Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone Launching e-sim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Giving how Vodafone ran into significant issues with Standard eSIM and shortly after launch had to withdraw the service I would not expect to see them rolling out companion eSIM any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Given the rumours that the next iPhone might only support an eSIM, I would think that all of the networks here are working on a solution to be in place for next October at the latest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

Vodafone have an eSIM provisioning platform in place, it's just no-one seems to know how exactly the process is meant to work. Supposedly you now need to get the eSIM activated in a store except the majority of stores don't seem to have any idea what an eSIM is, never mind how to activate one.

Three also have an eSIM provisioning platform in place as the ESB Networks smart meters use eSIMs as opposed to physical SIMs with Three having won the tender to provide the connectivity and telemetry data path for the rollout. Three have just so far chosen not to offer eSIMs generally. Not sure they will anytime soon either, since they've a full IMS core in place yet have chosen not to make VoLTE or WiFi Calling available either, leaving them the only Irish network operator not to have those features available.

Eir, I don't know where they're at with eSIMs. Given how ahead of the curve by being first to market when it comes to introducing other technologies like VoLTE, WiFi Calling and 5G, I suspect they've a platform in place as well, just they haven't made general use of it yet. eSIMs might be seen as a commercial threat as it significantly eases the effort and speed of chopping and changing operators, and also opens up a significant dual SIM opportunity which isn't necessarily good for the operators bottom line. The other side of it is Eir's billing systems are an absolute mess, trying to add eSIM functionality into it might require a lot of backend work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maclaois

@KildareP Have you any idea any Vodafone store in Leinster that might have a clue how to do it?

Had VF eSIM working perfectly on IPhone SE (used one number for work, one personal on same phone),

Upgraded to IPhone 12, now I cant seem to get it working, had to go back to 2 Phones,

Customer Care tell me to go to shop, shop says they have no idea, talk to customer care.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have it on my phone months , you go into your online account and provision it . Eazy Peazy ...

Log into your account , on account homepage scroll to the end where you will find "Device & SIM" section , select this and you will be given the option of Esim QR code ... Hey Presto ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Head into a shop and ask them to look up your account and they will have the QR code on their screen - I couldn’t reactivate mine recently and I happens to be passing a shop and mentioned it. Your man was puzzled and I was looking over his shoulder and I just said “that’s what I need” and scanned it… problem solved

Well neither Newbridge nor Monread in Kildare or Liffey Valley had any idea what I was on about anyway, I haven't tried any other stores recently but have tried The Square (Tallaght) and Dundrum in the past also. I've seen quite a lot of reports on social media of others running into the same issue of being told to go to a store and the store not having a clue what they were on about.

I'm making other arrangements not to have to rely on Vodafone at all as they're diabolical.

Post edited by KildareP on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maclaois

Thanks @sharkman i just get an error comes up

"Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again."

Thanks @Pete123456, tried this yesterday but VF system in store wouldn't show it.

Thanks @KildareP, I have tried nearly all networks at this stage, VF is probably the best for me in terms of signal. Never really had technical or customer service issues with VF but have had with others

Im trying to build up the will to tackle customer services again....!🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

Having similar problems. The website has a blank square where the QR code should and a “something went wrong”. Also went to the store on Grafton Street, where the guy told me that the provisioning system was down, but also told not to bother with eSIM as you “cannot use outside Ireland”. Why do they say this nonsense??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

it seems like a really cumbersome process. I needed a new sim / new account before xmas and was isolating with covid. I ported over to VF but of course the SIM didn't arrive - so had no signal. I called CS and asked for an e-sim I could activate and it was like I was asking for moon dust.

After hours of battling - eventually they told me to send a friend to the local VF store - who took a photo of the QR code and could WhatsApp the photo to me with the code.

