Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabins in Ireland

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

If you sleep in it, it needs planning basically. The reason they don't get planning is they don't meet building regs, and to bring them up to regs it would just be cheaper to build traditionally.

That has nothing to do with planning, that's building control. Planning are concerned with finishes, visuals, intended use, zoning, needs, egress, ingress, over development, external open space etc, as far as the planning is concerned you can build it from whatever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

JimmyMW wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with planning, that's building control. Planning are concerned with finishes, visuals, intended use, zoning, needs, egress, ingress, over development, external open space etc, as far as the planning is concerned you can build it from whatever you want

I don't understand what you are getting at. If you intend to live in it you need planning permission.

Edit, you mean the regs? I follow now, yes that's building control but theres no need to overcomplicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Especially when you put them on property that you don't own,

Besides - There are more than just that one floating cabin on those canals, that's the only one that's been removed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Does he honestly believe that in the UK or Amsterdam you can just band plastic barrels together with a shack on top and live in it?? If they let people do that the place would be like a shanty town in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

So If i put a log cabin in my back garden for a home office / sitting room that's ok and doesn't need planning. But if I wanted to use it as a granny flat/ spare bedroom it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ec18 wrote: »
    So If i put a log cabin in my back garden for a home office / sitting room that's ok and doesn't need planning. But if I wanted to use it as a granny flat/ spare bedroom it does?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

‘The bylaws are clear on what constitutes a boat. A set of barrels with a garden shed on top does not meet the minimum safety seaworthy or navigation criteria.’

pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you sleep in it, it needs planning basically. The reason they don't get planning is they don't meet building regs, and to bring them up to regs it would just be cheaper to build traditionally.

Not sure if others saw Dermot Bannons small spaces program last night but there were two cabins featured in it and both had beds set up in them as well as toilets, showers, kitchen. Both looked bigger than 25sqm too, albeit not that much bigger, perhaps about 40sqm. When watching it was I thinking of this thread and how if you sleep in them then there is a breach of planning. The owners didnt seem to care about showing the beds on national tv.

Bannon himself built some sort of a cabin with outdoor bath in his back garden, he showed it on national tv and the planners in DCC started enforcement proceedings on it. I think he got permission for it in the end as it was under 25sqm but he had a bit of a battle first.

In any case there seems to be more and more of these log cabins popping up for rent on Daft. There are so many out there on the private rental market now that Id say it is only a matter of time before one of them goes on fire with the potential loss of life of the tenant. It will be kind of like Irelands Grenfell moment in that councils all over the country will wake up to the thousands of illegal structures being rented out with no fire retardant materials built into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a log cabin. Build on a purpose ready plot. It has planning and meets necessary regulation. Doing it properly is not cheap. It is effectively a 3 bed home with two bathrooms a full kitchen and living room.

But anyone who puts one of these up in a back garden and expects another human to live in it deserves what they get when they receive a takedown notice, infringement, fine etc...

Dwellings need planning, they need to be built for purpose, they need to be safe and provide a healthy environment.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure if others saw Dermot Bannons small spaces program last night but there were two cabins featured in it and both had beds set up in them as well as toilets, showers, kitchen. Both looked bigger than 25sqm too, albeit not that much bigger, perhaps about 40sqm. When watching it was I thinking of this thread and how if you sleep in them then there is a breach of planning. The owners didnt seem to care about showing the beds on national tv.

Bannon himself built some sort of a cabin with outdoor bath in his back garden, he showed it on national tv and the planners in DCC started enforcement proceedings on it. I think he got permission for it in the end as it was under 25sqm but he had a bit of a battle first.

In any case there seems to be more and more of these log cabins popping up for rent on Daft. There are so many out there on the private rental market now that Id say it is only a matter of time before one of them goes on fire with the potential loss of life of the tenant. It will be kind of like Irelands Grenfell moment in that councils all over the country will wake up to the thousands of illegal structures being rented out with no fire retardant materials built into them.

