Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was behind a 211 reg Tacyan 4S coming back from Dollymount Strand with the dog on Thursday. Have to say it looked better in the flesh than it does in the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting perspective.

tldw: great driving experience except for the crappy infotainment system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

All charged up for a days driving ...

IMG-0506.jpg

Friend picked one up recently, can’t wait to get a spin in it.

How did you find Porsche Dublin to deal with? I was considering getting a Cayman a few years ago, they wouldn’t allow test drives, the guy I spoke to said most buyers were repeat customers and that I should try Porsche Belfast if I wanted to drive one. My friend has had a couple of Porsches and wasn’t surprised when I told him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Dav010 wrote: »
    Friend picked one up recently, can’t wait to get a spin in it.

How did you find Porsche Dublin to deal with? I was considering getting a Cayman a few years ago, they wouldn’t allow test drives, the guy I spoke to said most buyers were repeat customers and that I should try Porsche Belfast if I wanted to drive one. My friend has had a couple of Porsches and wasn’t surprised when I told him.

How do first time buyers get in the door? Are they all so eager to buy that they’re happy without a test drive?

markpb wrote: »
    How do first time buyers get in the door? Are they all so eager to buy that they’re happy without a test drive?

I asked the same thing. He said the best they would do is passenger seat while salesman drove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

I found them great – both this time and my original Porsche purchase.

I found them great – both this time and my original Porsche purchase.

Strange, maybe I just got a newbie. He literally told me to go to Belfast for a test drive and come back to him if I wanted to place the order.

Strange, maybe I just got a newbie. He literally told me to go to Belfast for a test drive and come back to him if I wanted to place the order.

I defo didn't get that – thankfully – that would be frustrating – and post Brexit – likely financially upsetting.

I defo didn't get that – thankfully – that would be frustrating – and post Brexit – likely financially upsetting.

This was about 4 yrs ago.

I'm guessing here – but from waiting in reception for service items – I think they do get a lot of tyre kickers. Its understandable – under the showroom lights all those cars are very shiny. I'm a sucker for them myself and I have Porsches :-)

If they gave everybody who wants a "go" in a Porsche they'd be at it all day – so they have to try and figure out who are real potential buyers or not. I heard someone once say – this is a Porsche shop – not a Porsche experience centre. I see it as a blend – a Porsche experience centre but only for buyers.

I think they like people to come in and look at the cars – but not take them out for drives.

So they are probably trying to figure out who are buyers and who aren't all the time. And who knows what the "formula" is? For example, I'm younger then many buyers – and am a IT engineer (hoodie, sneakers) – got the capital for buying these cars from selling (out :-)) my SAAS business.

Sounds like they guessed wrong with you or something. I don't think its about being "snobby" – I think its about optimising their time and sometimes getting it wrong.

If I could order these over the web, I would. That will happen. The "dealer" dance is on a timer. That said, my sales person at Porsche Centre has really helped me spec my cars and I really value their experience at doing it. They help me make great choices.

Probably right, I tend to change cars on impulse, he had no way of knowing that. The last couple, I dropped cars for service and ended up buying new ones that I test drove while waiting.

• Advertisement

Probably right, I tend to change cars on impulse, he had no way of knowing that. The last couple, I dropped cars for service and ended up buying new ones that I test drove while waiting.

That's how I ended up with Taycan. "Do you want to sit in the new Taycan while we take a look at your car?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

my sales person at Porsche Centre has really helped me spec my cars and I really value their experience at doing it. They help me make great choices spend loads of money.

There, fixed that for you :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    There, fixed that for you :D.

For sure. But they've talked me out of expensive options too. They do okay out of me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

For sure. But they've talked me out of expensive options too. They do okay out of me :-)
    I am on my second Porsche purchase from them,waiting for my Taycan due next month.My experience with Joe Duffy Porsche has been mixed, i also find they tend to be somewhat aloof at times but never downright dismissive.One of the salesmen told me how they are forever surprised by the type of potential punters coming in the door.A number of months ago two nerdy scruffy young guys came in and two hours later purchased a 911 and a Panamera turbo.Seems they were after selling their tech company for millions.One of them was waiting to do his driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

lukas8888 wrote: »
    A number of months ago two nerdy scruffy young guys came in and two hours later purchased a 911 and a Panamera turbo.Seems they were after selling their tech company for millions.One of them was waiting to do his driving test.

