Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Supercell wrote: »
    If anyone asks about running the day after a Pfizer jab my advice is dont! Go for a walk instead if you must. I had mine yesterday morning and felt grand this morning apart from a sore arm. So of course I went for a run and already felt tired about 100 meters in, by the time i was done I was utterly shattered (it was a normally easy 10k). So yeah, obviously, dont run the day after the vax is my advice doh!
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Had my first Pfizer dose on Monday afternoon and had mentally pencilled in a couple of days rest.

But was feeling pretty much ok yesterday so popped out for a mid-paced 10K at lunchtime. Have the gear ready to go now again today :-)

I guess it will effect everybody differently pending on a gazillion factors...I'll be keeping an eye out for any side effects for sure and will be avoiding anything too taxing over the next few days

I knew there was something about the vaccine here but couldn't find it until now.

I had the first Pfizer jab last week and was really tired and had minor flu type aches and pains the day of it and day after. Went out on Saturday and it wasn't pleasant. Yesterday was a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I knew there was something about the vaccine here but couldn't find it until now.

I had the first Pfizer jab last week and was really tired and had minor flu type aches and pains the day of it and day after. Went out on Saturday and it wasn't pleasant. Yesterday was a bit better.

I had my first Pfizer jab a week ago. My shoulder was sore for 2 days but that was it. Had no problems running the next day.

It's different for everyone. Don't force a run if you're feeling tired but at the same time don't feel like you have to rest just because someone else had to. Check how you're feeling and act accordingly.

Absolutely. Everyone I know, including my elderly parents, has been fine after. No side effects at all other than tiredness and a sore shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I planned to loop back in if I had any reactions to the first jab but nothing to not (yet!).

I did notice a bit of tiredness and fatigue the week after but tbh that could easily have been my regular dopiness :-)

Second jab coming up on Friday....feel so relieved and grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Absolutely. Everyone I know, including my elderly parents, has been fine after. No side effects at all other than tiredness and a sore shoulder.

I had the Jansen jab (so only one needed yay!) and had the exact same reaction as you, tired, flu like symptoms, aborted run etc. All grand now thankfully but apparently the fitter you are the worse the symptoms will be* :D

*one person told me this so it's obviously true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I had the Jansen jab (so only one needed yay!) and had the exact same reaction as you, tired, flu like symptoms, aborted run etc. All grand now thankfully but apparently the fitter you are the worse the symptoms will be* :D

Had the Jansen last week - next to zero reaction*.
    Easy 5k same evening, 10k trail run next day, 30k trail run the day after.
    Training as normal really. A bit tired and grumpy the on 2nd day, but that's not out of the ordinary as I'm on shifts.

YMMV

* maybe I'm not as fit as I thought??

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Got the J&J jab last Monday week, wiped me out for a couple of days, I had amended my virtual Cork training plan to give me 2 days rest after I got it, but I had to abandon my 1st post jab run on the Thursday, the tank was completely empty. I've changed my route for Sunday as I'm not going to worry about completing the full Marathon distance in one go if I don't feel it.

On a side note, the body battery readings on my garmin watch were spot on and reflected just how ****e I felt for the couple of days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Had the Janssen myself a couple of weeks ago. I have to say I felt absolutely no reaction whatsoever. HR was a handful of beats higher for a few days but there could be 101 reasons for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'd a sore arm after the Pfizer jabs. A bit tired the day after and elevated RHR but both could be attributed to not sleeping great with said sore arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

rizzee wrote: »
    I swear by 1000 mile socks. Usually pick them up when they're on sale on mandmdirect, twin pack around €9/€10. Well worth it.

@rizzee I picked up a few pairs of these. Tried them out over 8k today, savage socks barely realise you have socks on! Looking forward to testing over longer distance at the weekend! Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Has anyone felt their fitness wane after the Pfizer vac? I had my second jab on Wednesday but ever since the first one my running has taken a serious nose dive . Tempo pace is feeling like race pace . My heart rate has dropped - resting heart rate from about 53 to 47 ( as low as 40 sone days )and when running my heart rate would suggest I could give kipchoge a run for his money - all the while it’s like running through treacle. ( like low iron ). I take iron supplements daily. I mentioned to doctor when getting second jab ( she’s a runner herself so didn’t think I was nuts) . She said I wasn’t the only one to have reported that issue and to come in for bloods in a few weeks if it was still happening . Has this happened to anyone else ? Running is a cruel hobby .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Has anyone felt their fitness wane after the Pfizer vac? I had my second jab on Wednesday but ever since the first one my running has taken a serious nose dive . Tempo pace is feeling like race pace . My heart rate has dropped - resting heart rate from about 53 to 47 ( as low as 40 sone days )and when running my heart rate would suggest I could give kipchoge a run for his money - all the while it’s like running through treacle. ( like low iron ). I take iron supplements daily. I mentioned to doctor when getting second jab ( she’s a runner herself so didn’t think I was nuts) . She said I wasn’t the only one to have reported that issue and to come in for bloods in a few weeks if it was still happening . Has this happened to anyone else ? Running is a cruel hobby .

