Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Usir wrote: »
    Why do people still line up to buy houses there? It baffles me

Because we cant wait the 10-15 years between busts, and when theres a bust our income drops further than the cost of a house. And in the time you'd be waiting you'd have it half paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A development there is unlikely to yield any housing for 4-5 years, even if they decide imminently . Demolition and remediation could take up to 2 years alone, given the risks of potential hydrocarbon contamination of the soil and the widespread use of asbestos insulation.

And that's all without getting into potential planning delays with people campaigning for the retention of the brickwork structures.

A decent architect could make a the existing building shine - it doesn't look amazing now though -
    On the timelines a lot would depend on will -
    If the remediation was to be done at the same time as the planning a construction timed with Goulding's move then it could progress relatively quickly
    but if the powers that be wait for gouldings to move - before starting a design and planning process before then starting the remediation it could be decades -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Markcheese wrote: »
    A decent architect could make a the existing building shine - it doesn't look amazing now though -
    On the timelines a lot would depend on will -
    If the remediation was to be done at the same time as the planning a construction timed with Goulding's move then it could progress relatively quickly
    but if the powers that be wait for gouldings to move - before starting a design and planning process before then starting the remediation it could be decades -

I assume the existing building will be knocked?

Anyone know about updates for the LDA project at St Kevins?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Plus the traffic nightmare on top-Douglas would not be a place I'd want to rent/buy in

I grew up nearby and I remember it being choked with traffic even back in the late 70s/early 80s before the N25/N40 overpass was built. There was a really bad road junction near where the eastern flyover is now. It's a shame because it had some potential, especially the two "main" streets and near the churches, but bad planning has allowed it to turn into a concrete jungle.

• Advertisement

The Lancaster Quay Apartments resumes construction on July 6th. While they have a number of construction affordability advantages over pretty much every other major city centre apartment scheme, this is still great news after what happened at Albert Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A choices consultation has been launched for Cork BusConnects at the following https://busconnects.ie/busconnects-cork/

Make sure you have your say!!

An initial round of public consultation for the Cork Bus Network Redesign has commenced, forming part of BusConnects Cork. This initial round of public consultation is on a “Choices Report” (which can be downloaded below), seeking feedback from the public on certain choices about the future Cork bus network. The Choices Report is about initial decisions that need to be made in redesigning the bus network. It is not setting out a revised bus network design – that will be developed at a later stage.

The consultation period will run from Thursday 1st July to Wednesday 21st July. This consultation is taking place online, allowing the public to provide their opinion on certain choices about the future Cork bus network, click on the “Online Consultation” button below to begin. The responses to this initial consultation will then inform the design process for a draft new bus network which will be published during October 2021. This draft network will then be subject to a more detailed round of public consultation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So the council in their wisdom are planning to run a new dual carriageway through the middle of one of their biggest successes in recent years. Hands up I was previously a fan of this new bridge that this plan is supporting but now I'm questioning the whole thing. It's less roads and induced demand we need, not more.

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/consultation/monahan-road-extension-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Err correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me to be the same that is there now but adding an additional bus lane either direction and widening the footpath to 3m?

• Advertisement

It's a new road for 400 metres to meet the point where the Eastern Gateway Bridge will be. I suppose on some level it is a dual carriageway but in reality it will be less than half a km of new road with two lanes for cars, two dedicated for buses, a tree lined separation and it'll be flanked by cycle and pedestrian lanes. Its not really what comes to mind when one thinks of a dual carriageway.

I can understand the concern about a new road but I don't see how the Docklands can be developed without the Eastern Gateway Bridge and it including the ability for cars to cross it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah that's not a dual carraigeway. It's a normal road, one car lane either direction, trees in the median, probably gonna be a 30kmh, with a bus lane on either side

A road going both directions separated by a central median, I'm not sure what else you would call it. In any sense it's 4 new motor vehicle lanes being built across a stream and active travel route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The bus lane can hardly be described as "dedicated" when they will also be used by left turning traffic. When/if the road makes it to the other side, there would be three left turns northbound on about 1km of bus lane. Not sure what buses would use those lanes either, local buses are unlikely to travel across the river there given the lack of bus lanes on the northern side of the river, regional and intercity buses would likely continue on the N8.

Regardlessof how it is configured, having such a wide road right practically up against the new park and stadium is going to undermine the attractiveness of them. If a new bridge is needed, surely any point further west would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's just a regular road, with a QBC (quality bus corridor).

