Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you failed to get to a life boat on the Titanic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Didnt know there was so many Titanic anoraks. Fairplay

Yes the great ship that couldn't sink

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo. Live on penguins and water until rescued

a ship like that just doesnt stop, it would have gone on for a mile

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo. Live on penguins and water until rescued

I don't think Penguins had been in-in-invented yet. You'd have to make do with cake. Kendle mint cake.

And an anorak of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

Often thought about this and what I've realised would be the best thing to do is wrap yourself in a ton of blankets and duvets and fabrics and clothes etc. and then simply jump overboard. The blankets will keep you warm and also prevent you from sinking. You can continue calling out repeatedly until someone aboard a lifeboat decides to take pity on you and give you a seat.

Often thought about this and what I've realised would be the best thing to do is wrap yourself in a ton of blankets and duvets and fabrics and clothes etc. and then simply jump overboard. The blankets will keep you warm and also prevent you from sinking. You can continue calling out repeatedly until someone aboard a lifeboat decides to take pity on you and give you a seat.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On a beach maybe.... In water, they tend to get wet, heavy and you will sink like a big stone.

silverharp wrote: »
    a ship like that just doesnt stop, it would have gone on for a mile

You could have swam back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Penguins live in the south Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What was the movie where they escaped from a prison and had to swim in extreme cold waters? Anyway, they covered themselves in grease then wrapped themselves in clingfilm. This could potentially extend the time it would have taken for you to freeze to death in the water and increase your chances of getting picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

There are no penguins in the North Atlantic, you might find a seal or two, use their skins for clothes and their fat for burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Violet Jessop was an Irish nurse (well here parents were Irish), she survived the sinking, and the sinking of the Titanic's sister ship as well. In fact I think if you saw her on board it was probably best to nab a life jacket early.

Ah here:
    In addition, she had been onboard RMS Olympic, the eldest of the three sister ships, when it collided with a British warship, HMS Hawke, in 1911

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That's probably not the best idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Find a dress "size xl"
    Look for a wig "brown and curly"
    Size 10 heels "something comfy"
    And go to lifeboat 6 and say "im a lady"

Picture little Britain David Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say unless you got a lifeboat out of there you are fûcked...

If you had the skill and ingenuity to rig a raft from ripping out a bath say and plugging it up....you have to get it from below deck to up, outside and down into the water..... unlikely you’d have the opportunity to escape the titanic without being set upon by lunatics desperate for a way out themselves.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    There are no penguins in the North Atlantic, you might find a seal or two, use their skins for clothes and their fat for burning.
    deise08 wrote: »
    Penguins live in the south Pole.

Lads, we're looking for solutions, not obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Lads, we're looking for solutions, not obstacles.

Hence the seals, obstacle identified, solution provided.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Hence the seals, obstacle identified, solution provided.

Positive attitude
    You'd have survived

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Do you know there were 120 Irish on board and all of them were in third class.

Sorry but this is inaccurate. Just off the top of my head, wasn't Thomas Andrews Jr on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would just tie a rope off the back of a life boat and water ski after them to safety.

Half-read thread.. apologies if it's already been brought up but men before women and children was mostly a fabrication...

https://qz.com/321827/women-and-children-first-is-a-maritime-disaster-myth-its-really-every-man-for-himself/

• Advertisement

Anyway....I know for a fact that I would already be on one of those life boats because when I was around 11...I got stuck on a boat in hollyhead...that couldn't dock for whatever reason and we got stung for 24 hours on the boat...

So with my inquisitive mind...at the time...I heard people talking about getting a free meal... had to go back to gather my people's (my dad, brother and his pal lol) and we kind of skipped the queue... technically we didnt skip the queue...I was wandering around there earlier but had to run back to get my people's lol.