Bonkers stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Vodafone appear to be a solid cellular provider regarding being able to get their signal, but their backend IT for web orders especially around iPhone upgrade time, cancelling insurance (had a nightmare cancelling Vodafone Care Insurance) and now the stories with e-SIM are diabolical. The Apple Watch Cellular functionality is on their “roadmap” for this year so lets see them make a hames of this too! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3 antboreds

Has anyone had any luck getting their apple watch to work with Vodafone's e-sim?

I ordered the Samsung watch4 and would like the option of trying it out as a phone replacement (not looking for advice on the logistics of this)

Officially, Vodafone don't support wearables. But if I could use the samsung wearables app on my phone to scan the qr code in the Vodafone store, I wonder would it automatically provision the required internet settings to allow the watch to work with 4G. Or is it a case that it won't even connect to the network, nevermind support data?

Anyone with a bit of inside knowledge on this topic?

I can’t imagine it’ll work. I’ve been told that the cellular functionality for Apple Watch is on Vodafone’s roadmap for this year. Read into that what you will. If it does happen I imagine it’ll be later this year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting an eSim. I was in my local Vodafone shop over the weekend looking to switch to eSim. I was pretty shocked when the member of staff told me that Vodafone have basically screwed up their implementation of eSim, and apparently many customers have actually lost their numbers when trying to transfer accounts to eSim. They strongly advised me NOT to get an eSim (which in my case is a bit late as I had foolishly bought a new phone assuming that 5 year old tech would be easily supported). What is interesting is that just a few weeks ago over the phone the same shop told me that there would be no trouble getting an eSim, so this is obviously a very recent change in affairs.

This is a major cockup on Vodafone's part, on the kind of scale that heads should roll. The staff member was unable to even give me a timeline as to when they might start supporting eSims, as right now "it's a complete mess" apparently.

The rest of the world have been happily using eSims for a few years now, but apparently tech leader Ireland can't manage this at all. I'm fuming as I need 2 sims, and was relying on this.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Have you tried a different browser ? I get error on Firefox but not chrome .

Doesn’t bode well for the supposed roll out of cellular support for Apple Watch this year. Can they not learn from Vodafone in the UK which is the group they are apart of regarding implementation of eSIM functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

Yeah, it was pretty shocking to hear a frontline member of staff being so up front about their incompetence. You're right that it doesn't bode well for future tech challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I've been using an esim since porting over to Vodafone since december without problem - what are the issues they are having ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Tech_Head

Got the same today. Told eSIM activations weren’t available as some customers only had either just phone or just data moves over. They had no clue when or if it would be fixed. I ported for eSIM today. Also can’t even register for a Vodafone account to check my details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I know its really a different company in the UK, but here's hoping that 3Ireland will eventually get around to supporting the  Watch Cellular here in Ireland. 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Updates for this thread after nothing but disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dsagra

it looks like Vodafone esim activation is now available again on their website and Android/Ios app? Has anyone checked everything works as expected or do we still need to go to a shop in order to get one activated?

Thank you

I hadn’t realised it was available. Have just set it up now at home and working fine. You need another device to display the QR code (either log in or take a pic).

Don’t forget to go back to the app and click Activate SIM. All in all it took less than 5min

Tried to order a pay as you go SIM as a test and it was error central. What a piss poor excuse for a communications company. They are worse than Eir.

Might be two different issues. It took me almost 4 weeks to get my account created once imported over from 3. Once everything was in order, the eSIM part worked well for me. Still using it as I type this.

Anybody recently attempted to get an eSIM online for a new PAYG phone number?

How long did it take after the order e-mail for the eSIM to show up in the portal?

Well typical vodafone, if it does not work on first attempt, try again and voila within 45 seconds my eSIM was ready.

Glad to hear it. I didn’t port recently so didn’t comment but the process was quick when I did it and has been working flawlessly since. Have done major SW updates on the phone and the e-sim always worked as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Just as an FYI I was in Boston earlier this week and picked up an iPhone 14 Pro Max as the saving is about $500 off Irish prices. Had to bring it into a Vodafone store this morning to sort the e-sim and left 10 minutes later all sorted.

Advertisement