Not to dismiss how you are feeling but is there any chance it is coincidental as the weather has got warmer and the humidity has increased around the same time as you getting your vaccine? That's what I'm blaming for finding some runs a bit tough recently. It didn't cross my mind it might be vaccine related but it's a possibility. I got the 2nd jab about 2 weeks ago now. It's always good to get the bloods checked anyhow.

ariana` wrote: »
    Not to dismiss how you are feeling but is there any chance it is coincidental as the weather has got warmer and the humidity has increased around the same time as you getting your vaccine? That's what I'm blaming for finding some runs a bit tough recently. It didn't cross my mind it might be vaccine related but it's a possibility. I got the 2nd jab about 2 weeks ago now. It's always good to get the bloods checked anyhow.

I’m a fair weather runner as a general rule - the warm weather doesn’t normally slow me down but with the old hormones all bets are off .

I think I remember.a couple of runs after the first one feeling like that treacle way you describe it but it passed. Have the second one this week so fingers crossed it doesn't knock things out of whack. Had a pretty poor week last week... Can't afford another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

A drop in your RHR like that could be thyroid related (underactive), the blood test will clarify if that's the case. Hopefully it's just the vaccine though and all will right itself soon!

A drop in your RHR like that could be thyroid related (underactive), the blood test will clarify if that's the case. Hopefully it's just the vaccine though and all will right itself soon!

I do have an under active thyroid and my hr hasn’t dropped that low since I was first diagnosed so that was my suspicion all right . Might need meds upped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

I had covid and my HRV was reduced afterwards. Same has happened after my second Pfizer Jab. If you have a polar HR Strap or access to one download EliteHRV app and do the 5 minute test. You should come up with a figure of 55+ higher is better.

HRV is a recording of the variations between beats at rest. It is a very good indicator of the body/nervous system health. Low figures indicate it is stressed for whatever reason and needs to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Another Pfizer recipient here...got my 2nd jab earlier in the month.

Felt grand in the immediate aftermath but deffo not quite right now tbh.

As avid readers of my blog will know, I've been battling plantar fasciitis for the last couple of weeks and it's showing little or no sign of improvement. I probably overtrained slightly last month but not to the extent that would have me off the road for so long.

Maybe my age is starting to be a factor but I would have expected a noticeable uplift by now with all the stretching, icing and rest I've done.

Have been feeling gradually more zonked in general this week...tired and achey generally so hoping whatever it is sorts itself out fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Had my second Pfizer two weeks ago to the day here, the day after the first I was in bits running, for the second i took the next day off but still didn't feel 100% for about 8 or 9 days I'd say. All the same I got through a decent long run last weekend alive!
    Probably a certain amount of psychological aspect there to be fair as I was nervous about the vaccines having read all the guff online about them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Has anyone done an INSCYD test?

https://inscyd.com/

Planning on doing one within the next couple of weeks, prinarily to get my LT HR number, wondering if anyone has any experience doing one.

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »

Have been feeling gradually more zonked in general this week...tired and achey generally so hoping whatever it is sorts itself out fairly lively.

This is so me ! Hopefully we get back to normal soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Random running question

I run for fitness and to get time to myself. I’ve two young kids. I don’t really focus on getting my time down. I’ve managed to get myself up to a stage of running 10km and I’m really happy with that. It takes me around 70 minutes out in the backroads. 5km usually takes me around 32 minutes - I don’t really ever push myself on speed with this but one day I was in a rush to collect one of the girls from playschool and I was 29minutes. 😂

Anyways, we’re away in a hotel at the moment and I tried running on a treadmill for the first time. I felt like I was really pushing myself. The sweat was falling off me (could be ventilation??) and I couldn’t even focus on listening to my usual podcast. When I finished, the screen suggest I only got over 4km done in 30 minutes. It doesn’t really matter I suppose but could this machine have been in miles? That just seems very fast for me. Is there any way to find out? I upped the speed to 10 for last few minutes. Was around 8.5 most of the time. Picture attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

starface wrote: »
    Random running question

I run for fitness and to get time to myself. I’ve two young kids. I don’t really focus on getting my time down. I’ve managed to get myself up to a stage of running 10km and I’m really happy with that. It takes me around 70 minutes out in the backroads. 5km usually takes me around 32 minutes - I don’t really ever push myself on speed with this but one day I was in a rush to collect one of the girls from playschool and I was 29minutes. 😂

