Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit Impact on Northern Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think the principle actor is the fool alot of people like to think he is...

If you mean Johnson, I think at this stage everyone's aware the Bumbling Toff routine is just that; equally though, I think he's a bit of a walking Dunning-Kruger in that beyond the facade that might cause others to underestimate him, there's no actual savvy or smarts behind the act. Only a lust for power or legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

With Brexit, the only issue was employment-related pensions for Eurocrats; the EU doesn't provide anything analogous to social insurance pensions.

The solution adopted was for the UK to accept liability for a percentage of the EU institutions' accrued pension liabilities up to the date of leaving. They don't have particular responsibility for the pensions of Eurocrats of UK nationality; they pay X% of the cost of all Eurocrat pensions accrued up to Brexit date. )X% is the same percentage that the UK paid towards all EU budget items in the years before Brexit.)

That woudn't really work for NI because NI leaving the UK is not really analogous to the UK leaving the EU.

Some UK public sector pensions are funded - e.g. for local government employees. The contributions paid have been invested and there;s a big pot of investments out of which the pensions are paid. That could continue, obviously, or the pension fund could be divided into separate GB and NI funds (in proportion to accrued liabilities). That's a matter for negotiation. (In fact the NI local government pension fund may already be separate from the fund(s) for local government officials in the UK - I haven't checked.)

Other pension liabiltities may not be funded, but paid out of current revenue. Assume that this is true of, say, teachers in NI. The UK government is likely to say that the NI Dept of Education is, duh, an NI government department and, just as its assets will cease to be UK government assets when NI leaves - the UK government won't own the schools - so its liabilities will not be UK government liabilities - the UK government will not pay teachers wages, or former teachers' pensions. The Irish government will step into the shoes of the UK government, both as the ultimate owner of the schools, and as the ultimate payer of the costs of the education service, including pensions. That, at any rate, will be their opening position (I confidently predict).

You can make that argument in relation to employees and retirees of what is obviously an NI institution. Their relationship with that institution will be unchanged; what will change is the relationship between the institution and the central government - one central government steps out, and another steps in. What about NI-based employees and retirees of a UK-wide institution - the army, say? Here the UK is likely to retain responsiblity for paying the pensions, but seek to negotiate about whether NI/IRL should pay a contribution. The answer may vary depending on the institution involved; an Irish contribution to British Army pensions would be as unthinkable now as it was in 1922, but if, say, the Northern Ireland tax districts of the UK Inland Revenue are hived off and either become a separate NI Tax Service or are absorbed in the Revenue Commissioners, shou;d pension liablities accrued by those who worked in those districts (and may still be working in them) be part of the transfer? Again, a matter for negotiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

pixelburp wrote: »
    If you mean Johnson, I think at this stage everyone's aware the Bumbling Toff routine is just that; equally though, I think he's a bit of a walking Dunning-Kruger in that beyond the facade that might cause others to underestimate him, there's no actual savvy or smarts behind the act. Only a lust for power or legacy.

Well he got Brexit done and he deliberately created this current situation..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well he got Brexit done and he deliberately created this current situation..

"Done" is entirely debatable given he/they are now trying to dismantle the very legislation originally agreed that constituted this Brexit "done"ness. Equally, it's one thing to throw the grenade into the room, quite another when it doesn't go off and create the chaos you wish. We've had 4+ years of presuming that, any minute now, those EU types would fold like cheap trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Boris claims to have got Brexit successfully done while now claiming he didn't know exactly what he did so wants to redo what was done while still maintaining what was done previously was done successfully and its only the EU following rules to the exact wording that is stopping his successful Brexit that he got done while not successfully reading the exact wording himself.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    "Done" is entirely debatable given he/they are now trying to dismantle the very legislation originally agreed that constituted this Brexit "done"ness. Equally, it's one thing to throw the grenade into the room, quite another when it doesn't go off and create the chaos you wish. We've had 4+ years of presuming that, any minute now, those EU types would fold like cheap trousers.

The only bit of Brexit i am interested in is the NI bit.
    AFAIK the UK brexit is more or less OK.
    I think he deliberately created the Irish sea border knowing there be a fallout...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The only real solution is a UI but it will take a bit of time.

No it doesn't - at the moment the main "problem" is that the DUP don't like the sea border, a UI isn't going to win them over?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

schmoo2k wrote: »
    No it doesn't - at the moment the main "problem" is that the DUP currently don't like the sea border, a UI isn't going to win them over?
    FYP
    The DUP have been more than happy with checks in Larne and Belfast on goods coming from GB in the past. The only reason the DUP don't like the current arrangement is because it suits their anti-Irish and therefore anti-EU agenda.

