Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underage soccer clubs that welcome all abilities

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Motivator wrote: »
    Lots of “I’s” in my post because I was talking about myself. The only thing this thread has shown is that there are an awful lot of bitter people who’s kids are sitting on their arses every Saturday morning or who were in the same position themselves when they were younger.

Moaning about the set up of a current club does nothing, either put the child in a weaker team or a different club or encourage them to work harder at their game. Cronyism doesn’t win teams matches so that’s nonsense talk. In my experience for competitive matches, players are picked on ability and not who their dad is. If a player is crap, no matter what age he is, he’s not going to play. Expecting a coach to play a young lad that is useless isn’t doing anyone any favours.

Just to clarify things I'm not bitter at all. I just put forward a few points that I happened to notice whilst standing on the sidelines. And your use of the words crap and useless about a young fella at a club is less than inspiring. Is essence you have proved my points by the tone of your replies. Then again your username {Motivator} tells me everything I need to know about your attitude : only winners need apply for my team. Just remember children are not machines and some need to be nurtured and treated with kid gloves in order for them to develop. TBH I would rather a child be allowed play ball with a crap, useless team filled with weaker kids where there all could at least play and enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

There’s a reason there are competitive games from u11 upwards. There are leagues and cups there to be won, all the years up to the first competitive game for a young player are about enjoyment and learning the game. Once the first competitive game kicks off then it’s a win mentality that the young lads are taught. And rightly so, coaching kids at 11, 12 or 13 and telling them that winning isn’t the main aim is just not something that happens. Yeah, kids are encouraged to go and enjoy themselves but they’re expected to win.

Like everything you're saying is flying in the face of what seems to be successful internationally https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-30926589.html and also a lot more enjoyable way to play the game at underage.

Just to clarify things I'm not bitter at all. I just put forward a few points that I happened to notice whilst standing on the sidelines. And your use of the words crap and useless about a young fella at a club is less than inspiring. Is essence you have proved my points by the tone of your replies. Then again your username {Motivator} tells me everything I need to know about your attitude : only winners need apply for my team. Just remember children are not machines and some need to be nurtured and treated with kid gloves in order for them to develop. TBH I would rather a child be allowed play ball with a crap, useless team filled with weaker kids where there all could at least play and enjoy the game.

The problem isnt even weaker kids - its weaker kids at that time from a coaches persprective, plenty of kids are all over the place at that age and many are late bloomers as well, ignore the Kevin De Bruynes etc. and look closer to home with the Roy Keanes and Seamus Colemans. If all underage players are concerned with is winning they'll never take the risks and never develop the technical side of their game. They'll learn how to run hard and put in effort but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I fully agree kids need to be nurtured, like I said it took two years of development for my lads to learn how to be competitive. I started coaching them when they were u12 so I had lads that were 10 and 11 and I stopped coaching that group when they came out of u14. I had some of the younger lads in the group when they stayed u14. When we won something the parents especially said they were delighted they had something to show for all the driving to and from training and matches over the previous couple of years. There’s pride in winning something and it gives young lads a great sense of achievement and makes them feel a bit special. They go into school after playing against friends or classmates and they talk about the games. Sport matters to people and so does winning.

Anything before u11 competitive games kick in, absolutely the games should be about fun and inclusion and they are. But it’s important to know that those years are what gives coaches and clubs the base to work from when things get serious. Kids are competitive and they want to win, anyone says any different is talking nonsense. Yeah there needs to be enjoyment in playing but tell me where the enjoyment is in getting beaten every week? Losing drains every bit of fun out of a game, a team and a player and a team or club that is happy to lose games is a team or a club that eventually won’t have any players. If a child is unhappy about not playing at u12 or u13 then I think they need to go and play for a weaker team immediately.

I fully agree kids need to be nurtured, like I said it took two years of development for my lads to learn how to be competitive. I started coaching them when they were u12 so I had lads that were 10 and 11 and I stopped coaching that group when they came out of u14. I had some of the younger lads in the group when they stayed u14. When we won something the parents especially said they were delighted they had something to show for all the driving to and from training and matches over the previous couple of years. There’s pride in winning something and it gives young lads a great sense of achievement and makes them feel a bit special. They go into school after playing against friends or classmates and they talk about the games. Sport matters to people and so does winning.

Anything before u11 competitive games kick in, absolutely the games should be about fun and inclusion and they are. But it’s important to know that those years are what gives coaches and clubs the base to work from when things get serious. Kids are competitive and they want to win, anyone says any different is talking nonsense. Yeah there needs to be enjoyment in playing but tell me where the enjoyment is in getting beaten every week? Losing drains every bit of fun out of a game, a team and a player and a team or club that is happy to lose games is a team or a club that eventually won’t have any players. If a child is unhappy about not playing at u12 or u13 then I think they need to go and play for a weaker team immediately.

I feel like you either didn't read the article or just completely ignored the points that Van Der Haegan made or how they restructured Beligan football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anything before u11 competitive games kick in, absolutely the games should be about fun and inclusion and they are.

U11 is not competitive.
    The results are not recorded , and no league points awarded.

U12 is when results and scores are recorded.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Any update on the lad ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭ec18

greenspurs wrote: »
    Any update on the lad ?

Called up by Stephen Kenny

ec18 wrote: »
    Called up by Stephen Kenny

i hope hes not a sub !

:P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

greenspurs wrote: »
    Any update on the lad ?

Still attending training and games and has been give some game minutes!

Final update on situation: Nephew was at training last night and a relative asked one of the trainers is it worth paying the €120 for the year for training etc and was told he would be joining in during training sessions but he would never be picked for a league game etc!

I know my nephew is not up to any standard acceptable and though he loves football it is best he try something else more suited

"I know my nephew is not up to any standard acceptable and though he loves football it is best he try something else more suited"

So, were we all wasting our time commenting, if the lad really has 2 left feet? Cant run/kick/head with the ball?

If you knew that all along, why come on here giving out about a teams management ?????

Will he change clubs or give up ??

Wasn't giving out at all and I mentioned from the outset that he is a below average game, I was asking for opinions and feedback - this is a forum website

He loves football but I guess it is not for him so I expect him to stop going or else he will become a fingerpoint

Sorry if I wasted your time!

Advertisement