiFi off and used the app to activate it again and it worked. Don’t know it that was the issue, but I’m up and running now.

Where are you signing up, not seeing anything on their website unless I'm completely blind?

Where are you signing up, not seeing anything on their website unless I'm completely blind?

You need to go into ‘My Vodafone’ and then ‘My SIM’

You need to go into ‘My Vodafone’ and then ‘My SIM’

Do I have to log in to My Vodafone? Is this an existing customer only thing? I'm super confused as to what Vodafone think an eSim is :confused:

• Advertisement

Do I have to log in to My Vodafone? Is this an existing customer only thing? I'm super confused as to what Vodafone think an eSim is :confused:

I don’t know about a new connection, sorry. I’m already with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Converted an existing pay as you go SIM to e-SIM as per https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117573939&postcount=49

If you are a new customer, choose your plan and start the check out.

Once you have indicated if you want to move your number or not you will be offered the choice of a "SIM card" or "eSIM".

Vodafone has a comprehensive help page too:
    https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/esim-support-faqs.html

But again, this is all only for mobiles (not devices like apple watch) listen here at the moment:
    https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/?genericInstruction=activate-esim

This has turned into a bit of a pain. Vodafone had to push the order through, now have the esim on the phone but can’t active it.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Just activated there, no issues.
    After scanning the QR code and entering the confirmation code I had to go back in via link and activate the esim.
    Had to move my gomo sim from slot 2 to slot 1. Activating esim switches off sim 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saz123x

Vodafone Ireland support chat confirmed to me today that the esim will support Apple Watch. Fingers crossed for cellular watches next month 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Not doubting your post and hopefully this comes to pass, as the owner of a cellular watch, I am looking forward to this finally arriving😀. Hopefully other networks will follow suit to give us hard pressed consumers more choice💶

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Giving how they were able to make the Neo Kids watch work (claim is built in Vodafone Smart SIM) I am sure they will be able to make an Apple Watch work.

Now if you can actually order anything on the vodafone website once it's out, is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Just had the misfortune of speaking to someone from vodafone on the phone - hadn't a clue about e-sim ... eventually called me back saying e-sims don't support phones and they are just for the Neo !

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Switched esim to a new phone with no problem using the vodafone app, I was expecting it to be a pain.

But yes, not as simple as moving a sim card😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 saz123x

I ended up buying an Apple Watch cellular after of this support chat. Unfortunately then to find it doesn’t actually work like they said it would in that chat. I then contacted them again and was told to buy a vsim and that would definitely work with my Apple Watch. After the incorrect information being given the first time I decided to research before committing to it and discovered this is actually a physical sim so would definitely not work with the Apple Watch. Seems like Vodafone customer support doesn’t know much about esims yet and is throwing out wrong advise to consumers. Very annoying.

Advertisement