Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

TimHorton wrote: »

Picked up 1st order today and queue well out the door, Noticed some established builders picking up expensive tool combos. One lad was browsing and when he got the counter he was asking a young female member to explain what garden hoses they had LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭rn

Screw fix is definitely a welcome addition to the area, but always remember to shop around. Wd40 is 8.49 on screw fix. 3.99 in supersavers just across the car park... As an example.

If you're doing a bulk order, ganleys will haggle on price is my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

rn wrote: »
    Screw fix is definitely a welcome addition to the area, but always remember to shop around. Wd40 is 8.49 on screw fix. 3.99 in supersavers just across the car park... As an example.

If you're doing a bulk order, ganleys will haggle on price is my experience.

Same with white goods in ganleys, they have always knocked a little off when ever I've used them and I try to buy local when I can if it makes sense.

Only gripe is the website (just had a quick look and it seems to have had a big improvment on the last time i checked it but still missing entire sections like paint and you still need to ring them to buy /check stock).

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Anyone know if the AIT gym is back open? They are doing the vaccinations out there, website doesn't mention anything about it being closed. I need a gym asap before I become morbidly obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭rn

I was out there today for vaccination and it seemed like it was open. Give them a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone know if the AIT gym is back open? They are doing the vaccinations out there, website doesn't mention anything about it being closed. I need a gym asap before I become morbidly obese.

It is open

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hi Folks, I was wondering if any folks in Athlone would know of any GPs taking on new patients ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anyone know of a plumber that will install a replacement gas cooker fairly quickly?

Didn't realise you are no longer allowed to replace it yourself anymore.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Anyone know of a plumber that will install a replacement gas cooker fairly quickly?

Didn't realise you are no longer allowed to replace it yourself anymore.
    You will need to search on a site like this https://rgii.ie/registered-installers/
    to find a registered gas installer, a plumber can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You will need to search on a site like this https://rgii.ie/registered-installers/

Most plumbers are registered now I thought?

The guy local to us is, as is his crew

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

cheers thanks, very hand website.

I forgot to mention that we use bottled gas and not natural gas etc. Still need an installer to pass a pipe thought an existing hole in the wall, connect it to the bottle of gas - €250 thanks very much. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm in the wrong end of the building trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Fast track planning granted for development in town.

30% social housing

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0616/1228539-182m-scheme-for-athlone-to-deliver-174-social-houses/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Blanco100 wrote: »

Sounds like the farm opposite Fox's filling station on the Ballymahon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yep, beside the Department of Education was the mooted place for that development for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is it not the development at Brawney ?
    Or is this a new separate one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

The IDA bought the land opposite the filling station; the above is around the Brawney estate as it mentions Lissywollen.

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/09/04/ida-buys-land-for-future-business-needs/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wish theyd buy st mels park. Good god that place looks depressing. All the more since thegreenway offers a view of it

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is it not the development at Brawney ?
    Or is this a new separate one ?

Brawny got permission already, this is Lissywollen, on the Ballymahon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It's the one development at Brawny/Lisseywollen. The football stadium address is Lisseywollen.

As mentioned, the IDA have purchased most of the land opposite the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    It's the one development at Brawny/Lisseywollen. The football stadium address is Lisseywollen.

As mentioned, the IDA have purchased most of the land opposite the petrol station.

You are right, I missed that IDA purchase back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

Does anyone know a good computer repair shop in town? We normally use B-Tech across from Dunnes but its currently closed due to a staff member catching covid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Lots of drawings, maps etc at https://lissywollenshd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

Demonique wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good computer repair shop in town? We normally use B-Tech across from Dunnes but its currently closed due to a staff member catching covid

I've used PCWorkshop.ie not too far away from there on two occassions and found them to be fine if a bit pricy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Wish theyd buy st mels park. Good god that place looks depressing. All the more since thegreenway offers a view of it

Access to Mels park is bad. The best thing to do with it would be to swap it with the school beside it for land beside the other railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Can anyone tell me who does the best burgers in town?

Have heard of handsome burger and yeah burger, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmcg46

alfredos prime burger is very nice, best take away burger I had. never had a yeah burger to takeaway but at Christmas when indoor dining was permitted i did have it and it was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Where is yeah burger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

cena wrote: »
    Where is yeah burger

They were operating upstairs in The Palace.
    Only got food there a handful of times but it was a bit hit and miss.

Hard to beat The Cookhouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I am tired of online buying. God be with the days you could go to a shop and meet someone who knew what they were talking about. If you bought a few things from them you had a relationship and they would help you out when needed.

Advertisement