Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

neilc wrote: »
    Hi NCM,
    I flashed to your latest image today.
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I have some sort of virus picked up but a couple of minutes after upgrading this DXAndy thing is automatically set.
    https://flic.kr/p/2kJGQZ3
    The epg then changes to this.
    https://flic.kr/p/2kJGRip
    Also ABM is missing from the plugin menu.
    Any ideas would be gratefully received?

Something must have gone wrong with the backup I made. (I was in a hurry and didn't verify it, sorry.) That DXAndy thing comes by default with recent versions of OpenATV, including online 'clean installs', from the online repository. It changes the EPG to German versions and, even when removed, it is a PITA to roll back the changes. It shouldn't even be in that image, as I removed it and all the bouquets it created. My image also includes ABM.

I'll post a new backup, as soon as I can. Done.

Update:

I checked that image locally and it is fine. Just to be sure I've removed the uploaded copy and uploaded a new one, with todays date.

All I can think of is that you selected the wrong option when doing the online flash.

Flashing Image

What I recommend, with my build is:

Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - Software management - Flash Online - Browse to location with my image - Green Button (Flash Image) - Select 2 (just flash and start clean)...

When you've flashed the image, update the provider files in ABM, input your Saorview Transmitter details in ABM, and do a scan within ABM.
    Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - Reception - ...
    • Update provider files, first.
    • Now use Providers menu to input Saorview region
    • Then Start Scan

If you can't connect to the internet during setup, just skip the step on updating provider files. There is a small risk that your local Saorview transmitter won't be listed in ABM. (Where a new Saorview transmitter has been commissioned recently.) In this case use the DVB-T frequency finder, within ABM, instead.)

The EPG will automatically populate, over time. However, you can force an immediate update:
    Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - EPG - EPGRefresh - Yellow Button (Functions) - Refresh Now (The refresh takes a few minutes, so be patient.)

For those who like to tinker: Just to note that changing any other settings in ABM, or EPGRefresh, is very likely to break this build. If your having difficulties with the EPG, you can turn on CrossEPG. You can also use CrossEPG to quickly load the EPG, when starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi, just wondering where do I go to get the image for the Tiviar box?

Does the Tiviar need to be connected to the internet?

Are there instructions on how to set up the Tiviar?

Also do I need 2 coax from the dish and one coax from aerial?

I am very limited when it comes to setting up this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Start at page 1 of this thread its all neatly laid out, like a good book.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Cool thanks, one more question regarding remote control. My remote is broken, will a universal remote work or where can I hey another Tiviar remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Cool thanks, one more question regarding remote control. My remote is broken, will a universal remote work or where can I hey another Tiviar remote?

Try here

• Advertisement

Hi, just wondering where do I go to get the image for the Tiviar box?

See the link in the first post, use the latest image.
    Does the Tiviar need to be connected to the internet?
    No, it works fine as a basic TV box, without internet connectivity. If you can't connect to the internet during setup, just skip the step on updating provider files. However, there are rare cases where this could cause an issue. For example where a new Saorview transmitter has been commissioned, but not configured in the ABM provider files, you wouldn't be able to select it. (In that particular case you would DVB-T frequency finder instead.)
    Are there instructions on how to set up the Tiviar?
    I've provided updated instructions a few posts back. The steps there will get you up and running.
    Also do I need 2 coax from the dish and one coax from aerial?
    Only with legacy LNB's. You only need a single cable with modern Unicable LNB's. (You also need a splitter to connect to both tuners. )
    If you decide to go with Unicable, you might have to buy it from the likes of Amazon, as few suppliers have them in Ireland.
    I am very limited when it comes to setting up this kind of thing.
    We all had to learn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

Hi,

Thank you to all who created this thread and all the information in it. I previously tried to set up an Edison OSMega and gave up in frustration.

I now have a working Tivar box. Had a few missteps along the way but have learned a bit along the way. I have learned to connect using putty (but not much else) and how to use OpenWebif to alter the “My favourites TV” bouquet.

I have read most if not all of the thread, some of which is beyond my technical ability's!
    ­
    There are a few things that have me stumped:

Picons- I cant find “Dsayers_Picon_updater-SNP-Picon_Updater” under picons or elsewhere. I have attempted to copy the picon folder onto the hard disc using putty without success. I cannot see the Tivar on the “Network” on my computer so there is something I am doing wrong there.