Anyways, we’re away in a hotel at the moment and I tried running on a treadmill for the first time. I felt like I was really pushing myself. The sweat was falling off me (could be ventilation??) and I couldn’t even focus on listening to my usual podcast. When I finished, the screen suggest I only got over 4km done in 30 minutes. It doesn’t really matter I suppose but could this machine have been in miles? That just seems very fast for me. Is there any way to find out? I upped the speed to 10 for last few minutes. Was around 8.5 most of the time. Picture attached.

Treadmills, while they can be a great training tool are usually not very accurate. You could have two treadmills side by side in a gym and you could feel easier running at the same displayed pace on one compared to the other. You could also perhaps have been running on an incline without knowing if the floor wasn’t level for example, the treadmill I have at home is actually at a slight incline even when it displays 0 incline.
    I like the treadmill but I go by effort or sometimes use a foot pod, I’d never really trust what the display says.

Thanks for the reply! Never considered that. I’ll try it again before I leave with a tracker on. Got to sweat out some holiday food so that’s all that matters I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

FWIW, I hate treadmills. In that 5km at easy pace feels horrendously hard to me. My "effort" pace on a treadmill would easily be 20% off my "effort" pace around the local park.

Not sure if thats the treadmills, me, ventilation, psychology, whatever....but perception is reality for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

crisco10 wrote: »
    FWIW, I hate treadmills. In that 5km at easy pace feels horrendously hard to me. My "effort" pace on a treadmill would easily be 20% off my "effort" pace around the local park.

Not sure if thats the treadmills, me, ventilation, psychology, whatever....but perception is reality for me!

Don’t think I’ve ever managed a proper session on the dreadmill :(

TbL

I went on it again and it is Km. I was slower again, sweating so much and just felt it way more. Glad I got to try it though. Interesting to compare the two. I’ll be bouncing down the country roads in a few days when I’m home !!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Mullinabreena

ger664 wrote: »
    I had covid and my HRV was reduced afterwards. Same has happened after my second Pfizer Jab. If you have a polar HR Strap or access to one download EliteHRV app and do the 5 minute test. You should come up with a figure of 55+ higher is better.

HRV is a recording of the variations between beats at rest. It is a very good indicator of the body/nervous system health. Low figures indicate it is stressed for whatever reason and needs to recover.
    I got my first Pfizer jab Saturday. I took Sunday off but I've noticed my heart rate is a fair bit lower the past two days on easy runs. Yesterday it was quite warm at mid day so I'd expect it to be a little higher. I don't feel any different pre/post jab while running.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This might seem like a stupid question, but with regards to measuring Maximum Heart Rate, is it simply a case of taking a measure of the highest BPM that you've registered when out for a run?

The reason I ask is that I put in the "220 (minus) age" figure into my Polar settings and it was fine. But I reached a higher MHR when out on a run and it asked if I wanted to update, which I did. Since then the Running Index figure after a run has me pretty much in the Elite category. I'm not Elite! :D But my running HR avg probably does look that way relative to MHR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

BaZmO* wrote: »
    This might seem like a stupid question, but with regards to measuring Maximum Heart Rate, is it simply a case of taking a measure of the highest BPM that you've registered when out for a run?

The reason I ask is that I put in the "220 (minus) age" figure into my Polar settings and it was fine. But I reached a higher MHR when out on a run and it asked if I wanted to update, which I did. Since then the Running Index figure after a run has me pretty much in the Elite category. I'm not Elite! :D But my running HR avg probably does look that way relative to MHR.

First thing to check is how you are measuring your heart rate. If you are just using a sensor on a watch the accuracy can be a bit off and getting high readings might happen but may not necessarily be true. If you really want to measure it properly on runs a chest strap would be best.

I have not tried it myself but I have been told by those more experienced than me that a good way to estimate your max heart rate is hill sprints. Find yourself a long hill with a reasonable gradient. Start off with a run of 2 mins at 5K pace, back to base. Immediately repeat this but 2 mins at 3K pace, back to base. Finally back up was fast as you can for 1 min. Look at what the max measurement is on that final run and it should be pretty close to your max. But again you want an accurate way of measuring if doing something like this.

Advertisement