Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA refuse to sanction illuminating Munich Stadium in rainbow colours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You're going to thrilled next week.

Government departments / offices have been issued with a rainbow flag to be flown between the 26th and 28th of June in solidarity with.... yadda.....yadda....yadda...

I'd agree with you that it becomes tiresome. Frankly, everybody knows a few gay people and basically most people don't give a flyers about the sexuality of their friends.Even some gay friends of mine that I was talking to this week (1 male, 1 female) are sick of it.

It’s not even Pride that’s tiresome. It’s the corporatisation of it. It used to be a great festival, not it’s a series of adverts for Axa, PTSB etc showing how progressive they are and to drum up business. I was at one on Oxford Street in Sydney that was absolutely great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Christ on a bike!

This is the oldest trick in the homophobes book. As if the LBGT community are some sort of shadowy perverted organisation who are out to recruit your kids, kids who would not be gay of a Monday but suddenly be gay of a Tuesday because the idea of being gay was "promoted" to them.

This isn't how it works. Gay adults were once gay kids. these kids need to learn at a young age that they're sexual orientation is perfectly fine and it is accepted everywhere. Being gay is no more a choice than your decision to be straight.

Promotion of gay rights is extremely important. It might even help some of the homophobes come to terms with those weird feelings they have now and again about their mate Terry.

I'm actually talking about gender issues, not sexuality. I should have specified that. The law in Hungary extends to both but on gender issues I agree 110% with it.

What exactly is "this stuff" you speak of?

This law is far more reaching than just stopping kids transition or whatever it is that you appear to be ok with.

This law bans anything that the government deem "promotes" homosexuality to under 18s. So teachers for example may not be able to say to a class that being gay is ok, that being in a gay relationship is ok.

LGBT youth are ~2x as likely to attempt suicide as heterosexual youth are.

You honestly think that a 16 year old in Hungary questioning their sexuality won't be adversely affected by this law?

Homosexuality was never promoted to me in school. Who do I sue? I’ve quite a few gay friends who are the same age or older, they also never had homosexuality promoted to them. Why does it need to be promoted? It’s not a closing down sale or a film premiere. Heterosexuality wasn’t exactly promoted either. Sex Ed was basically a nun telling us we’d to wait until marriage to have babies.

They knew they were gay, some from a young age, others as they got older. Some were happy to come out, some were nervous about it. Homosexuality isn’t against the law in Hungary.

Classic!

Did you miss the next sentence. Do you think nuns are full of sexual information???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Fandymo wrote: »
    Heterosexuality wasn’t exactly promoted either.

Is this some sort of joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

This isn't how it works.
    I hope you have no idea how it works or otherwise you doing hard demagogy here. It was proved hundreds of times how quickly and dangerously seriously indoctrination works on children.

Is this some sort of joke?

Yes, of course it was. Shure everyone knows nuns are mad for promoting that young people should be riding rings around each other. We were basically told that a man puts a seed in a woman’s tummy and that’s where babies come from, but he can’t do it until they are married.

Sex education should also, I believe, be given at home. Not by some stranger to a group of 20/30 awkward teens. Is there nothing that people don’t try and palm off to the state these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

That's your opinion. There are a lot people out there who find this stuff extremely dangerous to be promoted to children either directly or indirectly.

How did such children get on up until now?

The way you guys go on children have been somehow oppressed and damaged by having this kept from them what ever you define 'this' as being.

I'll just be honest with you - the vast vast majority of people know full well that isn't true.

That law in Hungary incidentally, on the face of it, looks very reasonable to me and protective of children not the other way around

How in the world does a 16 year not seeing two people of the same gender kissing protect them? This makes absolutely no sense at all. What harm will come to a teenager who hears a teacher acknowledge the existence of lgbt people or watches a show with an lgbt couple?

As for how they got on, usually by having a far higher suicide rates. Teenagers will be teenagers. Give them the bloody facts. Teach them about STDs, teach them how to be safe because it is happening anyway.

This is the same as the old don't mention it and teenagers will never figure to have sex which doesn't work either and results in far more problems than just being honest to them.

zom wrote: »
    I hope you have no idea how it works or otherwise you doing hard demagogy here. It was proved hundreds of times how quickly and dangerously seriously indoctrination works on children.