More rewriting of the truth (or actually rewriting Johnson's lies) from Westminster...

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1402915797090045956

schmoo2k wrote: »
    No it doesn't - at the moment the main "problem" is that the DUP don't like the sea border, a UI isn't going to win them over?

I expect they will have to be bought, Money is a great persuader...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

I expect they will have to be bought, Money is a great persuader...

Finding out how much a TD earns versus what an MLA earns would be a good start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

weemcd wrote: »
    Finding out how much a TD earns versus what an MLA earns would be a good start...

The salaries, allowances and committee payments are much nicer down here but the party funding rules are vastly stricter and would cut off much of their funding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    The salaries, allowances and committee payments are much nicer down here but the party funding rules are vastly stricter and would cut off much of their funding.

If they tried that Ash for Cash down here, they would feel the heat.

If they tried that Ash for Cash down here, they would feel the heat.

The Ash for Cash did serious damage to SF in my view...

This should come as no surprise but nonetheless it is always nice to hear the truth finally come out...

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1403273485288448001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭dogbert27

This should come as no surprise but nonetheless it is always nice to hear the truth finally come out...

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1403273485288448001

Wow, that should be going out around Northern Ireland in every local newspaper, radio and tv station to show what they are actually thought of by the Brexiteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The DUP are in a right mess.

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan/status/1405497813585256448

I'm enjoying this I can't lie, but I also worry that their implosion will allow space for the militants to step in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The DUP are in a right mess.

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan/status/1405497813585256448

I'm enjoying this I can't lie, but I also worry that their implosion will allow space for the militants to step in.
    They've moved a UI more than a few months closer.

Pity the poor hamsters on Slugger's server
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2021/06/17/stormont-crisis-averted-until-the-next-crisis/

d24b71d0fe6c99ed59ccee639c8904712835b441030a8455c849084c52e826c9.png?w=600&h=98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

What is the DUP's problem with the ILA? They already agreed to it before.

They are just so pathetic and insecure.

I'm guessing the general content of the Act hasn't changed too much since this:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-language-act-explainer-3851417-Feb2018/

It's not like they're going to force kids in unionist schools to learn Irish. Everyday life will continue unchanged. They are incredibly intransigent and short-sighted.

• Advertisement

Expecting things to get very ugly in the sphere of Unionism/Loyalism over the next few months. With virtually no 12th of July celebrations last year, this year will be a powder keg. I'd expect much more dissent for the remainder of the summer with plenty of young lads either forced or coerced out the door to spark violent protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Any why are they turning on Poots already? Because he deigned to agree to nominate Paul Givan as First Minister, and they're not happy about power sharing continuing unless the ILA is dropped?

Do they even know why they're against stuff anymore? It just seems to be NONONONONONONONONO. It's on the headlines every bloody day, can they not take a day off whingeing.

*Edit* Even Paul Givan signed the email objecting to appointing him as First Minister! You cannot make this stuff up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Shelga wrote: »

It's not like they're going to force kids in unionist schools to learn Irish. Everyday life will continue unchanged. They are incredibly intransigent and short-sighted.

Surely it would also help 'detoxify' the language so it will be more open for those in 'PUL' community to learn (not forced) and extend the amazing work that Linda Ervine has been involved with. As been pointed out before Scotland have got an act, Wales have got one and I believe Cornwall have also got one as well so that's half of the UK!

*Edit* Even Paul Givan signed the email objecting to appointing him as First Minister! You cannot make this stuff up! :pac:

I think that was Paul Girvan. Confusingly there's both a Paul Givan and a Paul Girvan!

Poots may be given the boot by his party today. There's a meeting imminent at their party HQ and Sammy Wilson has said he doesn't know if Poots will lose a motion of confidence. Meanwhile in Westminster, even Rees-Mogg has had enough of them...

https://twitter.com/Planet_Belfast/status/1405507227042160646

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

O'Neill wrote: »
    As been pointed out before Scotland have got an act, Wales have got one and I believe Cornwall have also got one as well so that's half of the UK!

With the way English nativism is going I wouldn't be surprised to see an English Language Act to satisfy Daily Mail readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

They don't believe that the Nationalist Community should have equal rights, they still think its the 1970s get what they want. Triumphalism has been spoke about in other threads but you'll see this in spades over the next few weeks when they march where there are not wanted, burning tricolours, etc.
    The protocol is talked about a lot but I don't see any Nationlists having a go, lots of them Business people. Something for the PUL Community to have a whinge

I think that was Paul Girvan. Confusingly there's both a Paul Givan and a Paul Girvan!

Poots may be given the boot by his party today. There's a meeting imminent at their party HQ and Sammy Wilson has said he doesn't know if Poots will lose a motion of confidence. Meanwhile in Westminster, even Rees-Mogg has had enough of them...

https://twitter.com/Planet_Belfast/status/1405507227042160646

Schadenfreude over the DUP aside, it feels a little rich watching Reese Mogg lecture someone on the importance to implement that which was agreed, and the necessity for sober heads to intervene when one doesn't. Sauce for the goose is not sauce for the brexit gander it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I saw a wise observation on twitter, to the effect that the DUP are proving beyond doubt that if you can be bought, you can be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Love seeing the DUP in turmoil

Couldn't happen a nicer political party....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Poots resigning is a shocker. But the party was too split over the ambush and dispatch of Foster.

Foster must be sitting in an arm chair overlooking a fire place with a wine in hand and nice smirk on her face

What goes around comes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Headshot wrote: »
    Foster must be sitting in an arm chair overlooking a fire place with a wine in hand and nice smirk on her face

What goes around comes around

Foster is as responsible as Poots for this mess.

Foster is as responsible as Poots for this mess.

I'm referring to the back stabbing they did on Foster and particularly Poots who barely talked to her after he put the knife in

Belfast News Editor's Ben Lowry had a bit of a meltdown on The View. Saying SF had used blackmail and held Stormont to ransom. Had to be pointed out to him by host Mark Carruthers that the deal for an Irish language act had already been agreed, and there wouldn't have been an issue if it had been implemented as promised.

I wonder whether the same things will be said of the DUP if they threaten to collapse Stormont in order to scrap the Brexit prootocol, as has been suggested by some in the party. I somehow doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Belfast News Editor's Ben Lowry had a bit of a meltdown on The View. Saying SF had used blackmail and held Stormont to ransom. Had to be pointed out to him by host Mark Carruthers that the deal for an Irish language act had already been agreed, and there wouldn't have been an issue if it had been implemented as promised.

I wonder whether the same things will be said of the DUP if they threaten to collapse Stormont in order to scrap the Brexit prootocol, as has been suggested by some in the party. I somehow doubt it.

Lowry like the DUP has been found out. Belligerent Unionists all.

Lowry always gets himself worked up to the point you think he's gonna burst into tears. No sooner was he on camera that he started pinning the blame for an entirely Unionist fall out on Sinn Fein. It's quite incredible he's ever interviewed. Hysterical.

https://twitter.com/denisstaunton/status/1405851605354831872

Hope this is the case. Hard to have trust in their commitments based on experience.

https://twitter.com/denisstaunton/status/1405851605354831872

Hope this is the case. Hard to have trust in their commitments based on experience.

They did it with the abortion and same sex legislation already, right? While the Executive was dead. I'd well believe they would; the Tories can't be seen to openly undermine and berate a "partner" but this is the next best thing. While potentially, subtly, pushing the province a little further away

The DUP's friends reckon they should pull down Stormont. Considering the party are currently fuming over Westminster taking matters into their own hands, not sure a strategy of letting Westminster take matters into their own hands for the forseeable future is the best idea...

https://twitter.com/rodneyedwards/status/1405925778639015941

Also love the fact that it's the Irish government that are at fault for problems, and not the Tories or DUP who suppsedly held all the cards the last 5 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The DUP's friends reckon they should pull down Stormont. Considering the party are currently fuming over Westminster taking matters into their own hands, not sure a strategy of letting Westminster take matters into their own hands for the forseeable future is the best idea...
    The DUP know all about holding grudges so it's not like they have any excuse.

They backstabbed a Tory PM so they'd be thrown under the first Big Red Bus

What if Scotland gain independence during Direct Rule ?

What if there's civil disorder and a border poll looks like it could be won ?

Interesting article from BBC NI's Economics and Business Editor, John Campbell, about how all-island trade is rising since Brexit:
    for the whole January to April period NI exports to Ireland were up by 60% to more than €1bn (£859m).

The figures from Ireland's Central Statistics Office (CSO) also showed the value of Irish exports to NI increasing.

In January to April they were up 40% to €977m (£841m).

Since the NI Protocol began operating in January, it has become more difficult for businesses in either part of Ireland to import goods from Great Britain.

