Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

They should have told the DOD they need the defence aids because since brexit the British fishermen in the Irish Sea have become very hostile and starring throwing fish at them when they do low passes!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sparky42 wrote: »
    Hey, the DF will leave a note before hand...
    And of course the magic neutrality will continue, now excuse us while we spend another week with the HSE IT systems fecked and hope other major systems like the ESB are in better shape...

You're not wrong, but to my mind the greatest chaos would be caused if the social welfare system was brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You're not wrong, but to my mind the greatest chaos would be caused if the social welfare system was brought down.

Nothing causes panic more than "In that case, we can't run payroll".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Psychlops wrote: »
    And with what pilots to fly them?

No shortage of pilots anywhere and the KC 390 is no harder than any Embraer to fly or operate. It's built by a very experienced company and existing pilots could convert onto type in a matter of weeks. If the AC wanted pilots to fly any transport type, you could do it in very short order. When it suits them, the DoD and the AC can pull out all the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

Stovepipe wrote: »
    No shortage of pilots anywhere and the KC 390 is no harder than any Embraer to fly or operate. It's built by a very experienced company and existing pilots could convert onto type in a matter of weeks. If the AC wanted pilots to fly any transport type, you could do it in very short order. When it suits them, the DoD and the AC can pull out all the stops.

Have you seen the take up for trying to get AC staff back or the new direct entry program?

• Advertisement

Have you seen the take up for trying to get AC staff back or the new direct entry program?

In fairness i think thats to do more with the T&Cs. If they dangled a big enoght carrot they would get them. We are going to be out of this covid nightmare soon and you will have aer lingus a330s doing bucket and spade runs and airline staff all over the world will be in high demand again, so most personal are just waiting for normallity to return rather than join the air corps at the bottom

I saw it and it's a disgrace. They want industry professionals (Cat A/B1/Degree) to join at the lowest possible pay scale and rank and then spend 16 weeks on infantry training to become 3 stars??!! After all the effort it takes to pass all the exams and build experience,work hard in an airline, keep learning,keep grafting and then be expected to join at the very bottom,when they should be brought in as civvy contractors and paid appropriately? Clearly not thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I saw it and it's a disgrace. They want industry professionals (Cat A/B1/Degree) to join at the lowest possible pay scale and rank and then spend 16 weeks on infantry training to become 3 stars??!! After all the effort it takes to pass all the exams and build experience,work hard in an airline, keep learning,keep grafting and then be expected to join at the very bottom,when they should be brought in as civvy contractors and paid appropriately? Clearly not thought through.

Looks like it's designed to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They should create a Warrant Officer rank and bring them in at that.

They should create a Warrant Officer rank and bring them in at that.

Just bring them in as civilian contractors. Every arm of the Civil Service does it, why should the AC be different? The Army has done it for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Air America maybe...

I wonder is Mr coveney on the phone this morning to Airbus asking if the two spare transport casas parked up in seville still for sale?

Even one would do.

But yeah, Minister for Foreign Affairs bemoans Irish citizens being stuck in Saigon, sorry Kabul, amid a fast moving Western policy catastrophe. If only he had the ear of the Minister for Defence to ask why the State doesn't have even one long range transport aircraft for just such eventualities!

Farce. As always.

would it not be easier to get them on a plane belonging to another EU member?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd imagine that is what they are trying to organise at this stage, but only a select few countries have military aircraft on the ground (civilian aviation suspended indefinitely) and they want to evacuate all of their citizens first. Then there is a line long of nations, like us, looking to piggyback on the back of those military flights. The worry is that the evacuation window will close before all can be evacuated.

Why bother when you can send out a presser telling everyone that we can’t do feck all and trust one of the European nations to get our people out. The scenes coming from Kabul are horrible to watch.

I wonder what it would take for us to start acting like a grown up mature country

You're assuming some kind of organised scenario on the ground and other EU member being able to get their own planes in and then having spare capacity.

As the lads have said, a mature nation would have their own resources to deal with such situations. We, clearly, are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Would also assume those countries have lists of people who they would like to fly out but don't have the capacity for, without having other countries asking for seats too

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

We can't even have a grown up conversation about defence/army without comparisons between equipment costs and how many houses/hospitals could be built.

• Advertisement

well given we don't have any transport aircraft of our own and damn all chance of chartering one willing to fly in to Kabul then asking another EU member to our citizens on one of their flights is definitely easier than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Found this photo from a past life. Hope you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Cheap smd cheerful.

The examiners article on the situation:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40360565.html

"There is no commercial airline options out of Kabul Airport now and so the way to get people out is essentially military aircraft and we are working with other European countries in particular, to try to ensure, that when aircraft are sent, that they will not only bring back their own citizens, but that they'll bring back other Europeans, ie Irish citizens as well"

A transcript of the entire contribution by Simon Coveney to the RTÉ news bulletins this evening.

I hope he felt the appropriate level of burning shame that he should have while making that comment.

He and the rest of the current government and pretty much everyone before that along with DOD and Finance since the foundation of the state as well…FFS saw a tweet from the IT crime correspondent that he knows we were offered a cheap deal on two UN C295s recently and refused them.

Very interesting that. They seem to be ex DAC charters to the UN, flown mainly in Africa.

I'd be reticent enough about them though, even for less than 20 mill each. Why are they being sold on? What's their service history, in what sort of harsh environments?

As much as I respect 235s and 295s, they're neither very big nor very leggy, so I'd sooner see one ex-Military C-130, well minded by a friendly nation brought into service for its range, its capacity, its sheer versatility.

Just like you see C47s still knocking about now, I just feel that when 295s and Spartans and A400s are all gone to the boneyard, there will still be Hercs lumbering around, refusing to die. And given Irish Govt procurement leads, that's no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Last week, the Dept of Foreign affairs issued a presser telling all Irish Citizens to leave A-Stan. 3 weeks ago the British Foreign office gave similar advice to their people.

That was the point a grown up country would have sent an aircraft, while the TB were still hundreds of miles away from Kabul, before the current panic begun. If you choose to stay after, its on your own head.

were commercial flights not still operating at that time?

• Advertisement

It's safe to assume those commercial flights were massively oversubscribed from that point on, until they ceased.

Advertisement