Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 11

• 17-06-2021 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭

Anybody tried the leaked ISO as yet? Looks interesting enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There will be a 2nd separate Windows event about Windows 11 app development taking place next Thursday at 3pm ET/8pm Irish Time. This event will focus on the newly redesigned & likely rebranded Windows App Store which includes how it will show the redesigned inbox apps and how developers will monetize apps directly from the store. I am very interested to see how this works for the Windows App Store. Thursday week is set to become quite a busy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched a few videos. I hope it's a very early build that's leaked (although if this is due for release in October it can't be THAT old) as all it really seems to be is a mild facelift with the same mismatch of UIs under the hood and a Start menu that's even more clunky than W10, and some design queues lifted from Macs and Linux

It looks like Windows is going the way of earlier Trek movies where every second one wasn't great at all (Search for Spock aside which I think is very underrated).

Not blown away by any stretch by what I've seen thus far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The leaked builds require Secure Boot and a TPM 2.0 chip. Not sure why that makes me feel uneasy but it does.

You can watch the live event on this link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/event?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-ipfG4mNRdtxj4i2jjrAijw&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-ipfG4mNRdtxj4i2jjrAijw&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=%28ir__f2autv3ojwkfq2k1kk0sohz3wf2xuvg6oxknukui00%29%287593%29%281243925%29%28kXQk6.ivFEQ-ipfG4mNRdtxj4i2jjrAijw%29%28%29&irclickid=_f2autv3ojwkfq2k1kk0sohz3wf2xuvg6oxknukui00

There is some relaxing music being played on it at the moment. But no person has appeared on it yet. They will probably appear when it starts at 4 O'Clock.

EDIT: There is a pre-show event to start at 3pm which is 5 minutes from now. This pre-show event is on the CNET Highlights Youtube channel only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I watched that event. About 5 minutes of showing off the product and the rest was just an onslaught of marketing buzzword nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

To get some ideas of how few CPU's will run this new (not so new) release that's not a release, have a look at the Health Check tool that's been updated to show if a machine can run Win11.
    You may get a nasty surprise. In recent days, just before the Microsoft announcement, AMD have moved a huge number of chips and GPU's into legacy support, which means they will no longer get any updates on Win 10, and effectively they have also killed the same chips for Win 11. There's not many AMD devices that are going to run Win 11.

To me, it's looking very much like Win 11 is effectively a way for Microsoft to reduce their impossible support load by killing off a vast range of systems, supposedly, Win 10 will be supported "through 10/2025", so that lays a fairly clear line in the sand for probably 95% of the systems out there.

I for one won't be spending big bucks on anything with an AMD label on it going forward, and I'm not sure that there will be much point trying to find a way to stay on Windows either, there are just too many support issues for comfort these days, and if we are also going to have to pay a licence fee for windows every month, which some have hinted, the thought of paying M$ every month to spend too long watching the update circle spin endlessly is a bridge too far for me.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Windows 11 Home requires Internet connectivity and a Microsoft cloud account. The Microsoft account and Internet connectivity are only mandatory for Home but not Pro from what I've read.

Although the vast majority of semi-modern CPUs support firmware TPM, almost all motherboards ship with it disabled in BIOS. So you'll need to go through the "advanced" part of your machine's BIOS to try to find and enable that support if you need it.

OEM motherboards are more than likely to have fTPM disabled by default and a lot of them don't show the setting to enable it, even when the CPU otherwise supports it. If you have a pre-built system from Dell or HP that didn't include a hardware TPM, you could be stuck with no way forward.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Users running the latest version of Windows 10 can download & run the Windows 11 compatibility App to see if their system is capable of running Windows 11.

Download App:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

3 yr old HP laptop, i5-8250U
    This PC can run Windows 11

Great news - this PC meets all the system requirements for Windows 11, and it's free. We'll let you know when it's ready to install

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Just ran the app on my Surface Pro 3 and sadly it will not be able to run Windows 11.

• Advertisement

sidekick wrote: »
    Just ran the app on my Surface Pro 3 and sadly it will not be able to run Windows 11.

There will be many more like you unfortunately.

The Cush wrote: »
    3 yr old HP laptop, i5-8250U

Can you run the command tpm.msc & see what it returns?

It will tell you if you have TPM support and what version (1.2 or 2.0)

Can you run the command tpm.msc & see what it returns?

