Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Rosita

Wex 2-27 to 0-17 second water break. Wexford putting in their best performance since 2019 semi final so far.

Not sure that means a lot considering they have played only two championship games since then anyway and beat Laois by 19 points in the League.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Rosita wrote: »
    Not sure that means a lot considering they have played only two championship games since then anyway and beat Laois by 19 points in the League.

It means a lot when they haven't had a performance like it in a while.

FT : 5-31 to 1-23

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big reality checks for Antrim and Laois. Big match for both next week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Big reality checks for Antrim and Laois. Big match for both next week.

Every few years a smaller team does well and we all get told they need to be playing the big teams to progress. The GAA bend over backwards and mess with the formats and 2 years down the line they are getting absolutely pasted.

Most of these teams build a bit of momentum hit a certain point and deflate when they can't go any further. Nothing Laois or anyone else seems to be able to do it's just one of those things

• Advertisement

It means a lot when they haven't had a performance like it in a while.

No it doesn't. They beat a team by 20 points. They beat them by 19 in the League. That's roughly where they are both at. Any other outcome would have bucked the trend.

The reason Wexford haven't had a performance like it in a while is that they haven't had opposition like it in a while either.

This is like every weekend in the League where a big drama was made out of every result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭billyhead

These high scoring games are turning into a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

billyhead wrote: »

Ah sure its imperative that the hurling championship has also-rans in it. Its great for the game to see the likes of Laois and Antrim 'rising'.

There is no doubt that having possession is now such an advantage (because scores are so frequent) that most games in the championship will probably be fairly one-sided. Even small differences between teams will develop into large margins.

Kilk. 6-28 - 0-15 Offaly.

Back in 2005 which is over 15 years ago now so big teams trashing minnows is nothing new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Ah sure its imperative that the hurling championship has also-rans in it. Its great for the game to see the likes of Laois and Antrim 'rising'.

Antrim were simply outclassed. Laois are clueless like headless chickens running around. They have some decent hurlers but prefer to move the ball and the whole team together up the field to create a score. At one stage Wexford keeper took a short puckout to the full back who then handpassed to the wing back and from around 70 metres from goal he pointed with not a single Laois player in sight. Crazy stuff.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Antrim were simply outclassed. Laois are clueless like headless chickens running around. They have some decent hurlers but prefer to move the ball and the whole team together up the field to create a score. At one stage Wexford keeper took a short puckout to the full back who then handpassed to the wing back and from around 70 metres from goal he pointed with not a single Laois player in sight. Crazy stuff.

So how do either team add to the championship?

Controversial hot-take coming: I would rather watch the likes of Chin or Rory O'Connor ahead of TJ or Horgan. More unpredictability about the former two.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,016 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus some massacres today in Leinster. There's a massive divide between Antrim, Laois and the rest of Leinster/Munster. Nothing can be done about it now sadly as it would be a farce creating another competition

The PR match between Laois and Antrim will be close and will be down to luck on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Every few years a smaller team does well and we all get told they need to be playing the big teams to progress. The GAA bend over backwards and mess with the formats and 2 years down the line they are getting absolutely pasted.

Most of these teams build a bit of momentum hit a certain point and deflate when they can't go any further. Nothing Laois or anyone else seems to be able to do it's just one of those things

Laois won the Joe McDonagh Cup in 2019, and went on to shock Dublin in the preliminary quarter-final the next week to reach the All-Ireland Quarter Final in 2019.
    All progress was destroyed by a series of unfortunate events involving the then manager and the lack of vision of a football orientated county board and a lack of funds.

If anyone should know the value of getting county boards and funding correct, and the right manager in place, it's a Limerick supporter.

Antrim just had a great league. It was progress.

To have an attitude that just dismisses these teams possibility of progress just couldn't be more wrong.

formerlyET wrote: »
    Laois won the Joe McDonagh Cup in 2019, and went on to shock Dublin in the preliminary quarter-final the next week to reach the All-Ireland Quarter Final in 2019.
    All progress was destroyed by a series of unfortunate events involving the then manager and the lack of vision of a football orientated county board and a lack of funds.

If anyone should know the value of getting county boards and funding correct, and the right manager in place, it's a Limerick supporter.

To have an attitude that just dismisses these teams possibility of progress just couldn't be more wrong.

The most inconsequential league ever at the same time.

formerlyET wrote: »

I don't dismiss these teams or progress I just believe the way the GAA keep tinkering to bring these teams on does the tournaments no good and does the smaller teams no good.

The league structure is a joke and sticking an extra team in Leinster will do absolutely nothing for anyone. Laois would have been as well off in Joe McD this year.

You are right that it's at underage and in the backroom that progress is made and this is where the GAA should lend there expertise rather than some silly new tournament structure every few years

• Registered Users Posts: 38,016 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Whoever decided to wait til August to play the Division 1 league relegation playoff should be shot

Westmeath will be done in the JM latest mid July, same with Laois could easily play it then and get it over with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Whoever decided to wait til August to play the Division 1 league relegation playoff should be shot

Westmeath will be done in the JM latest mid July, same with Laois could easily play it then and get it over with
    Laois apparently keen to get it played earlier due to ramifications for their club championships, their 2020 club campaigns have to be concluded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Championship has arrived!!! All threads seem to have gone bat sh*t crazy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I don't dismiss these teams or progress I just believe the way the GAA keep tinkering to bring these teams on does the tournaments no good and does the smaller teams no good.

