Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Recommendations!

Probably not the best place to put this but its golf related.

Can anyone in the South Dublin / Wicklow area recommend a really good sports physio for back pain and possibly realignment. Its for my brother, he has been to a lot of chiropractors in his time but is looking for something different to try who may come highly recommended. His golf game has been greatly affected by it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Aidan woods from pearse street physio comes well recommended and well versed in dealing with injuries from running/sports as a runner (I believe) himself.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Recommendations!

Can anyone in the South Dublin / Wicklow area recommend a really good sports physio for back pain and possibly realignment. Its for my brother, he has been to a lot of chiropractors in his time but is looking for something different to try who may come highly recommended. His golf game has been greatly affected by it.

Not in Dublin/Wicklow but just off N7 Tony Spain in castlewarden, helped me out after an old back injury flared up and he plays golf himself

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks for the recommendations. Really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭coillcam

Frisbee wrote: »
    The Nike Roshe range are perfect for this. They are not waterproof in any way so as said above you need to wear them on a day where you know there is no rain coming and hasn't been any already as your feet would get wet in them fairly quickly just walking through wet rough.

There are the ones I have in a diff colour and they are just like wearing regular runners:

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/nike-gents-roshe-g-shoes-black---red-004/p-cd6065nikegentsroshegshoesblackred004gents

I also have a pair of their Air Max 90G which offer some waterproofing and would def recommend them for comfort too:

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/nike-gents-air-max-90-g-shoes-white-100/p-cu9978nikegentsairmax90gshoeswhite100

I had a pair of Roshe shoes and I could barely use them on course tbh. Had to get rid of them on adverts. I got more wear out of them on the range. Only on very dry summer periods would my feet not end up damp. The smallest amount of dew or grass clippings would have left me with damp feet. I changed to a Puma ignite fasten8 model and haven't looked back. While not 100% fully waterproof they are definitely water-resistant and as long as it's not raining heavily I'm fine. It's worth spending the extra €30-€40 or so to get something comfy/spikeless that has at least water resistance. For me, the Puma's are definitely more comfortable and stable than the Roshe. The Roshe sole also felt uneven or bumpy off the course fwiw.

I also invested in a pair of Footjoy Hyperflex BOA based on a recommendation and they're so comfy but a little heavier to wear. They are spiked and have top class waterproofing. Very happy to recommend them to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Recommendations!

While not in the area you're looking for, Functional Patterns in Donabate. Very best in the business and Paul is also a golfer.
    Can't recommend them enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Iv a pair of Adidas boost tour 360 that I wear for every round and I love them in general they just a bit heavy on the feet when going for 18 on a nice summers evening in the shorts.

+1 for these. I picked up a pair of 360 textile version a few weeks ago and love them.
    Previously had Sketchers, and the Adidas are more comfortable over 18 holes imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm in the market for a utility iron. Can't get on with the hybrids I have, developed a very nasty hook that occurs about 50% of the time. I currently have Driver, 3 wood and 4 iron so looking at something in or around the 17-19 loft range that will mainly be used off the tee as a fairway finder but occasionally on par 5s off the deck. Has anyone used one? Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Srixon UX, Cobra Utility, Callaway UT and TM UDI at the moment. Not keen on the looks of the Ping crossovers but could be persuaded.

Also, anyone bought from PXG uk site? Their UT is highly regarded in the US but can't seem to buy it on the UK site as far as I can tell. Seems heavily discounted at the moment too which is a shame as I'd take a chance on them at that price.

I'm in the market for a utility iron. Can't get on with the hybrids I have, developed a very nasty hook that occurs about 50% of the time. I currently have Driver, 3 wood and 4 iron so looking at something in or around the 17-19 loft range that will mainly be used off the tee as a fairway finder but occasionally on par 5s off the deck. Has anyone used one? Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Srixon UX, Cobra Utility, Callaway UT and TM UDI at the moment. Not keen on the looks of the Ping crossovers but could be persuaded.