It will tell you if you have TPM support and what version (1.2 or 2.0)

That 8th gen i5 has a TPM 2.0 built into the CPU.

So basically if you have the following you're good to go with 11

64Bit System

UEFI (Secure Boot capable (maybe))

TPM v2.0

Display: 720p minimum resolution, nine-inch minimum diagonal measurement, 8 bits per color channel or higher.

And for Home users they will require Internet connectivity and a Microsoft cloud account. (Not required for Pro users).

I still have two old machines here happily running Windows 10 Pro 21H1. both PC's have BIOS (old legacy) so that is EOL for them in Oct 2025 if they survive that long, they will never see 11 :)

I wonder if there are many old machines like that still active worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My laptop can run it. Desktop can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I presume the requirement for uefi and Tpm 2.0
    is part of increasing security and making it harder to hack into a windows pc even before it loads up the os.
    Increased security will reduce support costs for company's and Microsoft
    I wonder is the requirement for a user account and Internet acess there for increasing security or is it to enable Microsoft collecting more user private data so it can target ads to each user .
    So each pc will have its own account like each android phone has a Gmail account if you want to install any apps
    Microsoft seems to be going in the opposite direction
    from apple in that apple is bringing in more options in order to give user more privacy
    Eg opting out of third party cookies and Web tracking in the safari browser
    I think the options for auto hdr and android apps are a good idea and the new UI seems a slight improvement
    on windows 10
    I understand there's different settings for corporate os installations

The android apps from the amazon store will be signed by amazon they will send user data back to amazon
    There's a menu to change settings for privacy options
    but it's quite limited
    It sounds like Windows 11 will be sending more user data to Microsoft probably for the purposes of advertising
    There may be an option of sideloading android apps outside the amazon app store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

riclad wrote: »
    Increased security will reduce support costs for company's and Microsoft
    They stopped testing their their systems and updates to reduce costs and now they will reduce on security using TPM chip? What possibly could go wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Have a dell inspiron 3585, bought new 03/20.
    Microsoft app says it won't run 11. It has a tpm 2 chip enabled & uefi.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

bodonnell wrote: »
    ?

Probably the cpu does not reach min requirements. Gen8 rev 'R' and greater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

?

Secure boot enabled?

degsie wrote: »
    Probably the cpu does not reach min requirements. Gen8 rev 'R' and greater?

Ryzen 5 2500u w/vega graphics built in

SickBoy wrote: »
    Secure boot enabled?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yes

Is your boot method set up UEFI or Legacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

SickBoy wrote: »
    Is your boot method set up UEFI or Legacy?

Uefi

zom wrote: »
    They stopped testing their their systems and updates to reduce costs and now they will reduce on security using TPM chip? What possibly could go wrong here?

What

New Windows 11 Build 22000.51 is now out from Microsoft.

New features include....

- New Microsoft Store (The Amazon App Store option is not included yet. It will be added in later builds)
    - New File Explorer
    - New Settings app
    - New Action Centre notifications
    - New Lock Screen (Date & Time are now centred in the top-middle on lock screen rather than bottom-left like in Windows 10)
    - New Drop down menu options (2 options available for drop down menus for W11 & W10 with rounded corners)
    - New options to add/expand widgets in Widgets button.

I had a look at the video on Youtube earlier. It's very impressive so far. The biggest change for me so far is within the new W11 Settings app. It looks so much cleaner now along with being neat & tidy unlike the Settings app that is currently provided on W10.

Any thoughts?

Some business will replace 1000s of pcs as Windows 11 requires a fairly up to date cpu
    and it will be more secure due to the use of the tpm chip
    That will be bad for the environment
    I think this is the first os that required a Microsoft account
    and an Internet connect to install
    Once installed you can switch to a local Microsoft account
    if you want more privacy
    It looks like it will allow side loading android apps
    I'd like to see an expert test it when it's out to see if it's more secure than 10 for the average user

• Advertisement

Microsoft has temporarily removed the Windows 11 Heath Check App so that their teams can address the feedback.
    PC Health Check App

With these minimum system requirements in mind, the PC Health Check app was intended to help people check if their current Windows 10 PC could upgrade to Windows 11. Based on the feedback so far, we acknowledge that it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn’t meet upgrade requirements. We are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall. In the meantime, you can visit our minimum system requirements page here to learn more.

Advertisement