Maybe that was tigerbalm_eu :p

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe that was tigerbalm_eu :p

I went in alone :-)

I went in alone :-)

After coming across a number of your posts on both Boards and the large Taycan forum it seems we both started with hybrid Panameras and have moved on to full electric Taycans.I am waiting for delivery of my Taycan next month, would you mind comparing the main pros and cons of both models.

After coming across a number of your posts on both Boards and the large Taycan forum it seems we both started with hybrid Panameras and have moved on to full electric Taycans.I am waiting for delivery of my Taycan next month, would you mind comparing the main pros and cons of both models.

Less pros & cons, more observations:

- [ ] Panamera is a car born from 100 years of refinement of the petrol technology, where as the Taycan is at the start of its development cycle.

- [ ] The V8 engine in my Panamera sounds great (with sports exhaust) but the same speed achieved in near silence of the Taycan is also intoxicating.

- [ ] The tech on the Panamera is less sophisticated but more reliable.

- [ ] The Taycan while smaller, it isn't by much – still a tricky enough vehicle to park in tight spaces. Auto parking feature is a bit janky!

- [ ] The Taycan feels much more sport car like in the corners.

- [ ] I prefer having a trunk full of charging cables than a V8.

- [ ] I dropped from a Turbo S Panamera to 4S Taycan and do notice the lower power – its offset by the higher usable power at lower speeds of the Taycan. I am plotting my return to Taycan Turbo S, most likely in 18 months time.

- [ ] I prefer the Neptune Blue and Blackberry interior of my Taycan than the more conservative Volcano Grey and Crayon interior of my Panamera. Colours make a surprising difference to how a car feels. The Taycan has some nice curves and wears brighter colours as well as a 911.

- [ ] I don't know the exact details yet – but service costs are way, way lower on Taycan.

- [ ] Insurance in general is higher, due to being a EV despite my Panamera costing more and having 680hp vs my taycan's 490.

- [ ] Charging for me has been mostly drama free - though its early days.

- [ ] The Taycan interior has more rattles – likely a combination of being super quiet and maybe still a new car being assembled. It's not yet had its decade of manufacturing refinement. My Panamera had zero rattles but was way less refreshing to drive due to engine noise.

- [ ] When I spec a Taycan or play with the configuration I always lean towards all the tech options – and my current car has everything that could be ticked – but when you actually drive the car – a lot of those options don't really matter. I'm glad I also didn't scrimp on the performance options such as Porsche Torque Vectoring, Rear Wheel Steering and PDCC – you do feel these in the corners.

- [ ] The burmester stereo option is really great - especially in a quiet car – but its prob not worth the option price.

- [ ] You don't have to be breaking any laws of speed limits to enjoy the Taycan. In many ways it is at its best on a twisty mountain road under 80km/h – thats one of the things I like best about it. Like the way a really good stereo can sound great at low volumes.

- [ ] I really liked my Panamera but this is better.

Less pros & cons, more observations:

- [ ] Panamera is a car born from 100 years of refinement of the petrol technology, where as the Taycan is at the start of its development cycle.

- [ ] The V8 engine in my Panamera sounds great (with sports exhaust) but the same speed achieved in near silence of the Taycan is also intoxicating.

- [ ] The tech on the Panamera is less sophisticated but more reliable.

- [ ] The Taycan while smaller, it isn't by much – still a tricky enough vehicle to park in tight spaces. Auto parking feature is a bit janky!

- [ ] The Taycan feels much more sport car like in the corners.

- [ ] I prefer having a trunk full of charging cables than a V8.

- [ ] I dropped from a Turbo S Panamera to 4S Taycan and do notice the lower power – its offset by the higher usable power at lower speeds of the Taycan. I am plotting my return to Taycan Turbo S, most likely in 18 months time.

- [ ] I prefer the Neptune Blue and Blackberry interior of my Taycan than the more conservative Volcano Grey and Crayon interior of my Panamera. Colours make a surprising difference to how a car feels. The Taycan has some nice curves and wears brighter colours as well as a 911.

- [ ] I don't know the exact details yet – but service costs are way, way lower on Taycan.

- [ ] Insurance in general is higher, due to being a EV despite my Panamera costing more and having 680hp vs my taycan's 490.