Dual carraigeways mean 4 car lanes

I don't think there's any requirement for 4 lanes, just a solid barrier separating the driving directions. In any case it's a backwards step IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It's Centre Park Road that needs managing. Having been down there on Saturday, I'd say 1 in 3 vehicles were speeding. One Volvo SUV, I clocked at 67 Kph in a 50 zone. And that's the stretch by the market with people crossing the road back and forth. It's the Blackrock/Marina-headed traffic because the cycle lane is closed off to the side so they can speed to their heart's content.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's an urban dual carriageway, we don't have too many in Cork but there are plenty of these in other parts of the country. 1 general traffic lane, 1 bus lane and walkway/cycleway in either direction. The "median" is about a couple of feet wide of greenery in this case. Speed limit is 50km/h. If it was 1 lane in either direction there would be complaints about lack of bus priority.

The usual suspects are out and you'd swear to god the N40 was being built across the Marina. The only reason it's flying over the Marina is for gradient purposes for crossing the river and meeting the road at the other side. It's also at the very start of the Marina where car traffic is still permitted.

These access routes are needed for the Docklands development, they are reasonably balanced between motor traffic and active travel. They will also allow traffic to bypass the city centre for accessing Blackrock etc, and this road will skirt the southern end of the Docklands rather than going through the middle.

Who are the usual suspects? Can you not argue the point instead of resorting to ad hominems?

I think one lane in each direction would be perfect, and there would be no complaints of lack of bus priority if they were bus only. The docklands are well serviced by private vehicle lanes, what's missing is a quality bus corridor and active travel provision. The council should be discouraging private car use, this plan is centered around them.

While the new cycle lanes are great I wouldn't describe them as quality, they're narrow and are potentially dangerous at junctions, and the new plans look to be more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

There's no chance I'd use those cycle lanes.

I cycle there a bit at the moment with my child, and this design would discourage me from cycling the road. So in that respect, it's a pretty classic "we gave them a lane to PFO, what are they cribbing out" design.

If you were doing this in (for instance) the Netherlands, you'd design the active transport corridor as a dedicated route. You wouldn't tag on a crappy side lane to each side of what is effectively a dual carriageway. If they want to facilitate high volumes of cars down the marina that's fine, but let's stop pretending that active transport is being facilitated in any meaningful way by this type of design.

And let's stop pretending to ourselves that this would provide a high quality bus corridor while we're at it. Simple thought exercise: why is a dedicated bus lane needed each way? Presumably because of the traffic. What traffic? The traffic that will be encouraged through the marina from the Lower Glanmire Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You're spot on Marno, there are plenty of these in other parts of the country. But there's likely not one example where an enviable modal share can be referenced. I'm open to any evidence you might have to refute that. This type of road is not very desirable for active travel.

You're also spot on when you say that it's reasonably balanced between motor traffic and active travel. But you of all people know that it's supposed to be skewed away from private cars and towards sustainable transport. Why would I choose to cycle this road or get the bus? It'll be FAR more convenient for me to drive it. If they can't tempt me (I drive and cycle) to cycle a short trip rather than drive it, then the design is failing.

I fully understand that people want to open up the marina to development and am in favour of it. I'm also in favour of a road upgrade, and I'm in favour of allowing private cars to access the docklands and marina. But the primary motor transport artery should be separate from the active transport artery. Mashing the two together like this is a waste of time. There's an easy fix available: segregate the two routes.

I don't know if that's considering me to be a "usual suspect" or whatever, but I'm not being emotional or knee jerk about this. If we want to encourage modal shift, the idea of "everyone gets an equal priority" in the city centre doesn't work. Walking or getting on a bike takes a little bit of effort, it's a little bit slower, it's a little bit more exposed to the elements, it can feel a little bit less safe. This design in no way counteracts any of that. It's just a little bit more road beside the road, and you'll lose priority or increase complexity at every junction.

They really need to sit down and design the future transport network in the area, rather than little 200m sections like this with the "bus lane" and "cycle lane" tagged onto the road. All just IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Already on my blacklist for knocking a listed frontage and not getting slapped down over it. Makes a mockery of the so-called Victorian Quarter spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The only acceptable resolution to this would be to make them reinstate the original facade or face closure.

Hearing that Moores Hotel and the Coca Cola site student accom are both set to start soon. By Sept/Oct there will probably be the most construction sites active in the city since the Celtic Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

What on earth is going on with the Prism? Still on hold? Don't think there's been activity on the site since last March when everything shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

2 tower cranes gone up on the square deal site also blackpool may have 3 sites under construction soon.

Now, however, it appears poised for a far more significant jobs boost, with the company expected to announce its further plans for Cork around September. Logitech is to relocate to a new 46,000sq ft standalone office building at suburban Mahon, at a new development called City Gate Plaza.

The building is expected to be completed by Summer 2022 by developers the JCD Group who previously

completed the City Gate and City Gate Park developments, totalling over 400,000sq ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mahon needs some serious investment in transport. More offices is going to attract more and more traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Won't lie, Mahon being on the Greenway for me is quite attractive, I may even through in a CV to Logitech!

Advertisement