The league structure is a joke and sticking an extra team in Leinster will do absolutely nothing for anyone. Laois would have been as well off in Joe McD this year.

You are right that it's at underage and in the backroom that progress is made and this is where the GAA should lend there expertise rather than some silly new tournament structure every few years

The Gaa is a joke pollotics at its best a county that has won the last six all irelands in a row still getting funded by the Irish tax payer ,other counties fading away.

• Advertisement

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The Gaa is a joke pollotics at its best a county that has won the last six all irelands in a row still getting funded by the Irish tax payer ,other counties fading away.

No team has won the last 6 All Irelands in a row.I think you might be in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

No team has won the last 6 All Irelands in a row.I think you might be in the wrong place

No i am not 2015,16,17,18,19,20.

Kk, Tipp, Galway, Limk, Tipp, Limk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭shockframe

Its a bit of a pattern that has happened a lot in the last decade or so.

A team outside the top 8 has a progressive season and then theres a bit of hype but seems to fall back to square one within 18 months. Kerry, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Antrim.

Only Dublin have maintained that breakthrough and they are slightly off the top 7 or 8.

Numbers are a huge drawaback to a lot of those counties. Its very hard to sustain competitiveness with such limited resources.

Antrim did well in the league but I reckon they were patting themselves on the back a little too much after it.

They haven't really done anything at underage since the mid 00s. If that was to improve they would be in a much better place in the years ahead.

You're not mixing up the hurling championship with the Bundesliga or something by any chance?

shockframe wrote: »
    Its a bit of a pattern that has happened a lot in the last decade or so.

A team outside the top 8 has a progressive season and then theres a bit of hype but seems to fall back to square one within 18 months. Kerry, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Antrim.

Only Dublin have maintained that breakthrough and they are slightly off the top 7 or 8.

Numbers are a huge drawaback to a lot of those counties. Its very hard to sustain competitiveness with such limited resources.

Antrim did well in the league but I reckon they were patting themselves on the back a little too much after it.

They haven't really done anything at underage since the mid 00s. If that was to improve they would be in a much better place in the years ahead.

Dublin are not even related to Laois/Antrim. They have been inconsistent but last year they were beaten by only a point by Kilkenny (3-20 to 2-22) in the Leinster semi-final. They previous year they drew with Wexford, beat Galway and qualified from their province. That is unimaginable for those other teams. If they're off the top 7/8 they are small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

shockframe wrote: »

I think that is unfair, Gleeson obviously targeted the league and league survival and staying in the Liam McCarthy was his realistic target, they have achieved one comfortably and will now face off against Laois to achieve the other.

Realism and baby steps that's the key for counties like Antrim. No point in trying to run before you can walk.

Rosita wrote: »
    No it doesn't. They beat a team by 20 points. They beat them by 19 in the League. That's roughly where they are both at. Any other outcome would have bucked the trend.

The reason Wexford haven't had a performance like it in a while is that they haven't had opposition like it in a while either.

This is like every weekend in the League where a big drama was made out of every result.

What are you on about. I'm talking about how wexford played. How well they played. Do you understand that no?

What are you on about. I'm talking about how wexford played. How well they played. Do you understand that no?

I'm on about the same thing as you. Just have a different interpretation. Provocative isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

My championship power rankings:

Galway – have been consistently good this year and last. Look a real threat this year. Fire power, pace and strength up front, power and ability in every position. Showing real hunger.

Limerick – Unsure if the Cork league game papered over poor form or showed that poor form was being resolved. That one reason pushes Galway ahead for me. Will know more at half time next week.

Tipperary – Still ahead of Waterford for me. One bad performance down in Waterford does not relegate them below Waterford yet this year. A bad red card decision away from a semi-final last year and the only team to beat Galway this year. I remember them being equally dismissed before the 2019 championship.

Waterford – Flashes of brilliance this year mixed with poor displays against Cork, Westmeath and 50 minutes against Galway. Also were in trouble against Limerick until the red card. Got a nice run to an AI final last year too avoiding Tipp, Galway and Limerick until the final. Kilkenny can feel they left that semi final behind them from such a commanding position at half time.

Cork, Kilkenny and Clare - Cant really put any too far ahead of the other here and cant justify any of them being ahead of the rest. Kilkenny still have a bite in them as shown against Galway last year and Limerick in 2019. Each can beat the other on any given day and each can beat the 4 above them on any given day, just not as consistently. Each rely on a star player. At a push Cork are a half a step ahead and less reliant on Horgan as KK and Clare rely on Reid and Kelly.

Wexford – Good win yesterday after a mediocre league. But they haven’t beaten a top team other than Kilkenny or Dublin under Davy despite 9 goes at Galway (4), Clare (2), Waterford (2), and Tipp (1). 14 championship games under Davy against teams I’d rank from Dublin up and only 3 wins to show. Thats about a 20% return which is about where they have been for the last 25 years. Not good enough from them.

Dublin - Just don’t know what you’re going to get. Showed in 19 and 20 they can mix it, coming close to taking Kilkenny out in 2020 and knocking Galway out in 2019. Mixed with performances like that against Laois in 2019.

Think this condensed format suits a direct run, avoiding 4 weeks on the trot. So I think it is set up for a Galway win this year and they will end the year league, Leinster and AI champs. They'll probably play Dublin, Kilkenny then a strong Munster team in the semis and final. Building with each game. Limerick, Waterford and Tipp best placed to stop them. Munster is a lottery this year. Couldnt pick a winner at this stage.
    All that being said, Im probably way off!

Advertisement