Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabins in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know its been bandied about plenty but how about an updated version of Dominic Stevens vernacular house that meets part l and m requirements? .

it needs to meet ALL parts... not just those two.
    Would it take much more to get it there?.

how do you know that particular build isnt regulation compliant??

the architect himself says
    Please note, while all this should be possible in Ireland, it is imperative that you have an assigned certifier who may be an architect or engineer to advise you at all stages of the project. You are responsible for meeting local codes and legislation. You must satisfy yourself regarding the application of statutory requirements, local building regulations, codes, insurance certification or other requirements or recommendations relevant to the location where and materials with which you plan to build. Where required you should always seek the advice of a relevant qualified professional.

as has been said before... there is absolutely nothing stopping people building "tiny homes" once these comply with relevant planning and building regulation standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

sydthebeat wrote: »
    it needs to meet ALL parts... not just those two.

how do you know that particular build isnt regulation compliant??

the architect himself says

as has been said before... there is absolutely nothing stopping people building "tiny homes" once these comply with relevant planning and building regulation standards.

Yep, ninja edit for the m and l requirements part as I really meant all (those are just the commonly quoted ones) :D Regs wise I just assumed it may need updating as I'm not entirely sure when it was build and when things changed but if not all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I know its been bandied about plenty but how about an updated version of Dominic Stevens vernacular house that meets the various requirements? Would it take much more to get it there? I remember reading an architects blog post on it and once the workmanship was done well u values were coming in at close to passive.

Yes, that came to my mind as well. My link stored from a few years ago: http://www.dominicstevensarchitect.net/#/25k-house-prototype/

It is very pertinent to the OPs question, providing basic suitable accommodation that meets reasonable standards should be within the reach of ordinary citizens. IMHO, there are too many vested interests across the whole spectrum of housing provision who have an interest in seeing costs kept high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

As I understand it, you cannot build a 60m2 three bed house in Ireland no matter how fine the design or materials and no matter how suitable the site might be. It is below the minimum size allowable. Am I correct on this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

As I understand it, you cannot build a 60m2 three bed house in Ireland no matter how fine the design or materials and no matter how suitable the site might be. It is below the minimum size allowable. Am I correct on this?

Why would you want to build a thing like that?

See page 49 here for minimum sizes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad%252C1979%252Cen.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwissIbJ6ZbhAhUxUBUIHTiaDocQFjADegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3OQAIib0pJqvATZOWhNYL1

A three bedroom house is not a "tiny house"....

Design obviously can be clever if you can show the sharing of spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

sydthebeat wrote: »

The Stevens House is 60 square meters and so way below the 'target' for a 3-bed 4-person house (73 square meters) and below what seems to be the absolute minimum 71 square meters to allow for a double bedroom and two single bedroom, some living area and some storage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why would you want to build a thing like that?

To live in? As mentioned above, there was many a 50m2 2up/ 2down house built in this country that housed families far larger than the average now.

Not everyone needs or wants to live in the bloated mansions despoiling many parts of the country with their multiple ensuite bedrooms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

BarryD2 wrote: »
    To live in? As mentioned above, there was many a 50m2 2up/ 2down house built in this country that housed families far larger than the average now.

Not everyone needs or wants to live in the bloated mansions despoiling many parts of the country with their multiple ensuite bedrooms.

2 up, 2 downs were built without bathrooms and involved cramming each bedroom, with 6 to a bed in some cases. Who wants that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

BarryD2 wrote: »

It helped that the 'toilet' was outside, the bath could hang on the wall when not in use and children could/would bunk up 3 or 4 to a mattress.

As a country, I'm glad standards have improved since then.

All rather academic anyway as there's no likelihood we'll be returning to 'the good old days'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 christy G

You see a lot of them up now and there is noway they have planning, as they know it will get refused and waste of time and money so people are just doing what they like now and hope for the best they dont get a letter from the council,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

christy G wrote: »
    You see a lot of them up now and there is noway they have planning, as they know it will get refused and waste of time and money so people are just doing what they like now and hope for the best they dont get a letter from the council,

Can't blame them tbh. FG have failed us all on housing.

BanditLuke wrote: »

True but is it worth the risk , they could make you take it down and then you would still have to pay 30k back , if it Is a certain size i know they cant make you take it down only take out the bathroom and kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Did FG decide the building standards? Should they ignore technical advice and just do what the public would like?

