Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bamayang wrote: »
    Any good apps for following golf results? Have GolfLive24 and the pga tour app, but both are very frustrating, freezing or not updating.

US open app is excellent for the Open, apart from that I think Flashscore is best for leaderboards.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Had a lesson tonight that changed my grip and fixed my hook. Striking the ball so much cleaner and I'm absolutely buzzing. Hit the back of the range with a drive too which I'd never done. Can't wait to play Sunday and undo all these good feelings! It's what's it's all about though!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Can anyone explain how I can hit a 15+ year old Taylormade driver further and more consistent than last years Callaway flagship.

Taylormade is a regular flex, callaway is stiff. Driver swing speed 110mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how I can hit a 15+ year old Taylormade driver further and more consistent than last years Callaway flagship.

Taylormade is a regular flex, callaway is stiff. Driver swing speed 110mph.

Because a regular shaft goes further than a stiff, just less accurate?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If assume it's cause you know exactly how to hit the 15 year old club pretty much perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think there have been significant distance gains in drivers since the heads got to their current size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Golf is so hard …….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

What type of stiff shaft? They can vary pretty radically in feel I’ve found. I couldn’t hit a hzrdus smoke 70g stiff shaft at all but can hit a evenflow riptide 60g with ease for example. Assuming you were getting fitted if you had swing speed stats, fitter really should have been able to find a shaft that works for you. 5/6 year old club you might not see much distance but a club from 2006 should definitely be less forgiving compared to the modern clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was playing with a very high handicapper the other, he hit a par 3 tee shot well right of a hole so he hit a provisional which landed on the green. He found the first ball but it was in a very tricky position, downhill lie to a green 30ft above him. It took him several shots but he got it on the green and ultimately scratched the hole. Now I was thinking to my self he should have declared the first ball unplayable and play his provisional. We weren't sure though if he was allowed to declare it unplayable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I was playing with a very high handicapper the other, he hit a par 3 tee shot well right of a hole so he hit a provisional which landed on the green. He found the first ball but it was in a very tricky position, downhill lie to a green 30ft above him. It took him several shots but he got it on the green and ultimately scratched the hole. Now I was thinking to my self he should have declared the first ball unplayable and play his provisional. We weren't sure though if he was allowed to declare it unplayable?

You can declare any ball unplayable. But I'm pretty sure you couldn't declare your provisional in play after finding a ball and deciding its unplayable.

You could take relief or go back and hit a third ball again as far as I know

• Advertisement

You can declare the ball unplayable and take a drop but you cant just decide to play the provisional ball instead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Green Reading books are going to be removed from the players shortly, the argument is that they take the skill out of green reading, now I was just thinking a good caddy can also have a similar effect, are caddys even needed anymore and what would pro golf look like without caddys?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Green Reading books are going to be removed from the players shortly, the argument is that they take the skill out of green reading, now I was just thinking a good caddy can also have a similar effect, are caddys even needed anymore and what would pro golf look like without caddys?

about 7 hour rounds if they had to carry their own bag id guess.

already disgracefully slow

You can declare any ball unplayable. But I'm pretty sure you couldn't declare your provisional in play after finding a ball and deciding its unplayable.

You could take relief or go back and hit a third ball again as far as I know

Interesting, I didn't think going back for a 3rd tee shot would be an option if you found the 1st ball and it's in play. What's the relief option from declaring a ball unplayable, I'm guessing 1 or 2 club lengths. That wouldn't have helped him anyway, he just wasn't capable of hitting the type of shot that was required from the area he was in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Interesting, I didn't think going back for a 3rd tee shot would be an option if you found the 1st ball and it's in play. What's the relief option from declaring a ball unplayable, I'm guessing 1 or 2 club lengths. That wouldn't have helped him anyway, he just wasn't capable of hitting the type of shot that was required from the area he was in

You can declare any ball unplayable. The term is confusing, there was a conversation on it here before and a few posters (myself included) thought that you actually had to consider the ball unplayable to declare it such. But you can declare one on the fairway unplayable if you wish.