I would like to have just the one bouquet so that when I hit EPG it goes directly to the EPG rather than a choice of bouquets. How can I do this?

I had switched off (standby?) the box and plugged it out to put it into its permanent position. When I switched it back on it would not boot and I had to re flash it. Thankfully this time I had a back up! Is it normal for it to require a reflash due to a loss of power?
    We usually have a short power loss every month or two and this will be a major obstacle if this happens when I am not around!

Again many thanks for all the hard work.

intro wrote: »
    Picons- I cant find “Dsayers_Picon_updater-SNP-Picon_Updater” under picons or elsewhere. I have attempted to copy the picon folder onto the hard disc using putty without success. I cannot see the Tivar on the “Network” on my computer so there is something I am doing wrong there.

I hadn't realised “Dsayers_Picon_updater-SNP-Picon_Updater” was missing. I've uploaded the ipk online. Put it in the root directory of a USB, plug it in, and you should get the option to install it.
    I have attempted to copy the picon folder onto the hard disc using putty without success. I cannot see the Tivar on the “Network” on my computer so there is something I am doing wrong there.

Go into Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - System - CIFS/Samba Setup and start Samba, you'll see the Tiviar after a minute or two. (It sometimes stops, I don't know why.) Autostart should be enabled, if not, enable it.
    I would like to have just the one bouquet so that when I hit EPG it goes directly to the EPG rather than a choice of bouquets. How can I do this?
    There are many ways to achieve this. The easiest way is to go into ABM and deselect all the Bouquets, run a scan and then turn off ABM. That way you can turn them on again, any time you wish.
    Is it normal for it to require a reflash due to a loss of power?
    It is not normal, I would not have thought it possible for a power loss to corrupt the firmware. I wonder whether it was just coincidence. Some people have reported issues with the power supply on the box and it sometimes not starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Something must have gone wrong with the backup I made. (I was in a hurry and didn't verify it, sorry.) That DXAndy thing comes by default with recent versions of OpenATV, including online 'clean installs', from the online repository. It changes the EPG to German versions and, even when removed, it is a PITA to roll back the changes. It shouldn't even be in that image, as I removed it and all the bouquets it created. My image also includes ABM.

I'll post a new backup, as soon as I can. Done.

Update:

I checked that image locally and it is fine. Just to be sure I've removed the uploaded copy and uploaded a new one, with todays date.

All I can think of is that you selected the wrong option when doing the online flash.

Flashing Image

What I recommend, with my build is:

Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - Software management - Flash Online - Browse to location with my image - Green Button (Flash Image) - Select 2 (just flash and start clean)...

When you've flashed the image, update the provider files in ABM, input your Saorview Transmitter details in ABM, and do a scan within ABM.
    Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - Reception - ...
    • Update provider files, first.
    • Now use Providers menu to input Saorview region
    • Then Start Scan

If you can't connect to the internet during setup, just skip the step on updating provider files. There is a small risk that your local Saorview transmitter won't be listed in ABM. (Where a new Saorview transmitter has been commissioned recently.) In this case use the DVB-T frequency finder, within ABM, instead.)

The EPG will automatically populate, over time. However, you can force an immediate update:
    Menu - Blue Button - Setup - 0000 - EPG - EPGRefresh - Yellow Button (Functions) - Refresh Now (The refresh takes a few minutes, so be patient.)

For those who like to tinker: Just to note that changing any other settings in ABM, or EPGRefresh, is very likely to break this build. If your having difficulties with the EPG, you can turn on CrossEPG. You can also use CrossEPG to quickly load the EPG, when starting out.
    Tried again this evening with no luck, I definitely did something wrong.
    I saved your image to hdd/images and even put it on a usb but don't seem to be getting an option to browse to it. The only options I'm getting is as per flickr link. https://flic.kr/p/2kK6kqf

Tried again this evening with no luck, I definitely did something wrong.
    I saved your image to hdd/images and even put it on a usb but don't seem to be getting an option to browse to it. The only options I'm getting is as per flickr link. https://flic.kr/p/2kK6kqf

It is definitely in the right directory. The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like the name I gave it. Rename it to: "openatv-6.3-tiviaraplus-backup-20210311_1356_usb.zip" which is the original name. Let me know how you get on, so I can rename the file online, if necessary.