I have no loyalty to any part but such petty point scoring that doesn't even make sense is something people have to get over. Building regulation are completely valid if you have an issue with them you should really state why they should be changed. This is not a political issue but a matter of health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

We built a log cabin about 25+ years ago... They are great, warm, efficient, homely etc... but the 100% do need planning permission.

One thing to note... In Finland the rain falls down from the sky, almost vertically. In ireland the rain lashes horizontally, this is not good when you have exposed edges of wood... Do with all that as you wish.

Pro's:
    Nice
    Warm
    Cozy
    Homely
    Flexible Design
    Cost Effective
    Easily heated

Con's:
    Irish weather
    Irish weather

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know a few people that put them up.You can have them up in a few days, whats the alternative? pay E1800 for a one bed minimum or live in house shares? many of them in total (but funnily enough) legal kips?

Spending 30k on them is ballsy enough though, its a risk reward thing. Four months back, one mate was quote 7k cash for 25 sq m one bed, built and insulated, included gutters. obviously not services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I know a few people that put them up.You can have them up in a few days, whats the alternative? pay E1800 for a one bed minimum or live in house shares? many of them in total (but funnily enough) legal kips?

Spending 30k on them is ballsy enough though, its a risk reward thing. Four months back, one mate was quote 7k cash for 25 sq m one bed, built and insulated, included gutters. obviously not services.

The alternative is to build to current code that you are legally required to do. You might get away with it for a while but it will never get an exemption.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The alternative is to build to current code that you are legally required to do. You might get away with it for a while but it will never get an exemption.

ok and if you cant afford to do that? Stay in a **** situation? The current taxes and standards, price many out of options. It creates a far bigger problem, than it solves IMO.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Did FG decide the building standards? Should they ignore technical advice and just do what the public would like?

I have no loyalty to any part but such petty point scoring that doesn't even make sense is something people have to get over. Building regulation are completely valid if you have an issue with them you should really state why they should be changed. This is not a political issue but a matter of health and safety.

the government cream off a lot of the cost of a new build. Should standards be changed? look, I agree with them being very well insulated etc. But with apartments for example, the dual aspect requirement, ads significantly to the cost. You are asking people to shop in m and s on an aldi budget. That is the issue.

• Advertisement

just wondering if anyone here has built one did you try get planning permission or just go ahead and get it built?

I'm looking at building a logcabin or 1 bedroom flat made out of brick, my neighbour built an extension out there back so I dont see the point in telling them before I get it done . And my neighbour at the end of my road has a 3 bed logcabin which they got built last year no problem with the other neighbours .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the government cream off a lot of the cost of a new build. Should standards be changed? look, I agree with them being very well insulated etc. But with apartments for example, the dual aspect requirement, ads significantly to the cost. You are asking people to shop in m and s on an aldi budget. That is the issue.

Dual aspect requirement has been gone a while now.
    It’s obviously still a bonus but I don’t think it’s a requirement.

just wondering if anyone here has built one did you try get planning permission or just go ahead and get it built?

I'm looking at building a logcabin or 1 bedroom flat made out of brick, my neighbour built an extension out there back so I dont see the point in telling them before I get it done . And my neighbour at the end of my road has a 3 bed logcabin which they got built last year no problem with the other neighbours .

Gumbo wrote: »
    Dual aspect requirement has been gone a while now.
    It’s obviously still a bonus but I don’t think it’s a requirement.

I think its just gone for some apartments depending on their aspect, should be abolished entirely IMO...

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

christy_G this is not the place to ask if you can get away with ignoring the planning laws. Please read the forum charter and Boards terms of use.

All; do not post Material that promotes or encourages illegal activity.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fascinating to see that you consider the laws of the land bull****.

As a result of this law we have thousands of “illegal” dwellings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

a lot of people around me putting up log cabins that are kind of bought flat pack and put together on site. none of these have planning permission is this ok to do?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    . none of these have planning permission is this ok to do?

i think youve answered your own question here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    a lot of people around me putting up log cabins that are kind of bought flat pack and put together on site. none of these have planning permission is this ok to do?

It depends on a few things. they might be exempt. It depends on what they are being used for. they might be ok used as a store or man cave etc but not as a dwelling. Even at that there are requirements as to size and footprint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement