Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bodonnell wrote: »
    Have a dell inspiron 3585, bought new 03/20.
    Microsoft app says it won't run 11. It has a tpm 2 chip enabled & uefi.
    ?

More from Microsoft regarding processors.
    Microsoft has also strongly implied that even computers which have TPM 2.0 and secure boot, but are older than an Intel 8th Gen Core or AMD Ryzen 2000 series CPU won't be supported in the final release (for preview builds, older hardware should work). The company released AMD and Intel CPU compatibility lists that omit anything that's older than those generations.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,218 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

New Windows 11 Build 22000.51 is now out from Microsoft.

Anyone installed it yet?

When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.

Windows 10 was released in July 2015 and dubbed "Windows as a service", which meant the software was gradually updated at no extra charge, rather than the company releasing a new version of its OS every few years.

Developer evangelist and Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon went further, describing it as "the last version of Windows".

Welcome to Windows 11 :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Windows 11 Home requires Internet connectivity and a Microsoft cloud account. The Microsoft account and Internet connectivity are only mandatory for Home but not Pro from what I've read.

Does this mean I can't use my windows 11 home laptop if I'm not connected to the internet?

whatnow! wrote: »
    Does this mean I can't use my windows 11 home laptop if I'm not connected to the internet?

From what I've read the new start menu is tied to the cloud so it can be App recommendation driven along with Syncing across devices. Not sure if that will affect usage with no internet or if internet is only required for the install process.

• Advertisement

The panic buying of physical TPM modules is well and truly on Stateside with many suppliers claiming they are sold out. Prices for a module selling for $15 last week were fetching $100+ after the Win 11 announcement.

The panic buying of physical TPM modules is well and truly on Stateside with many suppliers claiming they are sold out. Prices for a module selling for $15 last week were fetching $100+ after the Win 11 announcement.

Idiots - most of them probably don't even need it if they have a relatively new CPU

They’ve fairly set the bar high on this for processor. Mine will basically turn into a paperweight (7700) but I won’t be replacing it with another Windows machine now.

They’ve fairly set the bar high on this for processor. Mine will basically turn into a paperweight (7700) but I won’t be replacing it with another Windows machine now.

There's no real reason to upgrade to 11 except for the UI - you've got years left on W10 by which time your cpu will be 8+ years old and thats a long time in computing terms

fritzelly wrote: »
    There's no real reason to upgrade to 11 except for the UI - you've got years left on W10 by which time your cpu will be 8+ years old and thats a long time in computing terms

If I can’t get a latest OS update no matter whether it’s a tablet, computer, phone, etc then I’m changing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

riclad wrote: »
    and it will be more secure due to the use of the tpm chip
    My understanding is that Trusted means the OS and hence you trust whatever the chip says.

It's the whole garbage in , garbage out again https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/28/microsoft_malware_signing
    Microsoft on Friday admitted it had signed malicious third-party driver code submitted for certification through its Windows Hardware Compatibility Program.

The good news is that it can store passwords and checksums, the bad news is that conspiracy theorists say it could phone home.
    That will be bad for the environment
    Very.
    Most business computers are fast enough. This is upgrading for it's own sake.

Then again I'll be in the market for a second hand laptop once they drop in price :)

So, will OEM's get the same treatment as China and Russia? A special ISO with the requirement for TPM 2.0 disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

Bought a TPM from MaxBurns, only to find out my Ryzen 3700X has it build it, enabled it and my pc can run Windows 11

Strange not supporting first gen Ryzen. I'm pretty sure mine (1600x) has TPM 2.0 enabled.

/Goes to check.

EDIT: Yeah running tpm.msc on that one shows 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you have an older cpu you, ll be able to use windows 10 for years. The main advantage of windows 11 is it, ll be more secure , and it runs android apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you have an older cpu you, ll be able to use windows 10 for years. The main advantage of windows 11 is it, ll be more secure , and it runs android apps.

I hope the HSE is aware of this as it replaces it's Windows 7 computers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At present you can only run android aps on windows using a emulators like Bluestacks or Gameloop or if you have a Samsung you could use the Your Phone app or use the emulator in the development kit. Anyone who really, really needs androids apps on windows already has a way to do it.

I had a project 10 years ago where I had VNC on an ancient phone in the shed. 320x480 pixels is tiny.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At present you can only run android aps on windows using a emulators like Bluestacks or Gameloop or if you have a Samsung you could use the Your Phone app or use the emulator in the development kit. Anyone who really, really needs androids apps on windows already has a way to do it.

I had a project 10 years ago where I had VNC on an ancient phone in the shed. 320x480 pixels is tiny.

While those work, they are not just as easy as installing the app from the store. Also, I don't know about the others but I used Bluestacks a bit recently and it took an age to start up so a much worse experience than something installed on your PC. So, you can currently use Android apps on a Windows PC, but the experience is shíte and not something you would do unless you really had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Test too available here to see if W11 is compatible with your device. Surface Pro 7 here (i5, 8GB) is naturally 100%.

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

EXE Download: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases/latest/download/WhyNotWin11.exe

advertsfox wrote: »
    Test too available here to see if W11 is compatible with your device. Surface Pro 7 here (i5, 8GB) is naturally 100%.

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

EXE Download: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases/latest/download/WhyNotWin11.exe

As expected green across the board but for the CPU's 2x gen 1 AMD and a laptop with gen 7 intel.

I love that people spend time and effort in making stuff like that and that it's often more useful than official tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Windows Central has reported in it's podcast tonight that Windows 11 will be rolling out on eligible Windows devices via Windows Update from October 5th. However there will be no Android App store available on it for now when Windows 11 is released from next month. Microsoft are currently testing Android Apps internally first before they will put it out for public testing to Windows Insiders at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

There wasn't any problem upgrading a ~6 year old laptop with an unsupported CPU (TPM was ok) from 10 to 11 using the ISO. Windows 11 is fine but I still haven't gotten used to the centre justified taskbar, change for the sake of change as don't see why that would be any better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Only reason I can see for having the taskbar icons in the centre is for touch screens. In case you didn't know, you can move it back to the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

To my shame I didn't know! Thanks for pointing it out, I've now got it back where it belongs.

Moved my unsupported R5 1600x PC from win 10 to 11 via the insiders beta ring. Not so much as a warning when doing that. Only problem was with audio, had to reinstall the realtek drivers.

Actually, I had sound set up on that PC so that it remembered the level the headphones where at (connected via front jack) and would switch the audio on the speakers back to 100% when disconnected. Can't seem to work out how to do that now in windows 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Microsoft Office 2021 will launch alongside Windows 11 on October 5th. Details below.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

"Microsoft has announced that Office 2021 will be released at the same time as Windows 11, and not just for its latest operating system. Office 2021 will be available without needing to pay a monthly subscription, too."

So Microsoft have relented.

Machines without TPM will be able (allowed) to run Windows 11 but only via a new clean install, not via upgrade.

Anyone else finding the task bar not hiding when viewing full screen video?

Was working fine yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Advertisement