Which is why it is important to show children that being gay is a natural part of life and to not indoctrinate them with the idea that their sexual orientation, whatever it may be, is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Homosexuality was never promoted to me in school. Who do I sue? I’ve quite a few gay friends who are the same age or older, they also never had homosexuality promoted to them. Why does it need to be promoted? It’s not a closing down sale or a film premiere.

Because you see "promotion" and think "closing down sale or a film premiere" type of promotion.

This law effectively bans any discussion on sexual orientation with under 18s.

You think it is healthy for a child/teenager that may be gay, to never hear it's ok to be gay?
    Heterosexuality wasn’t exactly promoted either.

Heterosexuality is promoted in literally every facet of life, you just might not view it as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's your opinion. There are a lot people out there who find this stuff extremely dangerous to be promoted to children either directly or indirectly.

How did such children get on up until now?

The way you guys go on children have been somehow oppressed and damaged by having this kept from them what ever you define 'this' as being.

I'll just be honest with you - the vast vast majority of people know full well that isn't true.

That law in Hungary incidentally, on the face of it, looks very reasonable to me and protective of children not the other way around

The way the education system is being infiltrated by progressives, I would urge anyone who can afford it to send their kids to private schools

Public schools will become WOKE madrassas

Sex education should also, I believe, be given at home. Not by some stranger to a group of 20/30 awkward teens. Is there nothing that people don’t try and palm off to the state these days??

Agreed. Sex education should be given at home. In fact, it should be given in wider society in general. And not just education on the physical act of sex itself, but education on different types of sexual orientation.

This can be done be celebrating the previously (and in a lot of cases, currently) oppressed sexual orientations in public. Like lighting up a soccer stadium with the Pride flag.

Heterosexuality is promoted in literally every facet of life, you just might not view it as such.
    Breathing is also promoted in literally every facet of life - damn breathing creatures everywhere!

What exactly is "this stuff" you speak of?

This law is far more reaching than just stopping kids transition or whatever it is that you appear to be ok with.

This law bans anything that the government deem "promotes" homosexuality to under 18s. So teachers for example may not be able to say to a class that being gay is ok, that being in a gay relationship is ok.

LGBT youth are ~2x as likely to attempt suicide as heterosexual youth are.

You honestly think that a 16 year old in Hungary questioning their sexuality won't be adversely affected by this law?

Kids don't need to be taught morality in school, leave that to their parents

Telling kids that " being gay is OK " or that it is not OK is a morality lesson

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The way the education system is being infiltrated by progressives, I would urge anyone who can afford it to send their kids to private schools

This is a good idea.

If you wish to hide your children from the wider world, if you wish to instill hate-filled ideas in your children and you want to ensure that your children are only exposed to the ideas that you yourself and those who agree with you hold, then send them to a private school.

They can keep their hate in private and nobody needs to listen to them. I like this idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

362177.jpg?b64lines=IE9oLCB3b24ndCBzb21lYm9keSBwbGVhc2UKIHRoaW5rIG9mIHRoZSBjaGlsZHJlbj8g

It’s not even Pride that’s tiresome. It’s the corporatisation of it. It used to be a great festival, not it’s a series of adverts for Axa, PTSB etc showing how progressive they are and to drum up business. I was at one on Oxford Street in Sydney that was absolutely great craic.

An An Post flyer arrived here yesterday with "Pride " stuff attached

This is a good idea.

If you wish to hide your children from the wider world, if you wish to instill hate-filled ideas in your children and you want to ensure that your children are only exposed to the ideas that you yourself and those who agree with you hold, then send them to a private school.

They can keep their hate in private and nobody needs to listen to them. I like this idea!

Don't be so hysterical

zom wrote: »
    Breathing is also promoted in literally every facet of life - damn breathing creatures everywhere!

And, just like breathing, being gay is natural and the ideas should not be oppressed.

Yes, of course it was. Shure everyone knows nuns are mad for promoting that young people should be riding rings around each other. We were basically told that a man puts a seed in a woman’s tummy and that’s where babies come from, but he can’t do it until they are married.

It should be pointed out that the entire nothing happens to marriage style of sex education has been shown to be utterly pointless and ineffective (largely just leading to higher rates of teen pregnancy because teenagers weren't taught properly).

