Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Day 2021 - Monday 21st & Tuesday 22nd June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tjhook

It's a bit ridiculous. I've had an item in my watchlist for a while now.

There's 20% off for Prime day. So removing 20% discount, but adding 23% VAT.

It's more expensive on Prime day. Naah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not been overly impressed with Prime Day like everyone else. I do need a new pair of earpods and was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live. They are £179 down to £79. Sounding good so far!

There's 3 colours - white, black and bronze - and they were all the same price with same seller (amazon EU). Went for the white ones and between all the messing with import duties etc, it came to £86.82 which wasn’t bad in my eyes. Went for them but then when I didn’t get a delivery date after a few hours, I decided to change them for a black pair.

Refunded the white ones, went to pay for black ones and they were £93.57. Near £7 more than the white despite them having the same listed price!
    Then had a look at the bronze ones and they were £105.07! Near £12 dearer than black and almost £20 dearer than the white ones.

Three identical items in different colours. Three identical listed prices. Three completely different checkout prices.

What the hell is going on?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Wireless-Earphones-Version/dp/B08C5G5SL8

Well if it helps any, I got a pair of these recently (black ones) and find them great. They're the only ear buds that don't cause me serious pressure issues after a little while.

These are much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Please overpay us, then come back and if we agree that you overpaid we’ll give you a voucher.

Best. Sale. Eva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Logged onto this thread to see if there was anything worth grabbing but it seems like it's a complete mess this year for Irish customers.

Even more farcical when they've been advertising it heavily on Irish radio (Newstalk anyway) for the last week.

My Prime is up in just over a week.. I think I'll just cancel it. I find I'm buying more from Germany anyway - certainly anything worth a bit.

so u dont pay vat just postage?
    are prices dearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

faolteam wrote: »
    so u dont pay vat just postage?
    are prices dearer?

I put together a basket totalling £175, went to pay and they were adding £45 import fees on top of it. Cancelled it. Checked the same items on Amazon Germany and they were all more expensive, plus postage fees. I'll be cancelling my subscription. Brexit has wrecked it.
    I went back to previous orders. Bought a pair of Converse runners a while back, paid £46 for them. Went to buy again to check, still £46, but £8.80 import fees added on top. Fúck Brexit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

is Amazon site down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭SourSessions

faolteam wrote: »
    is Amazon site down?

Not for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What a mess. The two Cat Stevens SDEs were advertised as £77 and £82 respectively (good prices) - neither carry through to the checkout with the error being the well-documented VAT on original list price f**k up.
    Was on chat - got the fob off "internal issue - will get back to you in 5 days" - when the deal is long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

steve584 wrote: »
    Didn't make any difference when I mentioned to customer services. She was going on about Brexit etc. As you can see from the screenshot the price for the show 8 on its own is 59.99 on deal. They then take the 20% off the pre deal price of 79.99 and then add 23% as expected. Then give a promotion reduction of 6.67, wherever that came from! No prime deal for us.

Yeah it's a total cluster..
    But the item in question is for the UK & Ireland , I was looking at an Echo 8 myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

Three identical items in different colours. Three identical listed prices. Three completely different checkout prices.

What the hell is going on?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Wireless-Earphones-Version/dp/B08C5G5SL8

Went with German site. The non-Prime Day price there was €79 and only €7 postage.

Spoke with Amazon UK customer service and responce was:

I totally understand but to be honest with you we also have limited information on our end

Feel sorry for the CS staff. Must have got an earful today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Went with German site. The non-Prime Day price there was €79 and only €7 postage.

Spoke with Amazon UK customer service and responce was:

Feel sorry for the CS staff. Must have got an earful today.

Just so you know Samsung are doing a cash back on these of 45 euro and Amazon Uk is listed as one of the retailers so might have been a better deal with Amazon UK after cash back. I got them last week and got cashback approved after 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

dan786 wrote: »
    Just so you know Samsung are doing a cash back on these of 45 euro and Amazon Uk is listed as one of the retailers so might have been a better deal with Amazon UK after cash back. I got them last week and got cashback approved after 2 days.

