Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy booze for teenagers?

Options
  • 29-06-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

If a group of teens ask you to buy them cans or some spirits, would you tend to say yes or no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I wouldn’t buy drink for underage people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

No, never.

Of course as a teen I asked everyone until I could get away with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Normally I'd say no but depends on the mood. We all did it or at least we did if we were cool enough to have friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not a chance with the calibre of gobsheite/gobsheitess out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not anymore.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Normally I'd say no but depends on the mood. We all did it or at least we did if we were cool enough to have friends.

Yeah, but tbh it's pretty fu*ked up our attitude to alcohol.

Nothing to do with how cool or not my peers from decades thought I was.

Besides, who could be arsed dealing with teenagers outside an off licence.. all risk for no gain.

Unless you want to look cool to the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I do. 'Twas booze that got me through that period of their life. The Doc. would not prescribe me anything. Always buy booze for the problem of having teenagers on your hands!

Edit: I may have misunderstood this question.

km991148 wrote: »
    Yeah, but tbh it's pretty fu*ked up our attitude to alcohol.

Nothing to do with how cool or not my peers from decades thought I was.

Besides, who could be arsed dealing with teenagers outside an off licence.. all risk for no gain.

Unless you want to look cool to the kids?

Yeh my fragile narcissism took hold and I bought some booze for some teens earlier. I always thought they asked like early 20's to go get them drink, not some old lad? I must look ancient to them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not since I was a teenager, I was the tall one with facial hair in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

I did it when I turned 18 and my classmates were still 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Never been asked. Must look like a narc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

No never, turned down some people

Now Im thinking I should have took their money and bought myself booze with it instead though.

1874 wrote: »
    No never, turned down some people

Now Im thinking I should have took their money and bought myself booze with it instead though.

Did that before when I was younger. Bad craic.

Yeh my fragile narcissism took hold and I bought some booze for some teens earlier. I always thought they asked like early 20's to go get them drink, not some old lad? I must look ancient to them

Maybe you just look cooler than you give credit for?

More seriously tho - they wouldn't ask early 20s these days, it's anyone looking under 25 that gets ID'd.

I did it when I turned 18 and my classmates were still 17.

Oh yeah, correction.. I did do it as a teen..!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wouldn’t want it on my conscience if things turned south so no...enough shîtheads of age and with legal ability to procure alcohol and then cause misery for others without me bringing immature kids into the frame..

Also, I don’t waste my time either going shopping for people who I’ve no connections with...if a person handed me a fiver and asked me to buy milk and bread they’d get told to fûck off unless they were elderly or were afflicted with a disability...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Not a chance. I don’t want some teenager’s stomach pumping to be my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What happens to the teens after the purchase would be none of my business, but I wouldn't simply because unlike when I was a teen (late mid 90's) the attitude towards alcohol wasn't as bad, and the Garda would just give out to someone for buying booze for the teens (and most likely taking said booze off teens and drinking it themselves), whereas now the Gardai would most likely have to take action because nosy neighbours and cameras, and it's a €5000 fine so feck that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Got Weed for some teens in Amsterdam last year. I felt proud to be able to help a few locals out. I refused a few French teens a couple of years back though as they were a bit too young and too annoying. Cant remember last time I got drink for teens but I do remember being refused in the offie at the end of Shandon Street as it was obvious the drink wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not a chance. Even if there was no issue of morals or the law, what benefit is it to me? And being nice isn't a strong reason, there are plenty of other nice things to do that rank much higher. It's almost always an older relative of someone that gets booze for thirsty teenagers, not a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

kowloon wrote: »
    Not a chance. Even if there was no issue of morals or the law, what benefit is it to me? And being nice isn't a strong reason, there are plenty of other nice things to do that rank much higher. It's almost always an older relative of someone that gets booze for thirsty teenagers, not a stranger.

There's a tenner in it for ya. How bout now oji-san?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’d feel bad if I didn’t? Here’s your change; boys get liquored up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BarleyPie

Did it in the past for my younger brother and his friends. But I'd never do it for randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I would buy it for them if they're 18 or 19 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Risk getting sued by one of their Karen moms if anything happened to her little darling?
    Not a hope.

Not my problem, wait a few years lads and you can explode your livers all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Nope. It must be over a decade since I've been asked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Never been asked, I must look like I'd take the drink or money for myself. I was always surprised how many people would agree to buy our drink when we were kids.

nobody wants cans anymore... its all about bags of weed and white

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Yes I would.

assuming they are 18 or 19:P

• Advertisement

unlike when I was a teen (late mid 90's) the attitude towards alcohol wasn't as bad,

See, I know this is AH etc, and I'm going to sound like a boring f**k but I don't care.. I don't think it's a case of the attitude to alcohol being 'bad' now, I think it's far more appropriate, and probably still too lax in a lot of cases.

I and many of my peer group started drinking young. I could sometimes get served at 15/16, almost guaranteed by 17 onwards and was drinking much younger.

Easy to work out how many of my peer group are drinking too much now. Lots of people in their 40s etc do. Many people are alcoholics but won't even think they are (but are definitely heading towards health problems).

Proper order to restrict the sale to kids.

Advertisement