Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beneficiary in Will refusing to give date of birth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Unfortunately:

To get a birth certificate you need to provide:

full birth name on the certificate

date of birth

place of birth

father's full name, if recorded

mother's full birth name
    I imagine you cannot execute your executor duties then?
    Let any other beneficiaries and "birthday boy" know that they have a week for "birthday boy's" birthdate.
    If not, you inform probate office that you cannot execute. They appoint a solicitor (independent I believe, at cost of estate) as executor.

Whatever the outcome, send birthday boy multiple cards, with age stated, on their birthday, from here on in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ha, I meant more than if you wanted to include a birth child in your will but did not have a PPS for them, could you still legally do so?

You can leave whatever you want to whoever you want. I believe that your executor can say that he failed to acquire sufficient data to fulfil his responsibilities and that the child's share should go into the residue of the estate.

Its not something thtt should be done without legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

While its ok to request DOB, I dont think theres any legal obligation is there? I mean, PPS is a unique number. Theres probable multiple Paul Murphy, DOB 01/01/1980 in the world.

If you only give one bit of information there's no way of cross checking it to make sure there no typo etc on the pps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Flinty997 wrote: »
    If you only give one bit of information there's no way of cross checking it to make sure there no typo etc on the pps.

Name + PPSN is two pieces.

And PPSNs have an internal check digit, which reduces the chances of a typo being valid.

But that's irrelevant: Revenue are asking for DOB so must believe they need it.

Personally I would be informing the other beneficiaries why their distribution is being delayed, possibly indefinitely, and seeing what they can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People refusing to provide information for a reasonable request is a red flag IMHO

Is this going to hold up things i.e. affect the other beneficiaries?

If so, why not let them know so they can put pressure on the outlier.

As already mentioned, you can get this info off CRO or Vision Net for a fee (assuming person is a company director - which they may not be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

People refusing to provide information for a reasonable request is a red flag IMHO

Is this going to hold up things i.e. affect the other beneficiaries?

If so, why not let them know so they can put pressure on the outlier.

As already mentioned, you can get this info off CRO or Vision Net for a fee (assuming person is a company director - which they may not be)

other beneficiaries are aware and dont seem too bothered that all is held up. none are directors of any company. Think this one in particular is just being petty now. i have never come across anything like this before.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They're not on Facebook, are they?

Have they no relations who know when they were born?!

Is the person on Linkedin - you'd be surprised how many put their birthdays on that.

Presume none of the other beneficiaries can confirm the date of birth? You may need to focus on somebody who can provide the information.

Surprised that solicitor won't do more to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There is a section on the SA2 where you can avail of no PPSN number, what would happen if you said PPSN wasn't available and availed of the amended SA25 option?
    Where a PPSN is not available for a beneficiary of the estate, the Form SA.2 contains
    a facility to allow an applicant to give an undertaking that they will not distribute any
    property passing under the estate to that beneficiary until the PPSN is provided to
    the Revenue Commissioners on an amended Form SA.2 return. This facility is in
    order to assist our customers proceed with the application for a Grant of
    Representation. Please note that an undertaking can only be given for one
    beneficiary per application. To avail of this facility please tick the box to indicate that
    a PPSN is not available and follow the on-screen instructions.

Would SW be able to tie the PPSN to a birthdate?

• Advertisement

Is the person on Linkedin - you'd be surprised how many put their birthdays on that.

Presume none of the other beneficiaries can confirm the date of birth? You may need to focus on somebody who can provide the information.

Surprised that solicitor won't do more to help.

other beneficiaries are related and not helping either.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    There is a section on the SA2 where you can avail of no PPSN number, what would happen if you said PPSN wasn't available and availed of the amended SA25 option?

Would SW be able to tie the PPSN to a birthdate?

think i will have to ask solicitor to try that. we have pps number

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭headtheball14

Could you write in age approx and send it in? Deasp have access to a file with pppsn name address dob that revenue have access to . With the ppsn this is just a look up. It's more common people not having ppsn .
    It's not uncommon to have the wrong dob down for people and I'm sure there are cases where it can't be established

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Redsquigy wrote: »

That puts things in a whole different light. Someone influential has an incentive to delay distribution of the estate.

In that case, unless you're also a beneficiary, I'd be talking to a solicitor about ways to renounce being executor. This nightmare will go on for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Unfortunately:

To get a birth certificate you need to provide:

full birth name on the certificate

date of birth

place of birth

father's full name, if recorded

mother's full birth name

You do not. All you need is
    Page Number
    GS Film number
    Digital Folder Number
    Image Number
    Birthplace
    Registration Quarter and Year

I have done this. The information is available online for free in the case of persons born before 1958.

In any case once you have a general idea of the persons age and place of birth you can go to Werburgh St and look up the registers.

The o/p should at least be able to find the mothers maiden name and approximate age if he knows the relatives of the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That puts things in a whole different light. Someone influential has an incentive to delay distribution of the estate.

In that case, unless you're also a beneficiary, I'd be talking to a solicitor about ways to renounce being executor. This nightmare will go on for a long time.

Ya all very weird.

They're up to something. I'd exit as quick as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Have you asked them why they wont give it
    Do they not want the inheritance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Personally I would be informing the other beneficiaries why their distribution is being delayed, possibly indefinitely, and seeing what they can find out.

While this would be tempting, I'd be cautious about revealing any information to the other beneficiaries as you would be breaching confidentiality. If someone is being petty about DOB, they could well get even more petty about you revealing their business to other family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This suggests to me that someone is holding up probate because they're living in a house which is part of the estate and which has been left to someone else. And they think they can effectively live rent-free by delaying probate forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Would the probate office (beside Smithfield luas stop) be of any assistance?

I would be tempted just to get three quotes from solicitors and be rid of the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

athlone573 wrote: »
    ...I would be tempted just to ... be rid of the whole thing.

+1

Good luck to you if you think you will get a 'quote' from even one solicitor :(

If the other beneficiaries won't help then it means you are dealing with c*nts.

I believe you can renounce your executor role - depends on what stage of the process it's at. Solicitor should know or else courts.ie.
    That's what I would do.

No dialogue with c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you are not a beneficiary i would just resign as executor and leave the mess to somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Somebody is playing a clever game, you need to thread carefully here because if you get their DOB by deception you could be leaving yourself open to all sorts of hassle. I'd contact the probate office as your solicitor obviously isn't interested in helping you out. Has this person lodged a challenge to the will or are they playing for time to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Somebody is playing a clever game, you need to thread carefully here because if you get their DOB by deception you could be leaving yourself open to all sorts of hassle. I'd contact the probate office as your solicitor obviously isn't interested in helping you out. Has this person lodged a challenge to the will or are they playing for time to do so?
    It is likely that if it is dragging, probate office will step in anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Andrea B. wrote: »
    It is likely that if it is dragging, probate office will step in anyhow.

Why would they?

coylemj wrote: »
    This suggests to me that someone is holding up probate because they're living in a house which is part of the estate and which has been left to someone else. And they think they can effectively live rent-free by delaying probate forever.

no property involved at all. just money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Check the date of birth on the birth cert from the GRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

no property involved at all. just money.
    Are you also a beneficiary? If not, I'd walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

jd wrote: »
    Are you also a beneficiary? If not, I'd walk away.

OP is executor, can't walk away.

Advertisement