Anyway the point is...I hear things early on lol :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Masala wrote: »
    Would ripping up a bath ( and blocking up the plug hole) been an option. Would a bath float???
    And you'd be sure enough that the bath wouldn't capsize?
    Masala wrote: »
    In the movie... there seems to be hours between hitting the iceberg and finally sinking. So there would be time to work on pulling out a bath and getting it ready for sail. !!!!
    2 hours and 45 minutes in real life I believe.

by swimming you would use up valuable energy that would be used to keep vital organs functioning plus the vast majority of people couldn't swim 100 yrds in ideal conditions never mind fully clothed in freezing cold water . If you did manage to get out of water , how would you keep warm and dry your wet clothes . one of the first thing's you are thought in sea survival is not to swim and curl up in a ball to conserve energy/heat
    You're right; I'd take off most of my clothes before jumping in instead! Someone on the life boat would have to give me some of their clothes... surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Titanic, real time sinking. Video is a bit eerie to watch. You have about 2 and a bit hours to get yourself ready.

kalych wrote: »
    The main problem with 'building a raft'-type idea the way i see it is in how to then release it into the water safely:

If you have the raft on deck and just wait for the ship to sink slowly and the rising water to eventually get the raft to float, you're more than likely going to be pulled under water as you won't be able to get far enough away from the sinking ship in time. All that while fighting off other people who might decide that their life is more important than yours once they see you found a viable floating device.
    If you waited at the bow for the water to rise, you'd be fine. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Olivia2 wrote: »
    Half-read thread.. apologies if it's already been brought up but men before women and children was mostly a fabrication...

https://qz.com/321827/women-and-children-first-is-a-maritime-disaster-myth-its-really-every-man-for-himself/
    It isn't ENTIRELY a fabrication. But its more complex.

On the titanic as in most disasters the crew fared the best they are in control and look after themselves.

What happened is for one side of the boat ..men were allowed to board and the other only if there were no women and children around.

BUT ....what happened was the crew were less enthused about getting 2nd and 3rd class passengers to the lifeboats and about warning them.

The FIRST CLASS women made it on par with the guys. But the second class and third class women and children ...they were saved in far fewer numbers than their male counterparts...in fact the 3rd class and second class children did the worst over all.

The biggest difference in what groups did well ..was between the first class and third class women. There was a lesser difference between the first class men and the third class men.

But yes ...society liked to pretend back then that men were chivalrous and protective.

Its funny out of all the first class passengers ....only 4 willingly as far as i know choose to remain to give their seat to a child or someone young.

Its simplistic to say that women were put first ...because on the starboard side men could board just fine. They did make efforts to put women and children first on the port side ...but it only seemed to apply to FIRST class women.

Actually second and third class men did waaay better than the women or children in 2nd and 3rd class.

Your interpretation of feminism isn't, necessarily, the correct one.
    Feminism, as I understand it, is about gaining equal rights and opportunities for women.

I struggle with the word feminist and would prefer the word egalitarian too but the rise of feminism must be viewed in the context of the appalling lack of rights and opportunities available to women at the time.

I don't think you get to decide what feminism means.
    So you'd try and build a raft too?

AllForIt wrote: »
    I would have picked up a child and pleaded with the crew that I was it's only hope.
    Except Billy Zane thought of that first, so we're all aware of that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im a mermaid with ice cold blood ....sorted.

• Advertisement

It isn't ENTIRELY a fabrication. But its more complex.

On the titanic as in most disasters the crew fared the best they are in control and look after themselves.

What happened is for one side of the boat ..men were allowed to board and the other only if there were no women and children around.

BUT ....what happened was the crew were less enthused about getting 2nd and 3rd class passengers to the lifeboats and about warning them.

The FIRST CLASS women made it on par with the guys. But the second class and third class women and children ...they were saved in far fewer numbers than their male counterparts...in fact the 3rd class and second class children did the worst over all.

The biggest difference in what groups did well ..was between the first class and third class women. There was a lesser difference between the first class men and the third class men.

But yes ...society liked to pretend back then that men were chivalrous and protective.

Its funny out of all the first class passengers ....only 4 willingly as far as i know choose to remain to give their seat to a child or someone young.

Its simplistic to say that women were put first ...because on the starboard side men could board just fine. They did make efforts to put women and children first on the port side ...but it only seemed to apply to FIRST class women.

Actually second and third class men did waaay better than the women or children in 2nd and 3rd class.

It's provoking and tbh quite annoying when you hear that but the majority of history taught is BS anyway...

No joke..ended up in an argument years ago...standing outside a pub and i'd be slim on my history knowledge....got chatting to these two oulfellas (they wouldn't like that description lol) about how the famine was basically a result of the English as they'd taken our meat/fish industry - anyway they told me out straight 'no no it wasnt' - so found out later they're two high profile history lecturers with whatever college...and lol people on here before were slagging me for going to an IT lol :D

Advertisement