Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

AhhHere wrote: »
    For fans of Reece's, the peanut butter cups are solid

front_de.11.full.jpg

I got these last night - they're delicious, much nicer than Reese's imo.

Have less ingredients, not as sweet as Reese's and the chocolate is thicker.

€1.99 for a bag of 7 large peanut butter cups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I got these last night - they're delicious, much nicer than Reese's imo.

Have less ingredients, not as sweet as Reese's and the chocolate is thicker.

€1.99 for a bag of 7 large peanut butter cups :D

These are lovely - too lovely tbh, so I have to convince myself they are terrible whenever I pass them in the aisle :o

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

Any Lidl stocking the beer Camaro, haven't seen it in over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

Any Lidl stocking the beer Camaro, haven't seen it in over a month.

bought a 6 pack in shankill today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

L1011 wrote: »
    Was looking for grillable meats on Saturday and they had... very little, really. The previous years BBQ product push is just not happening this year despite even more people having good home setups

Got some chipotle marinaded minute steaks that ended up tasting of nothing and the texture of shoe leather - avoid.

Wish I had of read this yesterday before I stopped in a Lidl I happened to be passing.

Bought a couple of things to grill.

Chimichurri marinated chicken thighs, they were meh.
    Pork BBQ ribs. They were also meh, very tough and flavourless, despite me cooking them for almost an hour on indirect heat.

Think I'll stick to my local butcher next time, or even Aldi, as both their stuff is streets ahead of what Lidl has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

McMurphy wrote: »
    Wish I had of read this yesterday before I stopped in a Lidl I happened to be passing.

Bought a couple of things to grill.

Chimichurri marinated chicken thighs, they were meh.
    Pork BBQ ribs. They were also meh, very tough and flavourless, despite me cooking them for almost an hour on indirect heat.

Think I'll stick to my local butcher next time, or even Aldi, as both their stuff is streets ahead of what Lidl has to offer.

Would agree, Aldi's rib-eye steaks are nicer at the moment, and better value.
    Local store reopened, thankfully.
    Side ripped out to extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Not sure if I post at the right place.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I had bought a jar of red cabbage from Lidl but when arriving home I realised that I had bought a jar of "braised beetroot with roasted onions" instead. It appears to be from their Polish brand. Does anyone know how I could use it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

awanderer wrote: »
    Not sure if I post at the right place.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I had bought a jar of red cabbage from Lidl but when arriving home I realised that I had bought a jar of "braised beetroot with roasted onions" instead. It appears to be from their Polish brand. Does anyone know how I could use it?

I had it cold, but it would be good hot. Use as a vegetable side dish, along with the rest of your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have two major issues with Lidl's bagged salads at the moment:

1) They go bad pretty much within a day of opening them, regardless of the actual best-before date. Not sure if there's still a shortage of certain gases worldwide, because they are packaged with a specific air mix to keep them fresh.

2) The mixed ones seem to be about 70% rocket lately. Or fcuking rocket, to give it its correct name. If I wanted a bag of fcuking rocket (and I don't, I abhor the stuff) I'd just buy one, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Technique wrote: »
    The cans of Perlenbacher wheat beer are very nice. Good value too at €2 a can.

Had a few of these, they were decent.

Anyone know if Lidl have discontinued regular Perlenbacher lager in 500ml cans? Im not in Lidl that often but it wasnt there on the last few visits. Its still there is 6 packs of 500ml bottles alright but have they discontinued it in cans?

• Advertisement

The canned aubergines, part of the Greek range, were lovely. Very soft with lots of oil. Great for this type of weather when they are warm enough to eat at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The new Taste of Siciliy range of special buys look good. Has anyone tried them and care to report back?

I'm loving their new hard seltzer (well, apart from the mango one). €1.49 each and perfect for drinking on a sunny day when you don't necessarily want anything too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Cotton candy grapes are back in season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Finally tried these. Definitely nicer than Reece's, but that's not hard as Reece's are vile. The Lidl ones are a bit sweet but nice enough for the odd one, IME.

Not loving that they've started practically vacuum packing their pitta breads. They're so compressed it's basically impossible to find the pocket now. Mangled pretty much an entire packet the other day trying to open just one enough to fill it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

OH gets those, gives each a quick go in the microwave to decompress it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

For any vegetarians these are lovely. There's a couple of different versions.

Don't know if they'll be around long as they're part of the veggie week promotion. They can't be frozen but have a three week fridge date on them.

I hope pic works as I haven't posted any since the "update" .

That's what I usually do, but didn't work with these. They were like LPs, they were so flattened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Got a few packs of Hell Bent burgers, Irish beef with South African farmhouse style seasoning, and grilled a couple last night. They've got quite a firm texture to say the least, more like boerwors sausage in burger form than anything else. But the seasoning and taste is bang on... If you like boerwors sausage I'd say give these a whirl.

• Advertisement

I had the actual Boerewors for lunch. Tasty, but waaaaaaay too salty for me. I'm into my third litre of water since I ate it.

Very few of the kickstart products in my LIDL - not sure why they bother running it if they won't have the stock? Irish producers so can't be a delivery / Brexit issue surely!

I didn't see any of the Mr. Curry stuff today in Cork (Cornmarket Street).

Was that the ones sold as a coil? 2 per pack I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Are these chilled or frozen? Ive been looking for them in my local lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its the same when Aldi do their Grow promotion, they advertise about 35-40 products in the magazine but on the shelves there are barely 20 of them. Its very frustrating if there is something you wanted and its not stocked. Its also not good from the suppliers perspective either though maybe they cant make enough to supply all stores

Fair point - suppliers can probably only fill half the stores supply-wise max etc even ramping up production to the max. That said, there was very little in my LIDL, like 5 or 6 products tops maybe. Hardly worth doing!

Chilled. They sold out really quickly in my Lidl so they're probably long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Chilled, as the poster above said.

After my initial post I went back in last Saturday and there were still some there for Lidl East Wall, if that's any use.

Advertisement