I was saying the exact same thing last night when I was watching this, mental stuff. They will thank Bannon if these people get tackled on them

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a log cabin. Build on a purpose ready plot. It has planning and meets necessary regulation. Doing it properly is not cheap. It is effectively a 3 bed home with two bathrooms a full kitchen and living room.

But anyone who puts one of these up in a back garden and expects another human to live in it deserves what they get when they receive a takedown notice, infringement, fine etc...

Dwellings need planning, they need to be built for purpose, they need to be safe and provide a healthy environment.

Thankfully someone with real life experiences of the cost of one up to regs/spec would you mind sharing the actual costs with people to finally put this to bed, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Thankfully someone with real life experiences of the cost of one up to regs/spec would you mind sharing the actual costs with people to finally put this to bed, thanks

I agree. Myself and half the country would be interested in how you got this to work. I'd appreciate if you could tell us how it went.

Odelay wrote: »
    I agree. Myself and half the country would be interested in how you got this to work. I'd appreciate if you could tell us how it went.

It was about 30+ years ago, so may not be applicable. All I can say is that we were one of the first in the country to do it and it wasn't an easy process. However it's not a rental property and is built to be lived in. Design etc is a different challenge because of the way it goes together.

Big warning ⚠️ in Finland the rain falls from above... In Ireland it rains horizontally... With allot of force... Don't be upset if your log cabin rots within 10 years. The timber edges on each corner are end grain and water will actually drive in and your cabin 'may' crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Thinking the same thing while watching Bannon last night! Even paused the tv to read that disclaimer at end of programee abuot checking with authority/planning etc :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a log cabin. Build on a purpose ready plot. It has planning and meets necessary regulation. Doing it properly is not cheap.

Emphasis added.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was saying the exact same thing last night when I was watching this, mental stuff. They will thank Bannon if these people get tackled on them

Yeah even though they didnt look like they were intended for habitation year around still showing them with beds, toilet, kitchen, etc as a habitable building contrary to planning regs doesnt seem like the best of ideas. I wouldnt be surprised if Bannon broadcasting that gets them in trouble. Bannon should know better given that his own cabin structure attracted a planners enforcement notice after it was shown on tv.

If you are going to build a log cabin as a dwelling, buy a plot with a dwelling on it, with electricity supply, water, drainage and sewerage. The dwelling should ideally be the same size as the cabin you want to put there...

Otherwise, if you intend to build in a garden, you'll require change of use and a professional survey of available services. You'll need to have the land divided up by a qualified surveyor, architect and solicitor... If the property is deemed big enough and suitable for the project, also you'll need to have suitable access and in some localities, parking.

Consider the mews houses in areas like d4... They are required to be of a very high quality of design and cost allot to get them approved, and generally have good access via Georgian lanes.

BTW, in an urban or suburban setting a log cabin (in relation to planning) may not be considered a suitable building, they do not represent the urban vernacular, and they are not designed to last the way urban buildings are and have a limited life span which may be useful in rural areas, but not in or near the city.

AND if you think your neighbor has got away with building one....

They haven't, they will remain open to litigation, it's unlikely their structure will meet requirements for a dwelling... Even if they are eventually able to apply for retention of the building, it will still not be considered habitable... They will be open for law suits and once one is successfully brought, the floodgates will open... And they'll deserve it when they lose their shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There are loads of these things around.
    Airbnb is full of them.
    My Dad has one and he turned it into a bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

JimmyVik wrote: »
    There are loads of these things around.
    Airbnb is full of them.
    My Dad has one and he turned it into a bar.

A bar does not need to be habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Caranica wrote: »
    A bar does not need to be habitable.

Its not habitable, but it has a pullout bed.

Friends have often slept in it :)
    Its even got a bathroom.
    I told him he should put it on airbnb. He wont because he would have to remove the kegs and the bottles. Too tempting :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its not habitable, but it has a pullout bed.

Friends have often slept in it :)
    Its even got a bathroom.
    I told him he should put it on airbnb. He wont because he would have to remove the kegs and the bottles. Too tempting :)

And it would require planning.

Thats it - threads over. People cannot resist suggesting illegal things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement