Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

AllForIt wrote: »
    I am going to sell on my HD6xx if anyone here is interested. I've done some mods to them you might or might not like. PM me and I'll explain. Ill stick them up on Adverts if anyone is interested, otherwise I might go Eb**.

What mods did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone here have the 58X from drop? What kinda customs etc did you have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Nice! How do you find the planar bass compared to the dynamic 6xx? I haven't heard any of the 6 series, but do love the sub bass on planars. From what I've heard the mids on the 6xx are mint though, so might be hard to top.

The sub bass is the thing that's missing on the planars. It really lacks that hit in the bass from the sub bass, despite being really quite detailed in the lower tones. If you're listening to stuff with a lot of lows the Sundaras may not be your cup of tea.

That being said the 6XX don't have a whole lot of bass either, but they certainly have more than the Sundaras.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sheeps wrote: »
    The sub bass is the thing that's missing on the planars. It really lacks that hit in the bass from the sub bass, despite being really quite detailed in the lower tones. If you're listening to stuff with a lot of lows the Sundaras may not be your cup of tea.

That being said the 6XX don't have a whole lot of bass either, but they certainly have more than the Sundaras.

Interesting, I could see them lacking the slam and maybe dynamics of a dynamic headphone. But in my experience with the Aryas there is plenty in the sub bass region, but again they do lack the slam, however they have a lovely rumble in the sub bass.

When things start opening back up I might look for a good closed back with plenty of slam and dynamics to compliment them, that I can use in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Been trying to source a fiio k5 pro but can't seem to find stock anywhere at the moment except the states or China. Anyone seen stock of then online? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Romero

Been trying to source a fiio k5 pro but can't seem to find stock anywhere at the moment except the states or China. Anyone seen stock of then online? Cheers
    Amazon Spain seem to be selling it
    FiiO K5 Pro Amplificador DAC de Auriculares https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07WT7TYWY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_VPQQP30EMSCYX6HRQJX9

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Had a Fiio M5, wouldnt touch the brand again. The software is dire and their support is nonexistent. Also randomly bricked itself less than a year after it was bought.

I've some audio stuff i'll be throwing up on Adverts once restrictions ease a bit.
    A K5 Pro will be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

I've some audio stuff i'll be throwing up on Adverts once restrictions ease a bit.
    A K5 Pro will be one of them.

Cheers, sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Any advice for my post here guys! Would like to order something before weekend is out.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058187852

Forum is gone quite these days! Wonder would there be a case for the Audio Hifi and Separate's, Audio Amplifiers and Speakers and this forum to be rolled into one Audiophile/ Hi Fi forum? Combined traffic might at least make one active forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Picked up a pair of Sandaras and a dragonfly cobalt today. Still in the boxes.

Gonna try them out with my phone first with Tidal HiFi. I don’t need any other software or apps to get lossless from Tidal out of the phone right?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

@adox, no, you don't need any other software to get 'lossless'. Furthermore, with a HiFi subscription, you also get access to MQA recordings which the Cobalt unfolds for you. Enjoy!

Ok so I have them set up and playing but the light on the cobalt is blue no matter what source is fed?

Edit: Bought the USB Audio Player Pro and that seems to have sorted it.

Already considering a set of IEMs to compliment my new additions and add external portability to the dragonfly.

Any recommendations for a budget or around €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

adox wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of Sandaras and a dragonfly cobalt today. Still in the boxes.

Gonna try them out with my phone first with Tidal HiFi. I don’t need any other software or apps to get lossless from Tidal out of the phone right?

No. And the Masters are exceptional. But will only cast in HiFi to Chromecast etc.

The Nal wrote: »
    No. And the Masters are exceptional. But will only cast in HiFi to Chromecast etc.

Thanks. I did end up buying the USB Audio Pro app to get the higher sample rate out of the phone.

I use the Tidal app on my Android tv wired into my home Cinema set up which seems to get full signal.

Thanks. I did end up buying the USB Audio Pro app to get the higher sample rate out of the phone.

I use the Tidal app on my Android tv wired into my home Cinema set up which seems to get full signal.

Oh cool. Yeah Ive to wire my PC up to the amp. Just have the turntable and a chromcast attached at the moment.

Does the USB audio Pro app mean I can cast the Masters to Chromecast from my phone?

The Nal wrote: »
    Oh cool. Yeah Ive to wire my PC up to the amp. Just have the turntable and a chromcast attached at the moment.

Does the USB audio Pro app mean I can cast the Masters to Chromecast from my phone?

I’m not sure tbh but it was the only way I could get the masters playing at higher res from my phone with the dragonfly amp/dac.

Was €7.50 plus a €4.50 in app purchase for full unpacking of the MQA files on Tidal.

Some info here on the app and what it does:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro

Actually reading more about this and looking at the output on my receiver I am limited by Android as well so not outputting the masters at their true rate.

Must see if the app is available for Android tv or if Apple TV can output the higher rates. I stopped using the ATV for Tidal as it didn’t have any marking on songs or albums for masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hi all I'm looking for a pair of wired earphones
    I will be using them with my ztella and phone
    Not more than 60
    But here's the thing I'm disabled so I find earphones that go over the ear hard to put in so it will just need to be straight in ear

Any recommendations

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Switched back to my Sundaras for a while there after an extended period on my 6XX (mostly due to comfort and convenience) and I'm reminded of what an amazing headphones the Sundaras actually are. They seem to get more and more pleasing as time goes on.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Switched back to my Sundaras for a while there after an extended period on my 6XX (mostly due to comfort and convenience) and I'm reminded of what an amazing headphones the Sundaras actually are. They seem to get more and more pleasing as time goes on.

Yeah Im really enjoying mine. Took a little while to get used to the headband which I find a little uncomfortable with the weight of them.

I have a cheap(ish) pair of IEMs on the way too. Final A4000, Should have them tomorrow so looking forward to trying those out also.

I really wish Tidal connect was available for my amp or TV so I could stream the high def lossless on them. Everyway I try at the moment is capped at CD quality.

I have a Dragonfly DAC which I suppose I could try and connect up to it but Im using that for headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Got a pair of AKG K712's.

Really love them so far, incredibly light and comfortable and a great airy spacious sound.

Bought them as a contrast to the HD650's - my only other "fancy" headphones - and I'm very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Howdy,

How are the Sennheiser HD 599 for Tv/movies etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Arghus wrote: »
    Got a pair of AKG K712's.

Really love them so far, incredibly light and comfortable and a great airy spacious sound.

Bought them as a contrast to the HD650's - my only other "fancy" headphones - and I'm very pleased.

I sold my HD650 (massdrop version) and now on Superlux H681B. I prefer them precicely because they also are airy and spacioius, exactly what the HD650 isn't. I've modded the Superlux to get rid of the treble spike so will do me for now, while I decide on the which high-end can to buy. Either the new version of the Hifiman 400i or the AKG K712 Pro. I can't decide because I'd love to try a Hifiman planar but my instinct is telling me the AKG is what I'm looking for. I don't like one sided cables though and the Hifiman dual cable system is what I prefer.

I sold my HD650 (massdrop version) and now on Superlux H681B. I prefer them precicely because they also are airy and spacioius, exactly what the HD650 isn't. I've modded the Superlux to get rid of the treble spike so will do me for now, while I decide on the which high-end can to buy. Either the new version of the Hifiman 400i or the AKG K712 Pro. I can't decide because I'd love to try a Hifiman planar but my instinct is telling me the AKG is what I'm looking for. I don't like one sided cables though and the Hifiman dual cable system is what I prefer.

I've been really impressed by them. For just over 200 quid they seem a steal.

White Rabbit came on at random in a playlist I was listening to the last day and I don't know how many times I've heard that song over the years, a hell of a lot, for sure, but I never was blown away by the force of the vocals like that before.Their effectiveness at separating the layers like that was pretty remarkable. Totally made the song sound new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Arghus wrote: »
    I've been really impressed by them. For just over 200 quid they seem a steal.

White Rabbit came on at random in a playlist I was listening to the last day and I don't know how many times I've heard that song over the years, a hell of a lot, for sure, but I never was blown away by the force of the vocals like that before.Their effectiveness at separating the layers like that was pretty remarkable. Totally made the song sound new again.

Did you get them on Amazon for 200 and did you pay customs on top of that?

Are there any USB DACs that dont top out at 24-bit / 96kHz? Dragonflys seems to. Just want to run something through my amp so I can play Tidal MQA from my phone app.

• Advertisement

Did you get them on Amazon for 200 and did you pay customs on top of that?

I got them for 222 on thomann and that was all I paid.

Okay, tbf, slightly above 200. But still a steal IMO.

Advertisement