- [ ] Charing for me has been mostly drama free - though its early days.

- [ ] The Taycan interior has more rattles – likely a combination of being super quiet and maybe still a new car being assembled. It's not yet had its decade of manufacturing refinement. My Panamera had zero rattles but was way less refreshing to drive due to engine noise.

- [ ] When I spec a Taycan or play with the configuration I always lean towards all the tech options – and my current car has everything that could be ticked – but when you actually drive the car – a lot of those options don't really matter. I'm glad I also didn't scrimp on the performance options such as Porsche Torque Vectoring, Rear Wheel Steering and PDCC – you do feel these in the corners.

- [ ] The burmester stereo option is really great - especially in a quiet car – but its prob not worth the option price.

- [ ] You don't have to be breaking any laws of speed limits to enjoy the Taycan. In many ways it is at its best on a twisty mountain road under 80km/h – thats one of the things I like best about it. Like the way a really good stereo can sound great at low volumes.

- [ ] I really liked my Panamera but this is better.

Many thanks, very informative.

Many thanks, very informative.

If you share your Porsche Code of your specific build, I'd be happy to share my thoughts based on my experience with those features, etc.

• Advertisement

If you share your Porsche Code of your specific build, I'd be happy to share my thoughts based on my experience with those features, etc.
    Will do, tonight when i arrive back home.
    Mine is the starter RWD.

Hi Tigerbalm, my code

PMCYTMB5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is there much negotiations/discount possible with Joe Duffy Porsche or is it take it or leave it?

Hi Tigerbalm, my code

PMCYTMB5.

Porsche Build Comments on PMCYTMB5

Here are my very subjective comments and observations.

Jet Black Metallic

This is a very classy and classic colour. Its too "quiet" for my personal liking and it will hide some of the Taycan shape. It will however, blend in with the plastic trim elements very well.

Two-Tone Leather Interior, Smooth-Finish Leather, Black/Bordeaux Red

Two-tone full leather interior's are the best in Porsche's. The red is going to work very well with your exterior colour. This is going to be lovely.

SportDesign Front Apron Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Have never seen it in person – it doesn't do enough to the front – or maybe I don't have enough of a "problem" with the standard front – for this to be worth the money for me. I don't think I'm neutral on it – I think I just prefer the look of the standard front.

SportDesign Sideskirts Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

These are great and they make a big difference on my car. With your external colour – I do think you may have got away without this – where they really make a big difference on the lighter colour car. Will be interesting to see in "the flesh".

Electric folding exterior mirrors

Must have in European parking spaces. Nuts that its extra!

Side Window Trims in Black (high-gloss)

100% on this – not a fan of the Chrome. This should be a no-cost option.

Deletion of Model Designation

Almost every deleted model designation is a 4S or lower – so when I see it, I think an owner that really kinda wishes they had the turbo. I vote to wear your designation with pride :-)

Plus, if you disagree, its trivial to take the badge off yourself or get your dealer to do it.

Porsche Electric Sport Sound

Many turn it off – but the people who don't spec it seem to regret it. I love it when on twisty roads. Good move.

Performance Battery Plus

No brainer.

Adaptive Air Suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

I didn't realise these were an option on RWD Taycan's – good move as the car is heavy and this will hide that fact. I'd love to experience a Taycan on steel springs to really appreciate this option.

20-Inch Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels

Same as mine. They are really appropriate for an EV in terms of energy consumption but I don't love them.

Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest

They are a little touch that make a big difference.

ParkAssist including Reversing Camera

You'll use it! I value the surround camera's in mine but the rear camera is used 90% of the time.

Ambient Lighting

I like the ambient lighting on this car – more so than on my Panamera

Comfort Seats in Front (8-Way, electric)

Have never sat in the 8-way so can't comment. I notice these come with no memory package, so great if you're the only driver, otherwise that would be missed.

Steering Wheel Heating (i.c.w. Leather Interior)

It comes on automatically when temperatures get low enough – so you will use it – the Panamera didn't do that so I'd forget sometimes about this option.

Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front Seats) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

One of those silly things that you will enjoy

Audio and communication

I hear its the best BOSE Porsche have put into their cars. I was disappointed in the BOSE in my Panamera so splurged out for the Burmester. The BOSE will be brilliant.