Also, anyone bought from PXG uk site? Their UT is highly regarded in the US but can't seem to buy it on the UK site as far as I can tell. Seems heavily discounted at the moment too which is a shame as I'd take a chance on them at that price.

Could be worth considering 5w or 7w options too. Might be easier to hit and a good option on long par 3s. I bought a 3 iron (Callaway x forged) and sold it a few weeks later as my hybrid @ 20 degrees was much longer and more consistent.

coillcam wrote: »
    Could be worth considering 5w or 7w options too. Might be easier to hit and a good option on long par 3s. I bought a 3 iron (Callaway x forged) and sold it a few weeks later as my hybrid @ 20 degrees was much longer and more consistent.

Would be tempted by a 5w at some stage but think a utility is a bit more versatile. I can hit my 4iron (which is actually 20 degrees) well so it makes sense in my head to just go a couple of degrees lower and see how I get on. I accept of course that I might not be able to hit it out of my way but I have that issue currently with hybrids so worth a try. I could actually fit a 5w and utility in the bag as I've only a 50 and 54 wedge. I might have a chat with the pro and see what he thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Ceepo wrote: »
    While not in the area you're looking for, Functional Patterns in Donabate. Very best in the business and Paul is also a golfer.
    Can't recommend them enough

https://www.facebook.com/DaviesPhysiotherapy/

I find Mark very good. He has worked with me for a knee issue and now my back.
    In Bray on the Killarney road where East Coast Radio is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I have the mizuno fli hi 3i in my bag for the last few years as I had the same issue. I could hit really good shots then hit one oob from the middle of the fairway.
    I wouldn't never get rid of it but I am looking to have a hybrid fitting now I can control the golf swing better. Out if heavy rough the 3i is practically useless where as a hybrid will pop the ball up.

I have 13 clubs aswell but I'm stuck on either getting a hybrid or getting a 5w and replacing the 4w with a 3w.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just sold a 20 degree one on myself which was a 3i equivalent. Was a failed experiment for me to be honest. I hit my 22 degree hybrid further and more consistently than it.

Found them a nice club if you're hitting out of the middle, but big falloff if your strike isn't great.

If you've a high swing speed then might be worth a look alright, don't think I had enough to get the best out of it (my driver swing speed is in around the 95 mark)

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I have the mizuno fli hi 3i in my bag for the last few years as I had the same issue. I could hit really good shots then hit one oob from the middle of the fairway.
    I wouldn't never get rid of it but I am looking to have a hybrid fitting now I can control the golf swing better. Out if heavy rough the 3i is practically useless where as a hybrid will pop the ball up.

I have 13 clubs aswell but I'm stuck on either getting a hybrid or getting a 5w and replacing the 4w with a 3w.

My home course the rough isn't overly punishing if you are offline but you basically have two lies; 1. sitting up, can take an iron to it relatively easily, even a 4/5i. 2. Buried, take anything from a PW-7i to get it back in play. So the benefits of hybrids out of the rough are kind of lost because if I can get a hybrid at it, I can get an iron at it.

The bigger issue is the hook caused by the hybrids/my swing. I generally have a slight draw which turns to a hook when I hit the ball badly but they still travel similar distances. The hybrid just duck hooks way left, and way short and kills a hole for me more often than it gets me out of trouble. The irons seem to be less punishing when I miss hit them. I'm wondering now though if I should get a fitting and try both options.
    Just sold a 20 degree one on myself which was a 3i equivalent. Was a failed experiment for me to be honest. I hit my 22 degree hybrid further and more consistently than it.

Found them a nice club if you're hitting out of the middle, but big falloff if your strike isn't great.

If you've a high swing speed then might be worth a look alright, don't think I had enough to get the best out of it (my driver swing speed is in around the 95 mark)

What hybrid are you using if you don't mind me asking? I had 22 hybrid in the bag that I've moved on but that's the club I was hooking badly. Had a 19 loft hybrid as well but wasn't getting much more distance out of it compared to my 4iron so seemed sort of pointless. Also as I mentioned the hooks were there with it as well though not as frequent I don't think.