Wow, thanks for that. €45 regardless of what you paid for them? Brings them down to about £55/60

Wow, thanks for that. €45 regardless of what you paid for them? Brings them down to about £55/60

Yes does not matter what you paid for them. As long as its sold directly by Amazon UK.

https://2021.samsungpromotions.claims/summercashback/en-IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

NiceSwan wrote: »
    The thing is that once you hit the 'buy now' button you are agreeing to pay that price for the goods. No matter what individual managers/ reps have told people, amazon will not be under any legal obligation to refund the difference.

The calculated import duty is clearly incorrect. That is money being collected as VAT for the Irish government. Regardless if customer clicks buy or not. They cannot incorrectly charge more VAT than they are allowed.

It might be a grey area when it comes to legality side of things, but no doubt Amazon will not want to hurt their brand with collecting more VAT then they should.

Crucial BX500 Internal SSD 2TB

€125.43 + Delivery €7.58

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07YD5F561?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

• Advertisement

Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0, NVMe M.2 (2280) internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 1TB

Great price for newest model

€140.19 + €7.61 Delivery

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08GS7748F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I hope you pointed out to him that we're actually ten times bigger than Manchester (and even over twice as large as the greater area).

A glitch on Amazon that leads to shipping addresses to Manchester not being accepted would certainly be a big deal for Amazon UK and attempts to rectify it would be made ASAP, so this problem for a population that is ten times larger should certainly be raising heads too.

a) pointing that pedantic point out would have been a good career move (not)
    b) there isn’t a glitch with addresses not being accepted. The glitch is with vat rates - which wouldn’t apply to Manchester or anywhere in the UK. Not the same issue

a) pointing that pedantic point out would have been a good career move (not)

It wouldn't be pedantic. The population of the UK is roughly 10 times that of Ireland, and the population of Ireland is roughly 10 times that of Manchester. Should have asked him if he would react differently if 10 cities the size of Manchester had this issue rather than 1.
    b) there isn’t a glitch with addresses not being accepted. The glitch is with vat rates - which wouldn’t apply to Manchester or anywhere in the UK. Not the same issue

You missed my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Yes does not matter what you paid for them. As long as its sold directly by Amazon UK.

https://2021.samsungpromotions.claims/summercashback/en-IE

That's a great deal with those headphones if only Amazon would charge us correctly. I would like to clarify something though. Samsung say that a 2nd qualify purchase gets an extra €55 cashback.

So if you purchase two qualifying items (say both are €45 cashback), are you getting:

a) 2 amounts of €45 with an extra €55?

b) a single €45 cashback with an extra €55?

That's a great deal with those headphones if only Amazon would charge us correctly. I would like to clarify something though. Samsung say that a 2nd qualify purchase gets an extra €55 cashback.

So if you purchase two qualifying items (say both are €45 cashback), are you getting:

a) 2 amounts of €45 with an extra €55?

b) a single €45 cashback with an extra €55?

Two cashbacks + bonus of 55. Please note you cannot buy same item twice. It has to be two different items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Stupid Question Alert

How do I use my €10 prime promo from last week? I didn't use it but can't see it anywhere on my account tonight. I definitely got an email to say it'd be there,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Stupid Question Alert

How do I use my €10 prime promo from last week? I didn't use it but can't see it anywhere on my account tonight. I definitely got an email to say it'd be there,

Should appear at checkout, I'd get on to customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Stupid Question Alert

make sure you've claimed it through the link on your email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Stupid Question Alert

It’s taken off at checkout automatically (least it was for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 SmithJames84

Stupid Question Alert

A 10pound discount appears at checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

We are aware of an issue where the customer may not have received the full value of the Prime Day Deal on an item at checkout, if a non-UK delivery address was selected.
    I am sorry about this

let them know we are actively working to resolve this, and will contact any impacted customers as soon as possible. Please do not issue a concession; instead advise the customer we will e-mail any impacted customers within 5 days with an update and resolution.
    We are waiting for the resolution from internal team
    My apologies about this
    we are working on it

My replies when I escalated to chat this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

ok odd
    this one is working correctly now, not that there much of difference between prime /non prime
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081QX9V2Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

prime offer £39.59
    at check out it switch to

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 33.32
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 7.66
    Order Total: GBP 40.98

same with other prime deals I have checked
    lightning deals are still broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd give it a week and then annoy chat. Sounds like we should be hearing on a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Stupid Question Alert

I wouldn't bother if I was you ...

Amazon will probably charge you VAT on its value, not once but twice, just for good measure, and then reduce it discount value after that, meaning they actually add 5 euro to your purchase, just for trying to use if in the first place...... :D

Two cashbacks + bonus of 55. Please note you cannot buy same item twice. It has to be two different items.

Does this apply to a purchase from Amazon warehouse?

• Advertisement

Folks, This seems to be fixed now. Charges are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

THEFRIDGE wrote: »

Still seeing issues.

Fire HD 10 has it

for standard prime deal it seem to fix, for lightning deals it still broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Still coming up wrong for me.

chasm wrote: »
    Still coming up wrong for me.

lightning deal or standard prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Still not working for me and the stuff in my basket is just standard stuff that is reduced on prime and I have nothing from a lightning deal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

jos22 wrote: »
    lightning deal or standard prime

Standard prime stuff, haven't checked the lightning deals yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

chasm wrote: »
    Standard prime stuff, haven't checked the lightning deals yet

Yeah definitely not fixed, prime day deals still not. Probably be fixed 2 mins before midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

When they say "import fees" -- is that really Irish VAT charge?

• Advertisement

Yeah, still broken...

Placed an order for this:
    Blink Outdoor | Wireless, weather-resistant HD security camera with two-year battery life, motion detection | 2-Camera System

Order Total:
    Subtotal: £149.99
    Total Promotions Applied: £-50.00
    VAT: £0.00
    Import Fee Deposit: £35.97

Order Total: £135.96

Why does it say VAT 0, is that referring to UK VAT?

Got onto chat, got nowhere. CSR said phone call would be better. Got callback from a rep in Columbia. Got nowhere. Kept putting me on hold while she went to "sort" it out. Told me if there was a mistake, I would get a refund in 180 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Just tried to add a couple of things to my basket, a lot cheaper now on those items.

Lightning deals are still broken but other prime day deals seem to be working.

Some things are working, some things are not. I can't see any pattern to it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

It doesn't appear to be removing UK tax as it usually does,
    it's keeping UK tax and also adding on Irish import fee's.

Is anyone else having that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I got my prime subscription back for the month after talking to 3 different reps who all swore there was no problem on their side. Hardest money I've ever earned but I wasn't letting it go.

abbir wrote: »
    Just tried to add a couple of things to my basket, a lot cheaper now on those items.

Lightning deals are still broken but other prime day deals seem to be working.

Some things are working, some things are not. I can't see any pattern to it anymore.

Same,
    I said was fixed as a few things were ok but others are not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

Can someone please explain this to me (not great with tax and VAT stuff) so I can explain it to Amazon support staff when I chat to them?

For example, adding Echo Buds at £49.99 (Prime Day deal) to my basket, and I would end up paying £72.99 / €86.74 when shipping to Ireland.... some deal.

My girlfriend and I already bought a load of stuff yesterday morning and I think we've definitely been overcharged. Any hope we can get refunded?

4IQ8dw9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Fixed for me, pair of jeans I wanted last night are now showing the correct price where last night they were not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ch750536 wrote: »
    Fixed for me, pair of jeans I wanted last night are now showing the correct price where last night they were not.

Ordered the other 4 items I was watching, all were not working, all now working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Looks to be working okay on things such as the galaxy buds anyway. They're showing at £59, if I add them to basket they show up with a final price of £61.48.

Other items not working though, I checked a fire hd 8 tablet, shows at £39.99. Add to basket, final price is £57.24.

Very weird.

Oh also, PSA for everyone: never pay in euro on amazon. You'll get a better rate from bank paying in sterling, and a much better rate if you use Revolut or curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Prunty

Seems to be fixed to some extent but still slightly wrong. In the image below the item was advertised as 79.99 reduced to 39.99.

So the 60.82 is the list item minus UK vat. The promotion deduction of -20.83 brings the item down to the advertised 39.99 and then the import fees deposit is added to the 39.99.

Two issues I can see:

The vat reduction is included in the promo reduction so they're basically saying the 39.99 price is UK vat free - which I'm sure isn't the case, buy it in the UK and you'll be paying Vat on it at 23% of the 39.99.

Second issue is the import fees of 13.99 is being calculated on the list price and not the purchase price of 39.99. It should be around 9.19.

I might be off with my rates - someone might be able to correct that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement