Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

2smiggy wrote: »
    Who is in for Ciara this morning ? She is somehow way more annoying.

On now a combination of her, Coleman and now Paul Murphy. The radio was close to being fired out the window.

You should have - sure Paul would have made sure you got a free one to replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

Was there an apology read out on the breakfast show this morning? Something about her opinion and not fact? Didn’t hear the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Odelay wrote: »
    Was there an apology read out on the breakfast show this morning? Something about her opinion and not fact? Didn’t hear the start of it.

There was a bit on at some stage about how a complaint to the Ombudsman (iirc) from Dec 2020 was partially upheld, it was where a presenter wasn't impartial regarding the 8th amendment and a debate around it

There may be another piece but I heard that at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

God Moncrieffs stand in is like listening to drying paint.

Jumping spiders on Jonathan McCrea :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone know if Vincent Wall has stepped away from his Sunday morning show 'Taking stock'. I recall hearing the current presenter - unsure of name - stating he was covering for the next few weeks, but that seems like months ago now. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Anton Savage on from 4 to 7 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Communicorp out, Anton in. That didn’t take long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Anton Savage on from 4 to 7 today.

I wonder will he still do his slot on the Dave Fanning show on Sundays on 2FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Communicorp out, Anton in. That didn’t take long

What's the history there? I'm out of the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

I like the girl sitting in for Sean today, knew the topics and let the contributers finish their segments!

Probably should do the lunchtime slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Did Newstalk ever broadcast in fm stereo?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Did Newstalk ever broadcast in fm stereo?

Not nationwide anyway. Back in 2006 when they launched first they primarily used the 5 107 frequencies (107.0/107.2/107.4/107.6/107.8) and in order to squeeze in those transmissions they had to be in mono. They’ve expanded out of 107 since but have remained in mono.

FM 106 is in mono.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

FM 106 is in mono.

Indeed. The Dublin (pre nationwide) operation was before my time so I wasn’t sure if it had been in mono before 2006.

The original 5 frequencies (with exceptions) network had several issues since initial rollout that have only been addressed in recent years. For example, the Woodcock Hill (Limerick) and Corran Mtn (Mallow) transmitters were both on 107.0 however there are areas in between (around Charleville for example) where the two transmitters were clashing with each other making reception difficult. This area would have coverage from Mullaghanish for the national services but the 107.4 transmission from Mullaghanish is directional towards Kerry. The Mallow outlet moved to 106.4 a few years back.

Same issue must have been happening in Clonmel/South Tipp as the 107.4 relay there moved to 106.0 some years back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed. The Dublin (pre nationwide) operation was before my time so I wasn’t sure if it had been in mono before 2006.

The original 5 frequencies (with exceptions) network had several issues since initial rollout that have only been addressed in recent years. For example, the Woodcock Hill (Limerick) and Corran Mtn (Mallow) transmitters were both on 107.0 however there are areas in between (around Charleville for example) where the two transmitters were clashing with each other making reception difficult. This area would have coverage from Mullaghanish for the national services but the 107.4 transmission from Mullaghanish is directional towards Kerry. The Mallow outlet moved to 106.4 a few years back.

Same issue must have been happening in Clonmel/South Tipp as the 107.4 relay there moved to 106.0 some years back

I mentioned this in a text message to the Tom Dunne show a few years ago that the music he was playing was unlistenable in mono, he replied that Stereo was overrated!

I mentioned this in a text message to the Tom Dunne show a few years ago that the music he was playing was unlistenable in mono, he replied that Stereo was overrated!

Think he might have been quoting John Lennon there ?

I guess Newstalk must be one of the few, if not the only FM station broadcast in mono?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Tom Dunne is massively overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Not sure of her name but I enjoyed the woman who was in for Moncrieff today. What would she normally be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mr.CoolGuy wrote: »
    Not sure of her name but I enjoyed the woman who was in for Moncrieff today. What would she normally be on?

Stefanie Preissner. Thought she was great, myself. For someone who wouldn’t be used to host a live radio show, she does have her podcast and has done interviews etc.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anton Savage now presenting The Hard Shoulder

Give that man a full time job Newstalk and get rid of the some of the deadwood

Hearing Anton is great again. I hope he gets a proper, full time role again, albeit preferably on a more light-hearted show. He might be good at the 'Lunchtime Live' format, too.

But I do quite like Kieran Cuddihy (unsure if I've spelt that correctly, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hearing Anton is great again. I hope he gets a proper, full time role again, albeit preferably on a more light-hearted show. He might be good at the 'Lunchtime Live' format, too.

Please, no. Get rid of ‘Lunchtime Live’. It’s awful, no matter who is presenting.

The tide is turning…

Please, no. Get rid of ‘Lunchtime Live’. It’s awful, no matter who is presenting.

And replace it with what, though? They already have every other base covered. Lunchtime Live is just the Joe Duffy show. Show for people to ring and complain. Not sure what you could put in it's slot that'd be worth listening to.

Although I have to be honest, I wouldn't be a huge Andrea fan. Although she's miles better than Ciara Kelly was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Andrea is fine, they just need to give her a better format.

The current setup does nobody any favours. There is only so much of the regular Joe & Jane Soap sounding off on the issues of the day that anyone can take. Liveline already caters for this.

mzungu wrote: »
    Andrea is fine, they just need to give her a better format.

The current setup does nobody any favours. There is only so much of the regular Joe & Jane Soap sounding off on the issues of the day that anyone can take. Liveline already caters for this.

But Liveline is very popular, which is why i assume they want to run a similar show at similar time. Some people may like the format, but not the presenter, so this gives them an alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I liked it with George.

And replace it with what, though? They already have every other base covered. Lunchtime Live is just the Joe Duffy show. Show for people to ring and complain. Not sure what you could put in it's slot that'd be worth listening to.

Although I have to be honest, I wouldn't be a huge Andrea fan. Although she's miles better than Ciara Kelly was.

Andrea is so bland there’s nothing really to dislike. No real opinions, not very well informed, sorry for saying it but low brow. I heard her saying that she’s constantly checking Instagram and that she’s also a huge Westlife fan and sorry again but I don’t think a Westlife, Instagram fan will ever have anything interesting to say.

In contrast,Pat today said unsurprisingly that he has never seen an episode of Love Island and never will.I bet Andrea watches it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

BPKS wrote: »
    Anton Savage now presenting The Hard Shoulder

Give that man a full time job Newstalk and get rid of the some of the deadwood

Ciara Kelly followed by Shane could be a start.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly followed by Shane could be a start.

I like Ciara on Breakfast,I didn’t on lunchtime live.I think they gel well together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement