Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TetrisLover

C14N wrote: »
    I agree, although dealbreakers are not always the same for everyone. My personal deal-breakers are largely based on location and condition of the property. I really, really, don't want a huge commute, so being close to work (or potential future jobs) and public transport is highly important. At the same time we have a few "black spot" areas we don't want to be in. Also don't want a house that is very old and needs a lot of work.

I think they're very reasonable deal-breakers. I think location and decent structurer survey are two most important factors you should consider when purchasing. You can always fix up the house over time and do what you like with it but if you decide that you're not happy with where you are, then you're stuck.

I think a lot of ye should pretty much disregard the condition of the house. Buy the biggest sh/thole you can find. So long as it's not structural, you're laughing. I see loads of people getting put off houses because the ceiling has collapsed due to a leaking shower or there's mould all over the place.

That stuff is an easy fix and more often than not the house will sell generally for less than the cost of repairs.

Obviously if there's a structural issue, then that's a different story altogether, but being able to look beyond the house being "ugly" or "rough" is not a bad thing at all. Definitely make sure you're happy with the area/neighbourhood, though.

(of course, there are examples of houses in dire need of work selling for the same amount as 'ready to live in' ones, but i mean as a general rule of thumb, if there's a discount to be had because the house is in tatters, it can be worthwhile).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I think they're very reasonable deal-breakers. I think location and decent structurer survey are two most important factors you should consider when purchasing. You can always fix up the house over time and do what you like with it but if you decide that you're not happy with where you are, then you're stuck.

The commute is just a big one for me in particular. Used to live in a place where I was driving 45-60m each way to get to work. The end result is almost no time in the day when you get home to do anything else. I've also seen plenty of studies about the negative effects driving and being in traffic for long periods has on mental health and stress levels. I ended up moving to an apartment that was about €400 more expensive, but where I could walk to work and never regretted it. Imo, life is too short to be spending a huge amount of it sitting in a car every day, and the savings in depreciation and fuel costs make the cost gap narrower than it seems at first.
    I think a lot of ye should pretty much disregard the condition of the house. Buy the biggest sh/thole you can find. So long as it's not structural, you're laughing. I see loads of people getting put off houses because the ceiling has collapsed due to a leaking shower or there's mould all over the place.

That stuff is an easy fix and more often than not the house will sell generally for less than the cost of repairs.

Obviously if there's a structural issue, then that's a different story altogether, but being able to look beyond the house being "ugly" or "rough" is not a bad thing at all. Definitely make sure you're happy with the area/neighbourhood, though.

The thing is that the mortgage we have only covers the cost of the property, so any improvements would have to come straight out-of-pocket and there won't be much left in savings after buying the place. You can get mortgages that allow extra money for rennovations, and if we had one I'd be happy enough to consider it at the right price (the main asset after all, is the land the house sits on), but right now we're just not really in a position to do so, and not keen to have to be paying both rent and mortgage for several months while work is done.

If we knew we had somewhere in the range of 50-100k extra to play with to do up a cheaper, older house, then it would be a great option though. With that kind of money you can easily do a lot to improve the heating, convert an attic for extra space, put in a new kitchen, re-do flooring etc. I kind of regret not getting the details on that when were applying for the mortgage in the first place, but was leaning strongly towards a potential new build at the time so didn't really think much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Thargor wrote: »
    I knew it was coming after inquiring about a similar property with the same agent, then I got strung along with 3 months of being told it would definitely be on Daft this week/this Friday/tomorrow etc etc then today I'm told it was sold to family, I'm still raging.

Now I'm in the same position as the lady in the other thread, 175k sitting in an AIB account and another chunk in the post office, no clue what to do with it as it gets eaten by inflation.

We had a similar situation with a house that went on daft but when we rang we were told sellers were selling privately to a neighbour. Once lockdown ended it went sale agreed on daft. It came back up a couple of weeks ago and we found out the original sale had fallen through as the buyers couldn’t close in a timely manner. We went sale agreed on it a week later.

With private sales things often fall through. The sellers wanted a quick sale and thought selling to a neighbour would guarantee that. But the neighbour had to sell a place first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had a weird phone call with an estate agent a couple of days ago.

Really dismayed by the above happening over and over, I thought I'd give it a go myself. Rang up and offered 25k over asking before any of the viewings took place on a house we really liked.

Was told by the EA 'no no, don't offer that much, that's silly! wait until you view this week and if you really like it, offer the asking price. You have to leave yourself some wiggle room'.

The call ended and I sat there with the phone in my hand beyond confused!

You may have just met the world's first moral driven EA, maybe they took a shine to you and have ear-marked you for the purchase at asking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

(of course, there are examples of houses in dire need of work selling for the same amount as 'ready to live in' ones, but i mean as a general rule of thumb, if there's a discount to be had because the house is in tatters, it can be worthwhile).