Update
    Just checked and OpenATV did not recognise the changed filename. I suspect that they have implemented more strict parsing.

• Advertisement

It is definitely in the right directory. The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like the name I gave it. Rename it to: "openatv-6.3-tiviaraplus-backup-20210311_1356_usb.zip" which is the original name. Let me know how you get on, so I can rename the file online, if necessary.
    Thanks NCM, no that didn't work, you've been very good with your time.
    I'll leave it for a day or two, not sure if it'll do anything but might erase the hdd and try again on a clean disk.

Thanks NCM, no that didn't work, you've been very good with your time.
    I'll leave it for a day or two, not sure if it'll do anything but might erase the hdd and try again on a clean disk.

There was definitely a problem with the file name - it wasn't recognised, until I changed it back. Check again that you renamed it correctly, particularly that there isn't a second .zip, in the renamed file name.

There was definitely a problem with the file name - it wasn't recognised, until I changed it back. Check again that you renamed it correctly, particularly that there isn't a second .zip, in the renamed file name.
    Legend NCM, copied the name directly from your last post and renamed it. Had to delete a file from the downloaded section first with the yellow button and then your file showed up.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Is it normal for it to require a reflash due to a loss of power?

My Tiviar was the same after a power off scenario it would fail to light up or show any signs of life. I found if you left it powered on then after a period of anything from 10 to 30 mins it would come back to life. It seems to be a precursor to a failing power supply. My Tiviar eventually kept crashing/freezing despite multiple reflashes. I eventually replaced the PSU for about €25 which you can read about on the thread above. If you can wire a plug you could replace it if need be.

You can find more info on THIS thread

a clanger wrote: »
    My Tiviar was the same after a power off scenario it would fail to light up or show any signs of life. I found if you left it powered on then after a period of anything from 10 to 30 mins it would come back to life. It seems to be a precursor to a failing power supply.

Yeah, that is a classic symptom of a failing electrolytic capacitor. Over time it can build up enough charge to fire the PSU. Unless you have the equipment, and ability, it is not an easy fix. Using a replacement power supply seems the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

I had switched off (standby?) the box and plugged it out to put it into its permanent position. When I switched it back on it would not boot and I had to re flash it.

It is not normal, I would not have thought it possible for a power loss to corrupt the firmware. I wonder whether it was just coincidence. Some people have reported issues with the power supply on the box and it sometimes not starting.

My Tiviar was the same after a power off scenario it would fail to light up or show any signs of life.

It switches on OK, lights etc OK, but goes into “booting” followed by “alphaplus” (or something similar). It then just hangs there.
    I think the longest I left it would have been about ten minutes.

It does the same if I select “reboot” from the Standby/ Restart menu.

Is there any chance that it is some setting that I have changed? (he says hopefully!).

Thanks for all the help. Picons working. ABM deselected, scanned etc. All working.

I must try to “copy” your build to to try to get the Edison OSMega up and running. I assume that if I use the same Plugin’s from the plugin browser and copy the settings it should work.

It switches on OK, lights etc OK, but goes into “booting” followed by “alphaplus” (or something similar). It then just hangs there.
    I think the longest I left it would have been about ten minutes.

It does the same if I select “reboot” from the Standby/ Restart menu.

Is there any chance that it is some setting that I have changed? (he says hopefully!)
    Changing settings, or installing additional plugins, could cause this. Only way to be sure is to run an unmodified version of my image, which is stable as I set it up, or do a clean install of OpenATV.
    I must try to “copy” your build to to try to get the Edison OSMega up and running. I assume that if I use the same Plugin’s from the plugin browser and copy the settings it should work.