Northern Ireland has remained in the EU's single market for goods, which means that products arriving from Great Britain are subject to new checks and controls.

Goods arriving from Great Britain into the Republic of Ireland face similar processes.

However, goods trade across the Irish border remains as it was before Brexit, with no new checks and controls.

That may have prompted some businesses to source more products on the island of Ireland rather than from GB.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57484741

Brexit continues to be a spectacular own goal for the DUP. The blame for the change in circumstances rests with those that supported it and dismissed warnings against it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I'm not sure about those figures.

For example, a VW Golf purchased in NI in Dec 2020 would be purchased from GB. The same transaction in Jan 2021, assuming that VW observe the rules, would be purchased from VW Ireland and shipped from Germany to Rosslare and onto Belfast thus avoiding the 10% tariff because of rules of origin as insufficien UK content.

How much of the above transactions are included in the figures? Anyone have any information on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Interesting article from BBC NI's Economics and Business Editor, John Campbell, about how all-island trade is rising since Brexit:

Brexit continues to be a spectacular own goal for the DUP. The blame for the change in circumstances rests with those that supported it and dismissed warnings against it.

The figures are distorted. It almost certainly isn’t a case that exports from NI to Ireland are booming but rather that exports from GB to Ireland are just being re-routed and sent via Belfast over the border to avoid customs at Dublin.

In other words, our open border is - surprise, surprise - merely facilitating smuggling into the EU. And, no there’s no point in anyone pretending to be upset by this as it was entirely predictable based on past experience and we knew it was going to happen.

View wrote: »
    The figures are distorted. It almost certainly isn’t a case that exports from NI to Ireland are booming but rather that exports from GB to Ireland are just being re-routed and sent via Belfast over the border to avoid customs at Dublin.

In other words, our open border is - surprise, surprise - merely facilitating smuggling into the EU. And, no there’s no point in anyone pretending to be upset by this as it was entirely predictable based on past experience and we knew it was going to happen.
    Doesn't that mean the exporters have to pay HM Customs and Excise the tariffs etc as well as following all the currently existing regs and phytosanctions to get products into NI in the first place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Doesn't that mean the exporters have to pay HM Customs and Excise the tariffs etc as well as following all the currently existing regs and phytosanctions to get products into NI in the first place ?

In theory yes. In practice absolutely not.

The checks at Belfast port are no more being enforced by the U.K. government than they are at the ports for the Killimer-Tarbert car ferry by our own government.

There is currently absolutely nothing in Belfast port - in practice - stopping someone driving a truckload of that lovely hormone filled Australian beef from GB into Ireland/the EU, via NI (once Johnson gives that Australian beef the final go-ahead).

Poots & the DUP showing how they care about the views of the people of NI only when it suits them. They have no difficulty ignoring what the people of NI said in the Brexit referendum. Similarly, the people chose peace through the GFA which was actively opposed by the DUP.

Poots suggests NI protocol should be put to a referendum
    UK-EU agreement changes Northern Ireland’s constitutional status, outgoing DUP leader says
    Outgoing Democratic Unionist Party leader Edwin Poots has suggested the controversial Northern Ireland Protocol be put to a referendum.
    The post-Brexit arrangements are undemocratic and change the constitutional position of the North, and if they can’t be scrapped then a vote is needed on the change, he said.

Insane.

Such a referendum wouldn't get rid of the Protocol and would only fuel demand for a border poll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Insane.

Such a referendum wouldn't get rid of the Protocol and would only fuel demand for a border poll.

It's desperate flailing. The DUP have spectacularly taken one of the best hands a minor party has ever had in Anglo-Irish history and played it in the worst possible manner. The worst thing is, they don't seem to have done so with any sort of tangible objective in mind.

The absolute last word they need to be using now is "referendum". They need to stop drawing attention to themselves as anyone in Britain to the left of the Tory party sees them as repugnant while anyone Tory and right of that mark sees them at best as pawns whose utility is spent.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I can't see the lyrics changing that much either if _Donaldson_ is the man to take over; with the vote split between 2 hardline options at that acrimonious leadership contest, I'm not sure how "the other guy" is going to usher in a change of rhetoric.

"Never interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake" has never rung truer for moderate Unionism; the UUP and Alliance must be planning ahead to scoop up the disenfranchised voters that are surely looking at this flailing, regressive unit of malcontents and saying "nope!". Dunno if I've missed any NI focused polls but you'd want to think the DUP are suffering in that respect, at least?

• Advertisement
Advertisement