I don't think this is generally true. More often a house doesn't appreciate in value by as much as was spent in renovations or extensions. The only real exception is when an extra bedroom is added. If two houses were in poor condition and worth 350k, if one had 100k put into it to extend and renovate it wouldn't be worth 450k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

You may have just met the world's first moral driven EA, maybe they took a shine to you and have ear-marked you for the purchase at asking!

Most of the houses I looked at went for 30k over.

Your 25k might put off a lot of potential bidders from the get go.
    The EA might want to keep people in the race.
    Also their seller might get a bit itchy and take the first high bid they see, typically these "blow them out of the water bids" have a time constraint.

Plus if you had waited until the bidding has started then the EA is obliged to reveal your bid to the seller. Before bidding starts, then I don't think they have to.

Maybe it might be a slow week and the EA wants to look busy around the office, I dunno would it look good if they flipped a house quickly without letting everyone pitch in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That's specifically the type of house we're after but there is just so little out there at the minute.

At a viewing yesterday and the estate agent told us the last house we viewed with him went for 105k over asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Treppen wrote: »
    Most of the houses I looked at went for 30k over.

Your 25k might put off a lot of potential bidders from the get go.
    The EA might want to keep people in the race.
    Also their seller might get a bit itchy and take the first high bid they see, typically these "blow them out of the water bids" have a time constraint.

Plus if you had waited until the bidding has started then the EA is obliged to reveal your bid to the seller. Before bidding starts, then I don't think they have to.

Maybe it might be a slow week and the EA wants to look busy around the office, I dunno would it look good if they flipped a house quickly without letting everyone pitch in.

All the agent wants is for it to be sold at a price that the seller is happy with. Agents don’t have much interest in getting the price higher, other than the hope it entices more people to sell. Agents would prefer a quick sale rather than pushing to get 10k extra which is only 100 or so extra commission for the agent’s firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

This has most likely been asked before but I can't find it...

So, I'm buying a new built. It's estimated to be completed in February, went by the house today and saw the house I'm purchasing got the windows and roof in plus plastered all around on the outside waiting for the bricks to go in.. Now I'm in a bit of a situation, my letter of offer expires in December. They have estimated it to be finished after that (February), looking at it, it looks the house will be completed waaaaaaaay earlier. Is there any chance to drawdown before that or am I able to renew my letter of offer before it expires as my AIP originally was set to expire November this year? Reason I ask is that I have a very lucrative offer from a company to join them and I've declined them for mortgage reasons and I'm getting 2nd thoughts (Their offer is 2x my salary in yearly bonuses with other benefits).

NOTE, I have a 6 month period of "mortgage holiday", am I able to tell my solicitor to ask the builder to withdraw a cert of completion in December even though the roads aren't paved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Alwandy wrote: »
    This has most likely been asked before but I can't find it...

So, I'm buying a new built. It's estimated to be completed in February, went by the house today and saw the house I'm purchasing got the windows and roof in plus plastered all around on the outside waiting for the bricks to go in.. Now I'm in a bit of a situation, my letter of offer expires in December. They have estimated it to be finished after that (February), looking at it, it looks the house will be completed waaaaaaaay earlier. Is there any chance to drawdown before that or am I able to renew my letter of offer before it expires as my AIP originally was set to expire November this year? Reason I ask is that I have a very lucrative offer from a company to join them and I've declined them for mortgage reasons and I'm getting 2nd thoughts (Their offer is 2x my salary in yearly bonuses with other benefits).

NOTE, I have a 6 month period of "mortgage holiday", am I able to tell my solicitor to ask the builder to withdraw a cert of completion in December even though the roads aren't paved?

you're better off waiting and not rushing the builder to be early. If you close and there's issues with the estate/house it's a nightmare getting them back after the moneys been sent

• Registered Users Posts: 34,514 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One can dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Anyone know what would be a reasonable time frame to expect to receive a closing date on a sale, place I'm buying, signed contracts received by solicitor a week and a half ago and he said he was reaching out to vendor then for closing date, I told him I'm good to go so whenever suits the vendor will suit me (house is vacant so no chain involved), a week and a half later still not date, was I niave to think I'd have a date the next day after solicitor reached out to the other side. Been in contact with my solicitor twice who just said he's heard nothing yet.

It can just be rational self-interest. If I'm an EA in this situation, my main concern is getting the deal closed. If someone calls me up on the phone that I don't know and and offers 30k over asking without even looking at the place, I might be a bit suspicious about how serious they are. Maybe they're just messing around, or maybe they're doing this with 5 other houses the same morning, or maybe once they actually come and see it they say "oh well actually, X, Y, and Z aren't in great shape so I'm going to revise my offer down".

Meanwhile, the "highest bid" has now been suddenly pushed up by 30k, which will probably put-off several other prospective buyers who were possibly more serious and planning to come and look at it the next day. Deals fall through, so you'd rather have those people as backups if they do, rather than drive them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Please help me with good options to buy a 3 bed house or 2 Bed apartment in Dublin. 350 -380K. PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

brianc27 wrote: »
    Anyone know what would be a reasonable time frame to expect to receive a closing date on a sale, place I'm buying, signed contracts received by solicitor a week and a half ago and he said he was reaching out to vendor then for closing date, I told him I'm good to go so whenever suits the vendor will suit me (house is vacant so no chain involved), a week and a half later still not date, was I niave to think I'd have a date the next day after solicitor reached out to the other side. Been in contact with my solicitor twice who just said he's heard nothing yet.

