Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Distributor Road

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

marvin80 wrote: »
    Cycle lanes are not legally compulsory:
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclists-obliged-cycle-lanes-ireland/

Cyclists are vulnerable road users so only fair they decide where there more comfortable cycling.
    I've used the cycle lanes on the Western Distributor a few times and not a big fan of it - there's a ridge between the footpath and cycle lane - I've heard of a few cyclists taking falls as a result of it.

Cheers, sounds like poor design & not fit for it's purpose if it's causing falls.

Thanks for explaining why they might use the road instead.

Shame the council didn't have that sorted in the planning stages rather than after spending all that money. (Wider road incorporating the cycle lane might have been more safer & practical than putting the pedestrian walkway & cycle lane together, esp if the cyclist is now left feeling safer on the narrow roadway)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barangutan

It's funny you bring it up, I was driving down it with my nephew a couple of weeks ago and there were a few cyclists in front of us. He asked why they weren't using the cycle path and I explained (as a keen cyclist) some of the reasons why they might have chosen to ride on the road instead.

One thing I said is that they might have simply missed the merge up onto the cycle path. When you cycle in a county with (until recently) virtually zero segregated cycling infrastructure, you just sort of forget to expect it. You're so used to just cycling left of a painted line or on the hard shoulder.

And as it happens, that exact thing happened me a week later when I was cycling out of Oakfield. Found myself cycling on the road alongside the cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gazebothing

marvin80 wrote: »
    Cycle lanes are not legally compulsory:

Cyclists are vulnerable road users so only fair they decide where there more comfortable cycling.
    I've used the cycle lanes on the Western Distributor a few times and not a big fan of it - there's a ridge between the footpath and cycle lane - I've heard of a few cyclists taking falls as a result of it.

The ridge between the footpath and the cycle lane is a design requirement, it is there to segregate the cyclists from the pedestrians.
    I would say that the proper TDF wannabes cycle on the road, as there is a lot of people are walking/jogging along this route and are often on the cycle lane and they dont want to slow down to effect their strava times. Most of the average commuter/leisure cyclists Ive seen use the cycle lane.

Advertisement