Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Rugby Championship announced, beginning September 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think we've become comfortable with at least three Irish teams qualifying for Europe without any issue. For the first time (ever?) that may change.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Correct, but if we play the same teams at home every year it wouldn't be very fair on anyone

which has never ever happened.. so only exists in your mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Really happy with this new format, chatting to a mate in SA this morning as well and they are excited. Seemingly as well loads of talk of a secondary competition that Irish teams might be involved in which would include Ceetahs/Southern King/team from Georgia etc....he mentioned 2 Irish teams made up from the 4 provinces but said in reality it would have to be 4....so the A teams

Also his view is Rassie is really pushing his relationships with the IRFU, potential a Schools league, so Irish schools get to play against SA teams. I guess this would be winners of Irish schools gets to travel. Plus a draft system where Irish players could got to SA and SA players to Ireland.

Seems to be a lot of conversations going on to really push this league and the relationship between SA & Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Seemingly as well loads of talk of a secondary competition that Irish teams might be involved in which would include Ceetahs/Southern King/team from Georgia etc....he mentioned 2 Irish teams made up from the 4 provinces but said in reality it would have to be 4....so the A teams

Also his view is Rassie is really pushing his relationships with the IRFU, potential a Schools league, so Irish schools get to play against SA teams. I guess this would be winners of Irish schools gets to travel. Plus a draft system where Irish players could got to SA and SA players to Ireland.

no to all of this please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’m surprised that nobody has asked why Munster are not playing in the SA conference instead of the Irish one.

Ye are losing your edge.
    Going soft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

yerrahbah wrote: »
    So it sounds like I suggested earlier in the thread. Premier Sports will have non exclusive rights for the UK and Ireland for every game, while the regional broadcasters will show their local teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So looks like that the 10% of games involving Irish sides that will be on subscription TV will mainly be Ulster's away matches. Guess I'll not be getting rid of Premier Sports after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Does this suggest the 24 team Heineken cup format might be sticking around?(I know it's already in for next season)

While the 8 team qualification is unbalanced with this league format it's swallowable. 6 teams could end up with some pretty crazy situations though.

Following on from that can't imagine the IRFU/SRU/WRU/SARU will be too happy about how crowded their qualification is while the French and particularly English(assuming no expansion) are handed 8 spots each.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Welsh journo online arguing that he'd prefer fully meritocratic qualification for the Heino, so that the ignominy of having zero Welsh teams qualify for the Heino might whip the WRU into shape....

.... however seems far more likely to me that in such a scenario we'd just hear increased moaning about the tournament, and pleas to join the Premiership...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Welsh journo online arguing that he'd prefer fully meritocratic qualification for the Heino, so that the ignominy of having zero Welsh teams qualify for the Heino might whip the WRU into shape....

.... however seems far more likely to me that in such a scenario we'd just hear increased moaning about the tournament, and pleas to join the Premiership...

Was it Simon Thomas of Wales Online. He's very open about wanting the welsh to join premiership/play the english much more

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Was it Simon Thomas of Wales Online. He's very open about wanting the welsh to join premiership/play the english much more

He knows the crowd he's playing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To clarify - he hasn't made any complaints about the URC but would prefer to see it go full meritocratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In wonder will the Christmas back-to-back fixtures be kept in the H-Cup, can't see too many happy faces if a European team has to go to South Africa one week and then 5 days later play them again at home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Really not a fan of SA teams being in the Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

In wonder will the Christmas back-to-back fixtures be kept in the H-Cup, can't see too many happy faces if a European team has to go to South Africa one week and then 5 days later play them again at home

The back to back games didn't happen last season

Leinster were away to Monty and home to Northampton

He knows the crowd he's playing to.

I know that well. He completely plays everything up to that audience

They didnt happen last year but surely easy fix is just not have 5 day turnarounds for any side South African or european that plays in South Africa the weekend before
    well if theyre playing in the league then why not have them also in the european cup?

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If they weren't allowed into the champions cup why would they bother their arse in the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm loving the thought of it. Bulls or Sharks versus Toulon or Toulouse in a packed stadium in the South of France? I'd watch that hard seven days a week.

The center of gravity of world rugby has definitively moved north now. New Zealand are stuck now trying to get competitive games for their franchises out of Australia (in serious decline) and Japan (on the up but still off the game's elite).

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The measure of this league's success will be in how well the SA teams hold onto their better players. If we continue to see a one-way pipeline of talent migrating to Europe, we could wind up with a slightly more bloated Kings/Cheetahs situation. However if they can keep their players, I think this league could be epic.

Probably good news for SA rugby that will assist with player retention. I think I recall they consisted of the lions share of TV money in the Super Rugby arrangement and now that's pooled with European TV money. All games now more or less in their timezone to draw eyeballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I know all that, lads. I just don't like it.

I know all that, lads. I just don't like it.
    why? It will make league better. european competition better.
    whats not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

One step closer to a pan Euro league hopefully

The only way the SA team would move to Pro14 was to play European rugby, it would be a pointless move if they didnt get allowed

The Irish teams are going backwards in the Pro14 because the Scottish/Welsh/italian teams at this stage are not up to standard, the question is not if the Irish team will win, it's if they can get a bonus point.

For the Irish teams and the Ireland International team to progress we need the SA's. Now the SA's need Ireland because they made most of the TV money for Super Rugby and then it was spilt up.

So it should be a win win....SA team in Europe? it should drive up the TV money more

French will never dump the Top 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A question in all of this is when the fixtures for the Rugby Championship are. They have normally been summer time.

With a league starting in sept 2021 and running until June 2022 it doesn’t give SA internationals much time off before the start of the 2022 season, a season where they could be competing in the league, European cup, Autumn internationals and Rugby Championship.

Considering many will have been in action this summer against the lions and the strong possibility of an expanded Rugby Championship that’s a lot of fixtures for SA players, and also the possibility of a mid season break for them during the 6N.

Be interesting to see how that works out.

The French are far too attached to their league set-up for that to happen. And their domestic TV money is massive.

The Premiership is the least interesting of the big 3 leagues in Europe now. Seems stodgy compared to the URC and Top14.

I'd love to see the Italians level up and finally get competitive with big numbers in their stadiums. Wishful thinking though unless some Italian billionaires come in to bankroll the teams.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The French are far too attached to their league set-up for that to happen. And their domestic TV money is massive.

The Premiership is the least interesting of the big 3 leagues in Europe now. Seems stodgy compared to the URC and Top14.

I'd love to see the Italians level up and finally get competitive with big numbers in their stadiums. Wishful thinking though unless some Italian billionaires come in to bankroll the teams.

The Premiership are going to bring the numbers up to 14 and then shut down relegation for a period. They will never reintroduce it.

Without relegation the clubs will be guaranteed money so they can take out bigger loans and hopefully attract more players. This is the great hope from the English clubs. To me it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Are the other leagues going to travel to South Africa for Champions Cup games?

• Advertisement

hahashake wrote: »
    Are the other leagues going to travel to South Africa for Champions Cup games?

If the money is right for them they will.
    London Irish and Newcastle played Sarries in premiership games in the US a few years ago as part of a deal to play some games there for $$$
    So they definately would go to South Africa if money is right and these games would also be in same/similar time zone unlike games in the US which will be better for crowds at home as well

Advertisement