Not sure what my swing speed is these days as I'm only getting back into the game properly but I'd say around 95mph would be right. I use stiff shaft driver and 3 wood but my irons are regular. Driver can go anything from 240-80 depending on the conditions and the strike. Looking at hole 19 my average is around 255yards (total, not carry) so I assume I'm carrying around 230ish maybe.

Plan to get fitted for everything next year so this is just a stop gap solution really and likely a failed experiment like you. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I got a new set of Mizuno's at Christmas and needed a utility iron to match. The pro shop had a demo of the 2 iron HMB that I used for 2 rounds and I immediately bought it. it's 16 degrees, with a slight muscle-back, but it's become probably my 2nd favourite club and a real bonus on those tight par 4s. I can even use it off the fairway.

My home course the rough isn't overly punishing if you are offline but you basically have two lies; 1. sitting up, can take an iron to it relatively easily, even a 4/5i. 2. Buried, take anything from a PW-7i to get it back in play. So the benefits of hybrids out of the rough are kind of lost because if I can get a hybrid at it, I can get an iron at it.

The bigger issue is the hook caused by the hybrids/my swing. I generally have a slight draw which turns to a hook when I hit the ball badly but they still travel similar distances. The hybrid just duck hooks way left, and way short and kills a hole for me more often than it gets me out of trouble. The irons seem to be less punishing when I miss hit them. I'm wondering now though if I should get a fitting and try both options.

What hybrid are you using if you don't mind me asking? I had 22 hybrid in the bag that I've moved on but that's the club I was hooking badly. Had a 19 loft hybrid as well but wasn't getting much more distance out of it compared to my 4iron so seemed sort of pointless. Also as I mentioned the hooks were there with it as well though not as frequent I don't think.

Not sure what my swing speed is these days as I'm only getting back into the game properly but I'd say around 95mph would be right. I use stiff shaft driver and 3 wood but my irons are regular. Driver can go anything from 240-80 depending on the conditions and the strike. Looking at hole 19 my average is around 255yards (total, not carry) so I assume I'm carrying around 230ish maybe.

Plan to get fitted for everything next year so this is just a stop gap solution really and likely a failed experiment like you. :o

I have a small duck hook issue on my hybrid but only IF I try a draw and knuckle/toe strike it. It has to be a really bad one though. Generally speaking, a neutral swing that's toey develops a very acceptable small draw. I'm using Mizuno CLK (2018) in 4h(@20) and 5h (@25). The 4h carries about 200 yds and the 5h about 180 yds. Both of them don't roll out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Would be tempted by a 5w at some stage but think a utility is a bit more versatile. I can hit my 4iron (which is actually 20 degrees) well so it makes sense in my head to just go a couple of degrees lower and see how I get on. I accept of course that I might not be able to hit it out of my way but I have that issue currently with hybrids so worth a try. I could actually fit a 5w and utility in the bag as I've only a 50 and 54 wedge. I might have a chat with the pro and see what he thinks.

If I were you I would be having a look at your bag set up and seeing if you really need another club at the top end of the bag. 3w is typically 15 deg and your 4i is 20 deg so are you going to have any benefit from a 3rd club in a 5 deg range? I play a 3w and 19 deg hybrid as my 4i is 23 deg and the hybrid fills that gap nicely. You mention you have a 50 & 54 deg wedge, might it be of more benefit to get another wedge perhaps a 58? I'd imagine like most players you would likely have more shots with a wedge in a round than you would with a utility. Obviously it depends on your game and what you like but just explore all the options available to you before making a decision rather than being sure you need a utility when you might have very little room at that end of the bag for one.