Has the house been cleared out I wonder?
    When did you go sale agreed?
    Surely a rough timeframe should be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Please help me with a good development in Dublin or surrounding areas for 3 Bed house or 2 bed apartment/Duplex. 350 to 380 K. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    Please help me with a good development in Dublin or surrounding areas for 3 Bed house or 2 bed apartment/Duplex. 350 to 380 K. TIA

Not sure this is the place for that question. Too many variables. if you are going to buy a place to live, you'll need more than the opinion of a stranger on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Balluba

I have lost out on a few houses recently that went way over the asking price.

Is it advisable not to be the first one to put on an offer?
    Is offering the asking price only shoving up the price on yourself?
    I’d appreciate any advice about strategy for putting on offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Balluba wrote: »

Depending on the EA, honesty is the best policy. At the viewing for the house I've bought and recently moved into, I was brutally honest with the EA. Told her I was sick of being outbid, just wanted to get my foot on the property ladder and was finding it very difficult. She told me the vendor would accept the asking price if I went straight in, no underbidding etc. I told her on the way out to place my bid at asking price and I was sale agreed 20 minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

I don't think any strategy will help all you can do is set your maximum price and walk if you don't get it.

Jjohnrockk wrote: »

This isn't really the place for this. Finding a place to buy is a huge task, people are generally not going to be inclined to do it for someone else they don't know out of the goodness of their hearts.

My advice is to check out Daft and MyHome. You can search in Dublin and filter by price or by more specific locations. Your best bet is to set up email alerts so you see properties quickly when they come up, as most get all their viewings booked within a few days of going up.

Depends on the place and the level of interest. A lot of the ones I've been looking at, I think I'd be tremendously lucky to get at asking price, never mind at less. So I don't think there's any harm in bidding first at asking price, because it'll end up going for that or higher anyway, and you get kept in the loop when the bidding starts. As a first bidder you always could underbid a bit, but I feel like I'd kind of just be wasting my own time with it when I do.

At the end of the day, you just need to know your own maximum you'll be willing and able to pay. If someone else is able/willing to higher than that then there was never really anything you could do strategically to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FWIW most houses are put up at asking price less than what the house is valued at in the hopes of starting bidding wars. So you have to be very lucky to get a house at asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Starting to get very demotivated at this stage. Looking around the meath/westmeath area near navan, kells, trim, athboy, delvin and everything is going over our 400k budget even if listed at 320-340k "asking".

We're looking at houses with >1 acre so perhaps this plays a factor but I feel like we've been outbid on so many dream houses at this stage its difficult to keep going. Have another viewing later today a bit further out in westmeath so hopefully the madness stops!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Starting to get very demotivated at this stage. Looking around the meath/westmeath area near navan, kells, trim, athboy, delvin and everything is going over our 400k budget even if listed at 320-340k "asking".

We're looking at houses with >1 acre so perhaps this plays a factor but I feel like we've been outbid on so many dream houses at this stage its difficult to keep going. Have another viewing later today a bit further out in westmeath so hopefully the madness stops!

Is there a reason >1 acre is a requirement for you? Could you consider living without it? If it's your first house (same situation as me), I think it's reasonable to settle for it possibly not quite being a dream home, especially in the current market, as long as it's still something you'd still be happy enough to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We moved to my investment flat in 2017 to save up and move to the "forever house" and not have to move again. The most important thing is that we are happy and dont want to move again.
    We are considering others (and were outbid at 75k over asking in one!) but it's a lot of money to pay for something you're spending 30 years to pay for and live in if you're not happy.

I think both myself and herself would prefer to wait 6 months for a better option than to move now to a less than 90% aligned property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Similar position to yourself probably looking for something between 1 and 2 acres, had planned moving early next year but will probably be end of next year early 2023 before we find something

Can you mortgage a house with a sitting tenant?

I was always under the impression that a bank won't entertain you, unless its a buy to let mortgage (requiring 30% deposit), even if you don't actually intend to continue renting it, and want to use it as you own house.

But someone told me yesterday that they got a normal mortgage on a rented house. Apparently the seller had to issue notice to the tenants, and give a copy of the notice to the bank/lender, too. And the bank were okay with it then? That doesn't sound like real life to me at all, though, but at the same time, i am not sure why the person (I didnt know them personally) would bother lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

ec18 wrote: »
    you're better off waiting and not rushing the builder to be early. If you close and there's issues with the estate/house it's a nightmare getting them back after the moneys been sent

Of course, that's the #1 nightmare but looking at the house and the progress it's making, it looks to be completed this year but they still insist on their deadline, doesn't either help I am using HTB to purchase this property too

Advertisement