Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Similar issues with my power supply. The big 450V/150uF cap 'leaked' on the board. I replaced the cap with a new one, but still no lights on the front panel. I'm wondering if the failed cap may have caused damage to other components on the board....
    That said, do you know any place who may have the know-how to repair the board, or, where I can purchase a replacement PSU.

Other users have suggested a 12V, 5A power unit works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

Other users have suggested a 12V, 5A power unit works fine.

I never even thought about that idea - great one - Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mousie32

Hi folks, quick question - I'm just trying to figure out which box to buy. I have two cables from my dish so that is the satellite part sorted. I will have one cable for my terrestrial signal for Saorview. However, we would watch and record a good bit of the Irish channels and I understand about the mux etc. If I where to get a 2x DVB-T box and just split the terrestrial cable near the box would this work to record to different channels on different mux? Alternatively I could get the Zgemma HS7, split the cable, one into the DVB-T and the other into a USB-TV Tuner? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have the H7s which is setup and use box for recording many things and if recording on Saorview and needed to watch a different channel my tv has a Saorview tuner which i can use instead.

If buying a usb tuner it needs to be supported with the correct driver downloaded to box.

Yes you should be able to split an aerial feed.

There is much more content to record on sat than aerial.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I have the H7s which is setup and use box for recording many things and if recording on Saorview and needed to watch a different channel my tv has a Saorview tuner which i can use instead.

If buying a usb tuner it needs to be supported with the correct driver downloaded to box.

Yes you should be able to split an aerial feed.

There is much more content to record on sat than aerial.

Hi greasepalm,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think my TV supports Saorview [JVC LT-50C550] that's why I need to use the box.

I know there is more to record on sat but we only seen to record kids shows on Cbeebies. While on the irish channels I could be recording sport and the wife would want to record something else on at the same time.

Is the H7s handy to use, i.e. series link etc. I dont mind a bit of faffing about but the wife won't use it if it is not handy.

• Advertisement

Further to the above - just checked an the tv has a digital tuner so there is a possibility that I could get Saorview through it. Getting a new aerial installed later so will check then!

Series link as unsure but when setting a recording for a show i would be given a choice of record once or weekly and hoping time does not change and have recorded many things and still on hdd.
    I might have a 1 or 2 tb hdd installed.

Mousie32 wrote: »
    Hi greasepalm,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think my TV supports Saorview [JVC LT-50C550] that's why I need to use the box.

I know there is more to record on sat but we only seen to record kids shows on Cbeebies. While on the irish channels I could be recording sport and the wife would want to record something else on at the same time.

Is the H7s handy to use, i.e. series link etc. I dont mind a bit of faffing about but the wife won't use it if it is not handy.

Once you have it tweaked, it is as user friendly as Sky+ ever was. I use AutoBouquetMaker, EPGRefresh and AutoTimer on my Tiviar, these are also available for the H7. Once these are configured properly, the box should take care of itself - managing channel changes etc., automatically.

With the above there is a proper 7 day program guide, and you can set recordings directly from that. For example, Wifey likes her soaps, and they record every episode, without any problem. Even better, she manages all her own recordings, without needing any help.

I use a USB terrestrial tuner, to avoid recording conflicts. using one of those with the H7 you could record multiple Irish channels, while watching another. I found it well worthwhile having the second tuner, to avoid faffing about changing between the tv and the box. (Ok, ok, keeping Wifey happy �� )

Once you have it tweaked, it is as user friendly as Sky+ ever was. I use AutoBouquetMaker, EPGRefresh and AutoTimer on my Tiviar, these are also available for the H7. Once these are configured properly, the box should take care of itself - managing channel changes etc., automatically.

With the above there is a proper 7 day program guide, and you can set recordings directly from that. For example, Wifey likes her soaps, and they record every episode, without any problem. Even better, she manages all her own recordings, without needing any help.

I use a USB terrestrial tuner, to avoid recording conflicts. using one of those with the H7 you could record multiple Irish channels, while watching another. I found it well worthwhile having the second tuner, to avoid faffing about changing between the tv and the box. (Ok, ok, keeping Wifey happy �� )

Hi thanks for the reply, what USB tuner do you have? Might pull the trigger and get the h7s. I think the two terrestrial tuners is the way to go. Bit of reading to do now to get your image installed and that - thanks by the way. Happy wife, happy life!

Happy wife happy life ,just wait as you can put messages up on laptop and they appear on tv screen:eek::eek::D:D

• Advertisement

Actually see a Tiviar with 1TB hard drive for sale here:- https://freesat.ie/products/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo-with-1tb-hard-drive.

Is there much of a difference between this and h7s? Obviously can get the h7s cheaper?

Tiviar is an old box Zgemma h7s is newer

2 year warranty on the zgemma h7s

Look here

https://www.satworld.ie/zgemma-h7s-4k-uhd-1tb.html

Mousie32 wrote: »
    Actually see a Tiviar with 1TB hard drive for sale here:- https://freesat.ie/products/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo-with-1tb-hard-drive.

Is there much of a difference between this and h7s? Obviously can get the h7s cheaper?

As greasepalm says, the Tiviar is now quite old. If I were buying now I'd buy the h7s.

My image is based on OpenATV 6.3. I've explained how to configure any box, earlier on this thread. Having said that, if I was starting again I'd use OpenVix. The latest versions of OpenATV (6.4+) appear targeted at the German market. I found them more trouble than they're worth to configure for general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

What make or model USB tuner are you using? I can't receive Saorview channels from an indoor aerial, so, does that mean that the USB aerial might have the same result?