On-Board DC-Charger with 150 kW

Super important option here in Ireland as many of ESB's high speed chargers only work at 400V. You'll use this.

Porsche Build Comments on PMCYTMB5

Here are my very subjective comments and observations.

Jet Black Metallic

This is a very classy and classic colour. Its too "quiet" for my personal liking and it will hide some of the Taycan shape. It will however, blend in with the plastic trim elements very well.

Two-Tone Leather Interior, Smooth-Finish Leather, Black/Bordeaux Red

Two-tone full leather interior's are the best in Porsche's. The red is going to work very well with your exterior colour. This is going to be lovely.

SportDesign Front Apron Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Have never seen it in person – it doesn't do enough to the front – or maybe I don't have enough of a "problem" with the standard front – for this to be worth the money for me. I don't think I'm neutral on it – I think I just prefer the look of the standard front.

SportDesign Sideskirts Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

These are great and they make a big difference on my car. With your external colour – I do think you may have got away without this – where they really make a big difference on the lighter colour car. Will be interesting to see in "the flesh".

Electric folding exterior mirrors

Must have in European parking spaces. Nuts that its extra!

Side Window Trims in Black (high-gloss)

100% on this – not a fan of the Chrome. This should be a no-cost option.

Deletion of Model Designation

Almost every deleted model designation is a 4S or lower – so when I see it, I think an owner that really kinda wishes they had the turbo. I vote to wear your designation with pride :-)

Plus, if you disagree, its trivial to take the badge off yourself or get your dealer to do it.

Porsche Electric Sport Sound

Many turn it off – but the people who don't spec it seem to regret it. I love it when on twisty roads. Good move.

Performance Battery Plus

No brainer.

Adaptive Air Suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

I didn't realise these were an option on RWD Taycan's – good move as the car is heavy and this will hide that fact. I'd love to experience a Taycan on steel springs to really appreciate this option.

20-Inch Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels

Same as mine. They are really appropriate for an EV in terms of energy consumption but I don't love them.

Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest

They are a little touch that make a big difference.

ParkAssist including Reversing Camera

You'll use it! I value the surround camera's in mine but the rear camera is used 90% of the time.

Ambient Lighting

I like the ambient lighting on this car – more so than on my Panamera

Comfort Seats in Front (8-Way, electric)

Have never sat in the 8-way so can't comment. I notice these come with no memory package, so great if you're the only driver, otherwise that would be missed.

Steering Wheel Heating (i.c.w. Leather Interior)

It comes on automatically when temperatures get low enough – so you will use it – the Panamera didn't do that so I'd forget sometimes about this option.

Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front Seats) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

One of those silly things that you will enjoy

Audio and communication

I hear its the best BOSE Porsche have put into their cars. I was disappointed in the BOSE in my Panamera so splurged out for the Burmester. The BOSE will be brilliant.

On-Board DC-Charger with 150 kW

Super important option here in Ireland as many of ESB's high speed chargers only work at 400V. You'll use this.

I greately appreciate the time you have taken to give such an in depth review of my spec. I decided on jet black after first picking cherry red,then chalk as i have not had a black car for over 35 years and over the years and many cars i have by now gone through most colours of the rainbow.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

What do ye guys think of the cross turismo? The only Porsche I have liked since the spyder.

What do ye guys think of the cross turismo? The only Porsche I have liked since the spyder.

I prefer the low shape of my choice,but if i had a number of passengers or young children then i might have reconsidered.I can see how it appeals to a wide range of prospective customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

I prefer the low shape of my choice,but if i had a number of passengers or young children then i might have reconsidered.I can see how it appeals to a wide range of prospective customers.

I think the cross turismo looks better than the normal Taycan. Has that shooting brake look about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If I go for a taycan next it will probably be the cross but I do have young kids if I didn't I'd go for the regular version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Ak_87

Hi All

New Taycan 4s owner here. Happy to answer questions about it also.

I've had it 2 months now and getting 450km to a full charge every time easily, this includes launching it a few time every charge,

Also I'm sure someone will ask "Why i didn't get a Tesla". Personally dont find them very visually appealing and I test drove one and they are quicker than mine (Couldnt justify buying a Turbo S). I just didnt get the same feeling i get driving my taycan.

Thanks

Advertisement