Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slane

• 25-06-2021 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭

With the lack of any new mainstream guitar bands coming through, is there any band capable of actually selling out the venue, who haven't played it before?

Having this conversation the other day with a mate, and it's a sad indictment of music that the only band who comes to mind, would be if Blur reformed. I don't actually think any other band would sell out the venue, who haven't played it already

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

With the lack of any new mainstream guitar bands coming through, is there any band capable of actually selling out the venue, who haven't played it before?

Having this conversation the other day with a mate, and it's a sad indictment of music that the only band who comes to mind, would be if Blur reformed. I don't actually think any other band would sell out the venue, who haven't played it already

Ed Sheeran
    supported by
    Garth Brooks
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Heard ACDC for next year

Seriously though trying to think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ed Sheeran
    supported by
    Garth Brooks
    ;-)

Aye, but I mean real musicians/bands.

Gonna throw out a few not sure if they played there before so might get some wrong, I'd go with

The cure, the who, def Leppard and iron maiden.

I know I said ACDC joking but they would be top of the list and I reckon sell out quickly enough.

I will add I think the killers would probably get close to a full house based on it being slane.

I reckon Dermot Kennedy would sell it out too

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

It will be an old reliable ie: ACDC, Iron Maiden, Metallica with a support act of up and coming guitar bands ie: Fontaines DC, Inhaler, Black Stone Cherry, Greta van fleet and Haim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

mightyreds wrote: »
    Gonna throw out a few not sure if they played there before so might get some wrong, I'd go with

I know I said ACDC joking but they would be top of the list and I reckon sell out quickly enough.

I will add I think the killers would probably get close to a full house based on it being slane.

He wouldn't sell out the VIP seating area

fran38 wrote: »
    He wouldn't sell out the VIP seating area

He's currently 8 active gigs in Ireland at low availability 2 in annes park at 24k, 1 in malahide at 20k, 1 in ormeau park at 15k, I'm not even going to bother add the other 4. 59k and slane factor adds a 10k I reckon.

You might not like him or his music but it's wrong to say he wouldn't fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

They're not my cup of tea at all but I think Picture This would have a chance of selling it out. They're massive in Ireland, UK and Europe. They're doing ok in America too, have been on that James Corden show a couple of times and sold out some decent sized shows.

They've sold out the RDS here and have sold out the 3arena multiple times. Actually any gig I've heard of them doing here has been a sell out.

I wouldn't go and see them so I'd hope they wouldn't get chosen for Slane but I think they'd be close to a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Some cúnts will break out a laptop, push play and dance around for a bit while the crowd gets to enjoy a "light show". Job done, 80,000 tickets at €100 a pop no problem.

Picture this a good shout, what did they do 5 nights in the row in the 3 arena not many do that.

• Advertisement

It will be an old reliable ie: ACDC, Iron Maiden, Metallica with a support act of up and coming guitar bands ie: Fontaines DC, Inhaler, Black Stone Cherry, Greta van fleet and Haim.

Are BSC still classed as up and coming? I think they'd be a bit too big now to have as support but not big enough to headline. They've headlined Download and festivals in Europe. But they've only played the Academy in Dublin, the Pav in Cork and the telegraph building in Belfast. All decent crowds at those gigs but not enough for Slane.

If they were billed as support for any band, I'd buy a ticket just to see them in Slane but I couldnt see it happening unfortunately.

Some cúnts will break out a laptop, push play and dance around for a bit while the crowd gets to enjoy a "light show". Job done, 80,000 tickets at €100 a pop no problem.

You pretty much just described Eminem. Worst gig I was ever at by a long way.

Picture this a good shout, what did they do 5 nights in the row in the 3 arena not many do that.

5 in a row yeah, 5 sell outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Well ye can knock Iron Maiden off that list,not a hope in hell they'd sell out Slane.If they could sell 30k it would be a major achievment.

Only hope I could see a Rock/Metal act might be Aerosmith/Kiss double headline gig or AC/DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dobman88 wrote: »
    They're not my cup of tea at all but I think Picture This would have a chance of selling it out. They're massive in Ireland, UK and Europe. They're doing ok in America too, have been on that James Corden show a couple of times and sold out some decent sized shows.

They've sold out the RDS here and have sold out the 3arena multiple times. Actually any gig I've heard of them doing here has been a sell out.

I wouldn't go and see them so I'd hope they wouldn't get chosen for Slane but I think they'd be close to a sell out.