Not teaching things doesn't stop it happening and I have no idea why you would cite a failed policy as to why this is a good thing. Your example of the nun's style of teaching shows exactly why the Hungarian law is pointless at anything but harming LGBT teenagers.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22022362/

• Advertisement

Homosexuality was never promoted to me in school. Who do I sue? I’ve quite a few gay friends who are the same age or older, they also never had homosexuality promoted to them. Why does it need to be promoted? It’s not a closing down sale or a film premiere. Heterosexuality wasn’t exactly promoted either. Sex Ed was basically a nun telling us we’d to wait until marriage to have babies.

They knew they were gay, some from a young age, others as they got older. Some were happy to come out, some were nervous about it. Homosexuality isn’t against the law in Hungary.

And a couple of decades ago it was a hell of a lot harder to deal with cause supports weren't available and education was lacking. It was treated as Taboo and it had a huge impact on society by doing so. That is what Hungary is doing.

Munich city officials decided whether to illuminate other landmarks instead, including a wind turbine adjacent to the arena (https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40319936.html):
    https://twitter.com/espn/status/1407340047620362260

Kids don't need to be taught morality in school, leave that to their parents

Telling kids that " being gay is OK " or that it is not OK is a morality lesson

So to tease this line of thinking out a bit - schools should never mention or tackle the subject of racism with kids? As again, this is just a morality lesson?

If a kid is a victim of racist remarks - does a teacher step in? It's a morality lesson after all.

So to tease this line of thinking out a bit - schools should never mention or tackle the subject of racism with kids? As again, this is just a morality lesson?

If a kid is a victim of racist remarks - does a teacher step in? It's a morality lesson after all.

In fairness, based on a lot of poster's histories. I'd imagine they hold such a view..

It's also important to point out that soccer is a notoriously hostile place for gay men. Being gay is simply not accepted within the game. It's no coincidence that there are currently ZERO openly gay professional footballers anywhere in Europe.

Premier League teams, for example, will have 50+ professionals on their books between the first team, underage teams etc. That's 1000+ men in that league across the 20 teams.

There are 3 more professional leagues in England with 72 more teams.

Then consider the teams elsewhere across Europe. Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal............ every European country. How many professional footballers do you think there are.

And NONE of them have come out as gay? Why do you think that is.

Promoting diversity in football is important, not only for wider society but for those involved in the game itself.

that would fall under school bullying which of course should warrant the intervention of a teacher

kids bully in school for any number of things , placing one form of bullying above another and making it political is not a good idea ,I realise the progressives are itching to have " white privilege " taught to young kids too but many parents oppose such ideological indoctrination , the state is intrusive enough as it is in this country

that would fall under school bullying which of course should warrant the intervention of a teacher

kids bully in school for any number of things , placing one form of bullying above another and making it political is not a good idea

If one kid says something homophobic to the other, is that school bullying?

In Hungary, you can't "promote" homosexuality. So a teacher may feel they can't reprimand a kid saying something homophobic, or anti-gay, because if they do that, well then can't that be construed as promoting homosexuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Get over yourselves !!, no one cares what you do with your genitals - really

I don't know. I had this discussion with a friend of mine from the legal profession. I told him that it was none of his business what I did with mine. He was adamant that it was his business. I tried telling him it wasn't but he just got more and more angry.

Well .... I say friend of mine from the legal profession .... I mean judge. That makes it worse if you ask me. I mean a man of his training shouldn't be getting so unreasonably angry and shouting "This is a court of law Mr. Trump. Now put it away before I hold you in contempt"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Fully support UEFA here. Hope they don't bow down to this kind of fascism. The more times these groups force others to do what they say the worse they get.

Everyone has the right to say nothing and shouldn't be forced to get involved in social activism by being hounded into it.

• Advertisement

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Fully support UEFA here. Hope they don't bow down to this kind of fascism. The more times these groups force others to do what they say the worse they get.

Everyone has the right to say nothing and shouldn't be forced to get involved in social activism by being hounded into it.

First we have people saying it is a meaningless gesture. Now others are saying that the show of unity is forcing others to do something (I am not really sure what it is forcing anyone to do admittedly).

Advertisement