Using an indoor aerial and setting it up to your nearest transmitter as i used a 3" aerial for mine which is 3rock.

Usb tuner needs driver downloaded from feeds to match your tuner and box rebooted to be seen and used.

What make or model USB tuner are you using? I can't receive Saorview channels from an indoor aerial, so, does that mean that the USB aerial might have the same result?
    The USB tuner I use was bought from China, many years ago, for a couple of euro.
    Any dongle with a rtl2832 chipset, such as this one, should be fine. If you search the threads there are suggestions for cheaper alternatives. You then need to download the rtl2832 driver, from the repository.

My dongle has similar sensitivity to my TV, so it looks like you will need an external aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Where's the best option these days for a H7S?....I know WOS remove VAT but then with Irish VAT/Customs/fee etc coming upon delivery...is it better to get from Satworld?

Satworld looking a bit more expensive but at a guaranteed price!

Any recommendations?

Darando wrote: »
    Where's the best option these days for a H7S?....I know WOS remove VAT but then with Irish VAT/Customs/fee etc coming upon delivery...is it better to get from Satworld?

Satworld looking a bit more expensive but at a guaranteed price!

Any recommendations?

It's your call, but I would go with an Irish supplier. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

I think I've messed up....how can I go back to the way it was after first flashing NewClareman's image? I don't thing I have the latest image flashed so I might flash that and solve a lot of problems together. I do notice a settings backup tar.gz on his Google Drive though.

What image did you download to box.

• Advertisement

VanZan wrote: »
    I think I've messed up....how can I go back to the way it was after first flashing NewClareman's image? I don't thing I have the latest image flashed so I might flash that and solve a lot of problems together. I do notice a settings backup tar.gz on his Google Drive though.

I would suggest just flashing my latest image. However, there is no harm trying the settings backup, first. (I intended the settings backup for people with other boxes, who want to try my settings. Further info, if you search this thread.)

Yeah flashing the March image sorted things. What prompted me to start tinkering in the first place was ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 giving a black screen. So I pressed the red button (for all channels), found them there and they're working but if I add them to the Bouquet will they get removed at the next ABM scan? Speaking of which I also tried to start a ABM scan but got a Tuner B scan error. I reckon I have wires going in the wrong inputs.

This is a relative's setup by the way. I have Virgin so I'm not familiar with the Tiviar on an everyday basis but trying to help!

Yeah flashing the March image sorted things. What prompted me to start tinkering in the first place was ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 giving a black screen. So I pressed the red button (for all channels), found them there and they're working but if I add them to the Bouquet will they get removed at the next ABM scan? Speaking of which I also tried to start a ABM scan but got a Tuner B scan error. I reckon I have wires going in the wrong inputs.

This is a relative's setup by the way. I have Virgin so I'm not familiar with the Tiviar on an everyday basis but trying to help!

Don't add them manually, just do an ABM scan and the restart the GUI to flush the cache.

Lol I had a look at the Tiviar manual and realised I hadn't the included loop through cable installed. So I put that on, re-flashed your image again and then did an ABM scan (no Tuner B error this time because I had the loop through cable on). The ITV channels (think they're numbered 17, 18, 19) under "Our Favorites" still don't work (black screen) but the ones under the two "Entertainment" bouquets work fine so that's good enough.

The only option I changed was to enable HDMI-CEC.

Lol I had a look at the Tiviar manual and realised I hadn't the included loop through cable installed. So I put that on, re-flashed your image again and then did an ABM scan (no Tuner B error this time because I had the loop through cable on). The ITV channels (think they're numbered 17, 18, 19) under "Our Favorites" still don't work (black screen) but the ones under the two "Entertainment" bouquets work fine so that's good enough.

The only option I changed was to enable HDMI-CEC.

Ok. I'm away, so the following is from memory...

You need to configure the the tuner settings to loop through, when using A legacy LNB, with only one feed. This is not necessary with a Unicable LNB.

Favourites have to be manually updated, as they are not managed by ABM. First delete the old version of the ITV Channels. When tuned into the new version you can add it to favourites, using the remote or WebIF. If you search the posts you'll find how to add, using the remote.

Can I use a regular 2.5" HDD in this or would an AV hard drive be more suitable? Also are those wifi adapters definitely a bad idea? I see posts from you saying they lock up the Tiviar. Shame.

Can I use a regular 2.5" HDD in this or would an AV hard drive be more suitable? Also are those wifi adapters definitely a bad idea? I see posts from you saying they lock up the Tiviar. Shame.

Regular HDD are fine, IF you turn off permanent timeshift. (Personally I find permanent timeshift invaluable.)

WiFi adapters don't lock up the Tiviar, but the WiFi link itself locks up. What does work are Powerline adapters and WiFi extenders with a LAN socket.

Guess there's no way to put in a small USB drive with a movie on it and play it simply.

Regular HDD are fine, IF you turn off permanent timeshift. (Personally I find permanent timeshift invaluable.).

Is permanent timeshift enabled by default? I had a look in settings and was confused by the different terminology. I'm thinking it's not because "autorecord" is set to no. But I can still pause live TV so....

• Advertisement

Guess there's no way to put in a small USB drive with a movie on it and play it simply.

Yes i am sure you can stick in a usb stick with movies on it without having to mount it and view.
    You should also be able to play movies on pc to view and thinking it might have to be mounted to view and play your files.

Advertisement