KevH1984 wrote: »
    If I were you I would be having a look at your bag set up and seeing if you really need another club at the top end of the bag. 3w is typically 15 deg and your 4i is 20 deg so are you going to have any benefit from a 3rd club in a 5 deg range? I play a 3w and 19 deg hybrid as my 4i is 23 deg and the hybrid fills that gap nicely. You mention you have a 50 & 54 deg wedge, might it be of more benefit to get another wedge perhaps a 58? I'd imagine like most players you would likely have more shots with a wedge in a round than you would with a utility. Obviously it depends on your game and what you like but just explore all the options available to you before making a decision rather than being sure you need a utility when you might have very little room at that end of the bag for one.

That is actually very good advice, thanks. I would say the Utility would be in play 3 or 4 times a round, the course is relatively short and there are a few holes where accuracy is more important than length but I've been using my 4i and 3 wood to good effect in those cases. Might just get a 58, had always planned on one but have got this UT notion in my head recently. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

That is actually very good advice, thanks. I would say the Utility would be in play 3 or 4 times a round, the course is relatively short and there are a few holes where accuracy is more important than length but I've been using my 4i and 3 wood to good effect in those cases. Might just get a 58, had always planned on one but have got this UT notion in my head recently. :o

It's important to assess your own game and own strategy before making any changes of equipment. If your 3w and 4i are working and accurate as you say then I'd see no point personally in adding another similar club in to the mix. Experiment with a 58, I find it great and very handy when needing to come in over a bunker or trees close to the green. I'd be really struggling if I had only a 54 but that's just me and you need to make sure you have all the right tools to maximise your own game and scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I played a round in a course I've never played (open comp). They said we couldn't sign in or enter our scores in their computer system so they would manually do it themselves after. Thing is, I incorrectly wrote the wrong points on one of the holes, the strokes were correct.

What happens in this situation?

If I could enter my score in the computer like every other competition I've ever played, this would of been obvious. I'm very annoyed about this (both at myself and the club for not having a computer system).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

fungie wrote: »
    I played a round in a course I've never played (open comp). They said we couldn't sign in or enter our scores in their computer system so they would manually do it themselves after. Thing is, I incorrectly wrote the wrong points on one of the holes, the strokes were correct.

What happens in this situation?

If I could enter my score in the computer like every other competition I've ever played, this would of been obvious. I'm very annoyed about this (both at myself and the club for not having a computer system).

If your strokes are correct then they should correct the points. youre only responsible for writing down the stroke they have to check the rest is what ive been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

DuckSlice wrote: »
    If your strokes are correct then they should correct the points. youre only responsible for writing down the stroke they have to check the rest is what ive been told.

Great thanks, looks like I'm ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What is the handicap breakdown in a 3 Person Champagne Scramble?

For easy purposes we’ll say the handicaps rounded (index) are 10, 20 and 21 and Course Handicaps are 11, 22 and 23

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Anyone know if it costs to get a fit done in halpenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Aph2016 wrote: »
    I think its €50 and it comes off your purchase but I've hit clubs and not bought before and they never charged. Usually its a case of they ask if you want to hit a few on the sim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Was just looking at this myself, they seem to have a 30 min and 60 min options to book but doesn't mention cost

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I booked one (and subsequently cancelled so don't know what it's like) a few weeks back in Swords and was told it was €30. As a poster said, they take that off the purchase price if you buy with them.

Is Kilrush’s golf club any use?

Shannon have Capt prize this weekend, Ennis has club singles and priced out of Dromoland. (Play Woodstock a lot so want something different).

Anything else within 25 mins of Clarecastle/Ennis would be grand too - but not the Limerick courses

Ugh.

Just copped in a scramble I played today I was marking the card.

Partner on one hole (has two shots on the hole) ended up getting birdie for 5 points (3 for 5)

I wrote in 4 strokes for 5 points.

Any thoughts on what I should do there? Should I say something just in case or should I leave it? Will they amend it to 4 points because of his strokes put in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Any good apps for following golf results? Have GolfLive24 and the pga tour app, but both are very frustrating, freezing or not updating.

Advertisement