In the case of hitting a provisional, if you find your original than that ball is now in play and your provisional gone from the picture. In other words, you can't choose to play your provisional even if you find your original in a bush. Your options then are to take a drop (2 club lengths no nearer the hole or back in line with the hole as far as you like) or to replay your last shot. So you can go back to the tee to play your 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

You can play your provisional (once declared as such) and go back to your original as long as the provisional was farther from the hole than the original when struck.

E.g. if you knock down your provisional you can play it again and then go looking for the original which may be still in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have no idea where to put this. I got out to watch the Connacht Women's senior Open in Athlone over the last couple of days. Some serious golf played down there. Made me realise that I really am not at the races at all :D They all hit the ball so long and so straight and short games are so good.

https://www.golfireland.ie/regional#/competition/2959968/leaderboard

about 7 hour rounds if they had to carry their own bag id guess.

already disgracefully slow

Possibly yeah but always thought it odd they never used buggies.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rikand wrote: »
    I have no idea where to put this. I got out to watch the Connacht Women's senior Open in Athlone over the last couple of days. Some serious golf played down there. Made me realise that I really am not at the races at all :D They all hit the ball so long and so straight and short games are so good.

https://www.golfireland.ie/regional#/competition/2959968/leaderboard

What are the handicap ranges for those comps. Have generally found that, when I play with the low womens members on my place they do tend to be straight as an arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What are the handicap ranges for those comps. Have generally found that, when I play with the low womens members on my place they do tend to be straight as an arrow

Looking at the gross/nett comparisons on that website, they winners appeared to be around scratch/1 - Olivia Costello is 13 years old and playing off 1. Like you said, the best were arrow straight, long and serious short games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Druids Glen during the week, they have morning tee times at a Golf Ireland rate of €65 at present.
    Course in fine fettle, greens sanded a few weeks back so would like them a little faster

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Does anyone else struggle with an iron under 8? I can hit an 8 about 150 but even a good connection with a 7 or 6 gets me roughly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Does anyone else struggle with an iron under 8? I can hit an 8 about 150 but even a good connection with a 7 or 6 gets me roughly the same.

Either speed (150 8i carry would rule that out ) or dynamic loft at impact would be my guess.

Do they launch the same?
    How old are the clubs (in case the lofts have weakened)

For reference my summer yardage on a well struck shot
    8 150-155
    7 160-165
    6 165-180

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Would be worth checking the spec of your irons as well, some of the modern game improvement lofts can be fairly jacked up in comparison to traditional lofts which might be making it harder to hit than it should be. I think you should be aiming to hit most of your irons up to 5i at least, 4i can be difficult but most players should be aiming to hit at least up to 5i I'd have thought and maybe a hybrid then instead of a 4i. Though not unheard of for 5h to take place of the 5i either. Doesn't sound like speed is an issue though so might be loft or an issue with the swing. Up to a 7i I aim to take a divot but from 6i-4i its more of a sweeping swing for me rather than compressing the ball. Helps me hit them anyway.

I have this very problem, going for a lesson next week to try and sort it. Basically anything more than 160 yards and I'm hitting a 3 or 4 hybrid with varying degrees of power. It renders my 4-7 iron useless. I'm guessing there is something in my technique I need to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have a Garmin watch (can’t remember type) - GPS on it is all messed up in Charleville, so they mustn’t have ever updated when Charleville made changes.

Would Garmin generally assist on any update requests?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

If you connect it up to garmin connect via the PC it should bring the software up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

plumber77 wrote: »
    If you connect it up to garmin connect via the PC it should bring the software up to date

Ah, well that makes sense. Haven’t plugged it in in ages!

Cheers

I really dislike how slow the game has gotten because of golfers using Shotscope, phone apps etc. Lads taking so long to take a shot, and then landing it 15 yards right of the fairway regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I really dislike how slow the game has gotten because of golfers using Shotscope, phone apps etc. Lads taking so long to take a shot, and then landing it 15 yards right of the fairway regardless.

i use shotscope watch.

watches are a lot faster than range finders. but i wouldn't say either slow the game down if user is playing ready golf.

some pre shot routines are outlandishly ridiculous though

Advertisement