Make a settings backup on the Tiviar. Do a clean install of OpenATV 6.3/6.4 on the Edison OSMega. Restore the settings backup from the Tiviar and it should download the correct version of all available plugins from the feed. You can then add any missing plugins, manually. The only plugin that didn't load automatically for me, on a different box, was Movie Organisor. You can download the ipk from my link, if necessary. It is not the most recent version, so update it, once installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

Hi Everyone, I received my Zgemma HS7 from Amazon Germany on Tuesday...I've gone through the thread but can't seem to find what I need to do in order to get this up and running with Image that everyone has (OpenViX)

can someone share the steps with me by private message or indeed update the sticky for those unlucky to get the box from other sources others than WoS due to Brexit etc.

Thanks in advance

Bards wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I received my Zgemma HS7 from Amazon Germany on Tuesday...I've gone through the thread but can't seem to find what I need to do in order to get this up and running with Image that everyone has (OpenViX)

can someone share the steps with me by private message or indeed update the sticky for those unlucky to get the box from other sources others than WoS due to Brexit etc.

Thanks in advance

This thread relates to a specific build for general family use, based on OpenATV. While I use the Tiviar, you can also use the Zgemma HS7 by using the steps I gave a couple of posts ago.

I have no knowledge of OpenVix, as I don't use it. There is a general thread on the Zgemma HS7 and you should ask any questions relating to OpenVix there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Hi,

I have the original remote and 2 spare tiviar remotes and none are working either through the eyes or directly in front of the box. Has anyone ever seen this before. Can the tiviar remote be re-paired to the receiver somehow. All I am getting is how to pair the remote to a tv.

I am using dream app on the phone which is fine but really need to sort this going forward.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the original remote and 2 spare tiviar remotes and none are working either through the eyes or directly in front of the box. Has anyone ever seen this before. Can the tiviar remote be re-paired to the receiver somehow. All I am getting is how to pair the remote to a tv.

I am using dream app on the phone which is fine but really need to sort this going forward.

Thanks in advance

There is nothing in the original Fortis Manual about pairing the remote to the receiver, so I doubt that this is possible. The first thing I would do is put in new batteries, there have been reports online of problems with batteries. Another suggestion I can think of is to pair each remote to a TV, to verify it is working ok.

I have had problems with the Tiviar being unresponsive to the remote, when it is very busy. If you have added additional plugins it is possible that one of these is hogging resources and causing your problem. To check this you could reflash the box, using my image or a clean install using an image downloaded online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Hi all. My Tiviar box has gone a bit haywire, It has been turned off for the last few days as i was away with work and now the skin that i had on it had gone! Im running Openatv 6.1 is this the latest version? I remember setting it up before with picons etc and updating it but im at a loss now of how to do it again.
    I have Filezilla downloaded, my Tiviar is connected to my router as is my laptop yet when I put the network details in it wont connect. Id appericate if someone could guide my along to the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No its 6.3 or 6.4 as well moved on from 6.1.

greasepalm wrote: »
    No its 6.3 or 6.4 as well moved on from 6.1.
    Thank you, is Filezilla still the prefared way to connect my laptop to the box.

Yes i still use filezilla client

Payton wrote: »
    Thank you, is Filezilla still the prefared way to connect my laptop to the box.

I just use windows explorer, you can see the Tiviar under network. :)

Payton wrote: »
    I have Filezilla downloaded, my Tiviar is connected to my router as is my laptop yet when I put the network details in it wont connect. Id appericate if someone could guide my along to the latest version.

The latest stable version of OpenATV is 6.4, but I use 6.3. (I tried 6.4 but I couldn't connect using windows explorer, so I went back to 6.3.)

Was the reason you could not connect to it be that you need to put a password on box and entered also on filezilla.

Think all new images for security now need password entered on box and entered in ftp to make connection.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Was the reason you could not connect to it be that you need to put a password on box and entered also on filezilla.

Think all new images for security now need password entered on box and entered in ftp to make connection.

I don't use FileZilla, just drag and drop using windows explorer. I already used a password but it refused to connect using explorer/Samba. I could connect using terminal or Putty, but I wasn't interested in going down that road.

• Advertisement

The latest stable version of OpenATV is 6.4, but I use 6.3. (I tried 6.4 but I couldn't connect using windows explorer, so I went back to 6.3.)
    Thank you for the reply. Can I add version 6.3 through Windows explorer? as I have been trying to use a USB key as per "How to flash a Tiviar Alpha+" from WOS and the USB is not kicking in to load the 6.3

Advertisement