Picture This and James Corden. There's a horrible combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Metallica was Slane’s most recent act in 2019, I doubt they’ll be doing it again as great as it was. To whoever suggested Dermot Kennedy........is that a name that fits with some of the all time greats of rock that Slane caters to? U2, Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Guns ‘n Roses..........Dermot Kennedy. Sorry, he’s not there yet.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Metallica was Slane’s most recent act in 2019, I doubt they’ll be doing it again as great as it was. To whoever suggested Dermot Kennedy........is that a name that fits with some of the all time greats of rock that Slane caters to? U2, Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Guns ‘n Roses..........Dermot Kennedy. Sorry, he’s not there yet.

Missed Eminem and Robbie Williams in your list of all time rock acts there, just cause he's not a all time great rock act doesn't mean he wouldn't sell out he's got the selling power it's already proven.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Missed Eminem and Robbie Williams in your list of all time rock acts there, just cause he's not a all time great rock act doesn't mean he wouldn't sell out he's got the selling power it's already proven.

Also forgot Bryan Adams & Madonna. We have to remember MCD/Mountcharles dont really care who plays at Slane anymore they just want a band/artist who will sell tickets and make them a **** load of money, so if that means the likes of Picture This, Dermot Kennedy will headline next year MCD/Mountcharles will be happy because both of them would pretty much sell it out and also sell a lot more tickets that the likes of Iron Maiden, Aerosmith or Kiss (whose show in 2010 in the 3Arena didnt even sell out).

I think Mountcharles said there might be two Slanes next year too so let the guessing games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pearl Jam headlining would sell very well and like Metallica were in 2019 didn't play here in years (well Eddie Vedder done a few solo shows here). No doubt Eddie's Mate Glen Hansard will stick his beak in and be added to the bill

AC/DC would be great

Bruce Springsteen and the ESB would be an option

I can’t tell if you are joking there or not? Eminem.....rock? Maybe in some parallel universe.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The Chili Peppers played one of the greatest Slane gigs off time , however time moves on. They would be lucky to get half of the 80 thousand crowd they played to back in 2003. 18- 30s just aren't big on RHCPs these days. It doesn't help that they haven't released any good material since 2006 either.

Same goes for Pearl Jam who have released sucky album after sucky album since 2002. You'd get good 45k id say , no more than that. But PJ have no no intention of ever coming back here. They've made that clear a long time ago!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Burty330 wrote: »
    The Chili Peppers played one of the greatest Slane gigs off time , however time moves on. They would be lucky to get half of the 80 thousand crowd they played to back in 2003. 18- 30s just aren't big on RHCPs these days. It doesn't help that they haven't released any good material since 2006 either.

Same goes for Pearl Jam who have released sucky album after sucky album since 2002. You'd get good 45k id say , no more than that. But PJ have no no intention of ever coming back here. They've made that clear a long time ago!

Id say PJ could pull the same sized crowd as Metallica, they would play on the whole havent played Ireland in 13 years or whatever etc, but sadly I agree its clear they will never play here again which still baffles me since there is a clear interest after Eddies two tours here sold out pretty much straight away.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I can’t tell if you are joking there or not? Eminem.....rock? Maybe in some parallel universe.......

Ah yeah I'm only joking with you, my original point wasn't that Dermot Kennedy should play but the likes of him and picture this have the selling power and I'm sure the owner wouldn't turn down the money either.

My preference would be ACDC. If Metallica did it again which is unlikely I'd buy a ticket in a second that was awesome.

Burty330 wrote: »

I think nostalgia would carry Pearl Jam through. I’m not a huge fan but I’d go for that reason. I couldn’t believe that people were saying Metallica would only pull around 50k before they were announced. When I got there I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people in one place in my life. It was most certainly full and if memory serves me was their highest attended gig of 2019 in which there were many stadiums on the tour.

Ah yeah I'm only joking with you, my original point wasn't that Dermot Kennedy should play but the likes of him and picture this have the selling power and I'm sure the owner wouldn't turn down the money either.

My preference would be ACDC. If Metallica did it again which is unlikely I'd buy a ticket in a second that was awesome.

I’d like AC/DC too. I think they are one of only a few acts that fit with the history of the venue. After them, there’s pretty much nobody left.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭RINO87

Maiden at Slane would be epic! A lad can dream!

Would Blur sell it out?

Dunno if there's any truth in it, can't find anything on it, but I heard Gorillaz were talked about playing it one year, but Albarn and Mountcharles couldn't agree who would pay for the animation. At the time Gorillaz sets were so expensive and making a loss, Albarn was paying out of his own pocket, record company stopped funding them. A reason I've heard Albarn wouldn't bring Blur to Slane either. Dunno how much truth is in any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

Would Blur sell it out?

I doubt it very much, I'd say slane would sell 15k tickets no matter who was playing. I'd reckon blur without an outstanding support line up would only pull another 20k max.

• Advertisement

Would Blur sell it out?

No chance. They wouldn't sell out the Academy.

Advertisement